unidentified gear (salvage all)

tim.4596

Please Anet, remove Unidentified gear from "Salvage all" options. Since the new patch it became extremely annoying. I now have to constantly type "unidentified gear" in the search box of my inventory before salvaging anything. And that's the less annoying part of it.

If I do a meta event and start stacking unidentified gear, well that's when the trouble start. I have to go to the bank to deposit unidentified gear in my bank, and then start open them to then salvage items I got.

Try to reserve three slots (either in an invisible bag or in shared inventory) for unidentified gear, and always leave one piece of gear in each slot. All the unidentified gear you get will add to those stacks out of reach of "salvage all" that way.

If you had been playing PoF and season 4 maps you'd be familiar with the concept already. And if you are exclusively playing core/HoT maps, you will find that unidentified gear drops regularly enough to easily open up three permanent slots in your invisible bag since the rest of your inventory will fill considerably slower than before.

@"Rasimir.6239" said:Try to reserve three slots (either in an invisible bag or in shared inventory) for unidentified gear, and always leave one piece of gear in each slot. All the unidentified gear you get will add to those stacks out of reach of "salvage all" that way.

If you had been playing PoF and season 4 maps you'd be familiar with the concept already. And if you are exclusively playing core/HoT maps, you will find that unidentified gear drops regularly enough to easily open up three permanent slots in your invisible bag since the rest of your inventory will fill considerably slower than before.

Oh, I didn't know that shared inventory slot worked, but having to buy 3 extra shared slot for that seems a bit extreme haha.

Thanks for the tips though

@tim.4596 said:

@"Rasimir.6239" said:Try to reserve three slots (either in an invisible bag or in shared inventory) for unidentified gear, and always leave one piece of gear in each slot. All the unidentified gear you get will add to those stacks out of reach of "salvage all" that way.

Oh, I didn't know that shared inventory slot worked, but having to buy 3 extra shared slot for that seems a bit extreme haha.

Thanks for the tips thoughDepends on how many characters you regularly play. For me, it's 20+ at level 80, and those three slots are absolutely worth it not having to check around each of my characters for gear to identify :D .

I'm throwing my two cents into the remove from Salvage All... at least as an option... having to move the unidentified gear into invisible bags is an extra step that I didn't used to have to take. I never liked how loot worked in the PoF maps because of how it affected my Salvage All, but it was a limited exposure, but now with it going live all over it is really starting to make my play in GW2 unpleasant. I like the idea of eliminating bag clutter but because the unidentified gear shows up in Salvage All (and I don't want to Salvage it directly) it is eliminating the usefulness of Salvage All. So you step forward one step back.

All you have to do is remove unidentified gear from Salvage All... or make an option to do that and this will be a good change.

• 2 months later...

As someone who doesn't have a lot of time to play every day, i don't manage my unidentified gear like I should. My invisible bags fill then they go into my regular bags. The salvage all option cannot be used because of the unidentified gear bags. Making salvaging slower.Here is my thought on how to fix it. when you right click on the salvage kit and select salvage blues, greens, or whatever. When the box comes up, showing what you are going to salvage, have a small check box on each item. Then simply uncheck the item you don't want to salvage.I have been playing for 6 years and this has taken more play time away from me, by having to be real careful on what you are salvaging.

I use invisible bags for this, but I do not believe that unid gear should be salvageable anyway. Nobody uses that option except by accident because identifying and salvaging is way better. If you don't want to deal with opening you just sell it more profit than salavaging it without identifying. Salvaging unid gear has no purpose whatsoever.

While ANet considers the idea, I agree with the above proposals:

• Best (for those with multiple toons): shared inventory slots. This way, every character contributes and you need only reserve 3 slots total.
  • Also good (for those with fewer gems or toons): invisible bags.

What you do when you get a full stack depends on how much you value your time:

• Not much time? Sell the stacks. Do not open and salvage.
  • Lots of time (and/or good inventory management techniques)? I don't have to explain; you already have it covered.

The reason why people short on time should sell: the gain from opening/salvaging is modest enough that it's not worth your limited gaming hours to bother with. Yes, you'll get less coin, in exchange you'll spend more time doing what you like.

@Daddicus.6128 said:I like the idea of shared slots, too. However, there aren't anywhere near enough of them.

I don't remember if you regularly play multiple toons, i.e more than 5. If not, invisible bags work just as well.

I only have one free, and I have to work pretty hard to keep that one open.If you want to share how many you have and what's in them (screenshot works for that), people might be able to offer some advice.

For example, I invested in the Permanent Bank Access contract. At today's prices, that's about 3500 gold, enough to buy 12000 gems (aka the cost of 25 shared inventory slots). Because, in effect, it turns a single shared slot into however many bank slots you have: 30, 60, 420, etcSo things that I use constantly get a shared slot, while things that only get occasional use do not. It's amazingly useful.

There are cheaper ways to conserve shared inventory, depending on what you're currently using them for.

@"Ganathar.4956" said:I use invisible bags for this, but I do not believe that unid gear should be salvageable anyway. Nobody uses that option except by accident because identifying and salvaging is way better. If you don't want to deal with opening you just sell it more profit than salavaging it without identifying. Salvaging unid gear has no purpose whatsoever.

Having to use invisibile gear specifically for this is extremely inconvenient, also there are other ressources such as glob of ectoplasm which aren't taken into consideration by "salvage all" it should really be the same with unidentified gear. Maybe there is a reason why Anet didn't make it so, but if there is, I can't see it.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:I like the idea of shared slots, too. However, there aren't anywhere near enough of them.

I don't remember if you regularly play multiple toons, i.e more than 5. If not, invisible bags work just as well.

I only have one free, and I have to work pretty hard to keep that one open.If you want to share how many you have and what's in them (screenshot works for that), people might be able to offer some advice.

For example, I invested in the Permanent Bank Access contract. At today's prices, that's about 3500 gold, enough to buy 12000 gems (aka the cost of 25 shared inventory slots). Because, in effect, it turns a single shared slot into however many bank slots you have: 30, 60, 420, etcSo things that I use constantly get a shared slot, while things that only get occasional use do not. It's amazingly useful.

There are cheaper ways to conserve shared inventory, depending on what you're currently using them for.

Yeah, otherwise, I guess if Anet doesn't do anything about unidentified gear, it might be worth min/maxing investment towards keeping a clear inventory :)

@tim.4596 said:

@"Ganathar.4956" said:I use invisible bags for this, but I do not believe that unid gear should be salvageable anyway. Nobody uses that option except by accident because identifying and salvaging is way better. If you don't want to deal with opening you just sell it more profit than salavaging it without identifying. Salvaging unid gear has no purpose whatsoever.

Having to use invisibile gear specifically for this is extremely inconvenient, also there are other ressources such as glob of ectoplasm which aren't taken into consideration by "salvage all" it should really be the same with unidentified gear. Maybe there is a reason why Anet didn't make it so, but if there is, I can't see it.

Yeah, otherwise, I guess if Anet doesn't do anything about unidentified gear, it might be worth min/maxing investment towards keeping a clear inventory :)

ecto doesn't autosalvage bc it's exotic . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@tim.4596 said:

ecto doesn't autosalvage bc it's exotic . . .

Interesting, for some reasons I'd never affiliated ectos with being exotic (I guess they just feel too common).

So I am guessing there aren't any common/uncommon/rare items that don't auto salvage then.

Is that short to say those changes will sadly never get implemented in the game, and that we should start looking for ways around it? Such as shares inventory space investment and invisible bags :)

@"tim.4596" said:

ecto doesn't autosalvage bc it's exotic . . .Interesting, for some reasons I'd never affiliated ectos with being exotic (I guess they just feel too common).They used to be "rare" and were changed to exotic, possibly with the no-auto-salvage feature in mind.

I've similarly wanted ANet to turn exclusive dyes into exotics, in part to prevent accidental salvaging. (And also so it's easier to find them on the TP.)

So I am guessing there aren't any common/uncommon/rare items that don't auto salvage then.There are exceptions, none important enough to change your inventory management plans.

Is that short to say those changes will sadly never get implemented in the game,Never? ANet surprises us about all sorts of things. Things stack that didn't use to, open-all is a thing now, plus salvage-all and no more rune|sigil clutter.

and that we should start looking for ways around it?Yes.Because even if they agreed today that this was an urgent issue, it would be 6-12 months (if not longer) before we saw a significant change.

Such as shares inventory space investment and invisible bags :)As people have said, these are pretty good options.

Despite the number of items having grown since launch, inventory management is much simpler today than it was in 2012. It's not perfect; it's just good enough that one can avoid or mitigate nearly all the biggest (and many of the smaller) issues with even low-effort strategies.

However, like gardening, one shouldn't expect it to be a "one & done" affair; there are always more weeds to compost.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

I play 27 regularly (at least every other week, and 20+ weekly).

Home portal stoneMistlock Sanctuary passkeySeasons three and four tomesmystic forgecopper and silver salvage kittreasure hunting kitsPact Scout's mapping materials. (This will disappear when I've used them all).Seven for implements. (I don't have any infinite gathering tools, and I'm a cheapskate who uses the implement of the right tier to gather.).crude salvage kit (for basic gear and salvage items)black lion salvage kit (for exotic gear)Tomes of knowledge, silky sand, and writs of experience (because we get them every day)bank expressmerchant expressOne kept empty for transfers (I wish you could mail to yourself)

@"Daddicus.6128" said:Home portal stoneMistlock Sanctuary passkeyOn the whole, I'd keep just one of those, since they both have the "return to sender" option.

Seasons three and four tomesmystic forgecopper and silver salvage kitStrong choices for shared inventory

treasure hunting kits

Pact Scout's mapping materials. (This will disappear when I've used them all).Why not just keep these in the bank til you need them?

Seven for implements. (I don't have any infinite gathering tools, and I'm a cheapskate who uses the implement of the right tier to gather.).You realize that instead of paying for them in minor amounts of copper, you are paying for them with time and effort both. A full home instance of ore nodes needs around half a mining tool. So even if you used copper-tier picks for every node (instead of ori-tier), you'd be saving less than 2 silver, in exchange for which you'd have to stop, swap tools, and repeat several times (or take a really circuitous route).

I'd strongly encourage you to reconsider counting pennies and instead look at counting your time as valuable, too.(I went through it myself back before I could afford more bag space; it wasn't easy throwing away steel or darksteel tools I got for free from loot.)

crude salvage kit (for basic gear and salvage items)Another penny-wise choice over copper-fed. Literally, as it's 1c cheaper. Worse, you have to replace it every 15 uses.

black lion salvage kit (for exotic gear)These can be safely placed in the bank. With the overall reduction in types of loot we get now, and the low-drop rates of exotics, you don't need these often. You can leave them for 1x/week or even 1x/month.

Tomes of knowledge, silky sand, and writs of experience (because we get them every day)Tomes of knowledge & writs of experience drop from very, very limited sources. Don't open the bouncy chests until you're near a bank and you can move them to a single slot in the bank.

Silky sand... unless you do Silverwastes & Dry Top every day on multiple toons, these don't need to be in shared inventory either.

bank expressmerchant expressAlso strong choices. If these are the perma versions, then, as I mentioned above, you can just treat the bank as supplemental shared inventory.(I'm guessing not, otherwise you would have said and you wouldn't need a "free" slot for moving gear.

One kept empty for transfers (I wish you could mail to yourself)I can see the appeal.

However, it's probably easier on you in the long run to use the mistlock sanctuary instead.

@"Daddicus.6128"To be clear, all of your choices are "good" uses of shared inventory.

I remain convinced that you'll have more fun playing by making some alterations: you'll reduce effort on management, for costs measured in silver (or copper), leaving you more time to play.

You'll also free up some shared slots for other uses, such as unID gear (which absolutely drops for everyone now).

For those willing to spend for more convenience still:

• Unbreakable gathering tools: double click before a gathering run; reverse after. Means you no longer have to stock up characters with spares, freeing up regular inventory.
  • Permanent bank contract: turns a single shared slot into dozens of shared slots. If you keep your bank tidy, you can dump champ bags, special items, spare tools, and all sorts of frequent-use items that you don't need at your immediate beck & call. For me (and many others, this is a game-changing tool for inventory management -- it's worth every gold coin).

Thanks for the tip. I've been using invisible bags and didn't realize that shared inventory was also protected from salvage all. As I run a number of different alts during my normal game play, the shared inventory option sounds good to me. Not only does it keep all the unid bags in one place but my main has the most number of personal bags and thus the most space to open large amounts of unid gear.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" thanks for your comments about the permanent bank access. For some reason I hadn't ever paid much attention to that option until I came across some of your posts about it in another thread. It's now on the top of my "To Buy" list and I'm diligently saving my coppers to get a contract. :)

@trixantea.1230 said:Is opening bags then salvaging them is more prifatble (goldwise) than salvaging the unidentified gear bags directly?

Yes: never salvage directly. There's almost no scenario when that will be the most profit for your effort.

If time is precious, then sell the non-rare unID containers on the TP. That's far better than salvaging directly; it's marginally worse for fine|blue & somewhat worse for masterwork|green.

For rares, if you have time to sort out the high-value rares from the standard ones, then you'll earn more by opening and salvaging with silver-fed|master's (and especially mystic). If you lack the time, then TP is fine.

The exact difference between the three options varies depending on the market, so the simple rule of thumb is:Always TP, unless you have time to process all unID gear. If you have some time, start with micromanaging the rares; that's the biggest bonus for the time spent.

What they said...here is why. One stack of blue unid salvaged unopened WILL be salvaged as one stack of BLUE gear. No ifs, No maybes. Selling it saves you time. Opening it means instead you're salvaging 235 blues 14 greens and s yellow or exotic(which can be sold salvaged or kept).

Over time I've found you almost always get at least one rare from a stack of blues sometimes more. Sure, ectos are falling in price BUT STILL it's ectos you would not have ever had.

@Etria.3642 said:What they said...here is why. One stack of blue unid salvaged unopened WILL be salvaged as one stack of BLUE gear. No ifs, No maybes. Selling it saves you time. Opening it means instead you're salvaging 235 blues 14 greens and s yellow or exotic(which can be sold salvaged or kept).

This is incorrect. While they said they fixed it so that magic find isn't applied twice, they're wrong. I've seen dozens, maybe even hundreds of blue unids turn into green gear (and even a yellow or two).

Until they fix the processes completely, it still pays to open them and then salvage.