Global Unidentified Gear Incoming, March 26th!

"• Unidentified Gear reward tables are being changed to account for their availability across Tyria, including:

o Setting the frequency of rare item drops in the Crystal Desert region to the same frequency as rare items from the rest of Tyria"

Do we have data pertaining to this? Currently, are rares directly dropping(before IDing) more frequently in PoF content than in core/HoT?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Linken.6345 said:

@Darlgon.9273 said:Soo.. How does it work when you sell/buy Unidentified Gear bags off the BLTC? Do you inherit the drop magic find and location of the previous owner of the bag? Or do you get based on where and how much magic find you have when you received the bag from the BLTC merchant?

And, I take it, this negates any reason to travel to Silverwastes for the magic find boost there, correct? (Except for the bags from SW.)

After the change Mf will only affect if you get a blue, green or yellow unided drop from mobs, bags etc.

That is NOT what they said:

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:Greetings, Tyrians!• Unidentified Gear drops are influenced by magic find twice—once when received as a drop and once when identified.• Fine, masterwork, and rare equipment drops are influenced by magic find once, when received as a drop.

After the 3/26 change• Unidentifed Gear drops are influenced by Magic Find once, when received as a drop. Exotic equipment still has the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear.

That says to me that the magic find when the player gets the bag affects what the contents of the bag are, not the level of the bag.

@Darlgon.9273 said:

@Darlgon.9273 said:Soo.. How does it work when you sell/buy Unidentified Gear bags off the BLTC? Do you inherit the drop magic find and location of the previous owner of the bag? Or do you get based on where and how much magic find you have when you received the bag from the BLTC merchant?

And, I take it, this negates any reason to travel to Silverwastes for the magic find boost there, correct? (Except for the bags from SW.)

After the change Mf will only affect if you get a blue, green or yellow unided drop from mobs, bags etc.

That is NOT what they said:

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:Greetings, Tyrians!• Unidentified Gear drops are influenced by magic find twice—once when received as a drop and once when identified.• Fine, masterwork, and rare equipment drops are influenced by magic find once, when received as a drop.

After the 3/26 change•
Unidentifed Gear drops are influenced by Magic Find once, when received as a drop.
Exotic equipment still has the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear.

That says to me that the magic find when the player gets the bag affects what the contents of the bag are, not the level of the bag.

Magic find will affect the tier quality of bag that is dropped not the contents

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Maybe its me, but i find unid gear more cumbersome as a system. You end up with a big stack, which you cant open if you havent the space and then you have to clear down and salvage and repeat. Fair play if ppl prefer it, but id rather just salvage as go along.

This is only an issue if the salvage you get from un'id gear isn't the same as id'd gear. For example, under the old system if you salvaged un'id gear you got tons of Eyes of Kormir. Sounds like that has changed though, so if I salvage a piece of un'id gear I should get the same materials (mithril/silk/etc) as I would if I had identified it first.

Not quite. When salvaging unids you forfeit the chance of getting a higher tier gear, and you forfeit the chance of salvaging sigils/runes (since unids do not have those).

@Khisanth.2948 said:That double dipping is mostly theoretical isn't it? Most come from either chests/containers/map bonus systems that are unaffected by MF.Which is why it was originally affected by MF. It seems they want to stealthily nerf this.

@Ajaxx.3157 said:Doesn't this make Account Magic Find pretty useless now or have I read this wrong?

Looks to me like you roll on account magic find to see if you get a rare, green or blue unided gear in the first place.Since most of the gear (and most of PoF unids, by the way) comes from containers, so isn't affected by MF, that does mean MF will be worth far less after that change.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Unidentified gear currently double-dips in MF.Considering that almost all unid gear currently comes not from direct mob drops, but from other sources that
aren't
affected by MF, that is.. let's say, not quite true.

Also, this seems like another major nerf not only to Istan, but to all PoF+LS4 metas.

@Linken.6345 said:

@TexZero.7910 said:Why do we have magic find at all at this point if it's seemingly having whats left of it's value removed ?

@Favillion.7843 said:magic find has become almost useless at this point, cause by now almost nothing is affected by it

There is still some bags from hot/spvp and once a year chinese new year that is affected by magic find.

Follow the trend. It won't be long before those are not affected either as it disenfranchises people with low MF.After all can't have a system that promotes long term play/investment rewarding you that just pushes others away....

If I'm understanding this correctly, this will essentially just change it so if I would have gotten a green on my level 80 from killing a monster, I'll now get a green unidentified gear instead that I can identify and potentially get a rare or exotic from, but it won't be affected by my MF at that point.Also, that unidentified gear will only open into level 80 gear regardless of what level the character is that opens it. But, if you open something like a Bag of Gear from Silverwastes on a level 50 character, that Bag of Gear will instead drop level ~50 gear like it currently does and unidentified gear will be reserved for only level 80s?

If so, I'll be quite happy with this change as long as they somehow allow us to exclude unidentified gear from Salvage All. Yes, I get it, I can use an invisible bag. But I personally don't like invisible bags because anything else that accidentally ends up in them gets stuck in there and I have to manual salvage or deposit them all. And when you're inventory sorting on the fly and don't notice a new stack formed, you end up accidentally salvaging all of that new stack. I'd rather that just not be something that even has the possibility of happening, especially if this is now a loot type I'll be accumulating from everywhere. And I currently already use all my Shared slots for something and don't want to be forced to get 3 more at the moment. Plus, those can still fill up with a stack and the overflow ends up in regular inventory still, so that's still a problem.

And if they do remove it from Salvage All like I'm hoping, props to you Anet. I'm personally happy that the MF boost on them will be removed because I hated feeling like I had to hoard all those bags until I had a ton so I could run to SW, frantically stack MF, then open everything as quick as I could. Made the loot quite frustrating for me, personally. Even if it's a little less profit overall in the long run, at least I don't feel like I'm missing out on something if I don't spam MF. Plus, don't have to worry about clearing my inventory in the middle of a meta event. ;D

And MF still affects what drops you actually get from playing the game and killing things, guys. Calm down. You'll get better unidentified gear than people with lower MF.

@"Ototo.3214" said:If I'm understanding this correctly, this will essentially just change it so if I would have gotten a green on my level 80 from killing a monster, I'll now get a green unidentified gear instead that I can identify and potentially get a rare or exotic from, but it won't be affected by my MF at that point.Also, that unidentified gear will only open into level 80 gear regardless of what level the character is that opens it. But, if you open something like a Bag of Gear from Silverwastes on a level 50 character, that Bag of Gear will instead drop level ~50 gear like it currently does and unidentified gear will be reserved for only level 80s?Exactly!If so, I'll be quite happy with this change as long as they somehow allow us to exclude unidentified gear from Salvage All. Yes, I get it, I can use an invisible bag. But I personally don't like invisible bags because anything else that accidentally ends up in them gets stuck in there and I have to manual salvage or deposit them all. And when you're inventory sorting on the fly and don't notice a new stack formed, you end up accidentally salvaging all of that new stack. I'd rather that just not be something that even has the possibility of happening, especially if this is now a loot type I'll be accumulating from everywhere. And I currently already use all my Shared slots for something and don't want to be forced to get 3 more at the moment. Plus, those can still fill up with a stack and the overflow ends up in regular inventory still, so that's still a problem.They probably will add the exclude from "salvage all" thing. Maybe not right now, but later it's gonna happen for sure.

And MF still affects what drops you actually get from playing the game and killing things, guys. Calm down. You'll get better unidentified gear than people with lower MF.This!^ People with high MF will get more rare/exotics than those with less. Their advantage won't be lost at all. In fact, the amount of exotics in the game will go down, thus making them more valuable.

There are parts about this change I like.

However there is a lot here that concerns me even though I'm NOT a regular farmer of unid'd gear. As was stated earlier, things will destabilize and it is uncertain how this will change long-term. Personally, I'm not motivated by gold but I am motivated regarding the population (both actual & perceived) and the overall health of the game (which I am sure - they are too).

1. It is nice to be able and go to Istan, SW, or the latest LW map and find lots of players. With things destabilizing, I'm concerned that the population of those maps might drop. Of course if those players still play GW2, then they'll move to next most profitable map. If they spread out more evenly than as a whole GW2 may seem empty.

2. If you are a new player, it is nice to find the active maps. You get a taste of the community, learn the game, find a good guild, and perhaps get hooked and become a regular. If #1 happens, I would think that new player retention would also take a hit. I am sure that if a player likes the game for what it is, they'll stay regardless. But an active community goes a long way in retaining too.

3. What is their goal for MF? I understand that this only affects the double MF hit to opening the UnID'd bag, and does NOT affect drop rates from enemy kills. Occasionally, I liked going to SW, maxing out MF and opening my rare UnID'd bags and see what I got. It was only then I really appreciated this mechanic because running around with 300%+ MF in the rest of the world has very little noticeable effect. If there is a .01% chance to get a rare bag (don't know the actual % so I'm making this up) then with a 300% increase is still a really small number. So I don't disagree that MF is still a viable mechanic, but it seems a lot more insignificant now.

4. What is there goal here? Maybe there is a new map coming that will attract all the player base. If so, great! But why now? I'm guessing that new map, if it exists, is a way out. If #1 & #2 happen, wouldn't it be too late? Maybe their goal is too address TP barons? But they have a niche here, and any diverse impact to them could also negatively impact the overall game. Maybe they are thinking about "inventory wars" as mentioned earlier. If so, then some of these changes will indeed be helpful, but the potential gold earnings would then seem like an unintended side affect. That would then imply that they are out of touch with the player base.

5. Many players are carefully watching what GW2 does now after the recent shake-up. Some players predicted drastic changes would be taken to generate more income to the game. Is this that first step? It would seem to me that with an established player base warily watching the next few steps, indirectly affecting a player's wealth is a lousy move.

6. This is their first big change being announced after what happened at the company and a lot of players are CONFUSED! It took me a while, but I think I understand things better. I just hope that this level of confusion doesn't happen again with any additional future changes.

7. Personally for me, having someone else deliver it would be better. I've watched the videos of the devs, and he's rubbed me the wrong way a few times now. Especially with that mic drop thing and satisfied look when he announced a significant nerf that miffed a lot of ele players, and I don't even main an ele! Maybe I got it all wrong and he's a great guy, but sometimes impressions are hard to get rid of.

So, only time will tell. I sure just hope that this doesn't cut the feet out after the big event that just happened. All I can do is trust that they know what the players want and do what's best for them and the company.

Since PoF maps will no longer be unique with unidentified gear, please consider doing something to make Treasure Hunting Kits more attractive to help maintain populations on PoF maps. One thing that stands out would be a QoL feature allowing a player to change the current hunt location without having to leave the game.

I think people need to be told explicitly what implications the results of the changes will be or else they will keep asking.Like MF will continue to affect drop rates, just not rarity rates of unidentified gear.
And this will help inventory wars because you will stop getting green/blue gear that take up a bag slot but instead get unidentified gear that stack together in a single slot.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Twyn.7320" said:'
Unidentified Gear drops are influenced by Magic Find once
when received as a
drop
Exotic equipment still has the same chance
it currently does to drop directly
in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear
.'

This is where people are getting stuck. Because the wording for exotics makes it seem like we're getting two chances at loot, whilst the 'Before Change' stated that we had two chances, being reduced in the 'After Change' to one. How it sounds to me:

If I kill a monster, my MF determines whether that bag is Fine/Masterwork/Rare Unidentified Gear.If I open the Gear of a rarity, it'll give me an item of that rarity, or will be upgraded at the same % chance as everyone else in the game. So if the flat rate is 30%, everyone in the game will have a 30% chance of getting an upgrade whilst identifying a piece of gear, as MF doesn't affect this and the flat rate takes over.In the case of Exotic Items, this isn't affected by Magic Find at all. Everyone in the game gets a 30% chance of directly dropping an Exotic Item from a monster, and that 30% is used again whilst identifying from Unidentified Gear.

In summary, it sounds as if Magic Find will never be used for Exotic drops. Because if it had the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance from identifying gear, you wouldn't have a flat rate for everyone. If my Magic Find was 200%, it'd imply that the subsequent chance of getting an Exotic Item from identification would also be 200%. However, because Magic Find isn't used through Identification, there's a flat rate that ANet decides for us making MF obsolete.

That's inaccurate as phrased.
  • When you kill a foe, MF affects whether you get unID gear (and if so, which rarity) or an exotic. This is true today; it will be true next week, too.
  • If you open unID gear today, your MF affects the chance that you'll get an exotic. If you open next Wednesday, it won't.

MF is still going to matter, a lot. It just won't matter twice anymore. It's bad for people like me who are willing to take time to open and good for the majority who don't do that. (It's especially bad for those who buy unID gear from others just to open with high MF; they'll need to find another way to extract value from the TP... and fortunately, there will be some new ones.)

Here's what the change is going to mean:
  • Today: it's worth 20-40 gold extra for stacks of rare unID gear,
    if
    you're market savvy
    and
    have plenty of time to visit Silverwastes to process your inventory
    and
    the means to up your boosts to 1000%. It's better to sell if you're missing any of that.
  • Next week: unID gear will drop in price, as the supply will spike (faucets spread to all zones) and the demand drops (the above minority no longer interested in buying)
  • 5 months or so: unID gear will increase in price, because people will realize it's the primary source of ecto and of various mats, because the supply of ecto will drop (now that min-maxers aren't getting "extra" rares from it); the price of exotics will also go up

Or in brief, it's a redistribution of that excess 20-40 gold for stacks of rare unID gear...
from
the high MF/patient openers
to
the rest of the community.It's unclear if it will result in a net increase in the value of the affected markets or a net decrease, although I doubt it's going to be all that far apart in the long run.

Thank you for the clear phrasing of my thoughts when I was reading this thread. And for the extra insights (in this post and the ones you made after this) I had not thought about. As so often for some players this change will be negative, but for many players this change will be positive. I think it is a QoL improvement for the majority of the community. But maybe not so much a QoL improvement for the very small percentage of players that is active on the forums.

@Dami.5046 said:Community : You must run meta builds with ascended.Also community: make all mats as expensive as possible.so greedy.Do not ever believe that individual people speaking up in this forum are a whole of the community. Yes, some of them (not all, though, obviously, since there's no topic on which everyone agrees on) might represent a majority, but all of the community? Never.

Are chests/containers gonna be influenced by MF after the change? A lot of those unId bags are given by those, after all, so their drop isn't influenced by magic find to start with. In those cases, it's a straight and unwarranted nerf, as magic find applied a single time (that is, when opening them).