Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

@Toguro.7641 said:Doing Hearts and Minds of the Personal Story and I crashed at the end after beating Mordremoth. Now I have to start from the kitten beginning again. How is this kitten still not fixed when it was originally reported almost an entire year ago? It has done it on the end of other Personal Story quests as well. However this one was pretty time consuming. Can a GM mark it as completed so I don't have to go through this kitten again?

They can not. See your other post/thread.

Good luck.

@"Moloch Baal.3809" said:I was doing the "Confront Balthazar" mission and redid it three times. Lost connection to server every time after I killed him but when still in the instance. Don't feel like killing him a fourth time just to have the same thing happen. Anybody knows how to solve this problem?

Yeah, I just finished "To Kill a God" confront Balthazar and I again got booted at the final cut scene after I killed him. This has happened to me on 3 other story-line quests..and I REFUSE to do this tedious quest again. Enough of "fixes" for the customer to do. This has been a KNOWN issue for over a year now and still no fix or workaround. If the game can't handle going from dynamic game play time to cut scenes then Arena net needs to fix it.

@"Jeffrey Vaughn.1793"I've been playing since before launch, and never had a Story Instance disconnect...until today. Sigh. (It just had to be "To Kill a God".)Here's what changed: new computer using Win10.I'm no longer using my old potato; much better FPS and graphics.So, either it's Win10 or i5 and/or GeForce GTX 1050...I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

You cannot get an answer from ANET. You cannot get support for this issue. You can try all of the "It Worked For Me" suggestions you will find. You can go through the maze of info re Port Forwarding and router modifications. You can argue with your ISP. You can demand or set a static IP address instead of a dynamic IP address. Bottom line is, it is an in-game issue ( Arenanet ) with programming. They have been, according to them, looking into it or, testing a fix but, truth is, for many the issue is getting worse and worse. GW2 is, for many, becoming unplayable. And the number suffering the issue is growing. Do they care? Apparently not. The only suggestion I can make at this time is, look for another game from another company and if you find anything that comes close to this one, post the information.

Tried the latest story twice. Got to the cutscene after the battle with Kralkatorrik and disconnected. I came back later and tried again. Same issue at the exact same point.

Why do I bother with this broken game? Maybe you guys could do us all a favor and put the game-breaking bugs in the first 5 seconds of the story moving forward so we don't waste our time playing through it only to be unable to finish it?

What a fun "adventure". Back to WvW I guess...

Can barely finish any instance that has a cutscene at the end because I keep getting DCed at the end, and each instance usually takes 2+ tries to get through. Not fun at all repeating instances over and over (especially super long ones like The Departing) because of the same issue. Sadly, this has been a problem for years now and still not fixed. If they can't replicate the issue, one playthrough of The Departing is guaranteed to get at least one or two DCs.

Yep! Went up against the sniper. Made it through the poison, beat her down, listened to her "end it all now" speech and then, DC'd. Eleven friggin' times. Gave up. Different character. Made it to the last cut scene after beating on Kralk. Where you come too and slowly limp toward the crystalized body of Aurene, as I awake, DC'd eight times. Have given up. Destroy the spear that will kill the dragon. DC'd at least a half a dozen times. We have a small guild that plays storyline and not WvW. Two members recently quit GW completely. Two more are on the verge. And, it isn't getting better. It is getting worse with each new chapter they add. If you look at the list of bugs they actually fix you will see that it is mainly the ones where you can spend real money to buy trinkets, costumes or weapons. Would it not make more economic sense in the long run to concentrate on not losing customers?

@"Robbing Hood De Uru.2307" said:. Would it not make more economic sense in the long run to concentrate on not losing customers?

Why would they do that? Plenty of people spent cash on those warclaw skins, the very same warclaw wich you cant complete the ''Perfect Fit'' achievement because they were too short sighted to try it before implimenting it.

3 known bug were fixed so far this year, 2 of wich were cash shop items bugs.

Source: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/231272908-Known-Issue-Tracker

I'm getting disconnected in almost every story mission I've attempted so far. The aggravating thing is getting sent back to the start of the mission when it's a mission full of forced dialogue. The only thing I've noticed is that I seem to be disconnecting during the dialogue with a character. The latest disconnect being during the final conversation with

! Joko during the mission The Departing.

It always seems to be either during the final dialogue or if to get to a final dialogue, there is a cut scene. I am even getting dumped at the end of missions that many of my other avies finished with no problem. I have one other game that has started to act the same way but it is a FLASH based game so I cannot see any connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird but, seem to get far fewer DC's when I play on my laptop as opposed to the desktop. Laptop is wifi, PC is lan. Both Windows 10. PC downloads at twice the speed of the laptop. Uploads are the same speed. Same home network / router / ISP. Speedtest gives me 126 mbps on PC and only 52 mbps on laptop. It is an MSI gaming laptop but, cannot figure out why one is different than the other. May try installing a WiFi card in the PC and see what happens. If it changes anything, will report back...

@"Robbing Hood De Uru.2307" said:Weird but, seem to get far fewer DC's when I play on my laptop as opposed to the desktop.It might be the graphic card, "too good"/recent. I've never had issues with my old PC, but I often read of people with good PC having issues. You could try to lower a bit some settings or to update your driver.Out of curiosity, do you use the same video settings on desktop and laptop?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:@"Jeffrey Vaughn.1793"I've been playing since before launch, and never had a Story Instance disconnect...until today. Sigh. (It just had to be "To Kill a God".)Here's what changed: new computer using Win10.I'm no longer using my old potato; much better FPS and graphics.So, either it's Win10 or i5 and/or GeForce GTX 1050...I guess.

Actually, this has been a known issue for huge portions of the player base since the launch of living story missions, if not earlier. I've had the issue on every PC I've used, on every connection, in every place I've played. That's multiple high end devices on both hard-wired and wifi connections with all commonly suggested workarounds applied even across countries, this is 100% on Anet's back and they've been actively ignoring it. The simplest solution is to do what the vast majority of their competitors do at the end of an instance: Flag the instance as complete and allow the player to pick up from the start of the final cutscene. Alternatively, they could just not set their checkpoints so far apart in lengthy missions which is universally accepted as poor game design on the most basic of levels.

As to the issue I'm here for: 3x disconnects at the same point of the final cutscene of 'The Crystal Dragon', forcing a repeat of the last 1/3 of the mission (which is at least ~10 minutes no matter how you spin it). All work around applied, none effective. Progress blocked. The returning player campaign should be labelled 'Welcome Back: Eat **** and die!'.

@Draxian.7945 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793I've been playing since before launch, and never had a Story Instance disconnect...until today. Sigh. (It just had to be "To Kill a God".)Here's what changed: new computer using Win10.I'm no longer using my old potato; much better FPS and graphics.So, either it's Win10 or i5 and/or GeForce GTX 1050...I guess.

Actually, this has been a known issue for huge portions of the player base since the launch of living story missions, if not earlier. I've had the issue on every PC I've used, on every connection, in every place I've played. That's multiple high end devices on both hard-wired and wifi connections with all commonly suggested workarounds applied even across countries, this is 100% on Anet's back and they've been actively ignoring it. The simplest solution is to do what the vast majority of their competitors do at the end of an instance: Flag the instance as complete and allow the player to pick up from the start of the final cutscene. Alternatively, they could just not set their checkpoints so far apart in lengthy missions which is universally accepted as poor game design on the most basic of levels.

I'm well aware of the issue, and how long the Devs have been working on it (see Dev posts in this very thread). I merely wanted to post some information for @Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 to add to his compilation, as requested.To be fair, I've not had a disconnect during a Story instance since, and completed that particular one on the next try.

tl;dr - If you are still having trouble, try modifying some of your graphics settings up or down. Also make sure your in-game resolution matches the resolution your Windows is set to.

So I've been having this issue with my laptop, but I FINALLY was able to get through the Forging the Pact mission for the first time! Everything worked after I increased my in-game resolution (from 1080p to 4k) and changed some of my graphics settings. I lag like a crippled Risen, but I got through the mission. Could be a coincidence, but that makes me 1 out of 6+ attempts. I should also note that I am running in Fullscreen, not Windowed or Windowed Fullscreen.

What I changed

FromTo
Resolution1920x10803840x2160
ShadowsHighMedium
Character LimitMediumLow
Character QualityLowHigh
SamplingNativeSupersampling

My system

Laptop ModelDell XP 15 9560 Signature Edition
CPUIntel Core i7-7700HQ
RAM16 GB
Video CardNvidia GeForce GTX 1050

I think it's also worth mentioning that I do not have this issue with my desktop. On that system, I run both my OS and Guild Wars 2 at 1080p and have all settings at or close to Max/High. Here are its specs:

CPUIntel i7-3770
RAM16 GB
Video CardNvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti

I have a modern gaming pc that's new enough that it's still being sold officially. It's 1 year old at most. It's fast, I have 16GB of ram, a GTX 1060....

So why am I unable to complete:

HOT main Story (Bitter Harvest, after Caithe is told to remove her daggers. Disconnected.)

POF main story ( disconnected in 'enemy of my enemy' after closing the forged portal.)

and several Living World chapters? (Mainly in Confessor's End, after defeating Caudecus - disconnected.)

I am getting so tired of playing this game's story mode.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm on my 4th attempt on this portion of my Storyline. I have tried everything in this thread.

I need a GM to just turn on a boolean variable that says I completed this fucking mission - because this is preventing me from buying the xpacs.I came back to GW2 yesterday and I told my husband "I won't buy the expansions until I finish my Personal Story and Season 2, because I never finished those when I was playing this game (the second time around)"And he was like "that is a wise decision wife"And I was like "I know, I am amazing. I can't help it, I was born this way"

Ok, but in all seriousness - after reading 7 pages of this thread, and realizing this have been an ongoing issue for 2 years... there is a very good chance I WONT be dropping $50 on this game to buy both expansions. This is very disheartening. I played GW1, and I played this game during Beta and Launch and I loved it. I came back in 2015 and loved it. To this day, GW2 is a fantastic MMO - but it's such a shame that I'm in this "I want to finish the Story Mode before I buy the xpac" mindset, and I can't do that!

@"Pixii.6347" said:So I'm on my 4th attempt on this portion of my Storyline. I have tried everything in this thread.

I need a GM to just turn on a boolean variable that says I completed this kitten mission - because this is preventing me from buying the xpacs.I came back to GW2 yesterday and I told my husband "I won't buy the expansions until I finish my Personal Story and Season 2, because I never finished those when I was playing this game (the second time around)"And he was like "that is a wise decision wife"And I was like "I know, I am amazing. I can't help it, I was born this way"

Ok, but in all seriousness - after reading 7 pages of this thread, and realizing this have been an ongoing issue for 2 years... there is a very good chance I WONT be dropping $50 on this game to buy both expansions. This is very disheartening. I played GW1, and I played this game during Beta and Launch and I loved it. I came back in 2015 and loved it. To this day, GW2 is a fantastic MMO - but it's such a shame that I'm in this "I want to finish the Story Mode before I buy the xpac" mindset, and I can't do that!

Hiya,

It's a real shame that this prevents you from finishing the vanilla stuff and moving on to the (infinitely cooler) rest of the content.When I had the issue, I fixed it by deleting the local.dat file at %AppData%\Roaming\Guild Wars 2, and locking my FPS to 60. Though I can't vouch for the long run, as I've since replaced my entire PC, it at least worked back then.

Hope it helps!

Me and my partners regularly start playing gw2 again since we bought the game around release. Every single time we enjoy the game, every single time we would love to continue the story line. Every single time we get a little bit further. Every single time we run into this bug near the end of an endlessly long story quest. "Hidden Arcana" this time, just before the end scene, in a forced cutscene as always. Every single time we stop playing again soon after. I simply don't want to waste my time, doing the same, often hard to complete story for an hour, over and over, only to be booted again at the end.

since it first occured, we've moved twice. We bought two sets of new computers so the error occured on six different machines in total. We've had several different broadband suppliers. We soloed the quests, we duoed them. We get booted without logic. Sometimes alone playing solo, sometimes both, sometimes one of us gets booted while the other can continue. This is clearly not on our end. It is always the same, you see your own character with that camera icon above its head and you know it's over.... again. I understand that it is an elusive bug to catch and I accept that you can't find it. What is beyond me however is why you refuse to bring your gameplay into this century and place regular save points or use any other of the many options available to safeguard progress, to show that you value our time.

I bought some of your gems and I truly regret that now, I wish I could get my money back because this is poor service. Anyway, I now went on gave Eso my business, you just lost about 60 quid, again. If my wife decides to buy anything there then you lost double that.

I'll see you at the next attempt in another half year or so. Don't bet on me buying any more gems that time around though.

@Matuno.3607 said:

@"Pixii.6347" said:So I'm on my 4th attempt on this portion of my Storyline. I have tried everything in this thread.

I need a GM to just turn on a boolean variable that says I completed this kitten mission - because this is preventing me from buying the xpacs.I came back to GW2 yesterday and I told my husband "I won't buy the expansions until I finish my Personal Story and Season 2, because I never finished those when I was playing this game (the second time around)"And he was like "that is a wise decision wife"And I was like "I know, I am amazing. I can't help it, I was born this way"

Hiya,

It's a real shame that this prevents you from finishing the vanilla stuff and moving on to the (infinitely cooler) rest of the content.When I had the issue, I fixed it by deleting the local.dat file at
%AppData%\Roaming\Guild Wars 2
, and locking my FPS to 60. Though I can't vouch for the long run, as I've since replaced my entire PC, it at least worked back then.

Hope it helps!

Thank you! I will keep that in mind if that happens again. I actually just tried again today (5th attempt) and FINALLY got through to the end.

• I made sure nothing was running in the background on my PC (just in case)
  • I set the settings all the way to potato (even though my PC can handle super mega ultra quantanamo)
  • And I tabbed out during every single cut scene

I don't know if any of those 3 helped, or the game finally just got unstuck right there - but I'm finally on to the next part! WOO HOO!

• 4 weeks later...

If I knew all that I would have never bought both expansions.

I am getting disconnected only duing story mode. Usually once or two but now i tried 8 times to finish last HoT mission and always get disconnected during dialogues or cutscenes. I wasted about 6 hours.

Why there is no checkpoints? No solution?

Maybe I should get refound cuz game I bought is UNPLAYABLE.