The Name of the Deep Sea Dragon S......!!

Sombra.3246

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:Smaug ..ehm, oh, no ,already taken, my bad xD

How about ( looking for names that go
smooth
over the togue)
  • Siendeidaras
  • Shyllaeth
  • Sathaerloss
  • Sharinnedo'ul (a bit more playing around with spelling here, makng this way the name sound more interesting)
  • Shaesadethr
  • Sheherazade (jk xD)

somethign alogn this I'd surely vote for it as name ^^ Most likely if it woudl go after me and my idea,s it take Sharinnedo'ul I guess

meh, i doubt everyone is able to read these names.

And people complain Kralkatorrik is too hard to remember and pronounce...

@Orpheal.8263 said:Smaug ..ehm, oh, no ,already taken, my bad xD

How about ( looking for names that go
smooth
over the togue)
  • Siendeidaras
  • Shyllaeth
  • Sathaerloss
  • Sharinnedo'ul (a bit more playing around with spelling here, makng this way the name sound more interesting)
  • Shaesadethr
  • Sheherazade (jk xD)

somethign alogn this I'd surely vote for it as name ^^ Most likely if it woudl go after me and my idea,s it take Sharinnedo'ul I guess

meh, i doubt everyone is able to read these names.

I agree.

Personally I don't think they will name it. If the name is lost to history, unless it comes up to introduce itself with a wave and a handshake, then I suspect if we ever encounter it, they will use "Deep Sea Dragon" or equivalent.

If they do name it, I hope they use it as a good way of digging further back into older rises. We've touched upon it a little with the Mursaat tablets and a few other bits, but I think if we could somehow uncover something much older than previously discovered, then that could be really intriguing

If its minions speak like 4 out of 5 other dragons' minions, then it will get named by its forces if nothing else.

And getting more details on the prior rise would be nice, especially to iron out the inconsistencies (was it 10,000 or 3,000 years ago? ANET YOU KEEP GOING BACK AND FORTH!).

Come to think about it, the names all originate from the Dragons themselves. So if it was written down, a race would have previously discovered before from the Dragon/Minions. I wonder, rather than just use speech, we will "sense" it somehow from them - that would be more in keeping with a horror/eldritch style if they choose to use that theme for the Dragon.

If I remeber well, the name "Mordremoth" simply got to us from the mere presence of the dragon. I believe their names are just felt, known in the subconscious mind even before anyone actually write them.

Scylla is just perfect, IMO.

I believe bobby stein confirmed we knew it because it of knowledge within the pact, they just did a bad job of conveying it, hence why it seemed to come from nowhere

I think what had happened here was a missing piece of plot, which was included in the alternate scenario that was suppose to occur at the Season 1 with the death of Scarlet. Season 1 had an alternate ending in which Marjory died and Scarlet revealed that she served Mordremoth. There is also additional dialogue talking about Mordremoth in the Season 1 ending instance. So if Scarlet revealed this information and then they talk more about Mordremoth in the dead end bar, it makes more sense how we jumped to the conclusion that Mordremoth was behind the attacks in Season 2 as they had a much better reveal at the end of Season 1. I suspect that they forgot about this detail, hence why the scene doesn’t make sense.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Fenom.9457" said:I hope the selbbub joke is honored somewhere in game but sadly we all know that would NOT be a menacing name for the dragon

Random Quaggan: "Coo. Scary dragon too scary. Quaggan makes it less scary by changing its name. Dragon's name is now Bubbles. Bubbles not scary."

-minion attack-

Random Quaggan: "Quaggan was wrong! Bubbles scary! Bubbles very scary! FooOOoo!"

This. Must. Happen!

It is not know. All we know is he initial. "S".A few devs favor the name "Selbbub" some people made up after learning it starts with S, not wanting to give up "Bubbles", they simply reversed it as it ended with S.

If we look at the names of the other dragons, they appear to follow different patterns:

• Jormag is clearly reminiscent of "Jörmungandr", and goes close to the norse theme of the norn.
  • Kralkatorrik seems to be more about the feeling of the sound. Lightning crackle, cracks in crystals.
  • Mordremoth's name could have been inspired by "Modredus" and "Mordred".
  • Primordus's name reminds of "Primordial", as in "primordial rock".
  • Zhaitan's name sounds like a mix of "Satan" and "Zombie", but I suspect that was just a coincidence.But all the names match the vibe of each dragon we've seen.

Seeing how silent, secrete and secluded "S" is, the name has to have quite some esses.SssssThen let's give it a feel of tentacles and wobbly water, since all anyone has ever seen from S was minions that seemed to be made out of water itself, and that looked like tentacles. So we need some undulating and gobbling sounds here. Ups and downs for the vowels, starting with a low, dark vowel as S would come from below.SaseesaseeThen add some watery wobbles and gargles...SawsbleessgarsgleesWell... that didn't go well... Let's try to streamline that into something that looks less stupid...SawbeesgarnesarA little more tweak...Sawinganezzar.Oh, I know, let's put the "sh" sound of waves in a shore at the end and tweak it a bit more and...Sabenganesh.Ok. I give up. Forget all of that. Something tells me that "S" a she, and that she's called "Señor Bubbles", like a female cat being called "Mr Snookums" for a long time but then the family realizes it was a she, but calling a female cat "Mr" was kind of cure and they have been calling her that for a long time, so it stuck.It's the only logical possibility. left.

"Señor Bubbles" it is. Take it to the print.

@"MithranArkanere.8957" said:It is not know. All we know is he initial. "S".A few devs favor the name "Selbbub" some people made up after learning it starts with S, not wanting to give up "Bubbles", they simply reversed it as it ended with S.

If we look at the names of the other dragons, they appear to follow different patterns:

• Jormag is clearly reminiscent of "Jörmungandr", and goes close to the norse theme of the norn.
  • Kralkatorrik seems to be more about the feeling of the sound. Lightning crackle, cracks in crystals.
  • Mordremoth's name could have been inspired by "Modredus" and "Mordred".
  • Primordus's name reminds of "Primordial", as in "primordial rock".
  • Zhaitan's name sounds like a mix of "Satan" and "Zombie", but I suspect that was just a coincidence.But all the names match the vibe of each dragon we've seen.

Seeing how silent, secrete and secluded "S" is, the name has to have quite some esses.SssssThen let's give it a feel of tentacles and wobbly water, since all anyone has ever seen from S was minions that seemed to be made out of water itself, and that looked like tentacles. So we need some undulating and gobbling sounds here. Ups and downs for the vowels, starting with a low, dark vowel as S would come from below.SaseesaseeThen add some watery wobbles and gargles...SawsbleessgarsgleesWell... that didn't go well... Let's try to streamline that into something that looks less stupid...SawbeesgarnesarA little more tweak...Sawinganezzar.Oh, I know, let's put the "sh" sound of waves in a shore at the end and tweak it a bit more and...Sabenganesh.Ok. I give up. Forget all of that. Something tells me that "S" a she, and that she's called "Señor Bubbles", like a female cat being called "Mr Snookums" for a long time but then the family realizes it was a she, but calling a female cat "Mr" was kind of cure and they have been calling her that for a long time, so it stuck.It's the only logical possibility. left.

"Señor Bubbles" it is. Take it to the print.

Sabenganesh is actually pretty good

@derd.6413 said:

@Tyson.5160 said:Kinda hope it’s a female Elder Dragon. Would be a nice change of pace.

i thought the EDs were androgynous

Yeah this is a strange one, Mordremoth through Heart of Thorns is described as an it rather then a male for example and yet Kralkatorrik is being described as male, which leaves me to believe that they have a gender of some sort.

: That crystal monster—he's HUNTING her!: Kralkatorrik beat back Glint's army. Now he's gorging on the Domain of the Lost.There is also an event that references Jormag as male as well.I’ll search and see if I can find any other gender specific references for the dragons.

@derd.6413 said:

@Tyson.5160 said:Kinda hope it’s a female Elder Dragon. Would be a nice change of pace.

It's more that Tyrians don't really know their gender/sex or if they have one. For all we know, Zhaitan and Primordus are female. And Jormag. Heck, Mordremoth could be too, tbh.

Kralkatorrik is the only one who's gender has been attributed, though Kralkatorrik is called equally he and it.

(Clarification: IIRC Jormag's gender is also attributed, as male, by Sons of Svanir but they're rather sexist so not a good source).

Though it has been suggested that dragons are overall sexless and reproduce asexually, which would mean none of them - even Glint, Aurene, and Vlast - have a biological sex, but attribute themselves more as male or female as other races see. It would also mean there is no father for Vlast/Aurene, and no mother for Glint (though I still fancy the idea that Primordus could be Glint's mother due to the brief similarity in their GW1 models and Primordus' apparent obsession with Glint's children).

@Tyson.5160 said:

Yeah this is a strange one, Mordremoth through Heart of Thorns is described as an it rather then a male for example and yet Kralkatorrik is being described as male, which leaves me to believe that they have a gender of some sort.
: That crystal monster—he's HUNTING her!: Kralkatorrik beat back Glint's army. Now he's gorging on the Domain of the Lost.There is also an event that references Jormag as male as well.I’ll search and see if I can find any other gender specific references for the dragons.

it's not uncommon to refer to androgynous things or things with unknown genders as he. jormag is kinda a special case since the religion that surrounds him is practiced by extremely bigoted peeps. (the sons of svanir) so it makes sense they refer to jormag as he.

in the end it doesn't really matter tho

It's more that Tyrians don't really know their gender/sex or if they have one. For all we know, Zhaitan and Primordus
are
female. And Jormag. Heck, Mordremoth could be too, tbh.

Kralkatorrik is the only one who's gender has been attributed, though Kralkatorrik is called equally he and it.

(Clarification: IIRC Jormag's gender is also attributed, as male, by Sons of Svanir but they're rather sexist so not a good source).

Though it has been suggested that dragons are overall sexless and reproduce asexually, which would mean none of them - even Glint, Aurene, and Vlast - have a biological sex, but attribute themselves more as male or female as other races see. It would also mean there is no father for Vlast/Aurene, and no mother for Glint (though I still fancy the idea that Primordus could be Glint's mother due to the brief similarity in their GW1 models and Primordus' apparent obsession with Glint's children).

Rytlock Brimstone: We've driven him out of the sky!Caithe: He's still dangerous! Watch yourselves!Eir Stegalkin: We almost have him! Pour it on!

In reference to the final battle with Zhaitan. They are all calling Zhaitan him, which is also interesting.

@derd.6413 said:

it's not uncommon to refer to androgynous things or things with unknown genders as he. jormag is kinda a special case since the religion that surrounds him is practiced by extremely bigoted peeps. (the sons of svanir) so it makes sense they refer to jormag as he.

in the end it doesn't really matter tho

I guess it would interesting to me if the DSD was reference as a she, much like Glint and Aurene.

@"Tyson.5160" said:In reference to the final battle with Zhaitan. They are all calling Zhaitan him, which is also interesting.

Eh, like derd said, it's pretty standard practice to refer to individuals with unknown gender as masculine. It's a practice born out of "it" being considered rude to use when referring to others. "They" has become a more common practice as of late, and some folks do use feminine pronouns from time to time. Doesn't really mean too much.

@"Tyson.5160" said:In reference to the final battle with Zhaitan. They are all calling Zhaitan him, which is also interesting.

Eh, like derd said, it's pretty standard practice to refer to individuals with unknown gender as masculine. It's a practice born out of "it" being considered rude to use when referring to others. "They" has become a more common practice as of late, and some folks do use feminine pronouns from time to time. Doesn't really mean too much.

Yeah no, I realize this, I just think it would be nice flavour for the DSD to be referenced as female.

Funny thing, I scoured through all the text referencing Mordremoth and it’s always referred to as an it and never give a gender, same with Primordus. I suspect that the Zhaitan reference was just an anomaly during the writing process.

Glint and Aurene on the other hand are considered female and Vlast considered male, I assume Anet is just canonically making Kralk a male.

• 3 weeks later...