Is gw2 going down the path of heavy microtransactions

@battledrone.8315 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:It was always microtransaction heavy ... that's GW2's business model.

Exactly and Istan was a mess. Couldn’t even see what was going on so if nerfing it means a better playing experience then fantastic.

There is zero link between the nerf and the business model though

OH I agree, zones for farming have zero relation to game revenue ... though some people don't understand that.

yea, you totally cant convert the gold to premium currency, and use it on cashshop itemsthe idea is ludicrous

Those are gems come from a pool of gems that have been "sold" for gold already, so no revenue is lost.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that it can be annoying if your favorite (and most likely the most rewarding) farming content ends up being removed or nerfed but this is hardly done to create cash shop revenue.

To be honest, we are the ones who are to blame here. It can be a little tricky to predict the almost ridiculous farming environment we end up creating around certain content. Just think about it for a bit... Remember AB multiloot? Remember CoF1 dungeon farm? Both became almost a science in the end which turned either into content that was far more rewarding than anything else at the time and certainly more rewarding than ArenaNet ever intended - to an almost game breaking degree.This is also the very reason why they decided to go with a daily system for Fractals and weekly raid rewards. It is the reason why Open World content needs to be looked at once in a while. Having everyone focus on a single thing is simply not healthy for the game in it's entirety.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:It was always microtransaction heavy ... that's GW2's business model.

Exactly and Istan was a mess. Couldn’t even see what was going on so if nerfing it means a better playing experience then fantastic.

OH I agree, zones for farming have zero relation to game revenue ... though some people don't understand that.

yea, you totally cant convert the gold to premium currency, and use it on cashshop itemsthe idea is ludicrous

So .. I'm talking about farming and you are talking about gold conversion to gems ... so tell me what data you have that shows the overall percentage of gold made from farmed items that people convert it to gems and buy something from the store ... then we can have a sensible discussion about the 'impact' THAT farming-earned gold to gem conversion has on game revenue. Don't worry, I will wait.

@Obtena.7952 said:

So .. I'm talking about farming and you are talking about gold conversion to gems ... so tell me what data you have that shows the overall percentage of gold made from farmed items that people convert it to gems and buy something from the store ... then we can have a sensible discussion about the 'impact' THAT farming-earned gold to gem conversion has on game revenue. Don't worry, I will wait.

You did say farming had zero relation to revenue. Gems are revenue. There are people who farm gold to buy gems, and people who buy gems to exchange for gold. Seems like farming does have a relation to revenue, regardless of how much. Gem exchanges even fluctuates for a reason.

Also, you don't have any data yourself, meaning you can't for certainty really talk about how much of an impact gold<--->gems has on their revenue. Either way, if it had zero impact, the feature wouldn't exist anyways, as it costed them money to implement it.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

You did say farming had
zero
relation to revenue. Gems are revenue. There are people who farm gold to buy gems, and people who buy gems to exchange for gold. Seems like farming does have a relation to revenue, regardless of how much. Gem exchanges even fluctuates for a reason.

Also, you don't have any data yourself, meaning you can't for certainty really talk about how much of an impact gold<--->gems has on their revenue. Either way, if it had zero impact, the feature wouldn't exist anyways, as it costed them money to implement it.

Like someone already explained ... that's a different pool of gems.

Gold started losing value cause of the big farms so gems started to cost more over time, the supply probably didn't change but the demand skyrocketed. So those who buy the gems wouldn't want to trade for the old price. You can notice that the prices of most expensive materials started to tank, but i believe that was intentional so the TP prices for some stuff to be affordable and the nerfs came gradually to level the prices to the level that the devs desire not too pricy but enough to have good value. There is some things like Hardened leather that piss me off but what can i do.

@battledrone.8315 said:

What are you going to buy with those gems to "win"? Bag space? Call me when they add end game gear, not the skins, the gear, to the gem store, then we can start talking about P2W. Until then, it's just not a thing here. In fact, here is listed as a model for what actual P2W game's stores should look like.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

What are you going to buy with those gems to "win"? Bag space? Call me when they add end game gear, not the skins, the gear, to the gem store, then we can start talking about P2W. Until then, it's just not a thing here. In fact, here is listed as a model for what actual P2W game's stores should look like.

who said anything about "winning"? she said farming has ZERO relation to game revenue...if that was the case, they would had scrapped the system long time agovery few companies willl spend resources on something, that doesnt bring profitand of course the fact, that the farmed items are DIRECTLY connected to the cashshop through the gold/gem conversion

@Blocki.4931 said:

Those are gems come from a pool of gems that have been "sold" for gold already, so no revenue is lost.

lol...do you know how money works? if i buy 20$ of gems, and you have gathered enough gold to convert those 20 $, where does the companyget the last 20$ from? god?

@battledrone.8315 said:

lol...do you know how money works? if i buy 20$ of gems, and you have gathered enough gold to convert those 20 $, where does the companyget the last 20$ from? god?

Here's how it works, according to information published by Arenanet themselves (l-o-n-g ago):

1. If I buy 800 gems for €10, this creates 800 gems.
  2. If I convert them to gold, I effectively sell them to a pool of gems available for others to buy for gold.
  3. If you now buy 800 gems with gold, this removes those gems from the pool and transfers them to you. At the same time your gold is added to the pool ov gold available to buy for gems.
  4. If you now spend these gems in the gem store, you get one or more items or services, and the gems cease to exist.So, in effect all that's happened is that I spent real cash once, you get items, and some gold was effectively transferred from you to me (albeit indirectly). So in fact there's no double set of transactions here, and no Money lost.

@battledrone.8315 said:

who said anything about "winning"? she said farming has ZERO relation to game revenue...if that was the case, they would had scrapped the system long time agovery few companies willl spend resources on something, that doesnt bring profitand of course the fact, that the farmed items are DIRECTLY connected to the cashshop through the gold/gem conversion

No, they're not. Buy some gems, hit the gem store, and buy the gear. Post a video, I'd love to see it.

If it's going to be "but, you can buy gold with gems, and then buy gear". That's not directly tied to the gem shop any more, is it. We can get all convoluted, but the fact is, you cannot buy the gear with gems, no matter how hard you try, nor how hard you try to convince someone else you can. I've been in games with actual P2W scenarios, this isn't one of them. It's amazing how the gaming community works though: In an actual p2w scenario, they want the cs to be more like GW2. In GW2, being able to buy things like unbreakable tools for gathering, or armor skins, is p2w...

Looking at the gem store - i would say for a non-subscription game it is less P2W than most.The prices in the store seem quite high though, £30.00 for a gathering tool for example.

But there is no need to buy, and i guess the prices are set by what players are willing to pay.

@Obtena.7952 said:

You did say farming had
zero
relation to revenue. Gems are revenue. There are people who farm gold to buy gems, and people who buy gems to exchange for gold. Seems like farming does have a relation to revenue, regardless of how much. Gem exchanges even fluctuates for a reason.

That has nothing to do with what I said.If someone makes a legendary to sell for gold, to buy gems (or anything for that matter), and someone sold their gems for gold to buy the legendary that is a clear example of how farming impacted revenue. Without someone to farm the legendary to sell it there wouldn't be the option to sell their gems for gold to buy it. People who are either lazy or don't have time will exchange their gems for gold to buy items from people who actually farmed them. This is just one example. If the exchange didn't bring money, as I said, they wouldn't have spent money implementing the system.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

You did say farming had
zero

That has nothing to do with what I said.If someone makes a legendary to sell for gold, to buy gems (or anything for that matter), and someone sold their gems for gold to buy the legendary that is a clear example of how farming impacted revenue. Without someone to farm the legendary to sell it there wouldn't be the option to sell their gems for gold to buy it. People who are either lazy or don't have time will exchange their gems for gold to buy items from people who actually farmed them. This is just one example. If the exchange didn't bring money, as I said, they wouldn't have spent money implementing the system.

So the only reason people farm legendary gear to sell is that someone will buy gems and convert them to gold to buy it? What about the people that farm gold legitimately? You don't think if they can take the shortcut of buying the gear they'd do it? What if it's neither lazy, nor not having the time, but not wanting to play some of the content required to get to where they can craft their own, where it can be crafted? So many reasons to buy it, instead of farm it or craft it, I barely scratched the surface of the tip of the iceberg that is reasons to buy it instead. However, since the topic mentions going P2W, and you're railing about this system being in game, the implication is that this is somehow P2W. So, since you're bringing it up here, I still want to know, win what?

@Zohane.7208 said:

Here's how it works, according to information published by Arenanet themselves (l-o-n-g ago):
  2. If I convert them to gold, I effectively sell them to a pool of gems available for others to buy for gold.
  3. If you now buy 800 gems with gold, this removes those gems from the pool and transfers them to you. At the same time your gold is added to the pool ov gold available to buy for gems.
  4. If you now spend these gems in the gem store, you get one or more items or services, and the gems cease to exist.So, in effect all that's happened is that I spent real cash once, you get items, and some gold was effectively transferred from you to me (albeit indirectly). So in fact there's no double set of transactions here, and no Money lost.

sooo the gems "cease to exist" , but the value they had , somehow dont? if you cant see the issue with this, go to any economist

@battledrone.8315 said:

sooo the gems "cease to exist" , but the value they had , somehow dont? if you cant see the issue with this, go to any economist

You really need to read up on how the gem exchange works, and stop insulting other people trying to explain how the exchange works.

You are incorrect, plain and simple.

• If player A buys 800 gems for €10, then Arenanet gains €10 and the 800 gems are created.
  • If player A now converts those gems to gold, they get added to the gem exchange pool for gold and player A loses the purchase power of those 800 gems. The conversion rate now moves based on total values of gems and gold available in both pools of the exchange. In this case, gems become cheaper per gold (gems supply increases, gold supply decreases).
  • If player B farms 200 gold in game and then spends those 200 gold on the exchange, he gains 800 gems both increasing the supply in gold in the exchange and reducing the supply of gems in the exchange. The conversion rates adjust again, in this case gems become more expensive per gold (gem supply decreases, gold supply increases).
  • Player B now has the purchasing power of 800 gems which were drained from the exchange.
  • The exchange did not generate any gems.

At no point in time is purchasing power created or destroyed for those gems. It is merely held in the exchange. The balancing factor being the time investment required to accumulate gold in game versus money earned or gained outside of the game. As a matter of fact, if gem products are calculated in gold value, the people who convert gold to gems pay a hefty premium due to the taxation.

The ability to farm gold only affects the exchange rates as far as that it affects the total amount of gold available and how encouraged people are to spend gems in the first place. Suffice to say, one farm getting removed will hardly have any affect on its own and if it did, it would have been broken beyond belief compared to other in game methods of wealth acquisition.

@battledrone.8315 said:

The info came from the original gw2 economist FYI

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:Also, it makes me crack each time I see people talking kitten about their fears of pay to win coming to GW2, when it's literally here for years - like, almost every e-spec only available from paid expansions is way, way better than core profession - and I rarely hear somebody complaining about this, for some reason.

Pay-to-win refers to the predatory practice of making it impossible to complete or continue a game without spending on microtransactions to remain current. Purchasing an expansion is the macrotransaction that makes some of this game's content buy-to-play. They could, I suppose, offer WvW and PvP for Core-only, HoT-only, and PoF-only players, but it would whittle down the community of each. Instead, they leave it up to the player to decide whether they want to have every option or not. After all, you can compete in both modes with core alone (you're just more limited and generally have to be better).

Pay to win refers to the practice of charging players for a competitive advantage over other players.

@Randulf.7614 said:

This also happens in real world economies.

Fiat currency is destroyed by the countries' treasuries, but the economy as a whole still retains that destroyed 'value.' This is because new currency is printed to replace the destroyed currency, depending on whether the treasury wants the value to grow or shrink.

Gems and gold act similarly. If one assumes a transaction fee, gems are destroyed during the gem-gold conversion as well as when being spent in the gemstore, and then replaced when players spend real money to buy more. Gold is destroyed through the various gold sinks in game, including gold-gem conversion, and then replaced by liquid gold from drops and reward chests.

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

Fiat currency is destroyed by the countries' treasuries, but the economy as a whole still retains that destroyed 'value.' This is because new currency is printed to replace the destroyed currency, depending on whether the treasury wants the value to grow or shrink.

Gems and gold act similarly. Gems are destroyed during the gem-gold conversion, and then replaced when players spend real money to buy more. Gold is destroyed through the various gold sinks in game, including gold-gem conversion, and then replaced by liquid gold from drops and reward chests.

That is incorrect. Gems are not destroyed via the gem-gold conversion (unless you are referring to the transaction fee, where it is unclear if the total value of gems gets added into the exchange or not. Or if the amount of gold gained is taxed 15% thus resulting in the full amount of gems entering the exchange but the amount of gold gained is reduced). The only removal of gems from the games economy is when they get spent on gem store items.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Gems and gold act similarly. Gems are destroyed during the gem-gold conversion, and then replaced when players spend real money to buy more. Gold is destroyed through the various gold sinks in game, including gold-gem conversion, and then replaced by liquid gold from drops and reward chests.

That is incorrect. Gems are not destroyed via the gem-gold conversion (unless you are referring to the transaction fee, where it is unclear if the total value of gems gets added into the exchange or not. Or if the amount of gold gained is taxed 15% thus resulting in the full amount of gems entering the exchange but the amount of gold gained is reduced). The only removal of gems from the games economy is when they get spent on gem store items.

I was assuming a transaction fee, yes. Apologies for not making that clear.