How some people have 400k or 700k gold

Hey everyone so I woke up today and I got a notification in other social medias that I follow GW2 on ,and there was a guy posting the amount of gold he has in game .

It was really interesting and impressive to see the amount of 400k gold and they were some many others who posted 700k gold. now for me I would't do such thing to post my gold in social media because you never know who will try to hack your account or either they did it! But I have some really weird questions about that situations.

First of all I bought the game from launch day and even if you add the amount of gold I spend on mats weapons and armors there is now chance that this amount would be even close ! My method of that I follow for gold is the Domain of istan farm which now is not so good I used to get the amount of 70g only for 3.5 hours of farming buy trophies and sell the (not instantly). Also I used to do some SW farm but it was pretty slow so my No. 1 was domain of istan. How ever I tried the method that you make t5 mats to t6 and then sell them and it was really useful but only if you have a lot of mats you will see the different.

Now My question is what different method are these guys follow to make such huge amount of gold ?

Also lately I was really disappointing with the game because I started felt that after all that farm you do is not that rewarding ! I don't want to compare games here but many other mmos can give you a lot of things such as armors weapons and good amount of mats or gold only by doing a World Boss or farming in an area that is known to give huge amount of rewards.Personally I believe that even if you want to do a legendary gold is the main source to do it , and for me the older way to do leges is much more easier than the new once if only you have gold !

So again is there something that i don't do but they do to get that amount of gold ? Even 10k for me is huge so how can i reach that easier ? And also by chance which is the best way for you to make gold ??

Its all tp flipping.

Having 400 gold and tp flipping to get 700 gold is the exact same thing as having 400,000 gold and tp flipping to get 700,000 gold. Its just numbers. To the guy with 400 gold, 200,000 gold in rotation will seem like an insane amount... to the other its just chump change.

This apply both ingame and to the modern utterly corrupt capitalist society.

• Like 2

I thought the maximum amount you could have in your wallet at once was 100,000g? Not that I've ever come close to that, but I've heard from other people that's the maximum.

So presumably what they're showing is their total account value. Some websites will calculate the value of not just the gold and materials in your wallet/bank but the value of all the skins you've got unlocked and gem store items (based on TP prices and gems - gold conversion rate). Most people's account value will be much higher than their actual gold - for example just the shared inventory slots I have are worth 3,401g at the current exchange rate (which is unusually high right now) and that's more than the most gold I've ever had on my account at once. But I didn't buy them all at once, I didn't pay full price and I didn't just use gold. So while it's an accurate reflection of part of my account value it's not remotely representative of how much gold I have, have ever had or could get in a reasonable time.

The most gold I've ever had at once was 1,981g - and that was just after I sold a legendary, so it took me about 4 or 5 months to get to that point. It lasted about 1/2 an hour, then I bought lots of mount skins and a catmander tag.

• Like 1

The irony is, in real life, money hoarders are bad for the world, since millionaires and billionaires contribute poorly to society, even the ones that give to charities donate very little of their fortune compared to what is raised by other means.

They only do what they have to to maintain a good social standing, at least by apperances.

But in-game, money hoarders are good, because they take gold out of the econemy and keep material prices profitable. Without people who hoard gold, items and materials, everything in the game wouldn't even be worth selling.

You'd end up NPC'ing everything for coppers. (That's why TP flipping is allowed.)

• Like 1

@Hannelore.8153 said:The irony is, in real life, money hoarders are bad for the world, since millionaires and billionaires contribute poorly to society, even the ones that give to charities donate very little of their fortune compared to what is raised by other means.

They only do what they have to to maintain a good social standing, at least by apperances.

But in-game, money hoarders are good, because they take gold out of the econemy and keep material prices profitable. Without people who hoard gold, items and materials, everything in the game wouldn't even be worth selling.

You'd end up NPC'ing everything for coppers. (That's why TP flipping is allowed.)

I'd say gold sinks are more important for a healthy economy, because otherwise it can go the other way and everything ends up being priced for those players who hoard gold (or simply know how to make a lot of it quickly) and everyone else gets priced out of the market.

That happened in Ultima Online back when I played it. The economy was almost entirely player driven, there was very little you needed to buy from NPCs and nothing like waypoint fees to provide a regular gold sink. But the end result was you had all this money entering the economy whenever players killed an enemy, looted a chest or whatever and very little leaving so there was massive inflation and new players found it difficult to afford anything, even basic things like a simple horse mount cost more than they could make in a week even if they knew good farming spots.

To be fair MMOs were a very new idea at the time so no one had much experience with a virtual economy where money literally appears from nowhere on a regular basis, but it did act as a great illustration of why gold sinks are good for the players, even if they can be annoying.

• Like 2

You can easily get that much by casually doing various metas and light farming. Various woods and metals spike when new armor or legendary items release. Collect between releases and sell when the demand drives the price up. Also keep your unused alts at profitable farms then use them to farm once a day. People who really bear down on playing the TP and other things can make thousands of gold. There are many videos on YouTube on how to make gold.

@Danikat.8537 said:I thought the maximum amount you could have in your wallet at once was 100,000g? Not that I've ever come close to that, but I've heard from other people that's the maximum.

So presumably what they're showing is their total account value. Some websites will calculate the value of not just the gold and materials in your wallet/bank but the value of all the skins you've got unlocked and gem store items (based on TP prices and gems - gold conversion rate). Most people's account value will be much higher than their actual gold - for example just the shared inventory slots I have are worth 3,401g at the current exchange rate (which is unusually high right now) and that's more than the most gold I've ever had on my account at once. But I didn't buy them all at once, I didn't pay full price and I didn't just use gold. So while it's an accurate reflection of part of my account value it's not remotely representative of how much gold I have, have ever had or could get in a reasonable time.

The most gold I've ever had at once was 1,981g - and that was just after I sold a legendary, so it took me about 4 or 5 months to get to that point. It lasted about 1/2 an hour, then I bought lots of mount skins and a catmander tag.

I just checked wiki and it says max is 200k gold for your wallet and 1000 gold in each guild bank tab. So yeah, perhaps they were talking about account value or liquid gold plus gold value of gems they hold.

Just like in real life, labor doesn't scale but economies and businesses do. Gold on that scale is most certainly from playing the trading post and economy. Current highest gold on gw2efficiency shows as about 200k. Thats a solid 10-15k hours (3-5 years at 8 hours a day, every day!) of farming considering that earlier in the game the gold/hr income from farming was a fair bit lower than it is now.

As far as methods, there is the basic flipping (buy low, sell high - short term) for consistent day-to-day income. Investing or speculation is the same thing for longer term - something like you know that there will be legendary greatsword coming, so you stock up on materials that you think will rise in price once it actually gets implemented. Patch day trading can also be huge, but you need to be online and fast to learn what the items that spike in demand/price will be and when to get out of a bad call. But it takes a certain attitude - you're not playing the new story on patch day, you're exploring the new economy effects of the map achieves, collections, etc. and trying to be the first to snap up the things that will spike.

More complex and specialized, but highly scalable activities include value-extraction strategies. Salvage for profit, open bags and sell contents, mystic forge for profit. You need to know drop/salvage rates and have enough coin to do it at a scale where law of large numbers applies. In effect, you become "the boss" and have the portion of the playerbase (i.e. anyone selling to your buy orders) working as your "employees" to farm the items. You do your thing by salvaging, opening, etc. and take a % profit on whatever they sell to you. This involves spreadsheets and a close eye, but you will occasionally find times where you can simply buy something at list price and turn around and sell the outputs to a bid (or undercut the next lowest seller by a good bit) for risk-free profit. More commonly, you just list the outputs en masse into a big market.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:You can easily get that much by casually doing various metas and light farming.

I think your definition of casual may be different from how it’s normally used by most players.

@"Danikat.8537" said:I thought the maximum amount you could have in your wallet at once was 100,000g? Not that I've ever come close to that, but I've heard from other people that's the maximum.

There’s a max to what is displayable in the UI but you don’t lose any gold that goes over it.

I was wrong. Max gold is 200K and you can’t collect anything over that amount.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5luo6h/200000g_i_reached_the_maximum_of_gold_you_can/dbymub0/

Makes me curious what gw2effciency considers liquid gold.

Did see the stat for 196K.

@smashgodlight.6584 said:Hey everyone so I woke up today and I got a notification in other social medias that I follow GW2 on ,and there was a guy posting the amount of gold he has in game .

It was really interesting and impressive to see the amount of 400k gold and they were some many others who posted 700k gold. now for me I would't do such thing to post my gold in social media because you never know who will try to hack your account or either they did it! But I have some really weird questions about that situations.

First of all I bought the game from launch day and even if you add the amount of gold I spend on mats weapons and armors there is now chance that this amount would be even close ! My method of that I follow for gold is the Domain of istan farm which now is not so good I used to get the amount of 70g only for 3.5 hours of farming buy trophies and sell the (not instantly). Also I used to do some SW farm but it was pretty slow so my No. 1 was domain of istan. How ever I tried the method that you make t5 mats to t6 and then sell them and it was really useful but only if you have a lot of mats you will see the different.

Now My question is what different method are these guys follow to make such huge amount of gold ?

Also lately I was really disappointing with the game because I started felt that after all that farm you do is not that rewarding ! I don't want to compare games here but many other mmos can give you a lot of things such as armors weapons and good amount of mats or gold only by doing a World Boss or farming in an area that is known to give huge amount of rewards.Personally I believe that even if you want to do a legendary gold is the main source to do it , and for me the older way to do leges is much more easier than the new once if only you have gold !

So again is there something that i don't do but they do to get that amount of gold ? Even 10k for me is huge so how can i reach that easier ? And also by chance which is the best way for you to make gold ??

I question their bragging as well as the others. The max gold displayable was around 200K and the max gold on gw2effciency is 404K. The max gold you can have in your wallet is 200k and the max liquid gold on gw2effciency is around 404K. How were they proving it?

I also highly doubt anyone made this kind of gold by farming. They could have bought it all but I wouldn’t consider that something to brag about. It’s most likely from the TP, successfully speculating, multiple accounts and ascended crafting, and/or a combination of those.

My "account value" according to gw2efficiency.com is about 400k, (202nd overall at the time of writing) but that's a lot different from having 400k gold. The vast amount of that "value" is in account-bound wardrobe items. I think the most actual gold I've had at once is more like 6k.

How did I get there? Not by farming or TP. I'm far too lazy for that. By shelling out an obscene amount of real world money for shiny things I wanted, for guild hall decorations, fancy gifts for friends, black lion keys and ecto gambling, etc. I did the math, and I've purchased about 2.4 million gems by now. People may have an opinion on that, but if you just think of it as "supporting the game", you're welcome.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Makes me curious what gw2effciency considers liquid gold.

If you go to the Overview page under Account you can see what contributes. Basically, anything that you could sell to get gold, whether it is in bank, material storage, or in character's bags. It also includes TP sell orders, but I am not sure if it goes by the current TP price of your listed items or if it goes by the price that you have listed the items at. I imagine the latter would be gamed heavily by those seeking to inflate account values.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:You can easily get that much by casually doing various metas and light farming. Various woods and metals spike when new armor or legendary items release. Collect between releases and sell when the demand drives the price up. Also keep your unused alts at profitable farms then use them to farm once a day. People who really bear down on playing the TP and other things can make thousands of gold. There are many videos on YouTube on how to make gold.

I think this is what we call exaggeration. You cant casually reach 200/400/700 thousand. No people that do that are either living in the game and constantly flipping and selling legendary , in order to do that you need to invest a lot of time into collecting the materials. Or they are buying gold, plain and simple. For the average casual player that plays 5 hours a week or so that aint happening. I have played mmos for a looong time and you only get rich a few ways, work at it almost all the time, use an exploit or hack, or buy it with rl money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@"Hannelore.8153" said:The irony is, in real life, money hoarders are bad for the world, since millionaires and billionaires contribute poorly to society, even the ones that give to charities donate very little of their fortune compared to what is raised by other means.

Today's lesson in real world money: the term "millionaire" gets thrown around loosely, and the people at large have a poor understanding of it. What we're really talking about is Net Worth, which is the sum of all theoretical assets owned. This means your house, your company, your car, your degree, etc. This isn't income, or even how much money is in the bank. Sure, we can say that somebody is worth a billion dollars, but in reality it means they own a company that is worth a billion dollars. In order to have that much cash on hand, they'd have to liquidate it. Or rather, sell off everything and fire everybody who works for them. There's 11 million millionaires in the U.S. alone, and they have a 5 figure income. They're millionaires because that is the combined value of their house, their retirement fund, their cars, their savings, and their checking accounts after working for 30 years or so.

Likewise, the modern world has fractional banking. The billionaire doesn't have a Scrooge Mc'Duck vault full of gold bullion that he swims in and never spends. What they do have is stocks, bonds, securities, savings and checking accounts. See, all of the money that you give to the bank doesn't stay in the bank. The bank then uses that money to give out loans to other people (which is how the bank itself makes money). At any time, there's only a small percentage of the money that's "in the bank" is actually in the bank. This means that whenever a small business gets a loan, it is using the funds that a billionaire supposedly owns. Likewise, stocks and bonds are just complicated loans themselves, used to give money to businesses and the government in exchange for the promise to pay it back later.

The tl;dr is that no, money hoarders are not bad for the world. This isn't dungeons and dragons, where a dragon sleeps on top of its treasure trove sequestered in a mountain stronghold. The modern economy is liquid, and most of the assets that a billionaire owns is trading hands and funding other people.

The hard way to do this is to play the tp constantly micro managing everything....

The easy way to do this is to gain some amount of gold capital and start speculative investing in things that are cheap now that have the potential of skyrocketing in price. One Such example was the mischief sigils... they were only worth copper at one point.... if you bought stacks of them you made a good chunk of change. The problem with speculation investments is that you have to sit on them sometimes for a long long time, and even then they may never pay out.

@"Deepcuts.9740" said:No farming. No TP flipping. No lucky drops.Plain old swiping the plastic.This is the only way to have such a high account value.

This is false.Account value is not just determined by the amount of liquid gold a player has available, but also by the skins they have unlocked and the items/collectibles in their inventory. Specifically, any older items and skins that were obtained cheaply upon released, and which have increased in value. For example, the Chaos weapon set currently has a total value of 7,755g for the complete set. I, personally, obtained the whole set for ~500g-750g when it came out, which equals a 7,000g "profit." Also, account value can include gemstore upgrade bought with farmed gold. That gold might have been exchanged for gems at a historically favorable rate and then used to buy account upgrades, which again turns a value "profit."Even having a liquid gold value value that high is possible with smart/lucky investing and TP flipping. As well, the time a player spends farming, the greater the chances of the so-called "lucky drops." Dropped precursors can be efficiently turned into legendaries and then resold for a profit, and of course one can get certain high value items such as infusions or Treasure Hunter trinkets.So no, buying gold with real world money, and with it account value, is not the only way to accure such high values.