What professions can I play in WvW?

Squirrel.6318

I keep getting bashed for being a deadeye in WvW, i'm not sure why at all, i'm sick of tired of all these immature fucks bashing me for playing a profession I like. Everywhere I go everyone makes fun of me for being a deadeye. I get kicked out of squads for being one. I get made fun of when i'm playing solo in WvW as a deadeye. It's my main so I prefer to play it, but I also have two other characters being a mesmer and a ranger. What do people want in WvW nowadays?

Deadeye, in a zerg, just isn't helpful in a squad as it doesn't really provide boons and ends up just taking a spot that could be used for another to get boons, one playing a class that is more helpful in large scale. As for why you're getting made fun of or trash talked, you apparently are unaware of how cheesey Deadeye is in PvP situations. It can literally perma stealth which means that it doesn't have to be in any danger until it is about to either shoot you for 10k or hit you with a Malicious Backstab for 18k.

Thematically sure, Deadeye + perma stealth = cool because sniper but in terms of balance in PvP its an atrocious nightmare.

As for what you "can" play in terms for classes it really depends on what you are doing; Roaming, Havoc, or Zerg. Mesmer, Thief and Ranger are all classes that are fantastic, some would say too good, for roaming but less helpful (with the exception of Chronomancer) in a zerg. Whereas you have Guardian, Necromancer, and Revenant which are desired primarily for a zerg. There is some cross over with other classes but Ranger and Thief don't really fit that criteria, at least for right now.

You can play anything. But keep in mind that some classes are better for zerging, others excel at roaming. Deadeye is a great roamer. Not useful in zergs. Scourge is necessary in zergs. It is a sitting dick as a roamer.You dont need to be in a squad to play as a deadeye. And i honestly have a hard time believing that people mock you for playing a roamer deadeye, one of the best options out there.For zerging: reve, firebrand, scourge, spellbreaker, heal scrapper, boonshare chrono, staff weaverFor roaming: holo, ranger, thief, mirage (mesmer in general), DH, reaper, core warr, spellbreaker, anything you like really

Simple answer derived from the following question:

What benefit are you bringing to the squad?

This might seem basic at first (and it is), but remember, any class is starting with multiple disadvantages here:

• if you die to early you become a rally bot for the other side
  • single target damage gets outperformed by area damage
  • melee damage is a lot more dangerous than ranged
  • not every class/specialization provides good or any benefits in form of boons, perks or class abilities

Going by this simple list, let's see how the Deadeye stacks up?

• Deadeye in zerker gear is a rally bot for the other side, Deadeye not in zerker gear does shit damage
  • Deadeyes excell at single target damage (not without being damage stacked). Not as useful as area cleave
  • ranged damage is fine, in melee ranged a Daredevil would be far superior for its melee cleave
  • Deadeye provides very little if at all group support

In short: your Deadeye is a far greater liability and actually a detriment to the squad. It's a great roamer, but terrible for squad combat.

Do the top check for a class and you will often get to the conclusion of why certain classes are meta and desired and others are not.

Thanks guys... I think i'll try a scourge, but I don't have one yet. Is revernant any good? I also have a firebrand, but I find it sort of boring.

@"Voltekka.2375" said:You dont need to be in a squad to play as a deadeye. And i honestly have a hard time believing that people mock you for playing a roamer deadeye, one of the best options out there.

I experience it at least twice a week roaming, like i'm just going around taking camps for my daily wvw. And some guys come around and say in local chat "wtf are you doing deadeye" or "lol deadeye." Sick of it. It's pretty much online bullying.

I once had a time where I was in a squad and the commander kept making fun of me and eventually kicked me for being a deadeye, and then everyone in map chat starting making fun of me.

@Squirrel.6318 said:Thanks guys... I think i'll try a scourge, but I don't have one yet. Is revernant any good?

@"Voltekka.2375" said:You can play anything. But keep in mind that some classes are better for zerging, others excel at roaming. Deadeye is a great roamer. Not useful in zergs. Scourge is necessary in zergs. It is a sitting kitten as a roamer.You dont need to be in a squad to play as a deadeye. And i honestly have a hard time believing that people mock you for playing a roamer deadeye, one of the best options out there.For zerging: reve, firebrand, scourge, spellbreaker, heal scrapper, boonshare chrono, staff weaverFor roaming: holo, ranger, thief, mirage (mesmer in general), DH, reaper, core warr, spellbreaker, anything you like really

I experience it at least twice a week roaming, like i'm just going around taking camps for my daily wvw. And some guys come around and say in local chat "kitten are you doing deadeye" or "lol deadeye." Sick of it. It's pretty much online bullying.

Those are the ones you just "Block" and move on. My Block list has 5 times more players on it does my "Friends" list, lol.

@Squirrel.6318 said:Thanks guys... I think i'll try a scourge, but I don't have one yet. Is revernant any good? I also have a firebrand, but I find it sort of boring.

@"Voltekka.2375" said:You dont need to be in a squad to play as a deadeye. And i honestly have a hard time believing that people mock you for playing a roamer deadeye, one of the best options out there.

I experience it at least twice a week roaming, like i'm just going around taking camps for my daily wvw. And some guys come around and say in local chat "kitten are you doing deadeye" or "lol deadeye." Sick of it. It's pretty much online bullying.

I once had a time where I was in a squad and the commander kept making fun of me and eventually kicked me for being a deadeye, and then everyone in map chat starting making fun of me.

Reve is great. Huge dmg from a distance, boons aplenty. Give it a go! Otherwise scourge is always sought after in zergs, as well.

@Squirrel.6318 said:Thanks guys... I think i'll try a scourge, but I don't have one yet. Is revernant any good? I also have a firebrand, but I find it sort of boring.

depending on the new wells the scrapper will get on tuesday (the effects are listet but vague and not the durations) you may aswell try engi. it could be decent for both smallscale and large scale.

@Squirrel.6318 said:Thanks guys... I think i'll try a scourge, but I don't have one yet. Is revernant any good? I also have a firebrand, but I find it sort of boring.If you can, try all the classes - I think it's great overall being able to see how they all play. I rotate between classes/builds/weaponsets all the time so it keeps things fresh as well, and you end up progressing quite a bit when you rotate.

First you should try to understand what professions work under zerg comp. You are getting kicked out of squad for playing a DE probably because it brings absolutely nothing to the table regarding squad comp/support and you may be taking up a slot that someone else using a more appropriate zerg build could benefit from. Funnily enough the 3 professions you mentioned excel really well in roaming/ganking as opposed to zerging, maybe except for mesmer if they are running portal/veil bot.

1. Firebrand (the backbone, everyone needs party wide stability + heals)
  2. Scourge (needed to mass strip enemy boons/AoE pressure)
  3. Rev (DPS, dwarf elite or alacrity if running Renegade)

These are the basics and have been for many, many years. Throw in a tempest or scrapper support, maybe even spell breaker or mesmer and you have something like the holy trinity of sorts. If you want to do DPS play rev or scourge... DE unfortunately is a sitting duck. You could maybe run staff daredevil but that requires a solid, coordinated group to back you up in order to secure those downs.

I ain't trying to be mean, just stating it plain and simple.

Play what you like and don't try to find a replacement just because a few salty people can't understand its a game and you should play with whichever class you wantI do understand the squad thingy, you bring no use for them as DE so its best you stay out of squads

I main staff DD and I'm not welcomed in squads either not even in smaller ones and I do fine without them...if I need a daily(Like a keep, or defending SM) I'm following one without joining the squads. They usually don't pay attention to me or maybe they just don't care that I stole their valuable slot or whatever...

Balance in WvW is garbage and is one of the reasons the game mode has died off (less than 600 viewers for GvG tourney yesterday, lol).

Last time I blobbed every group in the squad had at least 4 slots taken up by three elites (firebrand/scourge/herald), there were a couple of chronos and maybe 4 warriors, and guess what the comm was asking for more of, yep herald and scourge... 18 elites in the game and 3 of them make up at least 80% of the squad...

If you are a ghost sniper (which is getting a bit of a nerf tomorrow), I dont blame them. Lots of people call it a "coward" build. I play one when I feel trolly but not in serious WvW play.

Zerg wise, its not viable as it brings nothing. Roaming wise...its almost king. Come tomorrows patch, ghost DE's will need to work harder to be viable so it may not be an issue for you. Id say keep playing it.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Come tomorrows patch, ghost DE's will need to work harder to be viable so it may not be an issue for you. Id say keep playing it.people will still hate it regardless of viability. and while you still can play it after tomorrows patch, i dont think it is going to be able to compete against decent players on other viable roaming specs. be it mesmers, other thieves, rangers or probably even scrapper will be better (both in effortless stealth uptime and viability)

@MUDse.7623 said:

@"Squirrel.6318" said:Thanks guys... I think i'll try a scourge, but I don't have one yet. Is revernant any good? I also have a firebrand, but I find it sort of boring.

depending on the new wells the scrapper will get on tuesday (the effects are listet but vague and not the durations) you may aswell try engi. it could be decent for both smallscale and large scale.

Although i would love you to be right i wouldn't put all my hope in that basket. Even if the scrapper ends up being fantastic is going to be very difficult to move the meta, as the 3 classes already mandatory don't get enough changes to make them difficult enough to use so other classes are considered.

Because when people say "they do too much" they actually mean "they don't have any difficulty to use to give exceptional results". I used an FB and an SC for zergs and both are the same: extremely passive and boring builds. Yet with a push of a skills on CD you get an extremely good results, for your group and yourself.

Until the systems team see that and work not to nerf the builds but to make them more difficult to use effectively the problem with the actual meta will not be solved.

For example: Return FB mantras to be a cone area of effect. It was not a very good decission to make them PbAoE as it lowered the ceiling for the spec too much.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Squirrel.6318" said:Thanks guys... I think i'll try a scourge, but I don't have one yet. Is revernant any good? I also have a firebrand, but I find it sort of boring.

Although i would love you to be right i wouldn't put all my hope in that basket. Even if the scrapper ends up being fantastic is going to be very difficult to move the meta, as the 3 classes already mandatory don't get enough changes to make them difficult enough to use so other classes are considered.

not sure if with the 3 professions you mean roaming or zerg.for zerg you probably wont need too many scrappers but a few will be decent. even better condi cleanse/stealth then and they got some superspeed back.i think they will be best supporter for small scale. and for solo: depending on visibility of the stealth well, they might have a easy and reliably disengage. (now that it is also a smoke field, they can hit the stealth stack cap of 5 stacks within no time), thats all that you really need.Because when people say "they do too much" they actually mean "they don't have any difficulty to use to give exceptional results". I used an FB and an SC for zergs and both are the same: extremely passive and boring builds. Yet with a push of a skills on CD you get an extremely good results, for your group and yourself.

Until the systems team see that and work not to nerf the builds but to make them
more difficult to use effectively
the problem with the actual meta will not be solved.

For example: Return FB mantras to be a cone area of effect. It was not a very good decission to make them PbAoE as it lowered the ceiling for the spec too much.

that is a question anet has to decide. you see this is a casual game for 12+ years olds. every player has a finite amount of attention he can use, thats a resource. some have more, some have less. if you make professions difficult to play efficiently, then more attention will be put on your own skills, cooldowns, mechanics etc.. if you make them easier to play, you can use more attention for what your opponent is doing and your surroundings. now given that this is a casual game, many people wont have much attention left for their opponent/surrounding when the professions become too difficult, wich is a problem. because i do think it is important for the fun to be able to pay attention to what is actually happening around your character. so i do see it much more likely that more professions are simplified then the 'easy' ones becoming harder. afterall you shall fight your opponent, not your own mechanics.

Is Herald considerably more squishy than Scourge?

The reason I'm asking is because I've mained Scourge for so long that I want a change of pace. I have a Herald in Marauder gear with Soldier trinkets with Invocation/Retribution/Herald traits. However when in zerg situations, I find myself going down a lot easier than if I were playing Scourge. Of course this can be explained by my inexperience playing it.

If anyone knows a good Herald WvW guide (text/video), it'll be much appreciated!

@Squirrel.6318 said:Thanks guys... I think i'll try a scourge, but I don't have one yet. Is revernant any good? I also have a firebrand, but I find it sort of boring.Rev may have some higher numbers per hit, and is really strong. But for me, it's too slow compared to Scourge (due to cast time of skills). Dwarf Elite and F2 are awesome for sustain, so just try both and decide which playstyle you prefer :)Deadeye isn't good for squads indeed...Maybe as a scout, but definitely not as a blob unit.When it comes to squad fights, your allies must benefit of your skills (give them boons, barriers, heal or cleanse), and your attacks should be AoE, and preferably corrupting/stripping enemy boons. Then you're fine :)

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Come tomorrows patch, ghost DE's will need to work harder to be viable so it may not be an issue for you. Id say keep playing it.people will still hate it regardless of viability. and while you still can play it after tomorrows patch, i dont think it is going to be able to compete against decent players on other viable roaming specs. be it mesmers, other thieves, rangers or probably even scrapper will be better (both in effortless stealth uptime and viability)

Im looking forward on seeing what they do with the scrapper. Used to main it

@zinkz.7045 said:Balance in WvW is garbage and is one of the reasons the game mode has died off (less than 600 viewers for GvG tourney yesterday, lol).

Last time I blobbed every group in the squad had at least 4 slots taken up by three elites (firebrand/scourge/herald), there were a couple of chronos and maybe 4 warriors, and guess what the comm was asking for more of, yep herald and scourge... 18 elites in the game and 3 of them make up at least 80% of the squad...

Honestly, if I'd known about the tourney I'd have probably watched it. The GvG scene doesn't exactly advertise well unfortunately.

If you are a Thief main consider scouting, they make excellent scouts. I have seen some really good Thief scouts that can follow enemies all day and not die, always where they need to be and they can kill stragglers. Its an underappreciated role for sure.

I have seen some Thief hate but nowhere near what you are describing. Then again I play at lower tiers where its more relaxed. You should be able to play what you want and not get dumped on by teammates, if it keeps happening just transfer. I would not want to back people like that up anyways no matter what class I am playing.