Global Unidentified Gear Incoming, March 26th!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Dami.5046 said:Community : You must run meta builds with ascended.Also community: make all mats as expensive as possible.so greedy.Do not ever believe that individual people speaking up in this forum are a whole of the community. Yes, some of them (not all, though, obviously, since there's no topic on which everyone agrees on) might represent a majority, but
all
of the community? Never.

oh c'mon. I'm old enough and stupid enough to realise that.But anyway thanks for the heads up.It was a Broad term. waves arms.

@Dami.5046 said:

@Dami.5046 said:Community : You must run meta builds with ascended.Also community: make all mats as expensive as possible.so greedy.Do not ever believe that individual people speaking up in this forum are a whole of the community. Yes, some of them (not all, though, obviously, since there's no topic on which everyone agrees on) might represent a majority, but
all
of the community? Never.

oh c'mon. I'm old enough and stupid enough to realise that.But anyway thanks for the heads up.It was a Broad term. waves arms.

To ammend to your original remark.Berserker used to be the meta, and expensive as skritt. But then the metas changed, the new meta became expensive as skritt, and berserker remained at an okay price because it was still good.The meta changes again a few times.

Its supply and demand. Materials are worthless and cheap, until they become meta. All supply is removed and demand maximizes, thus becoming expensive.Luckily, path of fire introduces a LOT of outlets for exotic armor in which you can choose the stats.And trust me, i, and a lot of squads, will take a veteran in greens over a newby in ascended armor anytime of day, every day.

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

• Magic find will no longer affect the results of identifying Unidentified Gear.

One thing that I haven't seen questioned or clarified.

Everyone in this thread (including myself) seems to be assuming that existing Unidentified Gear (affected by magic find) which is already in your inventory / bank will change overnight to become Unidentified Gear (not affected by magic find.)Hence I am planning on joining others in the Silverwastes this weekend to clear out stashed reserves.

It could however be the case that existing Unidentified Gear is left unchanged (i.e a legacy item code), and from the patch on Tuesday Unidentified Gear drops as a completely new item which does not stack with the legacy item. This could leave the legacy item affected by magic find until identified / salvaged even after the patch.

I'm not expecting an official answer early enough to change my personal rush to the Silverwastes, so I am still assuming the first way of working!But it would make some sense that the change follows the second option, especially as they are otherwise likely to be swamped by complaints next week from people who haven't seen this announcement.(Hey ANet! I was on holiday for two weeks and I come back to find six bank tabs worth of Unidentified gear has been vastly devalued by removing magic find. You have stolen from me! I demand compensation! I would have gotten at least 20 precursors! etc. etc. ;) )

@Jokel.5164 said:So do i open my bags now or after the change? Maybe a better question would be how much MF do I need that it makes sense to open it beforehand?!

I would say with lunar newyear rockets, mf booster, birthday booster, black lion booster, guild 24h drink, guild banner, food/utility and 5 events + vinewrath in the silverwaste.You should be 800-1000 mf for you to open mate.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

all
of the community? Never.

To ammend to your original remark.Berserker used to be the meta, and expensive as skritt. But then the metas changed, the new meta became expensive as skritt, and berserker remained at an okay price because it was still good.The meta changes again a few times.

Its supply and demand. Materials are worthless and cheap, until they become meta. All supply is removed and demand maximizes, thus becoming expensive.Luckily, path of fire introduces a LOT of outlets for exotic armor in which you can choose the stats.And trust me, i, and a lot of squads, will take a veteran in greens over a newby in ascended armor anytime of day, every day.

Ah so you're a comm. Take someone in greens. Sorry I had to LOL at that. Hope that wasn't in wvw.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Jokel.5164 said:So do i open my bags now or after the change? Maybe a better question would be how much MF do I need that it makes sense to open it beforehand?!

I would say with lunar newyear rockets, mf booster, birthday booster, black lion booster, guild 24h drink, guild banner, food/utility and 5 events + vinewrath in the silverwaste.You should be 800-1000 mf for you to open mate.

Yeah, and I can only get to 500-600 max, so I guess I'll open them afterwards...

Not sure why people have a problem with the magic find. It was only in PoF where magic find did something twice. In core and HoT it always only was used once. Now PoF and HoT/core work the same. I dont see how thats a big deal.

I find it worse, albeit only a little, that the whole games loot is now just the same. Seems rather boring.

This is like when anet said they are buffing the loot in instan to make up for making them daily rewards instead they made the loot worse and made them daily.I wonder how many unid gears comes from drops which is effected by mf compared to things that are not effected. I am pretty sure 95% of mine come from chests, event rewards and champ bags.This is a loot nerf disguised as a QoL update.

@Jokel.5164 said:

Yeah, and I can only get to 500-600 max, so I guess I'll open them afterwards...

I would sell all the green, blues and bump your mf up to max to open the yellows before it cant be worse then no magic find affecting em at all.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:This is like when anet said they are buffing the loot in instan to make up for making them daily rewards instead they made the loot worse and made them daily.I wonder how many unid gears comes from drops which is effected by mf compared to things that are not effected. I am pretty sure 95% of mine come from chests, event rewards and champ bags.This is a loot nerf disguised as a QoL update.

Agree here, reverse the magic find so it dont affect on drop instead only when you open please.

I think make unid gear account bound but have it affected by magic find. When the changes come into effect theres hardly a point in selling them on the TP anyway (what difference does it make to open them yourselves?). It also means long time players will benefit from MF whilst not totally disadv new players.

As for double dipping in MF problem. Just have the rarity of unid drops not affected by MF since a lot of the time (from chest and bosses I believe) MF doesnt up their rarity anyway. Thats if double dipping truly an issue to begin with. If you want to make it so players dont have to play exclusively SW to boost MF maybe design the MF boosts into basically all metas rather than it being exclusive to SW.

Since around the time of the layoffs I find there have been some terrible decision making in general.

@eldrjth.7384 said:I think make unid gear account bound but have it affected by magic find. When the changes come into effect theres hardly a point in selling them on the TP anyway (what difference does it make to open them yourselves?). It also means long time players will benefit from MF whilst not totally disadv new players.

As for double dipping in MF problem. Just have the rarity of unid drops not affected by MF since a lot of the time (from chest and bosses I believe) MF doesnt up their rarity anyway. Thats if double dipping truly an issue to begin with. If you want to make it so players dont have to play exclusively SW to boost MF maybe design the MF boosts into basically all metas rather than it being exclusive to SW.

Since around the time of the layoffs I find there have been some terrible decision making in general.

That is what they going for as well. Vet players have it all(or almost all they wanted/need). New players will go trough some troubles, well vets went trough Orr farm.Let me sum up. It will add playtime for new players to accure gear and shinnies.

@"eldrjth.7384" said:I think make unid gear account bound but have it affected by magic find. When the changes come into effect theres hardly a point in selling them on the TP anyway (what difference does it make to open them yourselves?). It also means long time players will benefit from MF whilst not totally disadv new players.

Nothing will change really /shrug

It's not like they decided to do this last month.. This must have required a TON of work. Proof? They've said so themselves on multiple occasions when it was suggested that all loot be changed to unidentified gear to help with the inventory clogging.

In a way this change isn't even 100% in their best interest. Less "full inventory" means less interest in expanding those bag slots for money. This was definitely the reason why I bought some bag expansions back then and I am sure there are many more people who have had this issue. Now that I have 210 slots on my main I don't even have to salvage it all to make space in my gaming sessions, maybe I do it during some down time on events or out of boredom/habit.

@phs.6089 said:I don't open PoF Unids for long now, after the patch it will be worthless to sell blues and greens. So yeah click-click-click-click-click to open uninds like HoT metas don't have enough bags to open.My inventory management is simple, stop after event and click on salve-matic, salve all trash gear, carry on. Now I have to find time to open all that then salve.

I'm curious, if you're going to TP dump or salvage the gear anyway, why not salvage without ID'ing? Genuine question, I've never been a min maxer or gone out of my way to maximize my profit in the game (and when I get mats from salvaging gear, I keep said mats unless I'm over my 2K stack cap in storage). So I'm wondering what extra profit there is to be had from waiting to id before salvaging. I had the impression from early days of unid'd bags that you get more mats salvaging blindly than by opening and salvaging, but could be very wrong about that.

@"dasmitchies.7462" said:Grind Wars just kills all small shortcuts a player can find. I feel stupid buying gems this week to open inventory slots. I need to find a different dead game.

Can you please translate this into "makes sense and is understandable" ? What grind? What "shortcuts" why is your gem investment worth less now?

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"dasmitchies.7462" said:Grind Wars just kills all small shortcuts a player can find. I feel stupid buying gems this week to open inventory slots. I need to find a different dead game.

Can you please translate this into "makes sense and is understandable" ? What grind? What "shortcuts" why is your gem investment worth less now?

Purchased inventory slots just had their value crash. If it all stacks those of us who bought them got conned. If you don't know what Grind Wars means, I really can't help you there. As for the shortcuts, the game's rewards system is so cheap to the players shortcuts are needed to keep the economy working right.

@mixxed.5862 said:It's pretty funny, there's always lots of people complaining no matter what the devs touch. They want to make looting and inventory management less of an annoyance but as soon as players perceive their loot might be nerfed ever so slightly in the process - brace yourselves for the hysteria.

Have you guys considered that market prices of materials will be affected by the MF nerf in the same vein? Magic find on unid gear never was a fun mechanic. Stack all of your loot until your bags are full, then pop as many MF boosters as possible and spend an hour salvaging. I'm sure I won't miss it...

This is a major improvement to convenience coupled with a small re-balance so players that don't have MF maxed out no longer need to sell all their loot at the trading post. So in turn a couple of veterans that enjoyed buffing themselves up for a round of hardcore inventory wars could buy it and turn a profit. Capitalism at its finest :dizzy: but not exactly a fun system for a game.

Helpful argument, 5 years ago.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Dami.5046 said:Good oh less exotics = more expensive on TP

It's about time they become more expensive again! Current prices are a joke, and a bad one at that.

P.S. Not fond of the MF management of those new mechanics, though. Just boosted it to max this past Wintersday...

Most exotics are trash, that is why they are so low in cost on the TP. There will not be much movement.

@Rose Solane.1027 said:

@"Twyn.7320" said:'
Unidentified Gear drops are influenced by Magic Find once
when received as a
drop
Exotic equipment still has the same chance
it currently does to drop directly
in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear
.'

This is where people are getting stuck. Because the wording for exotics makes it seem like we're getting two chances at loot, whilst the 'Before Change' stated that we had two chances, being reduced in the 'After Change' to one. How it sounds to me:

If I kill a monster, my MF determines whether that bag is Fine/Masterwork/Rare Unidentified Gear.If I open the Gear of a rarity, it'll give me an item of that rarity, or will be upgraded at the same % chance as everyone else in the game. So if the flat rate is 30%, everyone in the game will have a 30% chance of getting an upgrade whilst identifying a piece of gear, as MF doesn't affect this and the flat rate takes over.In the case of Exotic Items, this isn't affected by Magic Find at all. Everyone in the game gets a 30% chance of directly dropping an Exotic Item from a monster, and that 30% is used again whilst identifying from Unidentified Gear.

In summary, it sounds as if Magic Find will never be used for Exotic drops. Because if it had the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance from identifying gear, you wouldn't have a flat rate for everyone. If my Magic Find was 200%, it'd imply that the subsequent chance of getting an Exotic Item from identification would also be 200%. However, because Magic Find isn't used through Identification, there's a flat rate that ANet decides for us making MF obsolete.

That's inaccurate as phrased.
  • When you kill a foe, MF affects whether you get unID gear (and if so, which rarity) or an exotic. This is true today; it will be true next week, too.
  • If you open unID gear today, your MF affects the chance that you'll get an exotic. If you open next Wednesday, it won't.

MF is still going to matter, a lot. It just won't matter twice anymore. It's bad for people like me who are willing to take time to open and good for the majority who don't do that. (It's especially bad for those who buy unID gear from others just to open with high MF; they'll need to find another way to extract value from the TP... and fortunately, there will be some new ones.)

Here's what the change is going to mean:
  • Today: it's worth 20-40 gold extra for stacks of rare unID gear,
    if
    you're market savvy
    and
    have plenty of time to visit Silverwastes to process your inventory
    and
    the means to up your boosts to 1000%. It's better to sell if you're missing any of that.
  • Next week: unID gear will drop in price, as the supply will spike (faucets spread to all zones) and the demand drops (the above minority no longer interested in buying)
  • 5 months or so: unID gear will increase in price, because people will realize it's the primary source of ecto and of various mats, because the supply of ecto will drop (now that min-maxers aren't getting "extra" rares from it); the price of exotics will also go up

Or in brief, it's a redistribution of that excess 20-40 gold for stacks of rare unID gear...
from
the high MF/patient openers
to
the rest of the community.It's unclear if it will result in a net increase in the value of the affected markets or a net decrease, although I doubt it's going to be all that far apart in the long run.

Thank you for the clear phrasing of my thoughts when I was reading this thread. And for the extra insights (in this post and the ones you made after this) I had not thought about. As so often for some players this change will be negative, but for many players this change will be positive. I think it is a QoL improvement for the majority of the community. But maybe not so much a QoL improvement for the very small percentage of players that is active on the forums.

Perhaps the people who quote on the forums are the most active players? I remember the nerfs in the original Guild Wars and how many players left after them. Making gear cost too much in time creates the complaints initially, the nerfs just highlight the problem.

@Donari.5237 said:

@phs.6089 said:I don't open PoF Unids for long now, after the patch it will be worthless to sell blues and greens. So yeah click-click-click-click-click to open uninds like HoT metas don't have enough bags to open.My inventory management is simple, stop after event and click on salve-matic, salve all trash gear, carry on. Now I have to find time to open all that then salve.

I'm curious, if you're going to TP dump or salvage the gear anyway, why not salvage without ID'ing? Genuine question, I've never been a min maxer or gone out of my way to maximize my profit in the game (and when I get mats from salvaging gear, I keep said mats unless I'm over my 2K stack cap in storage). So I'm wondering what extra profit there is to be had from waiting to id before salvaging. I had the impression from early days of unid'd bags that you get more mats salvaging blindly than by opening and salvaging, but could be very wrong about that.

Cus when you salve unopened it gives you complete trash. Check it yourself, salve x5 blues, then open 5 blues and salve. And now you lose on chance to salve runes.