Mounts make WvW Unplayable [LAG]

Tonight's reset was a horrible lagfest due to mounts. You have doubled the population of WvW by adding the mount. The servers already could not handle the number of players in WvW on reset--there was a lot of lag, but it was at least playable if you clicked skills. During tonight's reset it was virtually impossible to use skills--even clicking them. It is not a matter of getting a better computer or the "git gud" mentality. This is strictly a server capacity issue.

I feel that this all should have been taking into consideration before the attempt to monetize WvW through the mount addition and the impending gemstore skins. Dedicated WvW players have already left the game in hoards. Was there forethought on how this would affect truly dedicated WvW players?

I am left deeply saddened by how this change has had a negative effect on the game mode. Is this what you want WvW to be?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

totally unacceptable tonight. was very interested to try out both the mounts and recent balance changes in proper fights but we couldn't flesh anything out with the lag. reset night is looked forward to for many guilds/players, since it's really the peak of population and everyone is out to fight. to have it be so awful is really disheartening and I hope it's both acknowledged and addressed, or as it's been said, it will affect the lifetime of the game very fast.

@jakt.9381 said:Next week will be a different story. After the craze dies down 99% of anyone who didnt WvW before still wont. And a lot of people who did WvW before wont either. So there should be considerably less people going forward.

maps are always queue'd on reset, extra players is irrelevant. the lag has been there for months, but never this bad. EBG usually has it the worst but even on the alpine BL it was worse than SMC lag has ever been. it's fair to assume that the doubling of characters on the maps in the form of mounts is related, if not the cause.

@holydevil.5297 said:totally unacceptable tonight. was very interested to try out both the mounts and recent balance changes in proper fights but we couldn't flesh anything out with the lag. reset night is looked forward to for many guilds/players, since it's really the peak of population and everyone is out to fight. to have it be so awful is really disheartening and I hope it's both acknowledged and addressed, or as it's been said, it will affect the lifetime of the game very fast.

@jakt.9381 said:Next week will be a different story. After the craze dies down 99% of anyone who didnt WvW before still wont. And a lot of people who did WvW before wont either. So there should be considerably less people going forward.

maps are always queue'd on reset, extra players is irrelevant. the lag has been there for months, but never this bad. EBG usually has it the worst but even on the alpine BL it was worse than SMC lag has ever been. it's fair to assume that the doubling of characters on the maps in the form of mounts is related, if not the cause.

Wait until everyone has the mount...even this week we had some bad spikes at times.

@Teon.5168 said:

Agreed.

well its pretty much the end of next week and if anything the lag is worse now - getting 30 seconds of flashing skills where (on my screen) Im running around in the enemy zerg and then all of a sudden I fast forward at 3-4 times normal speed and Im nowhere near my zerg of the enemy

was hoping it was something as simple as that win 10 issue but I dont have the offending update

spoke with an anet team member in wvw and all he could say was they were aware of the issue and working on it

Can any dev respond whether they have tried playing on reset night since they put in the warclaw patch? There are many groups who run in NA prime who have been using the new Gyro skills to give their full mounted squad long durations of stealth (especially in t1). On Reset night, you will find the largest concentration of these groups. I have seen a response that the lag is a clientside issue, but i will go further and say that its a clientside bug, not something easily blamed on a PCs specs or connection speed. There has always been some server lag when its an smc battle with 3 full queues, I am not talking about this instance. I am talking about when a stealth 20 man engages a 40 man zerg, even in the far corners of a BL map, which i hasn't been a lag issue in years.

Since the patch, i have played on 3 machines, from two different highspeed (150mbit) low latency connections.

i7-6700k, GTX 1060, 16gb ram, no overlays - Will feel a stutter with game input being unable to be processed when the enemy pops out of stealth into our group. No chance to react and so damage spike + mount engages means instant death. Players look like they are on mounts despite using character skills. The enemy group rubber bands around (ie desynced from server)

i7-6700k, RX 580, 16gb ram, DX12 ADDON, no overlays - No stutter to player input, am able to hit skills, can survive first damage burst but 3/4 of group dead on first engage. Enemy moves through group as if they are still mounted, despite using player skills. The enemy group rubber bands around (ie desynced from server).

Nitro5 Laptop i7-7700HQ, 1050ti, 16gb ram, DX12 ADDON, no overlays - No stutter to player input, am able to hit skills, can survive first damage burst but 3/4 of group dead on first engage. Enemy moves through group as if they are still mounted, despite using player skills. The enemy group rubber bands around (ie desynced from server)

If the roles are reversed and am in the group being stealthed, you dont feel the lag when facing normal pug groups, you are not rubberbanding on your own side, it seems related to stealth + mount. Sometimes your player will get stuck mounted after engaging, you will have all player skills, 3 dodges, and no weapon swap (can attunement swap, use kits and any other class mechanic), you do not get the mount speed bonus. With a constant source of swiftness, this could be considered exploitable for for any class or build that doesn't need to use two weapon sets.

If you happen to have two 20-man groups taking full advantage of the stealthed mounts engaging, i have felt input lag on all machines, even with the third party dx12 addon that offloads a lot of the games cpuload to the gpu. As a group, we have had to not use mounts to engage because many of our members run on potatoes and would have no chance in a wvw engagement.

Anyways this is my experience since warclaws. I am not against them really in wvw, i just feel that the stealth element is extremely buggy right now and it can be almost borderline exploitable for any organized skill group. Part of WvW was Pug groups vs organized, before you had a chance to retreat, now you dont, just instant death. Normally im all for organized groups farming pugs, but we need numbers in wvw, and this sort of gameplay definitely drives players away, whether they are wvw vets or someone brand new to the game mode.

@alain.1659 said:Again lagged insane two days ago. Before this mount thingy 3 way sm fights were playable. Now I cannot even move properly when I encounter 10-15 mounts. I wonder why anet is so silent about this.

See for me, its the complete opposite. I upgraded my PC parts from a low tier rig to a low/mid and I have no issues with lag despite the # of mounts (even while streaming). My game graphics are jacked up (aside from shadows...or shaders, I cant remember...even from day 1 ive has that set to mid)

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@alain.1659 said:Again lagged insane two days ago. Before this mount thingy 3 way sm fights were playable. Now I cannot even move properly when I encounter 10-15 mounts. I wonder why anet is so silent about this.

See for me, its the complete opposite. I upgraded my PC parts from a low tier rig to a low/mid and I have no issues with lag despite the # of mounts (even while streaming). My game graphics are jacked up (aside from shadows...or shaders, I cant remember...even from day 1 ive has that set to mid)

Same here,i always thought the engine was just bad.But a while back my old mobo died,was still old gen.So i recently upgraded my mobo and bought a Ryzen 2600x while still having my older 970gtx and im actually seeing 50 - 60fps in blob fights with no stutters at all,my jaw dropped and over 120fps while just roaming around. So yeah if you lag,check if your cpu is up to the task. When it comes to ping,ive had no lag yet at all but tbh i havent been in EB yet.

@Caedmon.6798 said:

Same here,i always thought the engine was just bad.But a while back my old mobo died,was still old gen.So i recently upgraded my mobo and bought a Ryzen 2600x while still having my older 970gtx and im actually seeing 50 - 60fps in blob fights with no stutters at all,my jaw dropped and over 120fps while just roaming around. So yeah if you lag,check if your cpu is up to the task. When it comes to ping,ive had no lag yet at all but tbh i havent been in EB yet.

Went from a Phenom 2 to a Ryzen 3 2200g, updated my mobo to a ab350-gaming 3, swapped my 1GB GIGABYTE GPU to a RX560, upped my ram to 16gb and upgraded my PSU. WAYYYYYYY better performance, although I can stream with more than 30fps at 1080 or 720 (was told to look into that as I should).

Where I used to lag in game (hard) was barely a stutter now (only my discord music will stutter) and my stream was the same way (very very little stuttering). Gonna add my cam tonight to test that as well (been running into issues since I built it so am setting everything up 1 part at a time lol)

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

Went from a Phenom 2 to a Ryzen 3 2200g, updated my mobo to a ab350-gaming 3, swapped my 1GB GIGABYTE GPU to a RX560, upped my ram to 16gb and upgraded my PSU. WAYYYYYYY better performance, although I can stream with more than 30fps at 1080 or 720 (was told to look into that as I should).

Where I used to lag in game (hard) was barely a stutter now (only my discord music will stutter) and my stream was the same way (very very little stuttering). Gonna add my cam tonight to test that as well (been running into issues since I built it so am setting everything up 1 part at a time lol)

Im not streaming but the performance increase is also massive for me. Its silky smooth where usually i was like F*** this crappy engine and i could feel a blob coming from miles away because my fps took a dump ( Like 20 fps ) ,always called it my Blob Radar. Even in small scale fights i had around 30 - 40 fps stuttering with cam turning etc. But now its just blisssssss !

@Caedmon.6798 said:

Im not streaming but the performance increase is also massive for me. Its silky smooth where usually i was like F*** this crappy engine and i could feel a blob coming from miles away because my fps took a dump ( Like 20 fps ) ,always called it my Blob Radar. Even in small scale fights i had around 30 - 40 fps stuttering with cam turning etc. But now its just blisssssss !

Same...could always tell when a large group is near. Now...my discord music tells me lol

@"schloumou.3982" said:Guys please. If you press a skill and it doesn't go off, but you can still run around perfectly, it has nothing to do with your hardware. Don't confuse fps drops, stuttering, frame times and stuff with server lag.

And if you would have read i also said "When it comes to ping,ive had no lag yet at all but tbh i havent been in EB yet."

And when it comes to ping lag in EB,thats something thats always been around and wont be going anywhere.