DirectX v12 on Win7 for WoW.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Different game, different graphics, different staff capacities. All assuming that upgrading DX will offer any benefit which Anet has stated that it would be minimal if at all.

different engine in 1st place ehehe

Only thing that game increases besides its version itt's the aoe skills in the skillbar with reduced CD, that's Anet way to improve games.

Lmao, so what? Everything pre-WoD looks like low-res garbage (which is like 60% of the game's textures and models). Dx11 didn't even make anything look better, it just forced shadows and stopped people with Low-End machines from playing it.

See:

The only major difference from Dx9 to Dx11 are shaders and lighting, textures and models are the same and they're all overdue for an overhaul

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Different game, different graphics, different staff capacities. All assuming that upgrading DX will offer any benefit which Anet has stated that it would be minimal if at all.

different engine in 1st place
ehehe

Only thing that game increases besides its version itt's the aoe skills in the skillbar with reduced CD, that's Anet way to improve games.

That too.

@Defias.1892 my 4k gw2 looks better than that xD

Still the DX12 improvements over the DX9-11 would be apreciated, the thing is im wondering if what dx12 has good would afect that much the gw2 performance :\ humnmn

colision detection system is way better on dx12(duno if would reduce server load if setted to on servier side), and propbably direct3d12.

@"Aeolus.3615" said:Still the DX12 improvements over the DX9-11 would be apreciated, the thing is im wondering if what dx12 has good would afect that much the gw2 performance :\ humnmn

Well, I'm using the Dx12 mod (https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ak0mqs/d912pxy_directx12_for_guild_wars_2/) and I can tell you it made a huge difference for me. My FPS in Mistlock Sanctuary went from 8-10 FPS to 30 FPS. In the middle of a 50 man blob in WvW I recently started getting FPS drops to 5-7, but now it keeps it at a mid 20 FPS, and just running around with my squada an even 30FPS.

It does have some graphical issues (mainly character portraits) and the occasional crash (maybe 5 times in the month I've used it) but the FPS gain alone is worth those hindrances.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n/

As stated in the above thread, the issue is with the main thread and not the render thread. All interaction with DX occurs on the render thread so going to DX12 will not do much.

I’ve seen other articles that back this up that the multi thread performance boosts tend to impact only the rendering.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-methods-and-practices-of-directx-11-multithreaded-rendering

and

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tutorial-migrating-your-apps-to-directx-12-part-5

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Aeolus.3615" said:Still the DX12 improvements over the DX9-11 would be apreciated, the thing is im wondering if what dx12 has good would afect that much the gw2 performance :\ humnmn

Well, I'm using the Dx12 mod (
) and I can tell you it made a huge difference for me. My FPS in Mistlock Sanctuary went from 8-10 FPS to 30 FPS. In the middle of a 50 man blob in WvW I recently started getting FPS drops to 5-7, but now it keeps it at a mid 20 FPS, and just running around with my squada an even 30FPS.

It does have some graphical issues (mainly character portraits) and the occasional crash (maybe 5 times in the month I've used it) but the FPS gain alone is worth those hindrances.

Perhaps for your system, part of the issue you were having was because of an underperforming GPU and the add-on improves that. Notice how a lot of people who tried that program didn’t notice any improvements at all?

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Well, I'm using the Dx12 mod (
) and I can tell you it made a huge difference for me. My FPS in Mistlock Sanctuary went from 8-10 FPS to 30 FPS. In the middle of a 50 man blob in WvW I recently started getting FPS drops to 5-7, but now it keeps it at a mid 20 FPS, and just running around with my squada an even 30FPS.

Oh ty, i m8 try that this weekend :}

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:The WoW engine is even older than the GW2 one. If it is possible for WoW, then it should be possible here. Hell, WoW is even older than GW1.

Nope. GW2's engine is the GW1 engine, albeit modified heavily. WoW's engine and GW1's engine were both built for their respective games. They were released 5 months apart so given development times, the engines are about the same age, give or take several months.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:The WoW engine is even older than the GW2 one. If it is possible for WoW, then it should be possible here. Hell, WoW is even older than GW1.

I think you will see GW3 faster. The game is slowly coming to an end

Hmm, I don't think so. For a MMO, GW2 is still quite young. We could still see 5+ years worth of living World and expansions before moving on to the next big thing.Just my opinion.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Hmm, I don't think so. For a MMO, GW2 is still quite young. We could still see 5+ years worth of living World and expansions before moving on to the next big thing.Just my opinion.

The map is almost filled up. How many dragons left? Im not saying its going to end in a year or whatever. But i will be surprised if GW3 wont pop up in 3-4 years

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

The map is almost filled up. How many dragons left? Im not saying its going to end in a year or whatever. But i will be surprised if GW3 wont pop up in 3-4 years

Considering 2 dragons were killed so far and there is 4 total, we haven't even hit the half way mark (if we stick to only the dragons theme, PoF main story was completely dragon unrelated).

That said, GW3 releasing in the next 3-4 years is close to impossible. For GW3 to release in this sort of time frame, it would have to be in development already, which we know it is not, and/ or get developed within 3-4 years which is also impossible, especially with the developers available (even more so after the recent layoffs).

The only reason why there hasn't been an engine update is simple: it costs a ton of money and time (in form of developer resources) and does not generate direct revenue.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Considering 2 dragons were killed so far and there is 4 total, we haven't even hit the half way mark (if we stick to only the dragons theme, PoF main story was completely dragon unrelated).

That said, GW3 releasing in the next 3-4 years is close to impossible. For GW3 to release in this sort of time frame, it would have to be in development already, which we know it is not, and/ or get developed within 3-4 years which is also impossible, especially with the developers available (even more so after the recent layoffs).

The only reason why there hasn't been an engine update is simple: it costs a ton of money and time (in form of developer resources) and does not generate direct revenue.

But if everyone else can keep upgrading their engine and whatnot i see no reason why Anet cant do that. I mean, best example of that is Path of Exile made by indie company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NEqBkPpYpQ&feature=youtu.be

If they can do that, i see no reason for Anet to not upgrade their engine. if they dont have gw3 in plans.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

But if everyone else can keep upgrading their engine and whatnot i see no reason why Anet cant do that. I mean, best example of that is Path of Exile made by indie company.

If they can do that, i see no reason for Anet to not upgrade their engine. if they dont have gw3 in plans.

Oh I agree, I personally would devote resources to upgrading the engine. My personal opinion is biased though since I am a player of the game and I have no insight knowledge of which constraints and limitations are in place.

Ideally the developers can find a balance for both, content which generates revenue and fun game play as well as quality of life upgrades in form of engine performance improvements.

@Cyninja.2954 said:The only reason why there hasn't been an engine update is simple: it costs a ton of money and time (in form of developer resources) and does not generate direct revenue.

The only way an engine update would positively impact revenue would be to reverse the decision of people who tried the F2P game, but didn't move on to purchase it because of poor game performed on their rig. As I don't believe there is an 'exit poll' or anything when you choose to uninstall GW2, who knows what those numbers look like?

I feel very confident in saying that reworking the engine to modern standards would increase the player base, bringing in both new players and returning vets, but enough to justify the investment? Impossible to say.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:The only reason why there hasn't been an engine update is simple: it costs a ton of money and time (in form of developer resources) and does not generate direct revenue.

The only way an engine update would positively impact revenue would be to reverse the decision of people who tried the F2P game, but didn't move on to purchase it because of poor game performed on their rig. As I don't believe there is an 'exit poll' or anything when you choose to uninstall GW2, who knows what those numbers look like?

I feel very confident in saying that reworking the engine to modern standards would increase the player base, bringing in both new players and returning vets, but enough to justify the investment? Impossible to say.

There was an exit poll at one point and might well still be. A few years ago (2016 I think) I got an email to the address I use for my second account asking me to fill in a survey about why I'd stopped playing - I got it about 6 months after I forgot the password and stopped logging in.

I decided to fill in the survey but made it clear that was my second account and I still played my main one. It was quite a long survey, if I remember correctly it asked about what professions you'd tried, what areas of the game you played, and asked about what you liked, what you didn't like, what you found confusing for each one. I'm not sure what they did with the data (if anything) since this was after the New Player Experience update, but maybe it has informed the design since. (Maybe one of the common answers was "I quit when I found out there's no mounts" ;) )

And the one dev that emulates dx12 can give 20% pr more increased performance with his tool. But full blow dx12 support will be minimal for sure....