Please, no more new Outfits, we need armor sets - RIGHT????

I think it's a matter of taste, whereas I love Inquest, hence do I like the inquest exo suit outfit? Nah, totally missed opportunity for me whereas the normal dynamic exo suit is great. It should have been a stunning one matching the mk II skins and called "Inquest mark II power suit". What I can agree with, is about making outfit helmets actual skins, in most case you can't find an armor close enough to the headset of the outfit: eg eye visor of inquest outfit. Hat of timekeeper etc....The only sets where I feel like some efforts was put in them are the cultural ones.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:We just got two new full sets of armor during LS4.4. ANet tells us it takes around 8-9 months per set, with only modest savings by using similar skins (since the bulk of the work isn't the original design or the initial rendering; it's in getting all the details right).

According to ANet, even the devs would love to see more armor skins in the game; it's just not a realistic goal, as long as the skins are as rich & complex as the ones we've seen so far.

Why ppl always believe and repeat what Anet says 8-9 months one armor set. 3 armor sets = Needsame time to do an expansion? I highly doubt that.

What I feel is the real reason mix and match armors gives so much variety u are not so eager to buy more but outfits u buy u wear u get bored u need a new one

@DeWolfe.2174 said:At least they could have turned the town clothes into armor skins instead of wasting them by turning them into useless tonics.

They eventually did turn all the town clothes tonics into outfits. It's a bit convoluted - you need to buy the tonic from the trading post and then speak to one of the Black Lion conversion NPCs in LA to get them changed into outfits, but once you've done that they work exactly like any other outfit.

@Balsa.3951 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:We just got two new full sets of armor during LS4.4. ANet tells us it takes around 8-9 months per set, with only modest savings by using similar skins (since the bulk of the work isn't the original design or the initial rendering; it's in getting all the details right).

According to ANet, even the devs would love to see more armor skins in the game; it's just not a realistic goal, as long as the skins are as rich & complex as the ones we've seen so far.

Why ppl always believe and repeat what Anet says 8-9 months one armor set. 3 armor sets = Needsame time to do an expansion? I highly doubt that.

What I feel is the real reason mix and match armors gives so much variety u are not so eager to buy more but outfits u buy u wear u get bored u need a new one

Realistically what are our options? Believe the reasons given by the people who actually do the work, or assume they're lying to us because someone on the internet with absolutely no experience or knowledge of how it's done has declared that it should be easier.

In any other situation like that who would you trust? If a pilot said he has to cancel a flight because it's too dangerous to fly in the current weather conditions and a random passenger says they don't think it's that bad and the pilot clearly can't be bothered to make the trip would you believe the pilot or the passenger?

@Danikat.8537 said:

@DeWolfe.2174 said:At least they could have turned the town clothes into armor skins instead of wasting them by turning them into useless tonics.

They eventually did turn all the town clothes tonics into outfits. It's a bit convoluted - you need to buy the tonic from the trading post and then speak to one of the Black Lion conversion NPCs in LA to get them changed into outfits, but once you've done that they work exactly like any other outfit.

Realistically what are our options? Believe the reasons given by the people who actually do the work, or assume they're lying to us because someone on the internet with absolutely no experience or knowledge of how it's done has declared that it should be easier.

In any other situation like that who would you trust? If a pilot said he has to cancel a flight because it's too dangerous to fly in the current weather conditions and a random passenger says they don't think it's that bad and the pilot clearly can't be bothered to make the trip would you believe the pilot or the passenger?

Yes never believe everything u hear believe what u see. Ur belief is weak as my non belief

@Balsa.3951 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:Realistically what are our options? Believe the reasons given by the people who actually do the work, or assume they're lying to us because someone on the internet with absolutely no experience or knowledge of how it's done has declared that it should be easier.

Yes never believe everything u hear believe what u see."Trust but verify" is indeed a good policy. But what exactly is it you think people see that contradicts what ANet is saying?

Why ppl always believe and repeat what Anet says 8-9 months one armor set. 3 armor sets = Needsame time to do an expansion? I highly doubt thatWhy do you doubt that? Do you have experience with creating an MMO? With releasing massive amounts of code that cover some 50 maps, 1000s of loot tables, 1000s of animations? With designing armor that has to work for 10 different gender+race configurations, with mix & match with all existing armors, with all existing animations?

Ur belief is weak as my non beliefOn the contrary, one statement is based on professional expertise and one is based on personal belief.

@DeWolfe.2174 said:After 6 years I figured the dev's [sic] would have learned their taste is very nicheHow would they determine this, since (as mentioned many times), taste is individual. What evidence do you have that their taste is the only driving factor? That their taste is more niche than yours (or mine)?

I hate just about everything in the game when it comes to armor skins.I think you'll find that quite a lot of people only like a minority (sometimes a tiny fraction) of skins... and that the fraction that each likes can vary wildly.

At least they could have turned the town clothes into armor skins instead of wasting them by turning them into useless tonics.Every town clothes is now an outfit. If you own the tonic, you can convert it.

GW2 has a fervent player base that would love... LOVE... to customize their armor skins.Yes, as do all MMO communities. And as do the people who work at ANet. Given how much people want new armor sets, don't you think they know they could make bank if they could release them faster? Don't you think they have done just about anything they can so they could release enough to make them available in game and in the gem shop?

Give us the specifics of the models etc and we'd be submitting tons of new armors to Anet for free!ANet has explained that, on the whole, this would create more work for them, not less.

Why make full armor sets again when you can pick individual pieces, like the exalted shoulders, and put them in BLC boxes for people to gamble for? Or sell that single piece, like storm gauntlets, for around 65% of what a full armor set used to cost back in the day. And I don't know if it takes them 9 months to "birth" that armor set but I do know it's obviously easier to make an outfit instead. So if it makes more money for less effort the choice is pretty apparent. You don't have to like it (I don't) but it makes sense for them. Only thing you can do is vote with your wallet and hope others do the same.

Outfits are horrible in my opinion. Never liked them and only will like them if they break the pieces of the outfit up and give them to us as armor pieces. Only good thing that I have seen outfits for is allowing a WvW commander change their look when they think the other realms are marking them based on look.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:Realistically what are our options? Believe the reasons given by the people who actually do the work, or assume they're lying to us because someone on the internet with absolutely no experience or knowledge of how it's done has declared that it should be easier.

Yes never believe everything u hear believe what u see."Trust but verify" is indeed a good policy. But what exactly is it you think people see that contradicts what ANet is saying?

Why ppl always believe and repeat what Anet says 8-9 months one armor set. 3 armor sets = Needsame time to do an expansion? I highly doubt thatWhy do you doubt that? Do you have experience with creating an MMO? With releasing massive amounts of code that cover some 50 maps, 1000s of loot tables, 1000s of animations? With designing armor that has to work for 10 different gender+race configurations, with mix & match with all existing armors, with all existing animations?

Ur belief is weak as my non beliefOn the contrary, one statement is based on professional expertise and one is based on personal belief.

I already gave an example 1 expansion need 2 years to make for Anet 2 armor sets 18 months arcordiing to Anet an outfit need how long 1 months ?

The game started with how many armors at core ? U tell me they worked 10 + years on armors before release ?

I don’t trust “professional”statements I trust what I see

@Balsa.3951 said:

I already gave an example 1 expansion need 2 years to make for Anet 2 armor sets 18 months arcordiing to Anet an outfit need how long 1 months ?

The game started with how many armors at core ? U tell me they worked 10 + years on armors before release ?

When a company makes a game like this they hire as many people as they need to finish the game in the time allotted. They take on debt and hope to recoup at launch. That’s what ANet did also. They hired a large number of temporary contract workers whose job ended when the game finished. They didn’t make a complete MMO with 200 or so permanent devs.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

When a company makes a game like this they hire as many people as they need to finish the game in the time allotted. They take on debt and hope to recoup at launch. That’s what ANet did also. They hired a large number of temporary contract workers whose job ended when the game finished. They didn’t make a complete MMO with 200 or so permanent devs.

Now show me the number if Anet has less people now than at launch even with the layoffs

Plus how many people are hired for outfits ? Vs how many are hired for armor design. Why u trying so hard all ur arguments like yeah they need 9 months because they only have one guy do all the armor so hire more !

Drop the outfit department pulll them over to armor

The real reason they don’t do armor is mix and match what makes it harder to sell armor on a periodic base. Outfits u wear u get bored u buy a new one. It’s just they found out that this format make people buy more.

Same reason items in the gemshop are only limited time available

Edit yes they also probably outsource things likes outfits and armor I doubt those armor design companies have less people now

@Balsa.3951 said:

Now show me the number if Anet has less people now than at launch even with the layoffs

Plus how many people are hired for outfits ? Vs how many are hired for armor design. Why u trying so hard all ur arguments like yeah they need 9 months because they only have one guy do all the armor so hire more !

The real reason they don’t do armor is mix and match what makes it harder to sell armor on a periodic base. Outfits u wear u get bored u buy a new one. It’s just they found out that this format make people buy more.

Edit yes they also probably outsource things likes outfits and armor I doubt those armor design companies have less people now

Edit again and even with outsourcing armor design for core game where are the 9 months come from?

Stop believing that marketing bullshit

@Balsa.3951 said:

Edit again and even with outsourcing armor design for core game where are the 9 months come from?

When people say 9 months it comes from this quote.

Mike-OBrien-ArenaNetArmor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it's like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That's for a normal armor set -- legendary is much longer.) It's not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.

Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it's like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That's for a normal armor set -- legendary is much longer.) It's not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.

This guy wants ur money so he say whatever he needs to say. It’s the same guy who pulled ppl from gw2 to work on mobile games which are financed by gw2 money.

Explain me that than we got just now 3 more armor sets with jahai bluff 27 months work ?

Do u really believe that this is realistic?

Even better count all pof armors together I’m sure the number is 10 years plus with wvw and pvp armor

@Balsa.3951 said:

Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it's like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That's for a normal armor set -- legendary is much longer.) It's not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.

This guy wants ur money so he say whatever he needs to say. It’s the same guy who pulled ppl from gw2 to work on mobile games which are financed by gw2 money.

Explain me that than we got just now 3 more armor sets with jahai bluff 27 months work ?

Did they ever say when the armor sets were started are or you assuming a start time?

Did they ever say when the armor sets were started are or you assuming a start time?

So they started those armors when core game came out ? Do the math it’s just not working what Anet says

@Balsa.3951 said:

So they started those armors when core game came out ? Do the math it’s just not working what Anet says

He did say 9 months for a set of heavy, medium and light and presumably that was 9 months for X number of people. He didn’t say there was a fixed number of people making armor at all times. If they hired more people (and they did do hiring, remember) then they could have as many as they needed to make them. Also, presumably, increased number of people working on the armors would decrease the time it takes with more people to do the work.

@Balsa.3951 said:It’s the same guy who pulled ppl from gw2 to work on mobile games which are financed by gw2 money.Since you only believe what you see, you shouldn't believe that. We have no evidence at all as to what people were working on, whether they were pulled from GW2 or loaned to GW2, and we know that the financing is from NCSOFT.

This guy wants ur money so he say whatever he needs to say.Sure, he's in business to make money. But ......if you think he's lying about something like that, then there's no value in posting here on the forums about whether ANet should or shouldn't invest in armor instead of outfits. There are no facts available to us that we could verify about effort or cost, about income or number of buyers.

Plus, O'Brien isn't the only person who has referenced 9 months per set; he was just one of the more recent devs to do so.

@Balsa.3951 said:Drop the outfit department pulll them over to armor

Nope. I like outfits.

@Balsa.3951 said:The real reason they don’t do armor is mix and match what makes it harder to sell armor on a periodic base. Outfits u wear u get bored u buy a new one. It’s just they found out that this format make people buy more.

The real reason is that players complained about selling armors in the gemstore and it was discussed that armor is better to earn in-game as rewards. But when you have a business model of making players pay for some cosmetics and earn some in-game, you don't merely stop selling and only offer them for free, you replace them with something else. And that's how outfits manifested.

And I find it funny you assume that getting bored of a look is somehow inherently limited to outfits or that is their only purpose. I had a theme of a scholarly prophet type Firebrand who wears cloth and outfits are the only decent way to do that.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@DeWolfe.2174 said:At least they could have turned the town clothes into armor skins instead of wasting them by turning them into useless tonics.Every town clothes is now an outfit. If you own the tonic, you can convert it.

So you're advocating for a worthless outfit, of a worthless tonic, in a thread about no more outfits??? Everyone one of the town clothes tonics were a horrible mashups. Take the Dragon Emblem T-shirt tonic as an example. Combining a t-shirt and shorts together is a good combo, great! But, then the dev's utterly ruined it with the confounding choice of knee high and fur boots, what??????? Meanwhile, they have the Sandals from the cooks outfit which works on every armor weight and race. That would have been far more befitting for someone who's wearing a T-Shirt and Shorts. This is why we need armor skins, so we can mix and match ourselves!!! That's why we asked for the ability to mix and match to begin with.

@Leo G.4501 said:

The real reason is that players complained about selling armors in the gemstore and it was discussed that armor is better to earn in-game as rewards. But when you have a business model of making players pay for some cosmetics and earn some in-game, you don't merely stop selling and only offer them for free, you replace them with something else. And that's how outfits manifested.

This is the reason I've read many times ever since I started playing some 4 years ago. That's quite some time. I wonder if people would still mind cash shop armor sets that much. I'd certainly welcome more armors in gem store. Not necessarily full sets, but what about individual chest pieces and pants too? Or how about full sets coming piece after piece? And there could be some re-uses of already existing sets - worn version, plainer version, various lengths of sleeves or something like that. There sure are some armors I'd like far more with a few tweaks here and there.

Another thing that came to my head when I couldn't sleep (just to clarify why I write such a ridiculous idea) - would it be possible (and not too costly) to give us an armor editor of some kind so that players could try to create armors and see/experience for themselves at least part of the process? They could them submit their creations to Anet and some of them could eventually make it to the game...

@DeWolfe.2174 said:

@DeWolfe.2174 said:At least they could have turned the town clothes into armor skins instead of wasting them by turning them into useless tonics.Every town clothes is now an outfit. If you own the tonic, you can convert it.

So you're advocating for a worthless outfit, of a worthless tonic, in a thread about no more outfits???I'm not "advocating." I'm pointing out that they turned town clothes into tonics and the tonics into outfits. I'm not sure how you can confuse pointing out an inaccuracy with advocacy.

Everyone one of the town clothes tonics were a horrible mashups.You didn't like them, fine. Some people did. And they weren't significantly different from the original town clothes, which, as you remember, didn't offer much in the way of mixing.

This is why we need armor skins, so we can mix and match ourselves!!!Good thing that ANet has released more armor skins, not just more outfits.

That's why we asked for the ability to mix and match to begin with.Given how many people dislike any particular skin, given how long they take to produce, it's still ultimately useful
to the community
to have both outfits and armors, even though many people don't like outfits.

@"anninke.7469" said:Not necessarily full sets, but what about individual chest pieces and pants too? Or how about full sets coming piece after piece?Full sets coming in piece by piece is not any cheaper than full sets, and it might even be more expensive.

And there could be some re-uses of already existing sets - worn version, plainer version, various lengths of sleeves or something like that. There sure are some armors I'd like far more with a few tweaks here and there.It turns out those don't necessarily save a lot. Otherwise we'd have more than just a few colors of Wings for backs and gliders. There's apparently still a lot of animation etc.

would it be possible (and not too costly) to give us an armor editor of some kind so that players could try to create armors and see/experience for themselves at least part of the process? They could them submit their creations to Anet and some of them could eventually make it to the game...They've mentioned more than once that this apparently wouldn't save them any time or effort (it could even be more costly). Doing all the work themselves means they don't have to wonder if people missed any of the "best practice" steps important to skins in this game.

Design contests seem to be alright. And we've seen them create BL Weapon sets based on player's written description, so I'd encourage you to do something like that: use words to explain the sort of thing you'd like to see.