Easiest class to play?

Saimeren.4952

What is a better defensive stat? Vitality, or Toughness?

I know that Vitality is straight up extra health. Which is great because it means you can take more hits, and larger hits before going down. Toughness is armor, but in this game it doesn't actually give you a value for your armor. If I have a toughness value, my armor number goes up. What does that number represent? It's not a percentage number to determine how much damage reduction I'm taking.

It's also not the amount of damage being mitigated by each attack. Does armor reduce damage from ALL attacks, or is it just melee?

Edit: How does Healing power work? Is it 1 for 1 as far as extra healing goes? If I have 100 healing power, do my heals literally heal for 100 extra healing? I was looking it up on the Wiki and saw that there are source specific scaling factors. The example they gave was for the regeneration boon. When you get it, you multiply your healing power by 0.125, and then add that number to your heal. (Total healing = source-specific base healing + Healing Power * source-specific scaling factor)

Is that the same with class abilities? For example I'm messing around with the guardian right now. If I have abilities that heal for 100 health (using 100 as an example because it's easy to use.) and I have 100 healing power, will my healing ability now heal me for 200? Or will it heal me for 112.5? (using the regeneration scaling) (100 + 100 x 0.125)

If it's only going to heal me for 12 extra points of healing when I have thousands of health, I hardly see it as a stat worth taking. Is there a way to find out which ability has specific scaling requirements, and if so what they are so I can do the math myself?

@"Saimeren.4952" said:What is a better defensive stat? Vitality, or Toughness?

I've seen threads that suggest a balance of both; that if you go too far in either, there are diminishing returns. It's tempting to say "Vitality" (health), since Toughness (armor) only protects against physical damage (not just melee), and since some mechanics (Life Force for Necros) scale with Vitality, but I'm pretty sure that the advice has been to mostly balance them. (Again, a Scourge benefits from lots of Vitality since bonuses to Life Force are based on max health, while expenditures are fixed amounts, so you can use Scourge skills more -- offensive and defensive -- with more Vitality.)

Agreed with above last statement. Also understand that Toughness relates to how much damage you are able to absorb. As you increase your toughness, although it makes you a bit more tanky with each uptick, it also makes that target on your back a little bit bigger, signalling to nearby mobs that a juicy morsel is nearby that is worth paying attention to.when it comes to healing power, IIRC, healing power refers to overall output of how much you can heal both yourself AND others. generally speaking, if you are going for more of a support-based, healing profession such as water-staff elementalist, a high end level of healing power is never a bad thing. if however you are seeing yourself as someone that wants to dish out damage and, rather than helping others, you prefer being healed by others, then healing power doesn't matter as much.
TLDR version: in solo open world play the "standard pecking order" of stats usually goes like this: Power>precision>ferocity>Condition damage>Toughness>vitality>expertise>concentration>healing power. It's Not necessarily going to be the way everyone goes, because builds and preferences are varied. also i am not saying in any way you should follow the above list verbatim. Mix it up and see what is most comfortable for YOU.

@Buran.3796 said:

@Buran.3796 said:Mesmer. Just lay your nose on the F1 in your keyboard, roll your face towards the right and see the things dying all around. Rinse & repeat.

You obviously didn't read the OP.

I did. You don't need the specs, Mesmer alone is enough; you just restart the face rolling after F4 instead of F5.

Yup .. Mhmmm..and that's exactly why mesmer is the most recommend in this thread right?

Ignoring this troll.

@OPNecro, warrior, ranger

Are your best bets for an easy class.All 3 have viable base builds that are easy to play and don't have a steep learning curve.

I want something that's good at AoE clearing, and super good at survivability so I won't be punished for not paying attention.

Axe/Axe Warrior with Brusier-type gear (Maruder or a mix of Zerker/Soldier stats). Second weapon doesn't really matter, but I use rifle, because it makes some events much easier to do. I use my own version of this build: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Warrior_-_Axe/Axe_Arms

Funny thing is that Core Warrior is in many ways on par with the other two elite specializations and when it comes to all-in-one performance (survivability, AoE clear, DPS) it's much better.

Power minion necro, definitely. Each minion out adds to toughness if you're spec'ed correctly, so you don't even need toughness as a stat on armor. The minions can be sent in to draw aggro. If you start taking too much damage, can escape into shroud. Then if/ when you do decide to go for an elite spec, power minion Reaper is even more powerful. With "Rise", you have a party of your own. I've soloed most story dungeons (barring honor) and killed champs solo in this build. Core necro and reaper are all about AoE as well.

@Buran.3796 said:

@Buran.3796 said:Mesmer. Just lay your nose on the F1 in your keyboard, roll your face towards the right and see the things dying all around. Rinse & repeat.

You obviously didn't read the OP.

I did. You don't need the specs, Mesmer alone is enough; you just restart the face rolling after F4 instead of F5.

Someone's been hurt by Mesmers in PvP hasn't he?

@steki.1478 said:Thread is 1 month old, I'm pretty sure that OP has either maxed the class they chose or just quit the game and people are still fighting over what's easy lol

Still a good read for the rest of us who level slow or are indecisive! Haha

I have a 36 Guardian, 35 Thief, 34 Warrior. I think my warrior is my favorite... but I am toying around with ele, rev and mesmer in my head as well. Good to get a lot of different points of view!

@"whoeverxwins.1279" said:Power minion necro, definitely. Each minion out adds to toughness if you're spec'ed correctly, so you don't even need toughness as a stat on armor. The minions can be sent in to draw aggro. If you start taking too much damage, can escape into shroud. Then if/ when you do decide to go for an elite spec, power minion Reaper is even more powerful. With "Rise", you have a party of your own. I've soloed most story dungeons (barring honor) and killed champs solo in this build. Core necro and reaper are all about AoE as well.Dont forget your golemancer runes. Thats pretty much a full champ breakbar every 30s or whatever the cd on the spin is. You can solo explorables as well (the bosses are actually the most boring fights, you need to fight 10-15 elites at once to keep pumping out minions).