Global Unidentified Gear Incoming, March 26th!

@Grimmtooth.4163 said:As things stand now if you open UI gear on a lower level character you still get level 80 gear.Will this remain the same after the change?Yes

Will the expanded UI gear drop changes ONLY affect the previous individual loot items that drop or will it also replace some of the various types of loot bags?

Lets put it like this. Say you farm Silverwastes and get Bags of Gear and Embroidered Purses. If you open those on a lower level, you'll get gear appropriate for the level you open them on like you do right now. If you open those same Bags of Gear and Embroidered Purses on a level 80, you get unidentified gear instead, which those will only have lvl 80 gear inside of them.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:To answer a few questions that have arisen:

1. Regional drops are on their own separate tables. So the uniqueness of things like Krytan weapons is preserved by those only being available on the appropriate maps.
  2. Gear that comes from champion bags and other regional bags that would yield generic equipment are replaced by unidentified gear at level 80.
  3. Opening bags on lower level characters will continue to yield gear appropriate to that character's level.
  4. There won't be Path of Fire Unidentified Gear, Heart of Thorns Unidentified Gear and Core Tyria Unidentified gear. There are the different tiers of rarity for unidentified gear.

What about things like Living World Season 3 jumping puzzles that drop level 80 gear even for a level 2 character? How will those be affected?

Like for example. The Draconic Mons JP has a 100% drop chance for 1 rare per day per character. What will happen with that as there are a good number of people that have "invested" in parking alts there.

My thoughts: This will be a very good change if, and only if, the effects of Magic Find are changed to affect all direct drop sources (enemies, chests, event rewards, etc.), in other words apply magic find just once any time you can receive any kind of drop.

Currently, Magic Find is very hit or miss and needs to be normalised like all other game mechanics.(Gold Find, Karma Gain and XP Gain need to be normalised too..)

Also, please don't get rid of all the many unique meta and champion bags. They bring a very specific, nostalgic sense of flavor to the game that reminds you of where you've been, and it would be a shame to waste all of the developer effort that went into creating unique icons, names, and descriptions for all of them. If you want to get rid of them at least turn them into junk drops.

This is just wonderful... After nearly 6 years of playing, when I finally have a respectable MF stat, and Anet pulls MF's usefulness out from right under me.

Yeah, I'm definately not happy about this change. Yeah change the drops to all unid'd. That's a good idea. But the whole idea of identifying drops was precisely because they could advance in rarity in the first place. That was the whole idea behind id'ing drops from the get-go. And now you want to abandon that..

Gee. Thanks a bunch. I wonder how long it'll be, before you come up with another inane idea to frell me over.

@cmpgamer.9628 said:How will this work for WvW when items drop? I am under the impression that WvW maps are considered Core Tyria maps and thus use the same drop tables.

In thousands of hours of WvW I've only had a mace precursor drop when mace wasn't meta. Everything else is mostly fodder for TP <1g or salvage.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:Seems like another means of devaluing magic find and to further nerf farms. At least before when you got unidentified gear from a chest, who got use it for the id roll. Now it dont get to use it at all.Most of my unidentified gear i get is from chest, which are not effected by mf. It seems to me mf is starting to get just as worthless as gold find. It only effects drops from trash mobs.

Well Thunderhead peaks is pretty much all rare unid gear in the treasure rooms.

The biggest discrepancy was people maximizing MF in Silverwastes versus people opening as they received them. I only saved the rare ones, because my MF isn't maxed it isn't worth my time to open those immediately (all blue/green went on TP). I opened 2 stacks of 250 rare unid last month because the going rate was around 18 silver , selling them would mean much less than one ecto per rare. Sorting through and TPing all rare staves (usually 25silvers) , greatswords (usually 40silvers), swords (usually 25silvers) and exotics (30-60silvers usually) made it minorly profitable.

Unless I'm reading incorrectly, this change would mean drop rate for exotics would be based on the unid and not on MF. The MF would influence which unid you receive.Removing pulsing brandsparks, eye(s) of kormir, and congealed putrescence means salvaging the blue and green unid won't e as painful if you do it by accident. Eye of kormir and congealed putrescence are down to a few coppers rather than silvers.

@"Fishrock.5207" said:Is this coming to Raid loot and WvW? Those places are sorely in need of this...Honestly the reward tracks from crystal desert onward providing "desert crafting material coffers" with spicy coffee in them are far more annoying. You need to open them manually and it is tiring because you need to select a reward for each box.

I have a stacking inventory position for heavy loot bags, embroidered pouches from the keep/tower lords and sell unids as I get them. All the green/blue fodder is salvaged. If MF doesn't affect blue/green unids I'm probably salvaging them all if the eye of kormir and congealed putrescence is removed from that possible salvage result.

@CryptoPseudoNym.3125 said:This is just wonderful... After nearly 6 years of playing, when I finally have a respectable MF stat, and Anet pulls MF's usefulness out from right under me.

Unidentified gear currently double-dips in MF. It's the only loot that I know of that first checks against MF when it drops to see what rarity you get, and then checks against MF again when identified!

I'm looking forward to this change as I really enjoy how these bags were added to PoF maps, but I'm seconding those who wish there was a way to "uncheck" specific items from being salvaged in the salvage all panel. I know using invisible bags is an option, but it would still be a nice QoL feature I think.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Maybe its me, but i find unid gear more cumbersome as a system. You end up with a big stack, which you cant open if you havent the space and then you have to clear down and salvage and repeat. Fair play if ppl prefer it, but id rather just salvage as go along.

It also absolutely will need the filter to keep unids from salvage all

A lot less cumbersome than the bags that HoT and S2 maps give all the time. Hopefully this means we'll just have 3 unidentified gear stacks rather than 5+ types of loot bags after HoT metas to sort through.

It sounds like those will still exist from irenios latest comment, its just those will contain unid bags instead of gear. So we will get bags inside bags

A bit concerned, because its not stated if all rewards in 80zones will be changed to unids. For eg, ab grand chests always drop 1 bag that we can open on a diff char, in addition to the fixed 80s gear which will clearly be changed to unids.

From what was said, it sounds like all 80 zones' gears and possibly bags will be streamlined to unids. Would this affect the current bags that are dropped? Because these are a major source of lower tier mats... If this source gets removed (bags that drop in 80 zones), and not just the normal gear that drop, that would be unpleasant

Not sure if I missed an answer to this, apologies if I did.

Nonetheless, ty to the team for working on qol issues, even if there are new drawbacks.

(like, I appreciated that someone was working on the BFF brazier animation old content, even though it ended up being blinding when you are mounted. It's the tot that counts)

@Randulf.7614 said:Maybe its me, but i find unid gear more cumbersome as a system. You end up with a big stack, which you cant open if you havent the space and then you have to clear down and salvage and repeat. Fair play if ppl prefer it, but id rather just salvage as go along.

I tend to sell all of them to the trading post, is that a mistake?

@xFloris.9601 said:

No. If you don't find time to boost your magic find to 800+%, you may as well sell all UnID'd items to the TP.

@xFloris.9601 said:

There’s no right or wrong answer to it. It’s your preference

Thank you for this change. Finally I will be able to do dungeons/fractals with all of my characters if I want. So far I can use only 1 of them, 'cause no inventory space. And even so, I often have to stop to salvage my stuff, while my team mates keep running ahead.Good improvement!

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:So is there any point in having high Magic Find anymore, other than Mystic Toilet lottery, after this change?

It’ll determine the quality of bag you get (I think)

Correct, however what isn't really explained is obscure loot .. like living world season 3 jumping puzzles .. which a low level character can get level 80 gear from. They said it's based on character level, but this one is a mystery to me.

@anninke.7469 said:

@"NazzyDragon.9127" said:Hey, throwing my voice into the pile of "exclude them from salvage all" -- especially since there's a salvage stack option! (my tendinitis thanks you for that!)Put them in an Invisible Bag, nothing gets auto-salvaged from there.Account-wide bag slots work, too, if you have three to spare. This works especially well if you play many characters, as you don't have to reserve space in every individual character's inventory.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:So is there any point in having high Magic Find anymore, other than Mystic Toilet lottery, after this change?

It’ll determine the quality of bag you get (I think)

Also they said exotics will still drop directly, and higher magic find will give you a higher chance of getting those. Plus things like the lost bandit chests in Silverwastes which are affected by magic find.

As I understand it outside of PoF maps the effect of magic find is largely unchanged, it still increases your probability of getting rares (and exotics) but now instead of getting a specific rare item you'll get a rare unidentified item, which will stack with all the other rare unidentified items you've got and only take up 1 space in your inventory (unless you get more than 250 of them).

It's just not going to be worth boosting it as high as possible before opening those bags, because the drops from them won't be affected by it.

Unidentified Gear was a terrible thing, when it was implemented. It's basically "we're too lazy, here it is a bag, deal with it". Now reclaimed weapon parts will go sky-high, as well as any other mats, depending on specific item salvage. And in general, who came up with an idea to mess up with loot processes in a loot-oriented-game?As if Anet is really keen on killing any joy left in GW2...Well, on the right track then.

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:Greetings, Tyrians!

• Magic find will no longer affect the results of identifying Unidentified Gear.

• Unidentified Gear reward tables are being changed to account for their availability across Tyria, including:

...Before the 3/26 change• Unidentified Gear drops are influenced by magic find twice—once when received as a drop and once when identified.• Fine, masterwork, and rare equipment drops are influenced by magic find once, when received as a drop.

After the 3/26 change• Unidentifed Gear drops are influenced by Magic Find once, when received as a drop. Exotic equipment still has the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear.

Overall, you’ll get the same amount of loot and won’t have to play inventory wars as much.

Soo.. How does it work when you sell/buy Unidentified Gear bags off the BLTC? Do you inherit the drop magic find and location of the previous owner of the bag? Or do you get based on where and how much magic find you have when you received the bag from the BLTC merchant?

And, I take it, this negates any reason to travel to Silverwastes for the magic find boost there, correct? (Except for the bags from SW.)