How to balance every single thing that's bad on Engineer [PvP]

Chaith.8256

I might have asked this before, but what about a Core trait that gives Barrier on-hit, but capped at a low value? Kits like Grenade and Flamethrower aren't "bad" per se, but get demolished by any source of retaliation because of multi-hits.

Edit: When I say capped at low value, I mean "You can only have up to X Barrier from this trait at a time."

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Atmaweapon.7345" said:I might have asked this before, but what about a Core trait that gives Barrier on-hit, but capped at a low value? Kits like Grenade and Flamethrower aren't "bad" per se, but get demolished by any source of retaliation because of multi-hits.

Cool idea, but in the absence of retaliation they would stack insane barriers. Edit: I see now what you mean about capping it at a low number. It'd be like perma replenishing 300 barrier. Cool idea.

Flamethrower I suggested to reduce the ticks from 10 to 3 in the whole channelled attack, but each burning as the 10th hit previously did.

Grenades would still be rather retaliation prone.. I think it isn't game breaking just a natural counter.

• 2 weeks later...

@santenal.1054 said:Has any of chaith's suggestions been implemented yet?

Some that were, based on coincidence or not, who knows:

• Orbital command trait: Damage increased.
  • Glob Shot: Velocity increased
  • Elixir H: Both now gives consistent boons when drank and cast time reduced to match other heals.
  • Allowing damage gyros to be affected by player stats. However it was implemented with very stingy scaling, you need to be full glass to notice any slight increases.

There's been some others, I forget though.

• 2 months later...

@Tman.6349 said:Can Necro also get buffs to every single 'bad thing' across every element of the entire class so it can be balanced too?

Seems like the post would be much longer though.

Necro, Revenant, Ele,

These three professions probably have the largest amount of 'bad things' present in their non-elite specializations.

I'm not gonna be making all these threads though.. godspeed to anyone with the desire and understanding

• 4 weeks later...

Updated post to reflect balance changes from March 2019. Mostly deleted redundant suggestions due to Gyro rework making them much stronger overall.

Needed Gyro Nerfs:

Gyros now have a corresponding tooltip icon appear on their buff bar when activating a gyro.

1.) Medic Gyro: Increased pulse healing by 15%. Pulse healing also now only affects the Scrapper at a global 50% reduced rate.

2.) Sneak Gyro: Pulses reduced from 6 to 5, stealth duration reduce per pulse from 3s to 2s. (Total duration reduced from 18s to 10s.)

3.) Bulwark Gyro: No longer grants barrier. No longer transfers damage from allies to the Scrapper. Now grants Bulwark to allies, reducing their damage taken by 33%.

Some pretty real nerfs to solo sustain. Keep in mind Bulwark simultaneously becomes much more reliable of a teamfight skill because it reduces damage instead of transferring it.

I'm still proposing many QoL upgrades to Hammer, Function Gyro, and under appreciated utilities, as well as core buffs that would affect Scrapper.

Overall the design goals are to steer Scrapper away from being a solo bunker and towards meaningful team play and bruiser style damage dealing.

The March 2019 patch made Scrapper too survivable while solo, it's necessary to nerfbat this while simultaneously improving other aspects to re-balance Scrapper as a more well rounded bruiser&support.

@"Chaith.8256" said:3.) Bulwark Gyro: No longer grants barrier. No longer transfers damage from allies to the Scrapper. Now grants Bulwark to allies, reducing their damage taken by 33%, and reduces damage you take by 15%.

The March 2019 patch made Scrapper too survivable while solo, it's necessary to nerfbat this while simultaneously improving other aspects to re-balance Scrapper as a more well rounded bruiser&support.

Two thoughts. First, why not just make the 33% reduction universal? As I recall, ANet changed damage reduction stacking in response to things like Spectrum Shield, so it's not like you're effectively doing anything all that different from having un-removable protection for all of five seconds. Hardly game-breaking, seems in line with what some other professions have, and leaves the scrapper with the resources to stand up to spike damage.

Second, and this is more speculative, I worry that this change would disrupt a developing theme for scrapper, namely its use of barrier both through skills and traits. My assumption is that this is a push by the developers to (finally) give the scrapper spec a more consistent identity and "flavor," for lack of better phrasing. We now have a number of traits that interact with barrier, the active application of which, outside of Bulwark Gyro, is arguably minimal. Shock Shield requires you to "hit" to receive barrier, and the barrier received from Adaptive Armor is minor, even as applied when struck on a three-second interval. Synergy in traits can make certain builds problematically powerful, but I don't see conclusive evidence that we're there yet for scrapper.

Just my two cents.

@Etaoin.4362 said:

@"Chaith.8256" said:3.)
Bulwark Gyro: No longer grants barrier. No longer transfers damage from allies to the Scrapper. Now grants Bulwark to allies, reducing their damage taken by 33%, and reduces damage you take by 15%.

Two thoughts. First, why not just make the 33% reduction universal? As I recall, ANet changed damage reduction stacking in response to things like Spectrum Shield, so it's not like you're effectively doing anything all that different from having un-removable protection for all of five seconds. Hardly game-breaking, seems in line with what some other professions have, and leaves the scrapper with the resources to stand up to spike damage.

Second, and this is more speculative, I worry that this change would disrupt a developing theme for scrapper, namely its use of barrier both through skills and traits. My assumption is that this is a push by the developers to (finally) give the scrapper spec a more consistent identity and "flavor," for lack of better phrasing. We now have a number of traits that interact with barrier, the active application of which, outside of Bulwark Gyro, is arguably minimal. Shock Shield requires you to "hit" to receive barrier, and the barrier received from Adaptive Armor is minor, even as applied when struck on a three-second interval. Synergy in traits can make certain builds problematically powerful, but I don't see conclusive evidence that we're there yet for scrapper.

Just my two cents.

It's not the synergy that's problematically powerful, just Bulwark Gyro while solo in PvP. The evidence is that after losing a teamfight, an expert Scrapper can still hardcore deny a point due to a lengthy 1vX time to kill. That's something you can't really outplay right now, it's different than choosing to rotate 2-3 low damage people to the Scrapper.

As for your suggestion to globally reduce damage by 33% I'm not against it.

@Chaith.8256 said:It's not the synergy that's problematically powerful, just Bulwark Gyro while solo in PvP. The evidence is that after losing a teamfight, an expert Scrapper can still hardcore deny a point due to a lengthy 1vX time to kill. That's something you can't really outplay right now, it's different than choosing to rotate 2-3 low damage people to the Scrapper.

It seems like an easy solution would be to just send one of the scrapper's arguable counters/stalls in that situation, but I'm not up on the sPvP meta-game (I spend more time in WvW), so I'll defer to you on that one.

@Chaith.8256 said:Bulwark Gyro: No longer grants barrier. No longer transfers damage from allies to the Scrapper. Now grants Bulwark to allies, reducing their damage...

Out of curiosity, though, why the push for damage reduction as opposed to just shaving the barrier numbers? Simpler fix, or alternative rationale?

One of the things that i would like to be adressed is the big amount of Projectile hate Scrapper packs in, i simply had to drop the Core Grenadier thanks to their uprising, is impossible to play anything that relies in projectiles.

I ended up playing this previous season Condii Engi, and it only worked out when Scrappers weren't traiting Purity of Purpose, otherwise, yep, unkillable status here.

@Etaoin.4362 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:It's not the synergy that's problematically powerful, just Bulwark Gyro while solo in PvP. The evidence is that after losing a teamfight, an expert Scrapper can still hardcore deny a point due to a lengthy 1vX time to kill. That's something you can't really outplay right now, it's different than choosing to rotate 2-3 low damage people to the Scrapper.

It seems like an easy solution would be to just send one of the scrapper's arguable counters/stalls in that situation, but I'm not up on the sPvP meta-game (I spend more time in WvW), so I'll defer to you on that one.

@Chaith.8256 said:Bulwark Gyro: No longer grants barrier. No longer transfers damage from allies to the Scrapper. Now grants Bulwark to allies, reducing their damage...

Out of curiosity, though, why the push for damage reduction as opposed to just shaving the barrier numbers? Simpler fix, or alternative rationale?

So how PvP works is that you win the fights in order to free cap points. If you invest cooldowns and outnumber a fight, managing to win, having that point stalemated instead of capped after winning the fight, that's a huge loss, not a neutral scenario. That's because you were outnumbered elsewhere, and you lost those objectives

I believe I explained my rationale behind bulwark suggestions, to nerf the 1vX capabilities of Scrapper while improving it in scenarios where it's supporting others instead of solo.

Not getting barrier is intended to be a nerf. I'm not trying to suggest synergy or a break even in 1vX ability, but rather a nerf for this ability. My other varied suggestions to improve function gyro and hammer kind of combo with it.

@Ivantreil.3092 said:One of the things that i would like to be adressed is the big amount of Projectile hate Scrapper packs in, i simply had to drop the Core Grenadier thanks to their uprising, is impossible to play anything that relies in projectiles.

I ended up playing this previous season Condii Engi, and it only worked out when Scrappers weren't traiting Purity of Purpose, otherwise, yep, unkillable status here.

Right.. Scrapper certainly walls your core spec but I'm not certain if running a spec vs. ample counters saturating the enemy team necessarily means those counters should be nerfed. It usually means to not play projectiles vs. Projectile hate when your class doesn't have Unstoppable Union, Signet of Might, and projectile hate-hate.

Edit: I don't know if Scrapper's defense field and Electro whirl are that crazy compared to Ele's Focus air #4, earth #4, and overall magnetic aura access, or Firebrand's tome of courage alone, even without wall of reflection

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Ivantreil.3092 said:One of the things that i would like to be adressed is the big amount of Projectile hate Scrapper packs in, i simply had to drop the Core Grenadier thanks to their uprising, is impossible to play anything that relies in projectiles.

Right.. Scrapper certainly walls your core spec but I'm not certain if running a spec vs. ample counters saturating the enemy team necessarily means those counters should be nerfed. It usually means to not play projectiles vs. Projectile hate when your class doesn't have Unstoppable Union, Signet of Might, and projectile hate-hate.

Edit: I don't know if Scrapper's defense field and Electro whirl are that crazy compared to Ele's Focus air #4, earth #4, and overall magnetic aura access, or Firebrand's tome of courage alone, even without wall of reflection

Projectiles are in a pretty bad spot overall.

• They're ok vs classes with no projectile hate - about equal in damage to other types of attacks
  • They're kinda bad vs classes with projectile hate, but you can still play around this by holding your projectiles when they have their reflects/cancels up
  • They're terrible in fights with multiple classes with projectile hate. You can barely find a window to deal any projectile damage
  • They're literally unplayable in a large fight, as there are so many classes with projectile hate there is NO window to deal projectile damage at all

It only takes 4-5 scrappers or firebrands to completely nullify all projectiles indefinitely.

Why are projectiles hated so badly but other forms of damage aren't? Why is a Grenade Barrage easily reflected or canceled but a Coalescense of Ruin passes through everything?

@coro.3176 said:

Projectiles are in a pretty bad spot overall.
  • They're ok vs classes with no projectile hate - about equal in damage to other types of attacks
  • They're kinda bad vs classes with projectile hate, but you can still play around this by holding your projectiles when they have their reflects/cancels up
  • They're terrible in fights with multiple classes with projectile hate. You can barely find a window to deal any projectile damage
  • They're literally unplayable in a large fight, as there are so many classes with projectile hate there is NO window to deal projectile damage at all

It only takes 4-5 scrappers or firebrands to completely nullify all projectiles indefinitely.

Why are projectiles hated so badly but other forms of damage aren't? Why is a Grenade Barrage easily reflected or canceled but a Coalescense of Ruin passes through everything?

Yes I agree with your assessment 100%.

Most projectile classes get some sort of projectile hate-hate mechanic (unblockable for X seconds), or have a good amount of their ranged kit damage skills not count as projectiles. IE: Every skill on Mesmer Greatsword, and Revenant's Hammer #2-#5.

So I think it may be time to standardize that a bit more, and give Core Engi something to do during projectile hate phases instead of take their hands off of the keyboard. Maybe the ability to invest in unblockable Mortar shots.

• 7 months later...

Most of the suggestions are pretty solid. They’re modest, but at least add some backbone to the core class.

One change that I’m more on the fence over would be Autodefense Bomb Dispenser essentially granting a form of passive AoE stealth. While I know how reliant the class was on the prior auto-S in sPvP, I think the trait should have an active portion to it. It could be something as simple as adding a weak bonus effect when using combo finishers in fields.

All in all, I like the majority of the suggestions in the updated OP. I hope CMC and the others involved in balance can incorporate at least some of these.

@"Chaith.8256" said:Updated November 2019

Here's what it would take to create near perfect build diversity across Core Engineer, Scrapper, and Holosmith in PvP primarily, but also keeping other game modes in mind. Strap in, have fun imagining all these new toys and builds to play with.

Disclaimer, these are the changes I think are necessary to individually bring each dead skill or trait into a balanced side-grade, or part of a brand new build, and do this with the least amount of functionality changes. For Holosmith and Scrapper, before any suggestions should be considered, first assume all of my suggested nerfs have taken place.

This thread is a no power creep zone, that means not raising the current strongest PvP builds past their current limit.

Core Engineer:

General Changes: Projectile changes: Thrown Elixirs, Med Kits, these are now ALL unblockable.

Weapon Skills1.) Pistol #1: Fragmentation shot increased damage by 20%. Is now an explosion. Fragmentation Shot now bleeds on the 120 radius explosion instead of the projectile. Decreased aftercasts so an attack roughly fires every .5s.

2.) Pistol #2: Poison Dart Volley Is now piercing. Increased damage by 20%. Now applies .75s of weakness per dart, in addition to its previous effects. Removed projectile spread.

Kits1.) Toolkit #2. Box of Nails increased Radius from 240 to 300. Cripple increases from 2s to 3s per pulse. Cast time reduced from 3/4s to 1/2s

2.) Toolkit #3: Pry Bar Damage increased by 15%.

3.) Elixir Gun #1: Tranquilizer Dart Bleeding removed and bleeding numbers re-added to the base damage. PuRiTy of PuRpOsE

4.) Elixir Gun #2: Glob Shot cooldown reduced to 5s from 8s, grants 4s swiftness to the Engineer for each target hit. Damage increased by 15%. Now homes in on the initial target and bounces between enemies only. This change will allow invigorating speed to be reliably harnessed by core/scrapper.

5.) Elixir Gun #3: Poison duration increased from 2 to 4 seconds. No longer tracks targets, rather fires in a frontal cone.

6.) Elixir Gun #4: Acid Bomb damage increased by 15%

7.) Flamethrower #1: Reduced amount of strikes from 10 to 3. Each strike causes burning, like how the 10th hit previously did.

8.) Flamethrower #4: Napalm, this skill now destroys enemy projectiles.

9.) Flamethrower toolbelt: Skills used while under the effects of Incendiary Ammunition are unblockable. In Pvp/WvW, Incendiary Ammo cooldown decreased from 50s to 30s to be more in line with push toward slow, ramping damage changes.

8.) Flamethrower #5: Smoke vent, this skill has two ammunition. (2s ICD between charges.)

9.) Med Kit #2: Bandage blast, reduced bandages launched from 5 to 3. Drastically increased the hitbox of bandage projectiles and tightened spread. Un-used bandages at the end of the arc will spawn on the ground for 5 seconds.**

10.) Bomb Kit #2: Fire Bomb's pulses apply 2 burning instead of one in PvP and WvW

11.) Bomb Kit #5: All Glue Bomb pulses will immobilize enemies, not just the initial pulse - however, each target may only be affected by the immobilize once. Puddle duration increased to 5 seconds.

12.) Bomb Kit Toolbelt: Big Ol' Bomb now unblockable, suggestion by Zex Anthon.8673.

13.) Mortar Toolbelt: Orbital strike Toolbelt skill damage increased by 40%.

Turret Related Changes:1.) General Turret changes:

• Turrets deliver a short point-blank knockback on death (120 distance).
  • Reduce Thumper, Rocket, Net Turret cooldown to 20s.
  • Thumper Turret will only Knock up foes once when placed, instead of twice.
  • Supply Crate CD reduced to 90s.
  • Turrets no longer auto-attack.
  • Cooldown starts immediately on use so they're always of some use to keep alive.
  • Removed functionality to pick up turrets & reduce cooldown.
  • Turret duration reduced to 10s before detonating.
  • Flame Turret Overcharge, overcharges immediately, in addition to its blind effect, Smoke Screen burns enemies on the same interval. Added burning pitch gfx to the smokescreen.
  • Rifle Turret Overcharge, instead of firing faster for 10s, rapid-fire 10 shots over 3 seconds.
  • Toolbelt skills for Thumper Turret & Net Turret - reduced from 38s to 25s.
  • Toolbelt skill for Flame Turret, Throw Napalm, radius increased from 180 to 240.
  • Toolbelt skill for Rocket Turret, Rocket, velocity increased 50%.

2.) Experimental Turrets: Rocket Turret's Retaliation increased from 3 to 5 seconds. Healing Turret Vigor increased from 3 to 5 seconds. Flame Turret's might stacks increased from 3 to 5 stacks. In addition to its current effects, if a turret reaches the end of its 10s lifespan, the turret performs an overcharged attack as a parting gift. Reflective shields activate without delay, but are reduced to 2s duration.

Utility Skills1.) Utility Goggles: Currently: Break stuns, gain fury and immunity to blind for ten seconds. New: Break stuns, gain fury and immunity to all debilitating conditions (blind, weakness, vulnerability.) Lesser Utility Goggles will not receive this upgrade.

2.) Personal Battering Ram: Currently: Launches foe, 130 range. New: Target limit increased to 5, and range of Ram attack extended to 450. No longer tracks targets, rather fires in a frontal cone.

3.) Slick Shoes: Currently: Spray oil, knocking enemies down for 2 seconds, affects once per target. New: Given two ammunition, ammunition recharge, 20 seconds. 2s ICD between using ammunition. (Note: Each use of Slick Shoes still only affects an enemy once.)

4.) Throw Mine: Currently: Throw a mine that damages, knocks back, and removes a boon. New: Instead of removing a boon, Throw mine can only remove stability.

5.) Mine Field: Currently: Plant 5 mines around yourself. New: Instead, place a 300 radius field on the ground that lasts for 5 seconds. At every 1 second interval where a foe within the field is moving, a mine explodes on their position. Maximum 2 explosions per second. (Note: The mine's damage, radius, and boon remove effects are the same as the current Mine Field mines.)

6.) Toss Elixir R: Currently: Remove conditions and Revive allies. New: Cooldown Reduced from 90s to 75s, now actually removes one condition per pulse.

Elite Skills

1.) Elixir X: New: Drink Elixir X to become a monstrous alchemical being. (Bar icon mouseover: Test Subject X). Transform looks like a potion/alchemy re-skinned version of: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Subject_Alpha.jpg . Engineers while transformed into Test Subject X gain 2,000 toughness and vitality, a similar durability compared to Rampage. Stability x2, 3s, boon interval: 3s.

• 1 "Thrash", 1/2s cast, 120 range, Damage: 244 (1.6), Number of targets: 3. -> "Hammer Fist", 1/2s cast, 120 range, Damage: 244 (1.6), Number of targets: 3. -> "Brutalize" 1s cast, 120 range, Damage: 304 (2.0), Number of targets: 3, launches foes upwards for 1 second.

• 2 "Liquefy", dissolve and surge toward a foe, reappearing with a cloud of steam, blinding foes. 3/4s cast. Evade: 1s. 5 second cooldown. 600 range

• 3 "Rapid Metamorphosis", Sharp bone erupts from the skin, granting yourself retaliation, (3s) resistance (3s) and cause each hit in the next 3 seconds to apply bleeding and cripple. Bleed, 6s. Cripple, 1s 1/2s cast. 6 second cooldown.

• 4 "Spine Barrage", Fire a cluster of arcing spines at a target area, damaging foes. 1/2s cast. 9s cooldown. 240 radius area. 900 range. 770 (2.0) damage. (8 simultaneous hits) If under the effect of Rapid Metamorphosis, projectiles are empowered to immobilize those struck for 2 seconds. (Grenade barrage like ability.)

• 5 "Toxic eruption," Launch and poison foes in a cone with a forceful blast of hazardous waste. 1+1/4s cast. 9 second cooldown. 450 range frontal cone. 532 (2.0) damage. 3 Poison, 10 seconds. Number of targets: 5. (Chaotic release-like ability.)

Healing Skills

1.) Toss Elixir H: **New: Instead of its current effects, Toss Elixir H will create a 240 radius light field that pulses 4x, duration 3s, removing 1 condition from allies and healing for 319 per pulse.

2.) Bandage Self: New: Cast time reduced to .75s to be consistent with other heals.

Core Engineer Traits

General trait changes:Explosives 'Short Fuse' trait no longer has cooldown reduction for bombs.

Explosives

1.) Orbital Command: Currently: when striking enemies below 50%, cast a lesser orbital strike.New: In addition to its current effects, Increased the velocity of Mortar shots by 50%.

Firearms1.) Juggernaut: Currently: Gain might and stability while wielding a flamethrower. New: Effect extended to Bomb Kit and Grenade Kit.

2.) Serrated Steel: Currently: Bleeding duration increased by 33%. New: In addition to its previous effects, inflicting Bleeding on a Target will also inflict torment (5s) (1s ICD)

3.) Incendiary Powder: Cooldown decreased from 10s to 5s to be more in line with push toward ramping condition damage over time.

Inventions1.) Automated Medical Response: Currently: Heal skills recharged when you're struck below 25% health. New: When you begin to revive an ally, an Elixir R is tossed on their position.

2.) Autodefense Bomb Dispenser: Currently: Drop a smoke bomb when disabled. In addition to its previous effects, all Smoke Bomb effects empowered to grant 3 seconds of stealth to up to 5 allies on the first pulse.

3.) Soothing Detonation: Currently: Blast combo finishers heal nearby allies for a small amount. New: Instead, successful Blast finisher combos grant regeneration and create an additional Blast combo: Water. 2s ICD added.

4.) Energy Amplifier: Currently: When you are under the effects of Regeneration, gain +250 healing. New: In addition to its previous effects, your healing to allies is increased by 5/10/15% for each 25/50/75% target's health missing.

5.) Bunker down, now Elixir Infused Bombs Currently: Bombs have shorter fuse time and 20% reduced recharge. New: In addition to its current effects, bomb explosions heal allies 145 (.15).

Alchemy

1.) Backpack Regenerator: Currently: Recover health each second while in an Engineering kit. New: Healing reduced to 80 per second, down from 117. Using a skill in a kit grants the stacking buff for 5 seconds, one stack per unique kit. Regeneration effect stacks up to 3 times.

Tools:

1.) Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 20 seconds of swiftness. 20s Global ICD on gaining the swiftness portion, but each kit has a separate 20s ICD for the condition removal.

Class mechanic changes:

Function Gyro as a class mechanic needs to be more flexible should there not be a need for stomping/reviving. Having Function Gyro do damage and call down a lightning field was a good first step.

Bug Fix: Function Gyro will be defeated only when successfully interrupted. Key word being successfully.

Function Gyro: You gain access to the Function Gyro which can be used to damage or finish foes, and grant barrier to or revive allies.

• Function Gyro now grants 2000 barrier to allies when cast.
  • Using Function Gyro on a targeted ally will order your gyro to their aid instead, and apply "Overdrive"
  • Overdrive, periodically gain quickness, superspeed, and barrier. Duration: 2s per pulse, 3 pulses, 2000 barrier per pulse.

Hammer:

1.) Increased the range of the Hammer Auto-Attack from 130 to170

2.) Electro Whirl's reflecting effect activates immediately.

3.) Rocket Charge now evades for the entire animation instead of 3 miniature evades, added 3s of cripple per hit. Damage reduced by 20% to compensate.

4.) Shock shield now provides a barrier to allies as well as the Scrapper, the barrier for other allies would be stronger: appr. 400/pulse.

5.) Thunderclap now inflicts 3 vulnerability per pulse, up from 1.

Utility skills1.) Medic Gyro: Reconstruction Field instant to return to consistency with Defense Field.

2.) Shredder Gyro: No longer creates whirl finishers. Now, each strike from shredder gyro rends the protection boon from enemies, and applies 2 vulnerability for 6s

3.) Spare Capacitor: Dazes over the 4 pulses, daze duration reduced from 2s to .5s. Damage tripled, current damage is non-existent

Traits

1.) Damage Dampener - No longer delays damage by 2 seconds. New: Incoming damage reduced by 20% while superspeed is active.

2.) Expert Examination - Trait removed and replaced. New: High Performance Alloy - Activated Gyros grant protection to nearby allies. 3s Protection, 240 radius.

Holosmith

Yes, nerf suggestions first.

Additional Holosmith Nerf Suggestions:

Corona Burst: No longer "charges up" and detonates faster when used with Quickness. Quickness still properly affects the initial cast time.Corona Burst: Vulnerability per Strike reduced from 8 to 5 in PvP.

Disclaimer: Low Priority changes ahead. Holosmith has two good configurations in PvP but like every spec has lots of janky utilities and overly niche traits, like a trait only good for running Yaks. A few shaves to overly good traits included.

Utility Skills1.) Coolant Blast - Always grants additional small heal over time. New above high heat threshold effect: Vents 25 heat. No longer chills or applies frost aura.

Traits1.) Solar Focusing Lens: Currently: First few attacks after entering Photon Forge or Overheating do 10% more damage and burn. New: In addition to its current effects, prevents the Engineer from suffering from the self damage over time component of overheating. (Note: This trait combined with Photonic Blasting Module will allow you to take no damage from Overheating.)

2.) New Suggestion for Crystal Configuration: Storm:

Crystal Configuration: Storm: - Increased range and added explosive nature on Photon Forge abilities.

• Photon Forge#1 Chain: Range increased to 900. Explosive beam attack, not projectiles. 10% damage reduction removed.
  • Holo Leap: Range of attack increased to 900 from 600. Movement remains same at 450. Explosion.
  • Corona Burst: Changed to throw an arcing projectile (ground targeted AoE skill) with 900 range. Explosion.
  • Photon Blitz: Range increased to 900 from 600. Explosive projectile.
  • Holographic Shockwave: Changed to a ground targeted AoE skill with 900 range, Explosion.

4.) Crystal Configuration: Zephyr - Currently: Holo Leap removes movement impairing conditions and grants superspeed instead of swiftness. New: Instead of granting superspeed instead of swiftness, increases the attack range of Holo leap from 600 to 900, (travel distance of Holo Leap from 450 to 750.) Adds .75s evade to Holo Leap. This trait increases the cooldown of Holo Leap to 5s, and increases swiftness duration to 5s.

5) Photonic Blasting Module: New: In addition to its current effects, while overheated, all heat % bonuses are energized to the highest tier available to the skill and heat immediately starts to vent at 10 heat per second.

Pistol 1 and 2, Kreygasm.

FT 1, I'm on the fence about. I can see both sides to this. on one hand, it ensures good damage from landing at least one hit, as well as burning. On the other, it makes it harder to chew through things like blind spam and that one skill that Guardians have that blocks the next 3 attacks. I'm 50/50 on it, it's definitely a cool suggestion and could be Poggers.

Incendiary Powder and Ammo changes, Kreygasm.

Hammer 2 changes, OMEGAGASM

Hammer 3 changes, pls res me from my satisfied death.

Very interesting function gyro change suggestions, would 2k barrier be a little much? maybe 1.5k per? The death upon successful interruption is 100% needed, hate that it still currently dies even when it has stab, so dumb.

Expert exam removal in place of gyros granting Prot, Pog.

Bunker Down, I like how it is currently, though I personally think they should get rid of the medpack ordeal, and just apply a unique buff with its icon that heals over a given time for a specific amount. Like maybe 180-200 health gained per sec over 3 seconds.

New one for Reconstruction Enclosure: When you or your allies receive healing, gain Protection and Regeneration.Regen: 4sProt: 2sICD: 10s

New one for Over Shield: Shield skills have reduced cooldowns. Additionally, when struck with a critical hit, gain Protection.Shield skills cd reduce: 20%Prot: 2sICD: 15s

Very interesting changes, i likey.

• 2 months later...

Updated JAN 2020

Scrapper:

1.) System Shocker - No longer increases the effectiveness of finishers in lightning fields - now adds 2 more pulses to the Scrapper's lightning fields. Increased Daze Duration from 1s to 2s upon calling down Function Gyro.

2.) Damage Dampener - No longer delays damage by 2 seconds. New: Reduce damage taken by 15% while under the effects of Superspeed.

3.) Expert Examination - Your lightning fields daze foes at or above the vulnerability threshold. 1/2s daze, threshold: 6. Interval: 1s. (Includes Tornado Lightning Field)

Holosmith:

Hard Light Arena - Skill is now instant - this is to ensure Holosmiths don't have their entire defensive kit bypassed by chain CC.

Photonic Blasting Module: New: In addition to its current effects, PBM allows use of Toolbelt skills while overheated - while overheated, all heat % bonuses are energized to the highest tier available to the skill and heat immediately starts to vent at 10 heat per second.