Is the Warclaw just a reskinned Griffon?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no issue with recycling as long as there's enough differences. I would prefer they release the mount as it was, than waste money and time on making it just another 2% different for no gain at all.

By the way, even ability animations are recycled between weapons/professions. Doing so with mounts is hardly something worth complaining about if you tolerated the other.

The issue is not that the new mount is just a reskinned griffon. The issue is that the half-dead gamemode that gets close to no updates at all, aside from some basic QoL changes which take months to arrive, finally gets one and instead of a unique healthy feature it gets another slap on the wrist. And this slap takes form of a reskinned pve mount which not only brings nothing healthy but actually dumbs down the gamemode and appears to be nothing but a cheap no effort money skink. That's the issue i think ;)

@Adul.1520 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:In the sense that it's a quadruped? I guess you could say that.

But it doesn't move like the griffon, has different abilities and of course it can't fly, so it's highly unlikely they actually used the griffon model as a basis for it.

They actually did. They said so on Guild Chat. They removed the wings from the griffon, which was their base for what would eventually become the Warclaw.

Given that, I wish they would come out with a Colocal skin for it. I still wish they had a colocal ranger pet.

@Blocki.4931 said:So what? Where's the issue? Saving work to remodel the exact same thing so what gives

This. All game developers everywhere will reutilize assets when possible. You won't find a single 3d game out there in which no model skeleton is reused.

Did you guys know that the mushroom enemies use the skritt skeleton as its base?

Did you guys know that tengu use the charr shaman skeleton as its base, which in turn is a modified version of the normal charr skeleton?

Teen Aurene uses the griffon mount skeleton as its base too. While baby Aurene seems to use the original griffon skeleton as its base (as do rock dogs and icebrood wolves).

@HisElysium.9721 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:So what? Where's the issue? Saving work to remodel the exact same thing so what gives

The issue is its marketed as it being a unique mount when its not and then releasing a 2000 recolor skin pack a week later.

Reusing a skeleton / animation rigging doesn't make something not unique.

All of the mount adoption licenses are basically recolor skin packs. That's not new either. (It was a bad move, imo, to sell them as a pack of five and not like the other adoption licenses though).

@HisElysium.9721 said:

The issue is its marketed as it being a unique mount when its not and then releasing a 2000 recolor skin pack a week later.

Sylvari, norn, and humans also come from the same skeleton.Should anet remove the ‘5 playable races’ from their box as well?If model skeleton is your criteria for ‘unique’ than you can throw half the game out.

You’re calling it an issue but have yet to explain why its an issue.

And what does the skin pack have anything to do with it? If anything, 2000 gems for 5 skins is pretty cheap, considering we all expected them to be sold seperately for 1000-2000 a skin

Aren’t riftstalkers just reskinned Karkas ? Aren’t branded undead just reskinned undead ? We could go on and on for hours.....

Plenty of games have reused skeletons whether we take about assets for designing environments or even profession skills.

WvW Player: "Why is ANET spending resources on designing a mount we don't want when there are hundreds of issues that need fixing first?"

Also a WvW Player: "Why did ANET recycle the skeleton for the Griffon mount instead of dedicating resources to creating a totally new and unique mount for WvW?"

¯_(ツ)_/¯

... yes? Made more obvious by sharing the same T pose bugs as the griffon.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

Sylvari, norn, and humans also come from the same skeleton.Should anet remove the ‘5 playable races’ from their box as well?If model skeleton is your criteria for ‘unique’ than you can throw half the game out.

You’re calling it an issue but have yet to explain
why
its an issue.

And what does the skin pack have anything to do with it? If anything, 2000 gems for 5 skins is pretty cheap, considering we all expected them to be sold seperately for 1000-2000 a skin

I don't think those comparisons work very well here. Maybe they use the same skeleton but there are a lot of armor pieces that works on one and not quite on others. Sylvari always seems to have a problem with the shoulders

I don't see the problem here. It's a mount that was based from the Griffon animations and skeleton, but developed into its own thing. They said so themselves that it started out as a Griffon without its wings and opens holes on the side of its body. It's very much its own mount at this point though. Outside of WvW it has lackluster use and you're better served hopping up on your jackal, but that's perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned, it is intended to be a WvW mount with WvW-oriented skills. What's important to me is that it feels feline in its movement. It just so happens to be that the griffon also feels feline. The movement feels right.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:My biggest issue with it is that it’s so bulky. Sometimes when I’m riding it I feel like I’m riding a triceratops or something. Lol

What race? I find it too small for my Charr (not surprisingly) but very suitable on my Asura. Haven't tried it on Norns/Humans/Cabbages yet.

• ArenaNet Staff

"Reskinned" isn't quite right, but you're on the right track in that it's the same rig! We did talk some about it on last week's Guild Chat, but if you want a more in-depth discussion on the topic, we did a Guild Chat back in 2016 with one of our Game Designers and one of our Animators about creature design. We get into a conversation about building creatures from existing rigs

. Ben uses behind the scenes footage of some existing in-game creatures to explain why it's done this way.

@"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:"Reskinned" isn't quite right, but you're on the right track in that it's the same rig! We did talk some about it on last week's Guild Chat, but if you want a more in-depth discussion on the topic, we did a Guild Chat back in 2016 with one of our Game Designers and one of our Animators about creature design. We get into a conversation about building creatures from existing rigs

. Ben uses behind the scenes footage of some existing in-game creatures to explain why it's done this way.

Nice to see a anet post hope to see more and dif people post in the future

@"Rubi Bayer.8493" said:"Reskinned" isn't quite right, but you're on the right track in that it's the same rig! We did talk some about it on last week's Guild Chat, but if you want a more in-depth discussion on the topic, we did a Guild Chat back in 2016 with one of our Game Designers and one of our Animators about creature design. We get into a conversation about building creatures from existing rigs

As a person who heavily modified Elder Scrolls4: Oblivion, I can fully appreciate/understand this. I don’t think anyone who hasn’t had some experience could honestly. Thank you for the reply.

I just had the same reflexion. It's obvious after a few minutes messing around with the mount. I'm gonna be harsh but that release has been disappointing on almost every aspect compared to what ANet used us to. When I first saw the raptor, I was absolutely amazed at how real it felt, with its movements. This had remained true for every new mount, until now...

The Warclaw is a re-used model (It's way too bulky to make a beautiful feline, which is hidden by the armor but is absolutely obvious on the Outrider skin. A real new model crafted from scratch would've looked so mutch better...), it has poor animations (it's not nearly on the same level as any other mount, the head doesn't move at all except for the eyes, making any unarmored skin ugly).On the utlity side of things, the mount does nothing except making WvW unbalanced for people who don't own PoF.

Seriously, it is usually obvious that ANet puts all their hearts and efforts into a big release like a mount, but this one? It looks very poorly crafted and once you've seen that it's a reskined griffon, you can't unsee it, making it look even worse.