Global Unidentified Gear Incoming, March 26th!

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:To answer a few questions that have arisen:

1. Regional drops are on their own separate tables. So the uniqueness of things like Krytan weapons is preserved by those only being available on the appropriate maps.
  2. Gear that comes from champion bags and other regional bags that would yield generic equipment are replaced by unidentified gear at level 80.
  3. Opening bags on lower level characters will continue to yield gear appropriate to that character's level.
  4. There won't be Path of Fire Unidentified Gear, Heart of Thorns Unidentified Gear and Core Tyria Unidentified gear. There are the different tiers of rarity for unidentified gear.

I have a question about how point 1 works. How is region going to be determined if there isn't separate types of unID gear for each region? Does that mean I can get unID gear from core or HoT maps, take them to a PoF map and open them for a chance at PoF weapons? Or will region specific weapons be dropped normally and not be in unID gear at all?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Funny how after the Istan nerf, people theorized that Silverwastes was going to be next. In a collateral damage sort of way, this is a nerf to SW, since this diminishes somewhat the value of completing that meta for the MF boon.

This is more of a reward for those who stick to the same map of SW and do multiple rounds, instead of then hiding in LA again to hug the Tradepost NPC.

Well, i think the change is good for the game.

However, let's be real. This is a nerf to stacking factors making lootfarming too easy in newer areas. It is a heavy nerf to farming drop from unid gear like people farm a lot now. Old content was worse, so they had the choice to extend unid gears to it like now - making it somewhat closer to new, instead they chose to do that but also nerf unid gear everywhere bringing down the potential max farming.

So, while i like the change ffs why not just say it honestly why this playing around the facts this is actually manipulation. When people do something good but conceal their true reasons, you don't trust them. You think, why is the shield needed at all, what other shadows moves are they doing. It may work when ppl are too dumb to notice it, but intelligent people aren't fooled and it has a net negative effect. And when it could be explained in a reasonable way, it's just a lose to try to hide it and claim it's something else. Makes me feel distrust even though the change was good! I have high demands for loyalty straightforwardness and honestly in all aspects of life, and because of this, i have peace in my life.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"dasmitchies.7462" said:Most exotics are trash, that is why they are so low in cost on the TP. There will not be much movement.

Funny how, before PoF, they obviously weren't considered "trash", as they had decent prices at the TP compared to nowadays.

It's not that Exotics are trash, Unid Gears brough so much Exotics and Gold gears to the TP that the cost fell hard, same for every Pre, same for ectos.I'm pretty sure ectos/pre, exotics and gold prices will raise by a lot, since they are not that much players running with 300% MF cap.Exotics is still needed for beginners so it can't be considered as trash gears., they are still desirable.

@dasmitchies.7462 said:

@dasmitchies.7462 said:Grind Wars just kills all small shortcuts a player can find. I feel stupid buying gems this week to open inventory slots. I need to find a different dead game.

Can you please translate this into "makes sense and is understandable" ? What grind? What "shortcuts" why is your gem investment worth less now?

Purchased inventory slots just had their value crash. If it all stacks those of us who bought them got conned. If you don't know what Grind Wars means, I really can't help you there. As for the shortcuts, the game's rewards system is so cheap to the players shortcuts are needed to keep the economy working right.

Then ask for a refund of gems.

@dasmitchies.7462 said:

@dasmitchies.7462 said:Grind Wars just kills all small shortcuts a player can find. I feel stupid buying gems this week to open inventory slots. I need to find a different dead game.

Can you please translate this into "makes sense and is understandable" ? What grind? What "shortcuts" why is your gem investment worth less now?

Purchased inventory slots just had their value crash. If it all stacks those of us who bought them got conned. If you don't know what Grind Wars means, I really can't help you there. As for the shortcuts, the game's rewards system is so cheap to the players shortcuts are needed to keep the economy working right.

Please don't weasel yourself out of an answer because there is no grind in this game. You mean farming gold? You don't have to, there are other means to make gold.Shortcuts, as in paying real money on gems to convert to gold? How's that relevant? I just want to know what cheap reward system you're talking about. You don't get anything for having played a long time or for having done something for the 1000th time?

Currently, when you are identifying gear, you have a change of an item with higher rarity, influenced by your mf. After the change, this influence of mf is removed. Does it mean, that the chance of a higher rarity item is then equal to the chance with mf of 0? Or is this chance equal to a chance with mf of e.g. 300?

Please don't say 0.

I ran a Palawadan today, it failed, not enough people, but that isn't why I'm here. Because NOT ONLY did the usual amount of unid's drop/come from chests, but my inventory was ALSO quite full of regular blues and greens. Same as when I complete a Thunderhead Peaks meta series(ie both north and south) by the time it's ended my bags are full of regular drops along with a few unidentifieds. Basically in both cases I have approximately 60 or so blue unids, 40 or so greens, perhaps 8 yellow, then 1 exotic, 3 rares, 12 greens and 20 blues. In other words, unidentifieds /help/ with inventory management but by no means does it condense everything to 3 neat little stacks plus the exotic.

My question is will this be what happens in all the rest of the maps too(a few unid's and the rest regular stuff) because if so, then the real real change here is simply that mf no longer applies to unidentifieds.

@"Lord Alfred.6541" said:Currently, when you are identifying gear, you have a change of an item with higher rarity, influenced by your mf. After the change, this influence of mf is removed. Does it mean, that the chance of a higher rarity item is then equal to the chance with mf of 0? Or is this chance equal to a chance with mf of e.g. 300?

Please don't say 0.

Cynically, I expect it will skew toward the lower end of MF impact for everyone. Especially with this in the announcement post: "Exotic equipment still has the same chance it currently does to drop directly in addition to the rare chance to obtain it from identifying gear."

Not only that, there's some critical information that wasn't clarified in regards to Unidentified Gear upgrading rarity when identified after the change goes through. They only explicitly mentioned the small flat chance of Unids to turn into Exotics when identified. Currently, even with high boosted MF, the chance for a blue Unid to identify into an exotic is pretty low. Can you imagine how awful blue Unids will be if they can only identify into blue gear or an exotic on rare occasion?(Salvaging mostly into low-value T5 mats, sometimes T6, and no Sigil/Rune mats)

@"Crackmonster.2790" said:Well, i think the change is good for the game.

However, let's be real. This is a nerf to stacking factors making lootfarming too easy in newer areas. It is a heavy nerf to farming drop from unid gear like people farm a lot now. Old content was worse, so they had the choice to extend unid gears to it like now - making it somewhat closer to new, instead they chose to do that but also nerf unid gear everywhere bringing down the potential max farming.

So, while i like the change kitten why not just say it honestly why this playing around the facts this is actually manipulation. When people do something good but conceal their true reasons, you don't trust them. You think, why is the shield needed at all, what other shadows moves are they doing. It may work when ppl are too dumb to notice it, but intelligent people aren't fooled and it has a net negative effect. And when it could be explained in a reasonable way, it's just a lose to try to hide it and claim it's something else. Makes me feel distrust even though the change was good! I have high demands for loyalty straightforwardness and honestly in all aspects of life, and because of this, i have peace in my life.

I agree with you. This "improvement" smacks as a true nerf. ANet did not make any effort to explain how the real things will be, this making their affirmations regarding the "improvements" to be questionable at best. And this cannot help ANet too much.

@"eldrjth.7384" said:

Since around the time of the layoffs I find there have been some terrible decision making in general.

I think this is something designed and executed before the layoffs. Fitting wery well what ANet was doing at that time: something to throw to the players creating the illusion they work on GW2, executed with a very low work force and serving ANet purposes. Not GW2 purposes, not players purposes, but ANet. And ANet purpose at that time was to create (at least) another 2 games. In conclusion, this change serves the best interest of another games. The other games are no more on the ANet work (or they still are?), so this purpose has now no real positive meaning. It has however all the nevative implication a nerf has.

To resume the last changes:

• Akill event in Istan "changed" to generate less (a period even zero) champions. ANet stated this is a bug. After a time (other companies can make an expansion in this time) the "bug" was "fixed". The number of champions now is the same as during the "bug" life time.
  • Istan becoming daily, with a fix number of chests to open. This was, according to Anet, an "improvement".
  • After this "improvement" it seems that the reward from Istan was too high. And Anet "normalized" it by reducing the number of Champions spawned during Great Hall event (again the Champions obsession).
  • Not stated explicitly in any patch note but observed by players - it seems that the Volatile magic drops now in lower quantities as before. VM going directly in the wallet, it was hard to claim it is an "improvement" of the QoL - so it seems it was not mentioned.
  • Now, the rewards are even more "improved" - by removing the advantage of the MF from the players. This alone and should be a proof for anyone that this change is NOT an improvement but a NERF. But, even with this, the MF essences drop from any item you salvage. Filling the inventory. And if you destroy it that means ANet gave you a reward not only with a ZERO value, but moreover, annoying you.

As a note: The majority (vast majority) of the Unidentified gear drops from chest at the end of events, hidden chests etc. Already NOT influenced by the MF. By removing the MF influence when opening, that means you remove the MF influence completely - as in Tyria now.

@dasmitchies.7462 said:

If you are referring to the value shown on GW2efficiency: It "crashed" because they are (were?) on offer in the Gem store.

@"Cristalyan.5728" said:

• Akill event in Istan "changed" to generate less (a period even zero) champions. ANet stated this is a bug. After a time (other companies can make an expansion in this time) the "bug" was "fixed". The number of champions now is the same as during the "bug" life time.
  • Istan becoming daily, with a fix number of chests to open. This was, according to Anet, an "improvement".
  • After this "improvement" it seems that the reward from Istan was too high. And Anet "normalized" it by reducing the number of Champions spawned during Great Hall event (again the Champions obsession).
  • Not stated explicitly in any patch note but observed by players - it seems that the Volatile magic drops now in lower quantities as before. VM going directly in the wallet, it was hard to claim it is an "improvement" of the QoL - so it seems it was not mentioned.
  • Now, the rewards are even more "improved" - by removing the advantage of the MF from the players. This alone and should be a proof for anyone that this change is NOT an improvement but a NERF. But, even with this, the MF essences drop from any item you salvage. Filling the inventory. And if you destroy it that means ANet gave you a reward not only with a ZERO value, but moreover, annoying you.

As a note: The majority (vast majority) of the Unidentified gear drops from chest at the end of events, hidden chests etc. Already NOT influenced by the MF. By removing the MF influence when opening, that means you remove the MF influence completely - as in Tyria now.

First of all, this update is a good idea.

But here are some problems that I see:

• Topic map changes: I must agree, that this is a nerf for the currently good farming maps, and players aren't playing bad farming maps, so it is a nerf overall. It is sad to see this 3rd nerf done to Istan in a short period of time. I guess, that the Silverwastes now becomes the top 1 farming map again, though it already is pretty good.
  • Topic stacking unids: Another problem with this change, Arenanet is cutting itself in its own flesh, since bag expansions become now nearly useless, this is the same for big bags and infinite salvaging kits. Also, the problem of full bags was already solved with the sigil/rune update.
  • Topic identifying and MF: I think, the mf influenced identifying of gear was not a problem at all. It is true that players with high mf made a profit from it, but this was also good for low mf players, since crafting materials were cheaper. Furthermore, it was good against currency inflation, since the wares were sold twice in the tp(farming people -> identifying people -> crafting people), resulting in removing 2*15% currency from the game. Now, these benefits are removed.

If this will become a good or bad change, is dependent on balancing in the end. I am very skeptical. I hope it doesn't end like the sigil/rune update, which was a good idea, but poorly balanced. (If you are asking why? The Lucent Motes are junk materials and the crafting costs of runes/sigils are mainly influenced by other material than LM and Symbols/Charms. It should be the other way around.)

@"Lord Alfred.6541" said:Currently, when you are identifying gear, you have a change of an item with higher rarity, influenced by your mf. After the change, this influence of mf is removed. Does it mean, that the chance of a higher rarity item is then equal to the chance with mf of 0? Or is this chance equal to a chance with mf of e.g. 300?

Please don't say 0.

Magic find modifies the base chances. So with "Magic find will no longer affect the results of identifying Unidentified Gear." it will be of course zero influence.

I'm seeing a lot of concern (rightly so) about the impact this change will have on player gold income but until we see actual numbers, post-patch, it's just speculation. What we DO know though is that this change will kill, the already scarcely populated, PoF and LS4 maps. Which is baffling to me since usually MMO devs WANT their latest maps to be the most active. Are there any plans to keep these maps alive?

I am happy with this change.

I doubt that the intention of UnID bags was to force players to hoard stacks upon stacks of bags until they had time to camp out in SW spamming MF boosters and whispering "my precious" as they opened bags.

This change shifts the MF benefit to obtaining the bag, which is a proper use of the stat and promotes playing the game versus golluming in a corner somewhere to max your profit potential (something I am guilty of). It also stands as a net buff to the vast majority of players (who were unable to hit that 900+MF level under the old system).

It also makes inventory management objectively easier across the board which is also a welcome change.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@"Irenio CalmonHuang.2048" said:Greetings, Tyrians!

We’ve been working on a few major changes to loot drops at level 80 which will provide both quality of life improvements and help with the long-term health of the economy. These will go into effect on March 26.

Again a change made for the health of the game economy. ANet? When you will finally acknowledge what you stated in the Manifesto? That this is a game made for the players? And not for TP? Or for the economy? Or for .... anything else you want? But this is a game you made for
players
?

The quality of life change is not an improvement. If you have a drop now in Tyria you can salvage it in one move. After the change, if you want to identify and then you decide to salvage the results, you need two steps. It is this a QoL
improvement
?

• Core Tyria and the Heart of Maguuma regions will now drop Unidentified Gear rather than individual fine, masterwork, and rare items.

• Magic find will no longer affect the results of identifying Unidentified Gear.

Congratulations! Another change made for the players. Especially for the players with maximum MF. From what I remember, before the PoF launch I saw questions regarding the meaning of Unidentified GEar and why it was necessary when we already had a drop system already working. And I remember that the answer from ANet was that this is a feature of the PoF, with Unidentified Gear being affected by MF when identifying the content. Now you remove this feature. Is this an
improvement
?

• Unidentified Gear reward tables are being changed to account for their availability across Tyria, including:

Something is not clear for me:
  1. If you have now a drop in Tyria that drop may be a weapon/armor/junk items. After the change you will receive an Unidentified Gear according to the rarity of the item you could receive?
  2. What happens with the bags/boxes/ ... etc dropped from certain mobs (usually from humanoid mobs). This will be replaced also with Unidentified Gear? What rarity? Or we will still receive the bags?
  3. I will use an example here: By killing spiders, for example, you can receive two things: A venom sac and a junk item. The venom sacs will be replaced by Unidentified gear? Or we will still receive it?
  4. What will happen with the items dropped from the grand chests at the end of an event (or World Boss). We have here one guaranteed rare item (two in some cases). We will receive Unidentified Gear instead of this items?

This means Unidentified Gear has the same value to everyone once it has dropped, regardless of your current magic find.

Thanks again. Great move - it makes the players with max MF very happy. At least, please stop dropping MF essence when salvaging.
This
can be a good QoL improvement.

If you’ve been playing in areas that dropped Unidentified Gear, and you were identifying those items, your overall chances to receive exotic gear and legendary precursors will decrease.
If you’ve been playing in core Tyria or Heart of Thorns maps, your chances for exotic and precursor drops will increase if you choose to identify the Unidentified Gear you find. This equalizes your chances of getting those drops across any part of Tyria you like to play in.

Understood. So, you decrease the chance to receive exotics in PoF. In exchange for this move you made a change (nobody asked for it)
stating
that the drops of exotics will increase in Tyria (but only if we will use the
improvement
of making two operations instead of one). But ANet made so many mistakes in the past statements that I simply cannot believe the part with increased drops in Tyria. Why? Because the reason of this change is the health of the economy and not the players. And because the QoL "improvement" means in Tyria's case in fact a decrease in QoL.

Overall, you’ll get the same amount of loot and won’t have to play inventory wars as much.

So, a global change changing nothing? What was the
real
reason? And NO, at least for Tyria we will have to play our inventory twice as much as now if we want to identify the gear.

Since the economy directly effects everyone that logs in, whether they TP or not, how is this a change directed at the TP? I have to admit, I'm equally confused about how MF is, reading through the responses here, so overwhelmingly nerfed, if the only place it really doesn't apply any more is opening unid loot bags, at least in places where it already works? The functionality seems the same, with only one item type removed from it's tables. It's surely a nerf, but it's not overwhelming, nor does it make MF useless, since it still works every where else it already functions.

If I can get a drop in Core Tyria that I couldn't get before, how is this a decrease in QoL? Because MF won't increase the odds of getting a better drop from a bag that, prior to this, didn't drop at all in Core Tyria? What about the chance of pulling a specific bag in Core Tyria that I couldn't before? Doesn't that actually improve my QoL?

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:What we DO know though is that this change will kill, the already scarcely populated, PoF and LS4 maps. Which is baffling to me since usually MMO devs WANT their latest maps to be the most active. Are there any plans to keep these maps alive?

Why would it kill those maps? The great majority of players is not even aware of MF affecting identifying or doesn't care. Players only on the maps to farm unid items are already "contained" on the farm crazy maps and ignore most of the others.

I think a lot are missing the point on "usefulness" of magic find.

High magic find will increase the chance for an Exotic to "DROP DIRECTLY AS LOOT," not while IDing bags.

Also High magic find will increase the chance of YELLOW UNIDs dropping instead of GREENs or GREENs vs. BLUEs.

So in short, you'll have a better chance to get more yellow and green UNID bags over blues with higher MF.

I hardly see that as "magic find is now useless."

This is a pretty smart move from Anet. Over the years I have saved up 72 Celebration boosters, 37 Birthday boosters, 8 Heroic boosters and 12 Itemboosters that I never dared waste during my adventuring, and exclusively used for either Lucky envelopes or ID-ing stacks of Unid gear in SW with MF of 935%. Off course those boosters would have lasted me 10 lifetimes if I would just keep using them for that. My problem is that I just tend to dabble a lot while adventuring, with only occasional fighting. I find it hard to commit myself to an hour or 2 hours of hardcore grinding(like a RIBA), where such a booster would actually make sense. (NB: I maxed out my MF not by grinding but by buying up humongous amounts of blues and greens on the TP).

But I guess now I will actually have to start using those boosters while I am adventuring, else I will never use them up. And when they are all gone I may have to buy some more at the TP? Will still save a few for the Lucky Envelopes off course. I hope they will not nerf those. :(

@"PeerlessArch.6547" said:I think a lot are missing the point on "usefulness" of magic find.

High magic find will increase the chance for an Exotic to "DROP DIRECTLY AS LOOT," not while IDing bags.

Also High magic find will increase the chance of YELLOW UNIDs dropping instead of GREENs or GREENs vs. BLUEs.

So in short, you'll have a better chance to get more yellow and green UNID bags over blues with higher MF.

Magic find usually applies only to slain foes...but a lot of those bags are given via containers/chests or even event rewards, and thus aren't affected by magic find to start with.And given that magic find won't affect opening them either, then you won't be using magic find at all. So yeah, it's becoming quite less useful.

@Manuhell.2759 said:

@"PeerlessArch.6547" said:I think a lot are missing the point on "usefulness" of magic find.

Magic find usually applies only to slain foes...but a lot of those bags are given via containers/chests or even event rewards, and thus aren't affected by magic find to start with.And given that magic find won't affect opening them either, then you won't be using magic find at all. So yeah, it's becoming quite less useful.

Except that now nearly all mobs will be dropping UnID bags as loot, so the way things "use to be" is no longer relevant.When you kill an enemy, your magic find will determine if you move from junk to blue, blue to green, green to yellow, and yellow to orange.You then get a SECOND chance to move up a tier when you open the UnID bag. This second chance won't be affected by magic find, but is still a second change to move up.