Lack of Solo End-Game

I loved PoF. I consumed the whole of Personal Story, then Living Story 3, then Living Story 4... Each took me a day to complete. After that I worked on the Griffon mount, which took me less than a day. All in all, it was the most dedicated I had been to a game in years. But then... I stopped. I had begun to lose interest and started playing less and less... What could it be? Well, after some thinking, I was able to pinpoint the problem: the lack of solo end-game content.

Now don't get wrong: this game is one of the most solo-friendly MMORPGs on the market. The problem isn't that there isn't solo content -- it's that none of it is at end-game. The only options the solo player has at end game are Living World, which is a few hours' worth of content every 90 days, and map completion. Things that require a group are: dungeons, sPvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids and World Bosses.... so most of what is available at end-game. So while journeying through Personal Story and other first-timer content is an experience rife with possibilities, there isn't much to do alone once one reaches the end game, if one is to not start over.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"MrRuin.9740" said:I think you may be in a minority. I don't think too many people buy an MMO expecting an in depth solo experience as they tend to be built around the 'massively multiplayer' part.

Guild Wars was described by its own developers as a "non-MMO." I've come to expect certain things from that, one of which is that this game be much more solo-friendly than other MMORPGs. Yes, at end-game too.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:GW2 is one of the most solo-friendly MMOs out there though. I don't like instanced group content too much and this is one of the few games that gives me a plethora of other stuff to keep me busy, at least for a time.

Like what?

As others said map metas and world bosses, also collection hunting if that's your thing, although I do find them lacking lately. I get that you don't consider metas and bosses to be true solo content, but that would be impossible to do since these are overworld encounters.

I would like more solo narrative content too but that's too much to expect from an mmo. With the exception of maybe SWTOR , most mmos are pretty much the same in that aspect.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@"MrRuin.9740" said:I think you may be in a minority. I don't think too many people buy an MMO expecting an in depth solo experience as they tend to be built around the 'massively multiplayer' part.

Guild Wars was described by its own developers as a "non-MMO." I've come to expect certain things from that, one of which is that this game be much more solo-friendly than other MMORPGs. Yes, at end-game too.

Alas, Guild Wars 2 (an MMORPG) is not Guild Wars (a CORPG). Guild Wars 2 is full of persistent content, Guild Wars full of instanced content (which is why is was labeled a 'non-MMO'). The Devs were quite clear about this leading up to Guild Wars 2's launch, so it should not come as any surprise.

I see what the OP means and I can understand them perfectly well.As someone who greatly enjoyed GW1 dungeon runs (Hard Mode) with heroes and henchies, taking hours and completing them at my own pace, I can freely say I greatly miss that feeling.I really liked Hard Mode dungeons in GW1, I loved Hard Mode Vanquishing, I loved completing hard content on my own, at my own pace and with a set of NPCs of my choice.Adding more 'solo' content that can be experienced with or without group won't damage the MMO aspect of GW. In fact I feel it will drag more people to come and play the game at their own pace and play it how they like.

I also wish they added more meaningful rewards via actual dungeons right now. Introducing hard mode and bolstering rewards would be perfect.I honestly miss the feel of GW1 dungeons and their pace, it was not skip skip skip like it is now.

In any case, I support OP and I truly hope we do get some content that can be done solo or with a group depending on our choice.

Adding a solo mode to raids (with reduced/different rewards) would be a good way to add high-quality, repeatable, rewarding soloable end-game content.

And the great thing about it is that they wouldn't need to develop it from scratch, since they could reuse maps, story, lore, voice acting, art assets, etc. from the 10-man versions.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@MrRuin.9740 said:Ah, false expectations based on something from a decade or so ago. Gotcha.

They did go back to their decades old roots with Elona this expansion; I just don't understand why we don't have more solo content at end-game. It's pretty obviously lacking.

They did not go back to their decades-old roots with Elona; they returned to the continent and tied up loose ends in the lore. GW2 as played in Elona is still GW2; it has no additional similarities to GW1 mechanically than the rest of the game.

Regardless, most Dungeons (including fractals) are, in fact, solable. It takes more skill than in GW1, sometimes a lot more. There are some spots that require multi-person mechanics and some that can't be done easily outside of a subset of professions.

Calling an MMORPG out for the lack of Solo-Engame content is ... interesting!

Btw, all Story-Content, from personal story up to LS4 EP5 are solo content. And if you ask me, this IS your solo content. If that is too easy for you, you can always run dungeons or even raids solo. (Raids will be impossible tho!). There are some videos where people solo dungeons. If you feel the urge to do it, then go for it.

@"Blur.3465" said:In any case, I support OP and I truly hope we do get some content that can be done solo or with a group depending on our choice.

Joining in on this sentiment, I'd also add that the content should be repeatable with meaningful rewards (doesn't have to be gold, unique skins preferred).

I've also always wondered why some people are "against" the idea of solo-content in a MMORPG, citing the "massively", yet they defend instanced content like dungeons / fractals / raids. 5-10 man groups aren't something i'd describe as "massively", it's more or less something i'd expect in a lobby-based game, like PoE, GW1 and even shooters like CSGO, Battlefield and Overwatch.

@Adul.1520 said:Adding a solo mode to raids (with reduced/different rewards) would be a good way to add high-quality, repeatable, rewarding soloable end-game content.

And the great thing about it is that they wouldn't need to develop it from scratch, since they could reuse maps, story, lore, voice acting, art assets, etc. from the 10-man versions.

It certainly wouldnt do any harm to have the option

I like the events and casual grouping that occurs

But i am all for people being able to play how they wish

Although I have more fun doing challenging things in a group (raid, fractals,...) I would not mind for a hard solo activity. ESO has a petty fun solo "raid" that resets daylie. But OP should be more specific what s/he mean with endgame. When I read arguments of worldbosses and meta events, clearly different people have different opinions what endgame means.