Vote on and suggest new PvP leaderboard titles — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Vote on and suggest new PvP leaderboard titles

edited March 20, 2019 in PVP

Hi everyone!

As you may know, we have been considering making new PvP leaderboard titles for some time. At this point, we would like to involve the community in that decision by letting you vote on a few proposals! We came up with three different title schemes that you can see below. Additionally, I’ve listed for each title scheme some pros and cons from our point of view. You are also free to suggest new schemes in this discussion.

Please note that:
1) These proposals aren’t a guarantee. Things can still change, especially if someone suggests a scheme that we like significantly more.
2) Any additional title suggestions should have a unifying theme.
3) The vote results will be one of the consideration we take into account when deciding what new title scheme we will use.

Thank you for your help!

Old - Current Titles
Pros – No work required since it’s already in.
Cons – After Legendary Demigod, each title sounds less differentiated. They don’t illustrate how well you placed, as they are pretty close in meaning. Difficult to say how Ruthless, Relentless, and Merciless Legend compare.

1st: God of PvP
2nd: Legendary Demigod
3rd: Immortal Legend
4th-10th: Unyielding Legend
11th – 25th: Relentless Legend
26th-100th: Ruthless Legend
101st – 250th: Merciless Legend

New – Nobility Theme
Pros – Very easily recognizable ranking between the various titles. Most PvP players will be instantly familiar with this terminology. Adding PvP makes it clear that it’s a reward earned in PvP.
Cons – Not very unique.
1st: God/Godess of PvP
2nd: Legendary Demigod/Demigoddess of PvP
3rd: King/Queen of PvP
4th-10th: Prince/Princess of PvP
11th – 25th: Duke/Duchess of PvP
26th-100th: Baron/Baroness of PvP
101st – 250th: Knight/Dame of PvP

New – Number theme
Pros – Ranking is very straightforward.
Cons – Not exciting.
2nd: Legendary Demigod of PvP
3rd: Immortal Legend of PvP
4th-10th: Top 10 of PvP
11th – 25th: Top 25 of PvP
26th-100th: Top 100 of PvP
101st – 250th: Top 250 of PvP

New – Military Theme
Pros – Clear ranking.
Cons – Military ranks may be more suitable to WvW than PvP.
1st: General
2nd: Lieutenant General
3rd: Colonel
4th-10th: Major
11th – 25th: Captain
26th-100th: First Lieutenant
101st – 250th: Second Lieutenant

Ben Phongluangtham
Game Designer
Reddit: ANET_BenP
Twitch: AnetBenP

Vote on and suggest new PvP leaderboard titles 495 votes

Old - Current Titles
20% 100 votes
New – Nobility Theme
60% 298 votes
New – Number theme
8% 41 votes
New – Military Theme
11% 56 votes
Tagged:
<13

Comments

• edited March 20, 2019

One additional note. We'll keep the poll up for about a week before closing it! Also, whatever we decide will not be in place for next season.

Ben Phongluangtham
    Game Designer

• edited March 20, 2019

Another additional note. If you've earned a title previously, it won't change into a new title. You'll keep the old one.

Ben Phongluangtham
    Game Designer

• NeoN.2193NeoN.2193 Member
    edited March 20, 2019

Nobility ones are POG

• Out of the ones suggested I think the numbers is the best option. That said I would recommend some changes to second and third so the list would look like so:

2nd: Demigod of PvP -- (truncated and makes it clearer its second place)
    3rd: Legend of PvP -- (truncated again, and the immortal is not needed if other titles lack their descriptor)

Alternatively, I would suggest a similar theme as the top three titles, but denoting mastery as opposed to Military rank or Nobility. For instance,

2nd: Demigod of PvP
    3rd: Legend of PvP
    4th-10th: Champion of PvP
    11th – 25th: Master of PvP
    26th-100th: Veteran of PvP
    101st – 250th: ((no clue))

• Dondarrion.2748Dondarrion.2748 Member ✭✭✭

There is already a Legend of the Mists from HoM for gw1 players, so don't refuse that in pvp please.

Vàsher (Grd), Mistress Glaive (War), Hasla the Huntress (Rng), Seaguard Hala (Mes)
    Northerner @ Dragon Season (DS) | Winter's Talon Reborn (WT) | The Seaguard (SG)
    Seafarer's Rest (SFR) since launch!

• 1st.Legend of PvP
    2nd.Champion of PvP

• Why not introduce the ranks you've managed to get to in the WvW ranking system as a title to unlock ?

• Vancho.8750Vancho.8750 Member ✭✭✭

I don't believe that the titles are the problem but the visibility of them. All titles use the same text, if a special border, fonts and colors are added for the rare titles it would improve how noticeable they are, they should be symbol like legendary weapon and the pvp badge. As they are now God of PvP and Chicken Chaser have the same value as nobody would bother to read it. For the poll the Nobility Theme seems to be the best option.

• Meteor.3720Meteor.3720 Member ✭✭✭

@fayss.9614 said:
    3rd: Legendary Gladiator
    4th-10th: Balthazar's Gladiator
    11th-25th: Emperor's Gladiator
    26th-100th: King's Gladiator
    101st-250th: Vanquishing Gladiator

RIP gw1

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

Voted for the nobility theme because I loved the high fantasy feeling. I’d love to be a knight, or all the way up to a king. Not that I’m good enough at PvP to ever earn any of these titles...

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• zoopop.5630zoopop.5630 Member ✭✭✭✭

+1

• Cronos.6532Cronos.6532 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065
    Will the title achievements be made into hidden achievements, but perhaps made more prominent elsewhere, like in PvP panel? It's a little weird for God of PvP and the other achievements to remain unhidden 0 AP achievements visible to everyone.

signature

• zoopop.5630zoopop.5630 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:
    Hi everyone!

As you may know, we have been considering making new PvP leaderboard titles for some time. At this point, we would like to involve the community in that decision by letting you vote on a few proposals! We came up with three different title schemes that you can see below. Additionally, I’ve listed for each title scheme some pros and cons from our point of view. You are also free to suggest new schemes in this discussion.

Please note that:
    1) These proposals aren’t a guarantee. Things can still change, especially if someone suggests a scheme that we like significantly more.
    2) Any additional title suggestions should have a unifying theme.
    3) The vote results will be one of the consideration we take into account when deciding what new title scheme we will use.

Thank you for your help!

Old - Current Titles
    Cons – After Legendary Demigod, each title sounds less differentiated. They don’t illustrate how well you placed, as they are pretty close in meaning. Difficult to say how Ruthless, Relentless, and Merciless Legend compare.

New – Nobility Theme
    Pros – Very easily recognizable ranking between the various titles. Most PvP players will be instantly familiar with this terminology. Adding PvP makes it clear that it’s a reward earned in PvP.
    Cons – Not very unique.

New – Number theme
    Pros – Ranking is very straightforward.
    Cons – Not exciting.
    2nd: Legendary Demigod of PvP
    3rd: Immortal Legend of PvP

New – Military Theme
    Pros – Clear ranking.
    Cons – Military ranks may be more suitable to WvW than PvP.
    1st: General
    2nd: Lieutenant General
    3rd: Colonel
    4th-10th: Major
    11th – 25th: Captain
    26th-100th: First Lieutenant
    101st – 250th: Second Lieutenant

Voted however these titles all sound really really lame imo compared to what we have now. I think We should be a more creative then what we were given for selection.

Example:

Sounds a lot better then what we have at the moment on your list. I think we should have some sort of Contest and select what the player base believes would be the best especially if we aren't going to be getting them next season so we should just take our time and do justice to the community.

• You can just use the super OLD pvp titles which would require less work
    1st-5th. Legend of the Arena
    Top 10- Master of the Arena
    Top 25- Veteran of the Arena
    Top 100- Challenger of the Arena
    Top 250- (?)

• I like the Nobility theme for sPvP, but the Military theme would be cool for some future WvW thing!

• @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:
    "of the Arena" might be a good substitute.

That sounds reasonably suitable to me.

• Kai.9264Kai.9264 Member
    edited March 20, 2019

@Fenom.9457 said:
    Voted for the nobility theme because I loved the high fantasy feeling. I’d love to be a knight, or all the way up to a king. Not that I’m good enough at PvP to ever earn any of these titles...

how is a knight, prince and a king high fantasy to you? lol

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭

@witcher.3197 said:
    This is probably a minor thing but it's been bugging me for a while - please don't use the gamemode's name in titles (PvP/PvE/WvW). It's just very uninspired and even immersion breaking for an MMO - I'm no roleplayer but still, let's try to conjure up something from the lore if possible. Top 100 of PvP is even worse in that regard.

For example God of the Mists or something similar for rank 1 instead of God of PvP.

It does sound weird, and I agree to some extent. But we also commonly have the complaint that people want others to know what the accomplishment was and where it came from. Using of the Mists could work instead. However, in GW2 lore, the Mists also includes WvW and Fractals, so that could be pretty confusing as well.

Makes sense, I know it's hard to find something that represents the player's position without 4th wall breaking. Using a known hierarchy like you've mentioned in your first post does seem like a good idea, but going down to baron/duchess - those may not be something everyone's familiar with IMO. Emperor's Gladiator, Balthazar's Gladiator etc. could be more distinguishable in that regard.

God of the Arena, Demigod of the Arena also sound great!

• @Lonami.2987 said:
    I voted for the nobility theme, but I would remove the "PvP" part and replace it with "the Arena":

• 1st: God/Goddess of the Arena
    • 2nd: Demigod/Demigoddess of the Arena
    • 3rd: King/Queen of the Arena
    • 4th-10th: Prince/Princess of the Arena
    • 11th–25th: Duke/Duchess of the Arena
    • 26th-100th: Baron/Baroness of the Arena
    • 101st–250th: Knight/Dame of the Arena

Also, another suggestion:

• 1st: First of the Arena
    • 2nd: Second of the Arena
    • 3rd: Third of the Arena
    • 4th-10th: Legend of the Arena
    • 11th–25th: Hero of the Arena
    • 26th-100th: Champion of the Arena
    • 101st–250th: Veteran of the Arena

I really like this idea, its even a throwback to the old "of the Arena" titles from launch. I would definitely vote for this!
    However your second suggestion wouldnt work since "Legend of the Arena" and "Veteran of the Arena" are already in the game.

• Vallun.2071Vallun.2071 Member ✭✭✭

@dolofanboy.8140 did you also vote with all of your alt accounts tpotHehe

• Zalani.9827Zalani.9827 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

I really like the idea of using “of the mists” as a title scheme. Nobility theme would be interesting though.
    Also because Knight of the Mists sounds cool.

Although as a con “of the mists” does kind of sound more like a WvW title than spvp.

Jadis Narnia, Sylvari Ranger of [VoS]

Praise Joko!

• Lunia.2736Lunia.2736 Member ✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

@witcher.3197 said:
    This is probably a minor thing but it's been bugging me for a while - please don't use the gamemode's name in titles (PvP/PvE/WvW). It's just very uninspired and even immersion breaking for an MMO - I'm no roleplayer but still, let's try to conjure up something from the lore if possible. Top 100 of PvP is even worse in that regard.

For example God of the Mists or something similar for rank 1 instead of God of PvP.

It does sound weird, and I agree to some extent. But we also commonly have the complaint that people want others to know what the accomplishment was and where it came from. Using of the Mists could work instead. However, in GW2 lore, the Mists also includes WvW and Fractals, so that could be pretty confusing as well.

Making use of a prefix instead of a suffix to get rid of the lengthy "of the Arena" could be a good idea.
    Mix it with "Nobility" that most people are voting for in the process and you get something like this. Best of both worlds?

1st: Arena God/Goddess
    2nd: Arena Demigod/Demigoddess
    3rd: Arena King/Queen
    4th-10th: Arena Prince/Princess
    11th – 25th: Arena Duke/Duchess
    26th-100th: Arena Baron/Baroness
    101st – 250th: Arena Knight/Dame

• Arkantos.7460Arkantos.7460 Member ✭✭✭

i wish you would revert to the old pvp rank points for phoenix etc because IT WAS SOMETHING FOR LONG TIME GOALS and after your downgrading of ranks ... simply everyone who has little bit played are able to get phoenix ....

• Suggestions to go along with Rank 1 - Unban one account of their choosing or give them a legendary box. No one actually cares about the title.

• Mbelch.9028Mbelch.9028 Member ✭✭✭

@romano.8170 said:
    1st: God/goddess of Match Manipulation
    2nd to 10th: King/Queen of Match Manipulation
    11th to 25th: Prince/Princess of Match Manipulation
    26th to 50th: Baron/Baroness of Sub 70 iq
    51st to 100st: Knight of sub 70 iq
    101st to 250th: Harvard Graduate

Guys. Estak. Estak. Empower.... Wait wrong game mode. I still support this. Lol

• Odik.4587Odik.4587 Member ✭✭✭✭

Why this poll looks like "new title for wintraders" ... ? Thats main reason to NEVER play RANKED because YOU entirely ignore the problem of wintrading. Knowing that top1 is being caught on wintrading all the time ... I doubt that was fair this time...

• Old - Current Titles

• Hello all,
    I really liked some of the suggested ones with God of the mists .... but i would still prefer a nostalgic themed title from gw1 :D, like the Gladiator title. That title would fit well with the Eternal Coliseum map. I don't mind which ones from the 12 titles you will use but here's my suggestion:

1: Legendary Gladiator
    2: Balthazar's Gladiator
    3: King's Gladiator
    4-10: Vanquishing Gladiator
    11-25: Terrifying Gladiator
    26-100: Deadly Gladiator
    101-250: Fierce Gladiator or Mighty Gladiator (I like them both)

Also i think in gw2 you get titles way to easy, like very easy story achievement her take a title, that's why they have no meaning. In gw1 it felt more like an achievement when you finally got a title and were pinged in the chat in all cities.

• Silvey.6184Silvey.6184 Member
    edited March 20, 2019

Just give every player in the Top 250 a new nameplate badge with his/her individual rank (in numbers), which gets updatetd after every season. Otherwise I prefer the number theme.

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

Military doesn't work because having armies is more of a WvW thing, and they already have that kind of ranking.
    By the way, WvW ranks could also use some tweaking to be more intuitive and easier to read. As I've just mentioned here.

Most people seem to like royalty themes, but that's kind of a Nightmare court thing and nobility titles do not feel like something one earns fighting in arenas, but with quests and military campaigns. So that's out of the question. too

I'd go with a gladiatorial theme, but although there was tons of different types of gladiators, they mostly had ranks for the first and the second "Primus palus" (first sword) and "secondus palus" (second sword). I like "Fist Sword" and "Second Sword" but it's kind of limited, since not every uses swords.

In any case, I think it would be best to keep a common word between the tittles, so they are clearly seen as a category. Something like:

• God of the Arena
    • Arena Demigod
    • Arena Immortal
    • Arena Legend
    • Arena Spirit
    • Arena Ascendant
    • Arena Champion

• Legendary God
    • Legendary Demigod
    • Legendary Immortal
    • Legendary Spirit
    • Legendary Ascendant
    • Legendary Hero
    • Legendary Gladiator
  • Have one of the Titles be "Lord of Salt", its a pretty harmless title that would make some players chuckle

• "... of PvP" sounds really dumb

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

New titles are largely pointless if nothing is being done about people orchestrating the buying and selling of the top positions or match manipulating to one of the top spots without repercussions.

So get rid of titles altogether and this is why we can't have nice things.

That or Brendan.1309 suggestion.

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

If I am being honest, I dislike all of these suggestions and find them to be lacking creativity.

• @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:
    One additional note. We'll keep the poll up for about a week before closing it! Also, whatever we decide will not be in place for next season.

I suggest to combine Nobility Theme (or similar) and Number theme by this way:

Nobility Theme - will be directly visible in nameplates above the head, like "Prince of PvP (legendary mark)",
    if someone will select a player and move mouse pointer to this on top of screen to the badge he will see his numbering rank pop up with explanation what Prince of PvP means in reality (Top 10 of PvP),
    like today for "this pvp league badge is available with ...."

this method will help people to understand real rank meaning and remember it over the time.

pure Nobility Theme (or similar) without visual explanation will be not be understandable for the most of people

you can even leave existing OLD scheme visible but add Number theme pop-up with explanation (may be it's easiest thing to do)

• Vagrant.7206Vagrant.7206 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019

The military ones are too similar to WvW.

Maybe a llama nobility theme?

• 1st: Llama God/Godess
    • 2nd: Llama Demigod/Demigoddess
    • 3rd: Llama King/Queen
    • 4th-10th: Llama Prince/Princess
    • 11th – 25th: Llama Duke/Duchess
    • 26th-100th: Llama Baron/Baroness
    • 101st – 250th: Llama Knight/Dame

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice!

• Mechanix.9315Mechanix.9315 Member ✭✭✭

@Lunia.2736 said:

@witcher.3197 said:

Making use of a prefix instead of a suffix to get rid of the lengthy "of the Arena" could be a good idea.
    Mix it with "Nobility" that most people are voting for in the process and you get something like this. Best of both worlds?

1st: Arena God/Goddess
    2nd: Arena Demigod/Demigoddess
    3rd: Arena King/Queen
    4th-10th: Arena Prince/Princess
    11th – 25th: Arena Duke/Duchess
    26th-100th: Arena Baron/Baroness
    101st – 250th: Arena Knight/Dame

I like this one

• ChSch.1596ChSch.1596 Member ✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

I like this suggestion from Lonami.2987.

@Lonami.2987 said:

• 1st: First of the Arena
    • 2nd: Second of the Arena
    • 3rd: Third of the Arena
    • 4th-10th: Legend of the Arena
    • 11th–25th: Hero of the Arena
    • 26th-100th: Champion of the Arena
    • 101st–250th: Veteran of the Arena
  • SoulSin.5682SoulSin.5682 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

Taking that ranked is always Conquest, we can also use this as subtitle:

• God of Conquest
    • Demigod of Conquest
    • King of Conquest

etc...

All that said, I do have a Personal lov for "God of PvP". Its quick and direct as a title.
    Who on PvP actually cares if a game mode as title looks awkward?

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

I LOVE the nobility theme a lot. Within the realm of my own skill capabilities, Baron or Knight are both feasible and I think both sound very cool. I do think Baron of PvP doesn't quite ring as well. I certainly don't want to see something like Legendary Baron or Legendary Knight. And While Baron of PvP is really cool, I think "Of PvP" could be finessed into something a bit better.

The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

<13
This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.