Updated Upcoming Warclaw bug fixes/changes — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Updated Upcoming Warclaw bug fixes/changes

edited April 2, 2019 in WvW

Hey folks!

I wanted to make an updated version of this post, given the recent release and a few bits of extra info on the progress of some items.

Short-term

• We're working on a fix for the issue where people can get stuck on their mount, and still have their 3 evades and such. There may be more than one bug that causes this, but we think we're getting the most egregious one. - Done 3/26
  • We're going to remove the jump on dismount. It's one of the biggest things used to bypass walls/gates and it was faster to remove the jump rather than try to fix each of those individually. - Partially Done 3/26 - We know there are several other bugs that allow people to get a similar effect to the automatic jump on dismount. It's so far been a hard bug to crack, but we're working on it.
  • Fix to the sitting in box achievement areas so you can mount up in them. - Done 3/26
  • Mounts will no longer be able to be stealthed. We felt mounts provide enough value without stealth and, as many have noticed, there were several visual bugs with stealth involved. - Done 3/26
  • We know there are still several areas people can break in to keeps/towers or otherwise get to places you shouldn't be able to. If you find one, please don't post them on the forums. You are welcome to send them to me in a PM here or discord. We'll be fixing these as we find them. Many will probably be able to be fixed whenever we find a fix for the other ways to jump upon dismount.
  • Adding a 5 second recharge on the Warclaw Mount skill if you're dismounted for any reason. This includes damage, using the engage skill or using the dismount skill.

Medium to Long-term

• Working on a dismount trap - Rough prototype is done internally. Still experimenting with costs, area size, fx, etc.
  • Considering a dismount trick. Something that can be used with less planning and by players who don't have the mount. The user experience of using consumables during conflict is not the greatest, but it still may be useful for players to have.
  • Working on a new mounted skill to dismount other mounted players. This will also dismount yourself and put both players into combat briefly. - Rough prototype is done internally. Going to need fx and we're determining how to unlock it. Currently leaning towards a new mastery. Determining if it should have a cost, outside of burning the cooldown on use.

Even Longer term

• We're considering adding break-bars to the WvW Mount. It's still a **big ** if, as this requires UI considerations. - We have break-bars working internally with no UI. There is some debate about whether we'll still need this if we do some of the features from above. All this being said, there is a chance that UI considerations stop us from doing this. We could try some other solutions to make CC's usable against mounts.

Edit: Added info about the dismount recharge

Ben Phongluangtham
Senior Game Designer

Tagged:
<1345

Comments

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

Awesome Ben. Thank you for the timely update.

I am not a fan of the mount but my biggest fear was going to be slow fixed. Thank you for addressing. That.

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for always doing such a good job at communicating, Ben. Overall I find the Warclaw to be pretty decently balanced, but I would like to pass on three personal wishes for changes. Just my opinions, of course.

-When using a waypoint, restrict Warclaw access for ~15-30 seconds. Excluding Desert BL, the maps are quite small. Reinforcements are far too easy to send if there is a nearby waypoint, and deaths are trivialized by respawning being less of a punishment now.
    -Normalize travel speed to the baseline speed when in an enemy territory. When the dismount skill becomes a feature, the increased speed will provide too much of an advantage to those within their own territory.
    -Prevent Warclaw stomps from rallying allied players. This provides a healthy drawback for a very powerful skill.

Healing orbs are a mistake. Please delete them ANet.

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Justine.6351 said:
    Please don't put a "cost" on the dismount skill. And while you are at it, remove it from the pull chain. Gates have a 3 chain cap and take low damage.

This so much.

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

• Working on a new mounted skill to dismount other mounted players.

So as of now, that is basically a set thing, despite the very mixed feedback, and without a cost apart from the cooldown. The "roamers" won then; time will tell how much of the new blood stays with this not only being available, but also likely lopsidedly locked behind a higher-tier mastery that those who main WvW will have instant access to.

Also, is it maybe being considered to ship build templates before this skill? That way people would at least have a chance to swap to a self-sustainable build before being brought down by duel builds that can engage and disengage at will.

• Lascax.2163Lascax.2163 Member ✭✭

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

• Considering a dismount trick. Something that can be used with less planning and by players who don't have the mount. The user experience of using consumables during conflict is not the greatest, but it still may be useful for players to have.

Have you considered a Special Action button? Usable item which enables it, maybe in a determined period of time like some Sidequest items.

• Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭

I still don't understand the necessity of the dismount skill. Is it that problematic for players to have to fight an opponent that can only run away or jump around in circles?

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:
    I still don't understand the necessity of the dismount skill. Is it that problematic for players to have to fight an opponent that can only run away or jump around in circles?

If that circle is a capture circle then yes.

There are still three dodges. And if someone can’t use those judiciously, on their way back to a Zerg, then that’s on them.

So you're saying the dismount skill can be dodged? Because I've seen nothing from ANET to indicate this. Please point me to that information.

edited March 27, 2019

@Lishtenbird.2814 said:

• Working on a new mounted skill to dismount other mounted players.

So as of now, that is basically a set thing, despite the very mixed feedback, and without a cost apart from the cooldown. The "roamers" won then; time will tell how much of the new blood stays with this not only being available, but also likely lopsidedly locked behind a higher-tier mastery that those who main WvW will have instant access to.

Also, is it maybe being considered to ship build templates before this skill? That way people would at least have a chance to swap to a self-sustainable build before being brought down by duel builds that can engage and disengage at will.

Sadly, the gankers and Locust Alliance are most vocal here (you're new so don't know the hidden politics). So they will whine till they win.

Sorry.

If it makes you feel better, you'll prob get build templates about the time we get Alliances, so GW3...

Side note - Roamers =/= Gankers. Gankers only PvP. Most could not take an objective if their life depended on it.

Roamers can do both, and actually try to help war score.

Edit to add - @Ben Phongluangtham.1065, I agree with many others. Your team seems to be overthinking the dismount thing. It just needs to be added to the battle maul, and put both in combat. Done, easy, and doesn't require extra mastery that non-vets don't have to be able to use.

• gavyne.6847gavyne.6847 Member ✭✭✭

Don't need a dismount trap and dismount trick. Just change mount 1 skill, remove the stomp and make it dismount players. A simple change that will improve experiences for all without over-doing it like your proposed changes.

• All for a dismounting skill that takes us both off the cat.

• Slightly related, but I wish there were a better storage system for traps. Being acc bound, I cannot store them in guild bank, and they really take up space. Another acc bound trap being added to loot tables honestly makes me shudder.

I wish there were a menu I could use to bring up my stored traps/siege.

• Hesacon.8735Hesacon.8735 Member ✭✭✭✭

Any chance of adding a supply requirement to "sniff"?

• X T D.6458X T D.6458 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019

Thank you for the communication and quick fixes, its appreciated.

On a related note, the other day I tried to mount in Desert bl at Earth Shrine between Fire and Earth Keeps and fell right through the map. Apparently there is a lot of water under the map :open_mouth: . Before falling through the terrain, I encountered that mounting bug where it looks like your character gets halfway stuck in the ground, but your character can still move. This seems like a lag/desync issue that was supposed to be fixed months ago if I recall correctly. I still encounter this issue at random times in WvW. Can you guys take a look into it?

Also battle maul is a little wonky to use because it always causes you to leap at full range, unlike with Raptor which has more controlled leaps (with dodges and attack). This means you can easily miss a target and have to rely on the large radius. Is this intended or just a design choice?

And thank you for removing stealth from mounts, and I actually like the battle maul instakill, it is a nice indirect nerf to downstate.

BG

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:

There are still three dodges. And if someone can’t use those judiciously, on their way back to a Zerg, then that’s on them.

So you're saying the dismount skill can be dodged? Because I've seen nothing from ANET to indicate this. Please point me to that information.

I would not know if it can be dodged. But let me ask you how many skills are there that are un-dodge-able?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dodge

TLDR: only three CC effects can prevent dodges. But the skills that apply them are dodgable.

Considering this, I would have no reason to suspect that the mount wouldn’t be able to dodge said dismount skill.

And for now, the mount cannot be CC’d.

• I'm actually a bit sad that mounts can't stealth now; one of the main ways I've been using the Warclaw is to sneak quickly past enemy lines and putting out siege disablers on sieges that are attacking our towers and keep. Our server is usually outnumbered (best cast scenario is 1.5 to 1; worst is maybe 5 to 1), and the enemy zerg is usually 40+ people hanging around the sieges on their own Warclaws, versus the 5 of us defending our EBG keep for example. Having that option of stealth to disable them, either to just cause inconvenience to the enemies or to buy time to rally more people in to defend, is always nice for lone scouts like me. Now that option is no longer feasible, and I could barely survive past the zerg to lay down that disabler on EBG red keep vista hill (which can treb both outer and inner walls, which I still find quite stupid since you can only treb outer SMC from red keep).

Funny thing is, that mount super jump that ANet said is no longer possible, is still possible. I dunno how to do it personally, but I see others still doing it no problem.

@Karnasis.6892 said:

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

Sadly, the gankers and Locust Alliance are most vocal here (you're new so don't know the hidden politics). So they will whine till they win.

And who the hell is the Locust Alliance.... and why have I never heard of them before? And how do they have "so much power"? XD

They have another name that I can't use here.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019

I assume the removal of jump on dismount had to be universal for pve and wvw? Shame to lose it from pve due to how unnatural it feels, but it's no biggie I guess

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• spectrito.8513spectrito.8513 Member ✭✭✭

Great news !
    Thanks for the update Ben
    @Randulf.7614
    Nope, Ben already state that it will only affect wvw

• HardRider.2980HardRider.2980 Member ✭✭✭

An update on things... I er.. emm wow em thanks lol... actually thanks for letting us know :D

A City of Heroes never die... A City of Villains will never surrender... Neither City will be forgotten.

edited March 27, 2019

@spectrito.8513 said:
    Great news !
    Thanks for the update Ben
    @Randulf.7614
    Nope, Ben already state that it will only affect wvw

The jump on dismount changed already and it does affect pve, unless I am missing something?

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Mechanix.9315Mechanix.9315 Member ✭✭✭

Hey folks!

Medium to Long-term

• Working on a new mounted skill to dismount other mounted players. This will also dismount yourself and put both players into combat briefly. - Rough prototype is done internally. Going to need fx and we're determining how to unlock it. Currently leaning towards a new mastery. Determining if it should have a cost, outside of burning the cooldown on use.

Thx BenP you are my only HOPE!!!

Btw this is IMO the critical change, i wanted to ask what do you mean with cost? what ideas of cost do you have in mind? or experimenting with it?

• Karnasis.6892Karnasis.6892 Member ✭✭✭

@Mechanix.9315 said:

Thx BenP you are my only HOPE!!!

Btw this is IMO the critical change, i wanted to ask what do you mean with cost? what ideas of cost do you have in mind? or experimenting with it?

I suspect they are working on a cost for it so you can't just constantly dismount people with no drawback. Either a very long cool down or maybe a supply cost, or something even heavier costed like gold/skirmish tickets. Though I think supply is what they will go for, which will force the loudest folks demanding the change to actually play the objectives (or I at least hope that's the idea)

• Please , no dismount action button . Warclaw works fine like it is.

• @Randulf.7614 said:
    I assume the removal of jump on dismount had to be universal for pve and wvw? Shame to lose it from pve due to how unnatural it feels, but it's no biggie I guess

On a related note, since it's the Warclaw thread. Sorry if that looks picky, but the current dismount animation on Warclaw makes me physically uncomfortable - akin to the motion sickness effects of Camera Shake that I disabled soon into the game. The current jump is abrupt and "heavy", as if the character is affected by high values of gravity during the same regular dismount; but while the regular dismount follows the character smoothly, in the case of Warclaw, it sort of - jerks up and then drops down? The effect is either more or less jarring depending on how far you are zoomed in/out and at what angle to the ground the camera is.

Am I in the minority to feel that way, and that can be disregarded? Can something be done to make the transition smoother, like a literal fall-off downward curve towards the ground without the initial jump-ish movement?

@Lishtenbird.2814 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

On a related note, since it's the Warclaw thread. Sorry if that looks picky, but the current dismount animation on Warclaw makes me physically uncomfortable - akin to the motion sickness effects of Camera Shake that I disabled soon into the game. The current jump is abrupt and "heavy", as if the character is affected by high values of gravity during the same regular dismount; but while the regular dismount follows the character smoothly, in the case of Warclaw, it sort of - jerks up and then drops down? The effect is either more or less jarring depending on how far you are zoomed in/out and at what angle to the ground the camera is.

Am I in the minority to feel that way, and that can be disregarded? Can something be done to make the transition smoother, like a literal fall-off downward curve towards the ground without the initial jump-ish movement?

I don't feel that way as in game stuff doesn't trigger for me, but I can agree with the "abrupt and heavy". It doesn't feel very natural at all.

• @Randulf.7614 said:
    It doesn't feel very natural at all.

How about that - https://i.imgur.com/aKlLY3r.gif - or that - https://i.imgur.com/SbkbOAO.gif - or that - https://i.imgur.com/sGgY8wN.gif ?

@Lishtenbird.2814 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:
    It doesn't feel very natural at all.

How about that - https://i.imgur.com/aKlLY3r.gif - or that - https://i.imgur.com/SbkbOAO.gif - or that - https://i.imgur.com/sGgY8wN.gif ?

If my kitty can do #3 I wont complain, but I'm leaning towards #1

• CETheLucid.3964CETheLucid.3964 Member ✭✭✭

Hey folks!

I wanted to make an updated version of this post, given the recent release and a few bits of extra info on the progress of some items.

Short-term

• We're working on a fix for the issue where people can get stuck on their mount, and still have their 3 evades and such. There may be more than one bug that causes this, but we think we're getting the most egregious one. - Done 3/26
    • We're going to remove the jump on dismount. It's one of the biggest things used to bypass walls/gates and it was faster to remove the jump rather than try to fix each of those individually. - Partially Done 3/26 - We know there are several other bugs that allow people to get a similar effect to the automatic jump on dismount. It's so far been a hard bug to crack, but we're working on it.
    • Fix to the sitting in box achievement areas so you can mount up in them. - Done 3/26
    • Mounts will no longer be able to be stealthed. We felt mounts provide enough value without stealth and, as many have noticed, there were several visual bugs with stealth involved. - Done 3/26
    • We know there are still several areas people can break in to keeps/towers or otherwise get to places you shouldn't be able to. If you find one, please don't post them on the forums. You are welcome to send them to me in a PM here or discord. We'll be fixing these as we find them. Many will probably be able to be fixed whenever we find a fix for the other ways to jump upon dismount.

Medium to Long-term

• Working on a dismount trap - Rough prototype is done internally. Still experimenting with costs, area size, fx, etc.

Even Longer term

• We're considering adding break-bars to the WvW Mount. It's still a **big ** if, as this requires UI considerations. - We have break-bars working internally with no UI. There is some debate about whether we'll still need this if we do some of the features from above. All this being said, there is a chance that UI considerations stop us from doing this. We could try some other solutions to make CC's usable against mounts.

Between a skill on the mount itself, a trap, and a trick to dismount players I think that should be fairly sufficient without adding a breakbar into the mix. Don't really have much else to add. I suggested a trap and a kind of "lasso" dismount skill prior. I think you guys are on top of it! Thank you.

• Khalyntz.8146Khalyntz.8146 Member
    edited March 28, 2019

Thank you Ben. This kind of update/communication is very appreciated.

When the warclaw will be fully fixed, maybe Arenanet can work on restoring its second ability (dash/jump forward) like it was before (in the beginning). In my opinion, it's pretty ridiculous/useless in its current state and kind of frustrating.

I understand the concern of not creating an overpowered mount, but be careful with player's frustration. Some of them will ask you the point of introducing a mount if it's permanently downgraded; and I'm not talking about adjustments. This is what a mount is: a clear advantage in military forces/strategy.

To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    And eternity in an hour.

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Khalyntz.8146 said:
    This is what a mount is: a clear advantage in military forces/strategy.

Every member of the Light Brigade nods in agreement as they begin their mounted charge

Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:

I would not know if it can be dodged. But let me ask you how many skills are there that are un-dodge-able?

TLDR: only three CC effects can prevent dodges. But the skills that apply them are dodgable.

Considering this, I would have no reason to suspect that the mount wouldn’t be able to dodge said dismount skill.

That's very interesting. I hope that is what ANET is planning, as I think if they want to introduce counterplay to mounts (dismount ability) then that too should have counterplay via dodging.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:

That's very interesting. I hope that is what ANET is planning, as I think if they want to introduce counterplay to mounts (dismount ability) then that too should have counterplay via dodging.

Agreed. Those that are upset about the mount being ‘nerfed’ need to remember that the mount introduction itself was a huge hit to a particular play style and while most people would agree that play style could be considered, let’s just say ‘toxic’, it was a play style that people enjoyed.

The mounts abilities led to some likely unintended consequences (as it’s abilities have been adjusted) which is being brought back into what is considered to be a somewhat tenable compromise.

The mount will still give speed and dodges allowing people to get back to the Zerg faster and safer than before the mount, but it won’t be a ‘free pass’,

• yorick.1305yorick.1305 Member ✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:

Agreed. Those that are upset about the mount being ‘nerfed’ need to remember that the mount introduction itself was a huge hit to a particular play style and while most people would agree that play style could be considered, let’s just say ‘toxic’, it was a play style that people enjoyed.

The mounts abilities led to some likely unintended consequences (as it’s abilities have been adjusted) which is being brought back into what is considered to be a somewhat tenable compromise.

The mount will still give speed and dodges allowing people to get back to the Zerg faster and safer than before the mount, but it won’t be a ‘free pass’,

Not enjoyed by the poor soul on the receiving end of it!

@yorick.1305 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Clownmug.8357 said:

Not enjoyed by the poor soul on the receiving end of it!

🙂

Can’t argue that.

• @Pterikdactyl.7630 said:
    Thank you for always doing such a good job at communicating, Ben. Overall I find the Warclaw to be pretty decently balanced, but I would like to pass on three personal wishes for changes. Just my opinions, of course.

-When using a waypoint, restrict Warclaw access for ~15-30 seconds. Excluding Desert BL, the maps are quite small. Reinforcements are far too easy to send if there is a nearby waypoint, and deaths are trivialized by respawning being less of a punishment now.
    -Normalize travel speed to the baseline speed when in an enemy territory. When the dismount skill becomes a feature, the increased speed will provide too much of an advantage to those within their own territory.
    -Prevent Warclaw stomps from rallying allied players. This provides a healthy drawback for a very powerful skill.

I like your second suggestion suggestion, but the first and third suggestion I do not like. Just my opinion.

• Lishtenbird.2814Lishtenbird.2814 Member ✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019

@Pterikdactyl.7630 said:

Edit: What do you consider "baseline": speed on foot or speed on warclaw in own territory?

• Karnasis.6892Karnasis.6892 Member ✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Karnasis.6892 said:
    My god, we have had nothing but nerfs to the mount since day 1, for either because of bugs, or because of a majority of vocal feedback only taken from the forums.

Yeah that's sort of how balancing happen. Or you do you want day 1 HoT specs and day 1 PoF specs back?

Anyway, I really, really wish that the dismount on skill 1 would happen. Because it's such simple improvement that can probably be implemented in less than a day. I dont like the stomp and think it should be replaced by this, but it's not a dealbreaker as such. I can live with a dismount being added on top and just grin through the obvious griefing issues of the stomp.

But why does a mount need balancing to the degree that we have to nerf everything? The jumps/evades I understood because it allowed cheese into large objectives. Fine, go for it. But then there was the 10 person auto stomp (which I agree with because 10 is a bit much). And then nerfs were called because roamers couldn't get fights anymore, hence the dismount skill, and also the stealth changes. Folks are STILL calling for nerfs. It's absurd. The state the mount is in currently is fine, I enjoy it the way it is. But if it gets nerfed to it's run speed like some folks are looking for, or increased cool downs after certain actions are taken (waypointing was a suggestion) or contesting on mounts, why even bother implementing all these changes? It makes the mount pointless overall and a waste of time and we might as well have the devs go back to the drawing board or remove it all together (which I'd rather not see).

• Wanze.8410Wanze.8410 Member ✭✭✭

@Lascax.2163 said:

Have you considered a Special Action button? Usable item which enables it, maybe in a determined period of time like some Sidequest items.

We're very careful with special action button stuff that isn't tied to a specific map area. We don't want to get ourselves into a position where there are special action button conflicts.

Its WvW, there should be conflict.

• Don't add any dismount skill but if you do then 300-600 rng or only can be used in territories you own. If you don't you will just cater to the 10 dudes who spam these forums with rare situations that affected them and must be immediatly be addressed. Complainers are more likely to create threads then someone who enjoys the mount. We don't need a dismount because gankers miss out on kills between spawn and keep which they have done for years pre mounts and desperately want that back. Boo Hoo a player on his mount got away. I want wvw to be a series of 1v1s and ignore all objectives. That's who you will be catering to which is a minority part of the player base but a major voice here on the forums.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.