How to not die - "Rapid Fire" (meme edition)

Zexanima.7851

I've seen more than a few times people make references to the infamous ranger Longbow #2 skill Rapid Fire when talking about how powerful ranger is.Fire multiple arrows at your foe.Damage (10x): 1,44010xVulnerability (10s)Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile (20% chance)Range: 1,500(actually closer to 1800)

H3b8eqZ.gif

It's usually something to the effect of "Look how strong this one shot build is! Nerf ranger (or buff my profession)". Fear not though! No buffs or nerfs are needed(in this case), just some know-how. I don't claim to be an expert at this game but as far as this skill goes I can help some people out.

Why does it seem so powerful?Usually when you get deleted by this skill it's a soulbeast running a build similar to this Sic' em sniper build. The combo goes something like this:

1. Quickening Zephyr (6s quickness)
  2. Meld with pet for Unstoppable Union(4s unblockable, also adds +100 power and +200 ferocity)
  3. Sic' em (10s of 40% increased damage and movement speed)
  4. LB #4 (knock back)
  5. LB #2 (DEATH)

Ouch! All that damage, so fast(1 1/4 seconds with quickness), while knocked down, AND unblockable? What is one to do! It's actually not all that hard to deal with.

General IdeaThis is a channeled skill, though fast with quickness. You DO have plenty of time to react and mitigate damage. It is not one shot, it is not instant.

DO

dodge...dodge the LB#4 if you see the ranger coming. If you don't, break the stun! If you just wait for your character to take their precious time standing back up you'll be dead (or almost dead) before they reach their feet. This is not a whole lot different than getting hit by say a warriors Bull's Charge into Hundred Blades. If you don't have stun break up, pop an invuln skill. If you don't have one of those, blink away/behind cover. If you don't have any skills like that off CD then you need to manage your CD's and positioning better.

T096pyL.jpg...interrupt them. This would stop the LB #2 and put them on the defensive.

FJxc9.jpg...evade, self explanatory.

...pressure them after avoiding it, don't give them a chance to use it again. When they switch from GS to LB again (assuming they live that long) they will most likely immediately try to LB #4 to get distance from you. So when you see this switch, doge!

! HeGEEbu.jpg

DO NOT

hrSrrBd.gif?noredirect...run away (unless you are completely sure you have the blinks/shadowstep for it). With their increased movement speed and other movement abilities they WILL catch you and be pegging you with their LB autos the whole time if you survive LB #2. If you run way you are giving them distance which is what they want. If they happen to have marksmanship slotted this means they will do even MORE damage to you. (This is with the caveat they're not sitting in a team of enemies, in which case, you probably should be in your own team or not there at all)

M0Rq4Tp.png...block/reflect. Remember, they will mostly likely have unstoppable union. It's not worth the gamble, best just to evade/dodge/blink in the first place. Save block for when they switch to great sword and their unblockedable is on cooldown.

LuSr41O.png...stealth. You can't even if you wanted to because of the reveal on Sic' em, even if you use deadeye ult and remove it it will still track you in stealth. By the time you try and fail, you're dead.

It seems like too much power for little effort at first glace, but it's not that hard to avoid. The rangers running this build most likely don't have much more up their sleeve after so just counter pressure and win. How to fight a ranger is a whole other topic.

@Zexanima.7851 said:This is not a whole lot different than getting hit by say a warriors Bull's Charge into Hundred Blades.

Now I'm imagining Warrior's Bullcharging into people from 2000 range within 0.1 seconds, for an unblockable burst. Now that's hilarious.

@Zexanima.7851 said:If you don't have stun break up, pop an invuln skill. If you don't have one of those, blink away/behind cover. If you don't have any skills like that off CD then you need to manage your CD's and positioning better.

Or not play Necromancer, I guess.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:I've seen more than a few times people make references to the infamous ranger Longbow #2 skill Rapid Fire when talking about how powerful ranger is.Fire multiple arrows at your foe.Damage (10x): 1,44010xVulnerability (10s)Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile (20% chance)Range: 1,500(actually closer to 1800)

H3b8eqZ.gif

It's usually something to the effect of "Look how strong this one shot build is! Nerf ranger (or buff my profession)". Fear not though! No buffs or nerfs are needed(in this case), just some know-how. I don't claim to be an expert at this game but as far as this skill goes I can help some people out.

Why does it seem so powerful?Usually when you get deleted by this skill it's a soulbeast running a build similar to this Sic' em sniper build. The combo goes something like this:

2. Meld with pet for Unstoppable Union(4s unblockable, also adds +100 power and +200 ferocity)
  4. LB #4 (knock back)
  5. LB #2 (DEATH)

Ouch! All that damage, so fast(1 1/4 seconds with quickness), while knocked down, AND unblockable? What is one to do! It's actually not all that hard to deal with.

General IdeaThis is a channeled skill, though fast with quickness. You DO have plenty of time to react and mitigate damage. It is not one shot, it is not instant.

DO

dodge...dodge the LB#4 if you see the ranger coming. If you don't, break the stun! If you just wait for your character to take their precious time standing back up you'll be dead (or almost dead) before they reach their feet. This is not a whole lot different than getting hit by say a warriors Bull's Charge into Hundred Blades. If you don't have stun break up, pop an invuln skill. If you don't have one of those, blink away/behind cover. If you don't have any skills like that off CD then you need to manage your CD's and positioning better.

T096pyL.jpg...interrupt them. This would stop the LB #2 and put them on the defensive.

...pressure them after avoiding it, don't give them a chance to use it again. When they switch from GS to LB again (assuming they live that long) they will most likely immediately try to LB #4 to get distance from you. So when you see this switch, doge!

!
HeGEEbu.jpg

DO NOT

hrSrrBd.gif?noredirect

...run away (unless you are completely sure you have the blinks/shadowstep for it). With their increased movement speed and other movement abilities they WILL catch you and be pegging you with their LB autos the whole time if you survive LB #2. If you run way you are giving them distance which is what they want. If they happen to have marksmanship slotted this means they will do even MORE damage to you. (This is with the caveat they're not sitting in a team of enemies, in which case, you probably should be in your own team or not there at all)

M0Rq4Tp.png

...block/reflect. Remember, they will mostly likely have unstoppable union. It's not worth the gamble, best just to evade/dodge/blink in the first place. Save block for when they switch to great sword and their unblockedable is on cooldown.

LuSr41O.png

...stealth. You can't even if you wanted to because of the reveal on Sic' em, even if you use deadeye ult and remove it it will still track you in stealth. By the time you try and fail, you're dead.

It seems like too much power for little effort at first glace, but it's not that hard to avoid. The rangers running this build most likely don't have much more up their sleeve after so just counter pressure and win. How to fight a ranger is a whole other topic.

Great post but people who don't know how to play will still cry about it.

Literally just on the PvP forum a guy cries about sic em ranger as well as basically all the other classes he loses to and wants them nerfed lol.

Basically the GW2 community: "What?! I lost a fight against a [[insert profession name here]]!!! Nerf it!"

Now, I do admit that sometimes there might be some over the top traits and skills, but there are always ways around.Also, of course if some people discover that a spec is sudently powerful, there will be people in mass that will play it and abuse it. That's just normal.

Nowadays, the forums isn't even a place to talk about the game, it's just a nerf commission center.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:I've seen more than a few times people make references to the infamous ranger Longbow #2 skill Rapid Fire when talking about how powerful ranger is.Fire multiple arrows at your foe.Damage (10x): 1,44010xVulnerability (10s)Combo Finisher: Physical Projectile (20% chance)Range: 1,500(actually closer to 1800)

H3b8eqZ.gif

4. LB #4 (knock back)
  5. LB #2 (DEATH)

DO

!
HeGEEbu.jpg

DO NOT

hrSrrBd.gif?noredirect

...run away (unless you are completely sure you have the blinks/shadowstep for it). With their increased movement speed and other movement abilities they WILL catch you and be pegging you with their LB autos the whole time if you survive LB #2. If you run way you are giving them distance which is what they want. If they happen to have marksmanship slotted this means they will do even MORE damage to you. (This is with the caveat they're not sitting in a team of enemies, in which case, you probably should be in your own team or not there at all)

M0Rq4Tp.png

...block/reflect. Remember, they will mostly likely have unstoppable union. It's not worth the gamble, best just to evade/dodge/blink in the first place. Save block for when they switch to great sword and their unblockedable is on cooldown.

LuSr41O.png

...stealth. You can't even if you wanted to because of the reveal on Sic' em, even if you use deadeye ult and remove it it will still track you in stealth. By the time you try and fail, you're dead.

It's really not that hard. I play soulbeast myself, but not the 1shot build. Although I do use longbow. I fight these 1 shot rangers all the time.Dodge dodge dodge, swap weapons to dodge more ( sigil of energy), then block, wait for their stability to run out.. and then CC them and kill them. They only have like 8 seconds of stability every 60 seconds so they should be super easy to kill. If they have dolyak stance, their dmg isn't going to be as high as they are lacking something else.In any case, once their 1shot combo is over or sicem reveal is gone and you're still alive, they are pretty much dead if you want them to be. They have no defense. Most good rangers don't play this build cus it's just a gimmick.

Great I dodges lb2.Now enemy SB penetrates me with 6-10k autoattacks from 1500+ range.

The whole buff thing into pewpewpew isn't why ranger is freaking strong, or overpowered.

Now people often come up with "but I have to be full glass cannon.

Yeah maybe, but there isn't a single build with a 1500range teleport to get close to such rangers.Also the ranger still has so much mobility, that it's always pretty easy to run away, as soon as the enemy gets near you.

And btw. I'm necro main, I don't have invincible skills or dodges on skills

@"Nimon.7840" said:Great I dodges lb2.Now enemy SB penetrates me with 6-10k autoattacks from 1500+ range.

The whole buff thing into pewpewpew isn't why ranger is freaking strong, or overpowered.

Yeah maybe, but there isn't a single build with a 1500range teleport to get close to such rangers.Also the ranger still has so much mobility, that it's always pretty easy to run away, as soon as the enemy gets near you.

And btw. I'm necro main, I don't have invincible skills or dodges on skillsRanger is the worste match up for necro, true. That's more what necro is lacking and not really that ranger is too strong.

@"Nimon.7840" said:Great I dodges lb2.Now enemy SB penetrates me with 6-10k autoattacks from 1500+ range.

You're playing Necro. That's the problem. Lol. Pretty much all necro builds will lose to soulbeast.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

And btw. I'm necro main, I don't have invincible skills or dodges on skillsRanger is the worste match up for necro, true. That's more what necro is lacking and not really that ranger is too strong.

You're playing Necro. That's the problem. Lol. Pretty much all necro builds will lose to soulbeast.

Sure necro is weak against long range attacks.

But that's exactly the point.The soulbeast oneshot build that goes around right now doesn't have a big weakness

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Nimon.7840 said:Great I dodges lb2.Now enemy SB penetrates me with 6-10k autoattacks from 1500+ range.

@Nimon.7840 said:Great I dodges lb2.Now enemy SB penetrates me with 6-10k autoattacks from 1500+ range.

But that's exactly the point.The soulbeast oneshot build that goes around right now doesn't have a big weakness

It does have a big weakness. Most classes have some kinda dmg mitigation or at least being able to survive the initial burst. After that the 1shot soulbeast basically has nothing left. He has his weapon swap but his utilities are gone.. no stab.. no dmg immunity ( unless he uses SoS but that sucks anyway )

@bigo.9037 said:

It does have a big weakness. Most classes have some kinda dmg mitigation or at least being able to survive the initial burst. After that the 1shot soulbeast basically has nothing left. He has his weapon swap but his utilities are gone.. no stab.. no dmg immunity ( unless he uses SoS but that sucks anyway )

That's not really a weakness. LolYou can run away, reset, try to burst again.Where is this a weakness?I'd love to do that with my necro.

You even can get dmg immunities as ranger while still doing insane burst dmg and having maybe one of the best mobility in the game

@Nimon.7840 said:

That's not really a weakness. LolYou can run away, reset, try to burst again.Where is this a weakness?I'd love to do that with my necro.

You even can get dmg immunities as ranger while still doing insane burst dmg and having maybe one of the best mobility in the game

Ofc you can reset against a necro. But whenever I fight these 1 shot rangers ( ofc they tend to get me the first time cus I'm not always expecting it, or if I'm busy fighting someone else and they show up ) I literally just dodge enough of their burst to stay above 50% health and then kill them with no issue. I see other classes like holo do that to them as well. And vs warrior their build doesn't work cus of passive EP

@bigo.9037 said:

Ofc you can reset against a necro. But whenever I fight these 1 shot rangers ( ofc they tend to get me the first time cus I'm not always expecting it, or if I'm busy fighting someone else and they show up ) I literally just dodge enough of their burst to stay above 50% health and then kill them with no issue. I see other classes like holo do that to them as well. And vs warrior their build doesn't work cus of passive EP

If a ranger looses a 1v1 right now in wvw.Either the ranger player was freaking bad or the opponent just much much much better.

Rapid fire can do around 34k dmg. (And you still have time after that to autoattack for 6-8k per auto)That's killing low health classes 3 times, medium 2 times and even against high health classes that's easily enough to kill them from a range, that no other class has counterplay to other than popping invincibility.

So guaranteed kill, Even if you dodge once. That is op. You have to admit that."But every class has 2 dodges" - so what? Ranger is still 5kilometers away you won't reach the ranger.Mobility wise.no other class has more mobility than ranger. Ok maybe thief.

We aren't talking about the necro-soulbeast matchup.As a ranger you can reset against any other class.You can always choose, if you want to fight or if you don't.And if you choose to fight, the fight is over in 3seconds.

Either you oneshot enemy or you didn't manage to do it, run away and try again in 30seconds, or choose to kill another target.

Mobility of GS and beastmode with a bird = insane distance traveledGS can block as well. You can even take stone signet and still to lots of dmg.

So way enough time to get to a keep or tower to hide in.

If you can't make it..... Oh did I mention bad player?

And there's not just that one build, that is really freaking strong.

There are several other builds (3more to be precise) that have almost no counterplay available as well.

If you think that isn't op. I think you don't know the meaning of "op"

@Nimon.7840 said:

If a ranger looses a 1v1 right now in wvw.Either the ranger player was freaking bad or the opponent just much much much better.

Rapid fire can do around 34k dmg. (And you still have time after that to autoattack for 6-8k per auto)That's killing low health classes 3 times, medium 2 times and even against high health classes that's easily enough to kill them from a range, that no other class has counterplay to other than popping invincibility.

No counter play.. other than dodging, or evading, or line-of-sighting

So guaranteed kill, Even if you dodge once. That is op. You have to admit that.

It's strong, but not OP. Only time I find myself getting killed by this is from poor positioning or because I was checking some menu and not expecting it.

"But every class has 2 dodges" - so what? Ranger is still 5kilometers away you won't reach the ranger.Mobility wise.no other class has more mobility than ranger. Ok maybe thief.

We aren't talking about the necro-soulbeast matchup.As a ranger you can reset against any other class.You can always choose, if you want to fight or if you don't.And if you choose to fight, the fight is over in 3seconds.

Either you oneshot enemy or you didn't manage to do it, run away and try again in 30seconds, or choose to kill another target.

That's how a good mobility based profession should play, yes. If you don't have mobility you need to lock them down or bate them into a position where their mobility won't matter.

Mobility of GS and beastmode with a bird = insane distance traveledGS can block as well. You can even take stone signet and still to lots of dmg.

Majority or rangers don't know how to use GS effectively so when they pull it out they are dead after stone signet/block.

So way enough time to get to a keep or tower to hide in.

If you can't make it..... Oh did I mention bad player?

And there's not just that one build, that is really freaking strong.

Boonbeast does need tuning back but I was specifically talking about the rapid fire skill in respect to sic 'em sniper because a lot of people seem to think it's some kind of auto-win for rangers and it's really not.

There are several other builds (3more to be precise) that have almost no counterplay available as well.

I would say there are only a couple builds in the whole game that have 'no counterplay' and that would just be in reference to bunker builds that just end up stalemating because they can out sustain most all damage. Then again you shouldn't die to those builds either.

If you think that isn't op. I think you don't know the meaning of "op"

It's strong, not OP. Just like getting caught up in a few million necro shades pulsing over 9000 hours of 300 different conditions is strong. Not impossible to deal with, just really strong. Some matchups will be harder than others. For the most part professions soft counter each other but there are a few hard counters (like ranger - necro)