Make Engineer Shield More Useful

Lucinda Pancrasia.3098

In fact, there are quite a few sword/shield-Holo-builds around.I also prefer sword/shield in my conversion or zerg-dmg builds over the rifle.Overshield is such a nice trait and sword does nice damage .

There you can see, that shield with a nice MH-weapon is great.

The pistol has too little conditions over too long time and effectively single target projectiles.In a condi build just throwing grenade-1 is better condi-damage than using all MH-pistol skills.swapping pistol 4 and 3 might be already enough to fix that. Strong-hitting non-projectile cleave burn instead of enemy-action-dependent projectile chain confusion.

They could introduce a direct-dmg MH-weapon for core-builds but would need to balance it against sword and rifle.That sounds especially error-prone.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:I'll have to give shield a try, though I don't know if I really want to part with my Hammer 5 =(

Just wait til you try shield 5.

Ok, so help me out with this. I love Hammer 5 because I can quickly swap to hammer, drop an AoE stun which helps in ranged pressure and pushes. Hammer 2 and 4 are "ok", though I feel as a support build I have better defensive options.

What will I be able to do better with the shield (and pistol?), outside of the obvious one of not dying when using bulwark at the wrong time :sunglasses:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:I'll have to give shield a try, though I don't know if I really want to part with my Hammer 5 =(

Just wait til you try shield 5.

Ok, so help me out with this. I love Hammer 5 because I can quickly swap to hammer, drop an AoE stun which helps in ranged pressure and pushes. Hammer 2 and 4 are "ok", though I feel as a support build I have better defensive options.

What will I be able to do better with the shield (and pistol?), outside of the obvious one of not dying when using bulwark at the wrong time :sunglasses:
  • Shield 4 is a reflect for a longer duration than hammer 2.
  • Shield 4's flipover skill (magnetic inversion) is a PBAoE knockback, although you have to be in melee range of the targets
  • Shield 5 is a stun for anybody who hits you in melee range, including skills that have built in evades like blurred frenzy or dagger storm. You can stop a thief or mesmer dead in their tracks with this. It's hilarious against scourges as they spam all their F skills and get stunned for a solid 2-3 seconds.
  • Shield 5's flipover is a daze that can hit multiple enemies and come back and do it again. It's perfect when you think your enemy is about to run or heal.

That said, pistol is awful. I'd only recommend shield with holo sword.

I think maybe if they made it so that you kept blocking after you stunned someone, that would make it more useful. Currently the block ends as soon as your shield gets hit, the enemy is stunned and the skill goes on cooldown. This forces you to go on the offensive immediately after throwing up your block.

Modifying it so that you block for a slightly shorter duration, but only stun on the first hit would be nice. This gives you some time to prepare a counterattack.

@archmagus.7249 said:I think maybe if they made it so that you kept blocking after you stunned someone, that would make it more useful. Currently the block ends as soon as your shield gets hit, the enemy is stunned and the skill goes on cooldown. This forces you to go on the offensive immediately after throwing up your block.

Modifying it so that you block for a slightly shorter duration, but only stun on the first hit would be nice. This gives you some time to prepare a counterattack.

I've never had it stop on the first stun. It channels all the way through for me.

I love shield as is. Pistol mainhand, not so much. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but if you aren't a holo and you are using pistol/shield, your enemy will laugh at you. This one time I was fighting someone, basically they laughed at me and messaged me, "poot poot poot". That's how people identify mainhand pistol on engineer, as "poot poot poot". Please. Don't make me hear poot poot poot anymore.

@"DemonSeed.3528" said:I love shield as is. Pistol mainhand, not so much. Not sure if I mentioned it before, but if you aren't a holo and you are using pistol/shield, your enemy will laugh at you. This one time I was fighting someone, basically they laughed at me and messaged me, "poot poot poot". That's how people identify mainhand pistol on engineer, as "poot poot poot". Please. Don't make me hear poot poot poot anymore.

This basically broke my heart after making my engi. I made the engi to pvp with and went right to holo because of some videos i watched. After a few matches of 5v5 and i started to get the hang of holo i figured i would level it to pve with as well. Went rifle at first and hated it. Found a pistol and a shield and was happy, until i actually attacked something. Not I'm using rifle but I'm pushing through because of how fun holo is. Can't wait.