Reaper melee, Mobility and Gap closers

James.1065

@Vancho.8750 said:If the gap closers and pulls didn't bug out it would have been good. That stability spam on some things also ruins the point of pulls. One utility to act as circuit breaker on reaper and one 3/4 dodge on one of the twirly abilities on GS (probably when casting Nightfall or faster pulses), also a little bump in the GS trait healing with it giving its regeneration in reaper form and you are good to go.

That is also a problem, but their range surly needs to be bumped up. I mean guardian true shot range just went from 1200 to 1500, try GS 5 that on a reaper!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Snellibee.2761 said:

@"felincyriac.5981" said:You need your nanny FB or you die basically. I'm fine with a spec that is more team-fight orientated (and hence require support), but the same applies to core and scourge.

Problem 1: Hardly anyone ever plays FB in regular queues.Problem 2: Reaper is still kitten even with a FB compared to other options.

I've seen really good reapers destroying everyone, you just need some more skill than its other spec, scourge

In my opinion the theme has become out dated with all the power creep and mobility/defence buffs given to other professions in the number of blances patches.

This has exaggerated the problem of a themed slow moving low mobility Reaper. Because of this, Reaper's lack of mobility creates another problem that it's damage to sustain ratio is trash. In others words although the theme is good and damage is fine, not having mobility to get to opponents fast enough to put them under pressure combined with only having a non-scaling defense mechanic (Shroud) doesn't work well on higher levels of sPvP when the devs decide to power creep the overall damage levels by 100%.

You need a ton more skill to play Reaper well enough to get the same results as a scourge. Only on low levels like sliver and maaaaybe gold Reapers can wade into a team fight and wreck everyone. The reason is all the enemy of the team fight need to be right next to you, CC'ed and with ALL thier defensives blown for you to inflict any kind of damage, or they just need to simply avoid the wells.

This means 75% of all professuons can stand out of your range withour fear of you being able to get to them, or get away from them while they focus you down. There is a reason why everyone targets the Reaper at mid: no defenses outside shroud (Which can be blasted from 100% -0 in a matter of seconds when focused by 2-3 enemy, and no way to escape after that.

Reapers are the literal "sitting duck" of the game

@James.1065 said:

@"felincyriac.5981" said:You need your nanny FB or you die basically. I'm fine with a spec that is more team-fight orientated (and hence require support), but the same applies to core and scourge.

Problem 1: Hardly anyone ever plays FB in regular queues.Problem 2: Reaper is still kitten even with a FB compared to other options.

I've seen really good reapers destroying everyone, you just need some more skill than its other spec, scourge

In my opinion the theme has become out dated with all the power creep and mobility/defence buffs given to other professions in the number of blances patches.

This has exaggerated the problem of a themed slow moving low mobility Reaper. Because of this, Reaper's lack of mobility creates another problem that it's damage to sustain ratio is trash. In others words although the theme is good and damage is fine, not having mobility to get to opponents fast enough to put them under pressure combined with only having a non-scaling defense mechanic (Shroud) doesn't work well on higher levels of sPvP when the devs decide to power creep the overall damage levels by 100%.

You need a ton more skill to play Reaper well enough to get the same results as a scourge. Only on low levels like sliver and maaaaybe gold Reapers can wade into a team fight and wreck everyone. The reason is all the enemy of the team fight need to be right next to you, CC'ed and with ALL thier defensives blown for you to inflict any kind of damage, or they just need to simply avoid the wells.

This means 75% of all professuons can stand out of your range withour fear of you being able to get to them, or get away from them while they focus you down. There is a reason why everyone targets the Reaper at mid: no defenses outside shroud (Which can be blasted from 100% -0 in a matter of seconds when focused by 2-3 enemy, and no way to escape after that.

Reapers have some ranged attacks with axe though, and these attacks are quiet strong especially axe 2. I think because reaper has so much access to ranged weapons that it doesn't have all the mobility other classes have, for example; Revenant has great mobility because it doesn't have ranged attacks (not counting attacks with 450 range ranged). Guardian has some shadowstep mobility because it neither has much access to ranged attacks and so on.

Giving reapers mobility would make them nearly impossible to disengage from as they'll be able to keep up with you whilst spamming axe or something like that

@Snellibee.2761 said:

Reapers have some ranged attacks with axe though, and these attacks are quiet strong especially axe 2. I think because reaper has so much access to ranged weapons that it doesn't have all the mobility other classes have, for example; Revenant has great mobility because it doesn't have ranged attacks (not counting attacks with 450 range ranged). Guardian has some shadowstep mobility because it neither has much access to ranged attacks and so on.

Giving reapers mobility would make them nearly impossible to disengage from as they'll be able to keep up with you whilst spamming axe or something like that

You do know that both Revenant and Gaurdiuan have access to bows and axes of which have the same and in some cases more range than a Reaper, but still have the mobility you mentioned. In fact guardian true shot hits you up to 1500 range.

Furthermore, high mobility classes like Ranger, theif and warrior all have ranged wepons of 1200 or more.

So I don't think your arguments make any sense that reaper has axe 2 *range 900) so shouldn't have mobility.

@Snellibee.2761 said:

@felincyriac.5981 said:You need your nanny FB or you die basically. I'm fine with a spec that is more team-fight orientated (and hence require support), but the same applies to core and scourge.

Reapers are the literal "sitting duck" of the gameGiving reapers mobility would make them nearly impossible to disengage from as they'll be able to keep up with you whilst spamming axe or something like that

You mean impossible to disengage in the way that thieves, mesmers, holosmiths, and revenants are? Power Reaper has exactly 2 ranged attacks, are both 900 range. Of those two Ghastly Claws is the only one that does noticeable damage, and even there it's damage dealt over a channel and requires vuln stacks in order to get adequate damage. Calling Reaper ranged is like calling warrior ranged because of Axe3.

Reaper does not have the offensive or defensive capacity to justify it's poor mobility. It's damage is on par with other damage dealing builds while offering worse sustain and worse mobility than other damage dealing builds. Either Reaper needs it's defensive capabilities to be upgraded to withstand PoF damage levels, or it needs it's mobility upgrade to allow it at least be able to counterpressure.

@Snellibee.2761 said:

@felincyriac.5981 said:You need your nanny FB or you die basically. I'm fine with a spec that is more team-fight orientated (and hence require support), but the same applies to core and scourge.

I have over two thousand matches on Reaper alone. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the class.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:I have over two thousand matches on Reaper alone. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the class.

I understand this, but allow me to annoy you anyway.

Speed Runes.

Spectral walk is GOOD now cmonnnn

I'm actually using speed runes already. Still get outrun by shit. I had to pick them up after having to switch off Aristo Reaper because there is too much cleanse in the meta to allow Aristo Reaper to work.

A lot of Reaper's mobility problems stem not from a lack of raw landspeed, but from the overabundance of cripple and immobilize that is getting thrown around. The lack of damage avoidance on necro means that you get hit with literally every cripple that gets thrown at you which is a huge problem.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:I have over two thousand matches on Reaper alone. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the class.

I understand this, but allow me to annoy you anyway.

Speed Runes.

Spectral walk is GOOD now cmonnnn

I'm actually using speed runes already. Still get outrun by kitten. I had to pick them up after having to switch off Aristo Reaper because there is too much cleanse in the meta to allow Aristo Reaper to work.

yeeeee

one of usone of us

@Crinn.7864 said:

• Death's charge and Death Spiral are now frontal blocks.
  • Grasping Darkness is no longer negated by projectile destructs.
  • Executioner's Scythe will always apply it's stun the current target instead of picking one target at random to apply the stun to.
  • Nightfall does 50% less damage per strike but ticks every 1 second instead of every 2.
  • Entering Shroud resets the cooldowns of all shroud skills. Seriously, you should always have your shroud skills available when you enter shroud.

This is also fine but:

• Entering Shroud resets the cooldowns of all shroud skills. Seriously, you should always have your shroud skills available when you enter shroud.

Cooldown -reduction- rather than a reset, otherwise running the trait that puts you back in shroud on death with a LF gen build is gonna be obnoxious.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

@"Crinn.7864" said:
  • Executioner's Scythe will always apply it's stun the current target instead of picking one target at random to apply the stun to.
  • Nightfall does 50% less damage per strike but ticks every 1 second instead of every 2.

This is also fine but:

Cooldown -reduction- rather than a reset, otherwise running the trait that puts you back in shroud on death with a LF gen build is gonna be obnoxious.

Reduction would be stronger tho, as if you reduced cooldowns a reaper running with Soul Reaping could potentially be able to fit in multiple uses of the 3-5 skills per shroud use.

"the trait that puts you back in shroud" would be Unholy Sanctuary which is a Death Magic GM and would require taking that entire bloody useless traitline in order to get. Moreover abusing USanc + Reset would require the Reaper to let themselves get killed in order to use. That's not a good value, and wouldn't really be good except for making a cherrypicked meme kill youtube compilation.

@James.1065 said:

You do know that both Revenant and Gaurdiuan have access to bows and axes of which have the same and in some cases more range than a Reaper, but still have the mobility you mentioned. In fact guardian true shot hits you up to 1500 range.

Furthermore, high mobility classes like Ranger, theif and warrior all have ranged wepons of 1200 or more.

So I don't think your arguments make any sense that reaper has axe 2 *range 900) so shouldn't have mobility.

All the classes you mention don't have the power a reaper has, you mention Rev shortbow? That's a meme weapon idk why you even thought about bringing that garbage up.

Thief and warrior aswel do not have the dps a reaper can output, and whilst Ranger has a lot of dps when they go sick'em, they don't have an extra full health bar that shroud gives on necro.

it's all balanced (in a way) Giving Reaper a bunch of mobility would break the balance

@Crinn.7864 said:

Reapers are the literal "sitting duck" of the gameGiving reapers mobility would make them nearly impossible to disengage from as they'll be able to keep up with you whilst spamming axe or something like that

You mean impossible to disengage in the way that thieves, mesmers, holosmiths, and revenants are? Power Reaper has exactly 2 ranged attacks, are both 900 range. Of those two Ghastly Claws is the only one that does noticeable damage, and even there it's damage dealt over a channel and requires vuln stacks in order to get adequate damage. Calling Reaper ranged is like calling warrior ranged because of Axe3.

Reaper does not have the offensive or defensive capacity to justify it's poor mobility. It's damage is on par with other damage dealing builds while offering worse sustain and worse mobility than other damage dealing builds. Either Reaper needs it's defensive capabilities to be upgraded to withstand PoF damage levels, or it needs it's mobility upgrade to allow it at least be able to counterpressure.

I have over two thousand matches on Reaper alone. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the class.

Reaper does need some sort of defensive buff for sure, nothing major but they need something that makes them survive a bit longer since everyone just targets them and insta kills them at start in mid. But I strongly disagree that Reaper needs more mobility.

In my opinion Reaper should just have full shroud at the start and not have to build it up, that way they can use their full shroud at start of a game.But giving Reaper more mobility or blocks/defensive capabilities ontop of being able to have an extra health bar would be way too much. You don' need to be a warrior with 2 health bars or a revenant with 2 health bars

Btw making it so all shroud skills are off cooldown when entering shroud is the most OP shit toe ver suggest, you can go into shroud like every 10 seconds?Imagine if switching weapons would reset the cooldowns on said weapon aswel?

@"Snellibee.2761" said:

All the classes you mention don't have the power a reaper has, you mention Rev shortbow? That's a meme weapon idk why you even thought about bringing that garbage up.

If you read the context it was arguing the access to ranged wepons not dps...

Thief and warrior aswel do not have the dps a reaper can output, and whilst Ranger has a lot of dps when they go sick'em, they don't have an extra full health bar that shroud gives on necro.

Thief, ranger and warrior do just as much dps, and in certain cases even more than a Reaper (dead eyes one shotting warriors rampaging etc), so I am not sure where you got your figures from for that comment. And for aurguments sake, even if we did have the ability to out dps these professions, we do not have anywhere close to the amount of sustain required to reach those high dps figures.

Besides the above mentioned dps these professions have (Which is just as good as reapers), they are all also blessed with having hard defenses (invisibilty, hard blocks, dodges and invunerbilty) in addition to mobility.

So it's like you pretending that death shroud is as good as all that? Lets be honest the so called "2nd life bar" is only 69% of the reapers max health (untraited) and depletes at 5% per second. Add an enemy wailing on you, and you lucky if your shroud lasts long enough to even execute all its skills. On top of that, there is no way to effiecently defend yourself with it long enough to catch any ranged enemy wrecking you from 1200 units or escape the 1v1 brawl that you can not win due to the lack of other defenses when your shroud evaporates. This story of "you have a whole 2nd life bar" so stop qq'ing and L2P is getting super old super fast. With the current power creep we need more mobility and defences.

it's all balanced (in a way) Giving Reaper a bunch of mobility would break the balance

I dont agree with you at all on that comment, as I said before reaper is the sitting duck of SPvP and it's getting worse with every balance patch.

@Snellibee.2761 said:

I have over two thousand matches on Reaper alone. I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the class.But giving Reaper more mobility or blocks/defensive capabilities ontop of being able to have an extra health bar would be way too much. You don' need to be a warrior with 2 health bars or a revenant with 2 health barsFull shroud at start is meaningless. Reaper has no issues building lifeforce rapidly even under pressure.

But giving Reaper more mobility or blocks/defensive capabilities ontop of being able to have an extra health bar would be way too much. You don' need to be a warrior with 2 health bars or a revenant with 2 health barsHaving 2 healthbars is significantly worse than having 1 healthbar and a bunch of blocks/evades, because blocks/evades have no upper limit on how much damage they can mitigate. Not to mention that blocks/evades also prevent you from being CC'ed or having condis applied to you, while a 2nd healthbar does not.

Btw making it so all shroud skills are off cooldown when entering shroud is the most OP kitten toe ver suggest, you can go into shroud like every 10 seconds?No you can't go into shroud every 10 seconds because the cooldown doesn't start until after you leave shroud. In practice you only go into shroud once every 15-30 seconds.

@"crepuscular.9047" said:the thing is, no one is saying "you have to use your greatsword on reaper"

there are plenty of ranged weapons at core necro's disposal to use on reaper

There are exactly 3 ranged weapons available to reaper

AxeScepterStaff

Axe is already used by all modern reaper builds.Scepter is only viable on condi builds and condi reaper has been dead and buried ever since Anet killed it off in 2017.Staff is excellent for kiting, but has no power coefficients whatsoever so swapping into it locks you out of applying any kind of pressure until you swap into another weapon. Moreover since Reaper's best damage comes from melee range, there isn't anything to be gained by trying to range kite with staff anyways.

@"felincyriac.5981"

yh scourge is better with FB, reaper was just left behind. How would you make it pair better with FB? Allow a % of healing through shroud? I had a crazy idea of blighters boon working on all boons (not just yours).

Though I guess we can't expect any changes, since anet is convinced all necro specs are fine in competitive. Reaper will just remain a pub stomp spec

I agree and recon the problem is that in the past reaper was OP with its current death shroud mechanic and dps. However, this was about 2-3 years ago.

Since then every profession has been re-worked and buffed with patches except reaper. The current state we in is where our dps is on par with other, but our defence, gap closers and mobility are too out dated to be effective anymore and lag far behind every other profession. Its funny that the general perception of reaper stems from people living in the past which is: "reapers are still OP because of death shroud"

Another interesting idea regarding mobility would be to just scrap it all and stick to the slow theme:

dont make the reaper teleport and jump around like a thief - glue enemies to the reaper instead, with a trait like:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magebane_Tether_(trait_skill)

This is one of the best skill inventions of all time. unfortunately on the wrong e-spec!

Another option is to make all damage conditions on reaper convert to disabling conditions, basically reaper is full power and you don't do any condition damage but everyone that ever dares to touch you gets loaded with slow,cripple,freeze,poison(but only the -33% healing), weakness,blind and some fear so it is a monster cc machine if you get close to it. I know it is stupid but could be a thing or even a new specialization.

• 1 month later...

@Snellibee.2761 said:

But these people would destroy their opponents on any class, because they are way smarter than their opponents.You don't need more skill than playing another spec, you need more skill than your opponent.

Assuming we are talking about 1v1s.

@Crinn.7864 said:

Problem 1: Hardly anyone ever plays FB in regular queues.Problem 2: Reaper is still kitten even with a FB compared to other options.I had a crazy idea of blighters boon working on all boons (not just yours).This is how Blighter's Boon originally worked before being hotfixed literally 4 days after it was released. It was busted and made Reaper nearly impossible to kill. Besides, the last thing anyone in the necromancer community wants it to be forced even harder into the "must have FB" role. It's not engaging to have your effectiveness chained to being paired with a support.Though I guess we can't expect any changes, since anet is convinced all necro specs are fine in competitive. Reaper will just remain a pub stomp spec

Quick reaper fix guide:

That never happened to me. Are u sure u didn't accidentally switch targets?I mean I get a lot of random, things. Like having no target and casting rs2 to run away a bit, but suddenly I get something back in target and charge back. Or suddenly loosing targets.

This would be a very nice change. But I think the icd is for the sake of boon corrupt. So if you make it pulse you might have to change the boon corrupt from every pulse, to every second pulse to not make it op.

• Chilled to the Bone cast time reduced from 1.25 to 0.75 to bring it inline with similar skills on other classes.
  • Gravedigger's reset mechanic is removed and Gravedigger's power scaling increased by 25%.

Ok, the only 2 things I really don't like are the last 2 points.

I'd like to see gravediggers reset removed (especially for the sake of pve gameplay) but I don't think giving it straight more dmg would fix anything.I'd like it more, if the casttime was halfed instead, or you get a 50% bonus critchance on gravedigger, so it's guaranteed to critically hit (which is automatically making it hit harder).

Guess the last change wouldn't be good for pve.

The thing with resetting is super op.

That's like asking for ele, that every time you swap attunement to fire, your CDs are resettled -> infinite meteor showers in wvw would destroy the gamemode (as meteor shower is already way to strong in my opinion, but that has something to do with overall dmg in wvw)

I'd like it much more if there was some kind of cc immunity in shroud - No not that 1 stack of stability from RS3.

The biggest problems of reaper:

1. Weak to enemy range
  2. Weak to fast enemies
  3. Weak to cc
  4. Shroud takes a lot of dmg even with protection when focussed by multiple enemies

Well 3 and 4 go together hand in hand. If you remove one of these, you shouldn't remove the other issue else this would be too strong.

@mijitoboy.4208 said:Dont play GS its garbageUse staff axe warhorn and shroud for meleeThis way you stack enough lifeforce for close combat if neededThat's a nice invitation for your target to burst you while ignoring everything you do when you swap to staff as there will be zero pressure outgoing from you.

GS... garbage... thanks for the laugh!

I don't agree with the majority of reaper players in this thread. Reaper's sustain is not subpar. The spec is just limited to paladin amulet in team fights as this amulet scales better on reaper than on any other spec: 600 ferocity bonus, 100% crit chance, vitality benefits LF pool, toughness further decreases damage in shroud which is already decreased by 50% baseline, high health and toughness help you survive that 10s shroud cooldown. When you go for paladin, you can sustain as long as everyone else.

What reaper is really about is that it trades mobility for aoe (not just damage but also cc and corrupts) which is mainly an issue in wvw roaming scenarios. sPvP maps are so small and full of LOS options and jumping puzzles that the lack of mobility is not really an issue.