Guardian or Revenant for new player?

Caderyn.5432

Hey folks, I've owned GW2 for years but haven't played it much until now. My goal is to play through the PVE line before getting much into PvP.

With that in mind, I've played all of the classes that I'm interested in to level 21. I've settled on either Guardian or Revenant. I like the lore and the game play (I like to face tank).

So here is what I'm looking for in a class:

• Something that's good for PvE solo
  • Something that will allow me to branch out into grouping when time permits
  • Something that will let me dabble in PvP and have some fun. However, I don't care about the perfect PvP class right now...If I get to 80 and don't like the class that I pick then I'll level a different one.

I've gotten both Guardian and Revenant to 25 and need to pick one. I'm leaning towards the Revenant because I like the lore. My concern is that people on forums say that in the end game you get pigeonholed into one or two viable specs. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is for a new player who doesn't care about min/maxing though.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I have all xpacs

Play the one wich seems to be more fun overall to you. This includes lore, class fantasy, viable armor transmogs (fashion wars you know) and gameplay. I play necro since day one the asthetics, lore, class fantasy and the gameplay of the power reaper is my thing. A long time power reaper had no real place in the meta and imo is still struggling to find a decent spot. But i'm doing all kind of game modes, raiding high tier fractals without any problems just ny making friends ingame and find a good guil wich suits me.So if you want to play Rev enjoy it and find some mates to play with.

I usually recommend Guardian for a starter class. It is sort of easy to handle, has good melee and ranged options, allows both tactical and berserker approaches. Can be played solo but also has plenty of options for teamplay & support. The elite specializations are both viable in almost all game modes. With the firebrand there is a good option to go even full support. You also have access to several different skill-types (shouts, signets, mantras, traps), so you actually learn stuff you can use when playing other classes.

But when you pick a main, you should mostly focus on what you like and enjoy. What keeps you interested in the game and motivated to continue your adventure. If the Revenant is your choice, stick with that. It is quite unique in both appearance and playstyle.

Viability does not equal fun.

For long-term goal I'd recommend to choose rev, the energy management system is not easy to handle, you'll need more time to master this class. Rev is good in pve and outstanding in competition mode

Guardian, on the other hand, is well-balanced for all game mode, it's easy to get used to it because you don't need cost anything to use skill.

As rev you have to keep an eye on energy/skill cd/current weapon set, most ppl might just can on sword/sword all the time but other weapon has its usage too.

As guardian you don't have energy problem, just use right skill/weapon at right moment.

its also a thing of... what you want to play with your class .... i can tell you tpvp for rev ....> you can just earn hate from pvp players just for playing rev ... no matter how good you are, if you have most top stats, carried the whole team, deff points and win matches ... one mistake and you get called noob, botter or else ... pvp is very often frustrating

Guardian, because has much more flexibility and several builds viable in multiple game modes. Revenant is a utterly rigid class with only one viable build (power Herald) in PvP in 3 years and a single competitive build (condi Renegade) for high end PvE content (raids and fractals).

If you plan to do PvE note one thing.Guardian is one of the most played classes. There is abundance of supply of it on the market.Renegade on the other hand is not.

I would honestly love if more players played revenant since it seems to me that lack of serious revenants is part of the reason why druid+chrono combination is so dominant in PUG

Looking into possible future pvp, it all depends on what style you like. Core guard got nerfed pretty heavily today so firebrand is really the only good guard build left, meaning you'd have to play support. Rev is more of a damage spiker and roamer. Don't know if it helps you decide but there ya go.

• 5 weeks later...

Rev is cool. You cannot choose your skills but you can swap a legend when out of combat and choose a set of skills that you need. Although you can do different combinations end game rev really has 1-2 builds that can be considered viable(but you can find a new one that suits yourself). It can be really good, like broken, or nerfed to hell.

Guardian was always good, is still good and will always be good.

Revs more fun imo, u lose the ability to change utilities but more often than not most classes have a handful of useful utilities and the rest useless so u usually only swap between a few anyways and with rev u get 2 sets to swap between at anytime. Both guard and rev have great skill visuals and effects. I'd say revs skull cieling is higher.

I'd vote for Guardian. They have a lot of flexibility -- melee, mid-range, long-range, support, healing, DPS, group, solo -- and you have the full range of game mechanisms, skill and talent mechanisms, and weapon choices. My Rev is my least-played character because they're modal and you have unique maintenance mechanics and no utility skill choices. We can argue that not all Guardian options are really viable in various circumstances, but one of the things that keeps open world or more casual PvE interesting is playing with various choices. (More serious endeavors and teams will inevitably force you into the meta mold, but that will happen with either profession.)

@Arkantos.7460 said:GUARD,because rev has a focus on energy system AND COULDOWNS wich is highly to much for new players

It's really not that difficult, especially if you are learning on the class, and leveling up naturally. You dont need to focus on anything but CDs for the first 10-15 levels, depending on how many HPs you pick up (maybe more depending on the legend you go for, or if you fill it out before moving to the next), and even then, it's fairly easy to see how to manage it after dealing with both fo a few levels.

I chose guardian for my first character. I always loved playing heavy armor, 2h wielding, melee with a bit of magic classes. My only problem with guardian after six years (not a steady six, either), is the low health pool. It is a very easy class to learn, though.