SAB HYPE TRAIN !!! - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

SAB HYPE TRAIN !!!

Comments

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019

That rare picture found on deviantart (Alemja) is proving that at least rytlock is enjoying SAB:

I also love the Anet trailer for SAB and how it's done, very funny and amazing:

You can also find a web browser mini game called Rytlock critter rampage.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

• Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

I have no idea what sab is, as a newer player im sure i will be totally lost.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019

@Tiviana.2650 said:

All you need to know is that it has "awesome graphics"

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:

Cool, im more concerned with figuring out what to do. A lot of these events leave new players completely lost we wind up not getting anything done because we dont have a clue

edited March 18, 2019

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:

Cool, im more concerned with figuring out what to do. A lot of these events leave new players completely lost we wind up not getting anything done because we dont have a clue

You go to Rata Sum, enter the portal to the Super Adventure Box hub (top level where the big group of players will be massing around). You will have access to to 2 worlds there. Enter World 1 and you are what boils down to a retro style, 3D platformer. You run, you jump, you collect baubles (currency) and weapons. You'll love or hate it. ANything else you will work out as you progress.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

I feel I should point out that they can continue the STORY of SAB without ever continuing the GAME of SAB.

At one point there was a bit extra you could access, where you got some very strong hints that there's more going on there than you and Moto know. It's not unreasonable that they could start following that storyline to add in some content, even if they can't make an actual World 3.

Now... will they? Meh... maybe?

Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

• Gopaka.7839Gopaka.7839 Member ✭✭✭

@hugo.4705 said:
    That's rare picture found on deviantart (Alemja) is proving that at least rytlock is enjoying SAB:

Also this gem !

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/rampage/index.html

• I love SAB. Wish they would finish it but I know it'll never happen at this point. That's why I left the final world of Trib mode for this year. Going to do that and get those weapon skins.

• It would be cool if Arenanet allowed some fans to use it and create more/it's own game ala some of the classic games that started out as mods.

• JTGuevara.9018JTGuevara.9018 Member ✭✭✭

--yaawwwnn-- I beat it once....never played it again. For the new players, it was actually developed as being part of a joke(hence April Fool's) but it gained a more substantial following then what was thought. I mean it's not even good 8-bit, it looks so cheesy. Too blocky! Mario Bros, Zelda and the like at least had CURVES in their 8-bit objects. Plus, some of the platforming stuff is gimmicky as you-know-what. Some mechanics just felt like they were shoved in there.

Still, I acknowledge that people love it. I (as always) will skip it once again.

edited March 19, 2019

@Gopaka.7839 said:

@hugo.4705 said:
    That's rare picture found on deviantart (Alemja) is proving that at least rytlock is enjoying SAB:

Also this gem !

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/rampage/index.html

Yup rytlock critter rampage is awesome too. With all the referances to him I think they could just add him in front of the box in Rata Sun with its special glasses. At least a third boom box with rytlock critter rampage theme from Dusk.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

• Dondarrion.2748Dondarrion.2748 Member ✭✭✭

Woop woop, roll on April and SAB! :D

Vàsher (Grd), Bondsmith Yharnam (Eng), Mistress Glaive (War), Hasla the Huntress (Rng), Seaguard Hala (Mes)
    Northerner @ Dragon Season (DS) | Winter's Talon Reborn (WT) | The Seaguard (SG)
    Seafarer's Rest (SFR) since launch!

Where is the SAB announcement btw ? Is there going to be a new black lion chest with the upcoming festival? Would love to know in advance for future preparations.

• Balsa.3951Balsa.3951 Member ✭✭✭

@Gopaka.7839 said:

@Tyncale.1629 said:
    I think there should be an even easier kiddy level so that I can finally complete it. :)

Wasn't there an infantile mode with clouds everywhere and rainbow bridges?

@MetalGirl.2370 said:
    Oh yeah, I'm so hyped to repeat the same content for I don't know what year in a row. What is the hype for if there are no new worlds.

So what you are saying is that you want a new world from the festival or you wont play it ?

He says he doesn’t feel hyped by recycled content that’s fair enough

• Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭

@Gopaka.7839 said:
    Where is the SAB announcement btw ? Is there going to be a new black lion chest with the upcoming festival? Would love to know in advance for future preparations.

Every festival got an updated BLC, so this one will most likely also get one.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:

Super Adventure Box is one of a kind. A true game within the game. People either love it or don't care for it at all, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground ;) .

The origin (as somebody already mentioned) was April Fool's Day 2013, when those weird pixel chests appeared all over Tyria and pixelated mobs would burst out of them if you tried to open it. At the same time, the box itself (a kind of cube that you might've seen standing in Rata Sum, near the portal to Lion's Arch) was opened by it's creator, Moto, who built the world inside as a training ground for young Asura.

SAB was expanded with its 2nd release (September 2013) and converted to a yearly festival later on (2016). It follows a lot of the rules of old games in the late 80s and early 90s, like unlocking zone access and skills as you play (via currency you collect inside the box). If you want to describe it in one sentence, it's a gigantic jumping puzzle. Check out the SAB wiki page for technical details, or Youtube for some visual impressions.

edited March 21, 2019

@Rasimir.6239 said:
    At the same time, the box itself (a kind of cube that you might've seen standing in Rata Sum, near the portal to Lion's Arch) was opened by it's creator, Moto, who built the world inside as a training ground for young Asura.

Did someone said Moto ?!

• zityz.6089zityz.6089 Member ✭✭

would be nice if they had updated it. Only new thing I can see are Gem store SAB themed mount skins.

@zityz.6089 said:
    would be nice if they had updated it. Only new thing I can see are Gem store SAB themed mount skins.

Somebody suggested an SAB-themed chair earlier in the thread, and ever since I read that suggestion I've been hoping that ANet had the same idea. Preferably as a new buy option for bauble bubbles, although I'd probably get it from the gemstore, too ;) .

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭

But we didn't get any announcement so far, are you sure it'll be released in March?

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

@Zaraki.5784 said:
    But we didn't get any announcement so far, are you sure it'll be released in March?

Super Adventure Festival 2016
    March 31, 2016 - April 19, 2016

Super Adventure Festival 2017
    March 30, 2017 - April 20, 2017

Super Adventure Festival 2018
    March 29, 2018 - April 19, 2018

I'm positive.

• Ok I Did It.2854Ok I Did It.2854 Member ✭✭✭

Now i just need to know how to bind dodge+jump together so that some of them ridiculous jumps in trib mode can be done, as im hopeless at trying to time jump and dodge together, as it doesnt always register,

Seriously Anet made Dodge Jump a command we can set via the options menu.

edited March 21, 2019

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:

You go to Rata Sum, enter the portal to the Super Adventure Box hub (top level where the big group of players will be massing around). You will have access to to 2 worlds there. ~snip

Just want to precise,if it hasn't been the case before, that the get hub contains 4 world entrances, but only 2 are interact-able since w3 and 4 aren't made, a shame. I hope they bring back world 3-1 with the moto lab in rata sum.(was only available during back to school edition. Btw don't remember those pixel chests around tyria..)

• Hard to be Hyped when Anet fired the developer who created this beautiful 8-bit world on his own time and with a great deal of love. I'll do dailies this year (maybe) and that's about it.

• @Arekai.5698 said:
    Will it finally have some new levels after all these years?

It will never have new levels because Anet fired the creator.

@Rabbi Rick.3194 said:
    Hard to be Hyped when Anet fired the developer who created this beautiful 8-bit world on his own time and with a great deal of love. I'll do dailies this year (maybe) and that's about it.

To be fair, he took voluntary redundancy. That is very different as I know from experience even the though the result is sadly the same

The trailer is out! 6 more days!!! And is that the SAB version of Gourdon in the trailer or a new kind of SAB mob?

edited March 22, 2019

@Rasimir.6239 said:
    The trailer is out! 6 more days!!! And is that the SAB version of Gourdon in the trailer or a new kind of SAB mob?

Thx! Btw it's here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/super-adventure-festival-returns-next-week/ gw2 website

edited March 22, 2019

HYPE HYPE HYPE !!!!

• Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

It is good content but its old content not as excited as I used to be. Not sure if I will be participating this year after last years grind.

There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you

• Kal Spiro.9745Kal Spiro.9745 Member ✭✭✭

Why is it coming out on Thursday instead of Tuesday? I'm going to be at PAX and won't be able to play until Monday

Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

• @Randulf.7614 said:

@Rabbi Rick.3194 said:
    Hard to be Hyped when Anet fired the developer who created this beautiful 8-bit world on his own time and with a great deal of love. I'll do dailies this year (maybe) and that's about it.

To be fair, he took voluntary redundancy. That is very different as I know from experience even the though the result is sadly the same

I've neither heard nor seen anything reliable confirming that it was "voluntary," only speculation of internet bloggers. And as far as I know, that was not the case.

edited March 23, 2019

@Rabbi Rick.3194 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Rabbi Rick.3194 said:

I've neither heard nor seen anything reliable confirming that it was "voluntary," only speculation of internet bloggers. And as far as I know, that was not the case.

I believe he stated it himself.

If I am wrong, so be it. Either way it was a huge loss

• Crise.9401Crise.9401 Member ✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Rabbi Rick.3194 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Rabbi Rick.3194 said:

I believe he stated it himself

I also believe that it should be added that while SAB was indeed Josh's brainchild, and I am grateful for him having the passion and the confidence to bring it to his boss as an actual release way back when. SAB was always a team effort, a small team, but still a team. He also didn't create it entirely on his own time, him and the couple of other people involved created a prototype on their own time IIRC, but after the original April fools release was internally greenlit it was on company time.

As such, I am curious if some of the OG SAB "crowd" still works at ArenaNet? Rather than worry about something that has already happened. I don't expect to get any new worlds, the blog written by Josh when it came back as a festival pretty much dashed my dreams in that regard and I am a realist at heart, but it would be nice to know that some people responsible for creating this unique piece of MMO content still work at ArenaNet.

@Crise.9401 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Rabbi Rick.3194 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Rabbi Rick.3194 said:

I believe he stated it himself

I also believe that it should be added that while SAB was indeed Josh's brainchild, and I am grateful for him having the passion and the confidence to bring it to his boss as an actual release way back when. SAB was always a team effort, a small team, but still a team. He also didn't create it entirely on his own time, him and the couple of other people involved created a prototype on their own time IIRC, but after the original April fools release was internally greenlit it was on company time.

As such, I am curious if some of the OG SAB "crowd" still works at ArenaNet? Rather than worry about something that has already happened. I don't expect to get any new worlds, the blog written by Josh when it came back as a festival pretty much dashed my dreams in that regard and I am a realist at heart, but it would be nice to know that some people responsible for creating this unique piece of MMO content still work at ArenaNet.

Agreed, he had a small team which then carried into the living world. To be honest, I’d still expect others to have the talent to continue the work

• YAAAAY for it being untouched again...lame

• For those interested in SAB's past and future, here's a thread linking to Josh Foreman discussing it in his stream:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/b4lzu4/josh_foreman_talking_a_bit_about_sab_why_each/

The poster's summary is: >

with the announcement of the SAB festival there is obviously talk about World 3. This is not news to the ex-dev of that little project and we actually had a window of opportunity to ask him on his stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/388873582?t=07h27m37s
    (if the link doesnt put you on the right mark, its 07:27:37)

Anyway, this is after Josh got laid off and he is not in the best condition in this stream. So he rambles a bit about stuff but they are valuable informations until we hit the NDA wall.

Personally I think its great to hear that the head of the team responsible for the festivals including SAB just loves the SAB and would love to get more content out for it. Yet I can understand that Anet didnt really do a good job monetizing it and with the effort that Josh and his coworkers had to put into it, I dont see any fast resolution (especially with the new team groupings after the layoffs)

ALSO hey if you like the guy, he's doing a book. He is about to sell it too. It's sounding massive. Check it out if its your stuff or not.

tl;dw appears to be:

• ANet loves SAB, too.
    • It's just not a good use of their resources to developer W3 (let alone W4).
    edited March 24, 2019

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

tl;dw appears to be:

• ANet loves SAB, too.
    • It's just not a good use of their resources to developer W3 (let alone W4).

I would add to that also that SAB was never designed to be effectively monetized (which I believe Josh mentioned was selfish on his part).

In spite of the common misconception that Tribulation mode was designed to sell infinite continue coins that I am sure most people will never give up on... even though IWBTG and stuff like Kaizo levels in Mario exist and are quite popular among a certain crowd.

Also, since you went ahead and linked directly to his personal stream here, I'll link to something as well. Considering the old GW2 forums are effectively gone the history of W2 in particular from 2013 is starting to get lost to time. I think its worthwhile to break the sort of unwritten rule that people seemed to have about linking to these two blog posts from Josh (his personal blog) in 2013, especially since he is no longer at ArenaNet (basically back in 2013, the people that found these blog posts didn't want to get Josh into any trouble).

The short version: between W1 (the original April Fools release) and W2 (Back to School) SAB went from an example of content that increased player retention to content that had "dismal" numbers with W2, relative to the exceptional numbers of W1 according to Josh. This happened because of a perfect storm of circumstances that I don't believe any one party can be blamed for in particular.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019

@Crise.9401
    Thanks for the additional info and links.
    (I learned a lot, including confirming some suspicions I had and proving some of them wrong. Good stuff.)

One minor correction...

Considering the old GW2 forums are effectively gone the history of W2

The old forums are available in full at https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/

I find it easier to use Google (or Bing, I suppose) to search. You can even choose to download the whole thing. (under a gig of data, but requires MySQL)

In particular, there are 7 pages of links to Foreman's posts:
    https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/Josh-Foreman-8250/showposts

@Crise thanks for the additional info and links.

One minor correction...

I find it easier to use Google (or Bing, I suppose) to search. You can even choose to download the whole thing. (under a gig of data, but requires MySQL)

I recalled there being some archival project of the old forums, but I couldn't find it quickly while I was writing that post so I gave up on looking for it :smile:. Thanks for linking it.

edited March 24, 2019

@Crise.9401 said:

@Crise thanks for the additional info and links.

One minor correction...

I recalled there being some archival project of the old forums, but I couldn't find it quickly while I was writing that post so I gave up on looking for it :smile:. Thanks for linking it.

The bit that always concerned me was the “forum posting class”. I mean Josh did a fab job of communicating during the debacle of w2, but it sums up Anets consistently dire communication policy that devs arent as free to talk as they should be., esp as they outrightly said afterwards no such policy on training to post on forums existed.

Id rather devs posted with honesty and passion like he did than never at all. (Assuming they wish to )

• I just wish they'd finally continue adding new worlds, this is kinda getting repetitive after the 20th year in a row. I really love SAB, but it makes me sad seeing that it hasn't really changed the last few years at all.

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

I still remember after trying out SAB for the first time, going back to Tyria feels like a new game, my wish is for World 3 to be greenlit but no new world no hype,

• kta.6502kta.6502 Member ✭✭

In all of the years I've played GW2, I've never ever played SAB. So next week will be the first time I explore Moto's world. I want to see how long I last in Tribulation mode! :D

Signed,

Lapis the neighborhood friendly RP-PVX player. :

@Mark Katzbach.4680 said:
    Explore two worlds of excitement, peril, and educational entertainment to earn holographic weapons and a variety of loot.

Welp... no world 3 this year...

Mark Katzbach notes about the incoming SAB

edited March 26, 2019

@Gopaka.7839 said:

@Mark Katzbach.4680 said:
    Explore two worlds of excitement, peril, and educational entertainment to earn holographic weapons and a variety of loot.

Welp... no world 3 this year...

Mark Katzbach notes about the incoming SAB

Not unexpected in the slightest, sadly.

However, what I am about to follow that up with is probably the most ungrateful sounding comment ever... even though, they actually added some content in the box (i.e. new upgraded skill unlocks and adventures, unclear if they are tied to each other... I presume yes), which was more than I would have expected. But, this means that whatever may have been previously planned for the mega bomb and boomerang (we know the mega bomb has existed in some form since the initial SAB release, since there is a statement saying that the original SAB bomb finisher uses the animation for last bomb upgrade from way back when it was last introduced).

So, that is an official confirmation that whatever may have been previously planned that the devs never got around to adding in later worlds (in terms of these two upgrades) is now, well officially off the table if you pardon the meme reference.

At the end of the day it is not a big deal, as long as the way those upgrades are earned in the worlds that do exist is implemented in a cool and impactful way, but it does reinforce the idea of whole new worlds are very unlikely going forward as they have now officially shifted into adding much more bite sized pieces of stuff inside the box which takes stuff that was presumably originally intended for the following unavailable worlds. (In short rather than keep these things in their back pocket in the off chance that they may be able to execute on something closer to the original vision in the future this shift implies a degree of giving up on the possibility of that happening, however, slim that may have been).

Bottom line though, I am happy for any content changes because it gives me more stuff to do. However, also slightly melancholic because it involves stuff previously intended for W3-4, because of the implication it may carry, rather than something completely unique.

edited March 26, 2019

I can understand the troubles in SAB developement, but I will not be sad, if they add everything that was planned for w3/4 in w1/2, sure it's not the same thing, and I can concede that the priority is living world episodes. If it stay like that, mwelp it's a shame, but I will deal with it. I'm very happy they added new things like those adventures and weapons.

And I'm starting wondering if the reason why w3/4 aren't made is that they lost any knowledge related to it? Maybe they don't know how to code/modelize it anymore?
    Jusy want to kill vanquish and earn my 10k baubles end of the game reward. D: Eventually saving Mot.. Hmm miya.

@hugo.4705 said:
    And I'm starting wondering if the reason why w3/4 aren't made is that they lost any knowledge related to it? Maybe they don't know how to code/modelize it anymore?

Check out the links posted further up in this thread. It appears that the main reason why w3/4 fell off the table really is the fact that the w2 release did not come anywhere close to fulfilling expectations back in 2013.

• Zaxares.5419Zaxares.5419 Member ✭✭✭

Well, they've added some new items to work for this year, so I'm looking forward to that. :) Disappointed as always that W3/4 aren't released (and with Josh's departure, I fear we may never see them now), but the new SAB adventures sound interesting. I expect they'll award Furniture Coins though; as much as I'd like them to reward Crimson Tokens, I expect that might trivialize the collection. (Wouldn't bother me if it did, but I think a lot of other players would howl with displeasure.)

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

Now I am truly hyped. I've installed TacO and intend to watch all guides to finally do this right and get all the achievements.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.