Remove mount stomp

Ruufio.1496

@juno.1840 said:mount stomp needs to stay -- sorry.

Honestly if you were downed due to mount stomp, you were going to go down anyway. It just makes the fights go a little faster which is good.

Mount stomp is bad and here's why, if you will entertain my scenario here:

I'm in a party of 5 with my guild, we're going around fighting larger groups of forces (15-20). At a certain point while toeing the line to drop some damage, a ranger gets the better of me and I get pewpew'd into next week. Until this point we had been fighting excellently and had great damage and sustain. As soon as I get downed, one of my guildmates playing support (FB with Merciless Intervention, or Chrono with Illusion of Life) rushes to me for a clutch rez - but even though his reactions were great, it is too late - the enemy has a numbers advantage, and it is all too easy for any one of them to quickly swoop in and delete me INSTANTLY after getting downed.

The stomp is bad because it rewards the players taking less risks. It punishes those fighting greater enemy forces.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

Honestly if you were downed due to mount stomp, you were going to go down anyway. It just makes the fights go a little faster which is good.

I'm in a party of 5 with my guild, we're going around fighting larger groups of forces (15-20). At a certain point while toeing the line to drop some damage, a ranger gets the better of me and I get pewpew'd into next week. Until this point we had been fighting excellently and had great damage and sustain. As soon as I get downed, one of my guildmates playing support (FB with Merciless Intervention, or Chrono with Illusion of Life) rushes to me for a clutch rez - but even though his reactions were great, it is too late - the enemy has a numbers advantage, and it is all too easy for any one of them to quickly swoop in and delete me INSTANTLY after getting downed.

The stomp is bad because it rewards the players taking less risks. It punishes those fighting greater enemy forces.

15-20 v 5I don't really see the problem. Yeah your buddy got off part of a clutch rez, which is great team play, but you were outnumbered 3.5 to 1. In addition, you must have engaged a larger group already mounted... or you didn't get all 20 into combat so they could mount up and mount stomp you... which means you went down without having all 20 actually fighting you... so could you really win that fight anyway? Do we want to take away mount-stomp just because you want to hang around a little longer against a significantly larger force?

@juno.1840 said:

15-20 v 5I don't really see the problem. Yeah your buddy got off part of a clutch rez, which is great team play, but you were outnumbered 3.5 to 1. In addition, you must have engaged a larger group already mounted... or you didn't get all 20 into combat so they could mount up and mount stomp you... which means you went down without having all 20 actually fighting you... so could you really win that fight anyway? Do we want to take away mount-stomp just because you want to hang around a little longer against a significantly larger force?

This was just a hypothetical situation by the way (if I died it's more likely to my ping, heh), even though I do have support players in my guild and we do roam together like this against larger forces. And it is very possible for us to kill players off with good large damage spikes and kiting/sustain. We're just punished harder than the enemy for getting into down state.

This is a huge problem imo.

Mount stomps aren't a good solution to how people wanted no downstate... and people ask why? Let me tell you: because mount stomps STILL favor the larger forces. No downstate on the other hand completely evens this playing field. Sure if there were no downstate in my scenario, I would've still just died. But at least when my smaller group can create downs, they stay down. It's pretty hard to create enough pressure to finish downs when they're in the middle of larger forces.

@juno.1840 said:

This is why they should remove downed state but adjust res skills like Battle Standard, Spirit of Nature, and probably change/add something to Guardian that allows to res from full dead so that you can still get the clutch res moments but not have it rely on rally as a mechanic.

People getting carried by rally has certainly not disappeared, it is still very much there. I've been in several situations where I could have won a 1v3 or 1v4 if not for downed state and rally. I would prefer these players not getting carried by this mechanic that forces you to cleave a downed enemy, who rightfully should just be dead because they were playing horribly, which puts you into a vulnerable position where you either cleave the downed to maybe finish them or you are forced to disengage and that enemy will almost assuredly get ressed.

@bigo.9037 said:

@"Mil.3562" said:No. This mount stomp is liked a milder and fun version of no down state, which many here has been asking for ever since ANet started it in an event. Enough fun and useful skills on the mount have been removed already. Please ANet.

No. The only ones asking for no down state are players of low skill level who either outnumber fights to win (warclaw stomp) or run some instagib build. There is nothing positive for the game to be gained when having a nice fight with downs on each side and having to use your brain to win the fight but having some plebian come along and press 1 on his mount to instakill.

Down state adds another element to combat in which you can tell the difference between bad players and good players. Good players will use the down as bait to create opposing downs and then the fight really heats up. Know the guard is going to MI? Launch the down. Etc. But no - lets's just let some random pleb come along and quickness-on-steroids-stomp AKA warbanner on auto attack completely disrupt the fight to the point of no return. Yeah, that'll be good for the game /s

My friends and I always fight against more players then we have, so what happens 99% of the time now since they have more players? We lose if
one
of our players
ever
goes down. That's how you kill a game mode. Better believe it - players will leave GW2 the day something better comes along. Too many hits to roaming (marked, mount stomp now).

(Inb4 fighting against a dozen lesser skilled players with a few skilled players does not equal skill and that only 1v1 equates to skill)

I agree but you also on the other hand have the braindead unkillable warriors with stab and EP as passives basically press F for nearly guaranteed res unless you have so much cleave that you out dmg his res power. Or guardians. Or ranger pet ressing with aid from another player. Maybe it would be fair if you didn't insta res from another person dying .. but as someone who only roams.. doesn't play 1shot build but is squishy.. I feel like downed state tends to work against me. Yea, you can use downed as bait that's true. I do it too if I down a player and others try to res. But that only works half the time. And even tho I'm running full zerk I still can't always cleave enough to prevent a res.

There's some mind game to it, but for solo players regardless of 1shot or not I think it's kinda bad for the game. It rewards sloppy play, dying but getting rewarded for pressing F for a few seconds.

Its honestly really amusing that someone with the Soulbeast icon as their forum avatar is complaining about Warrior invulns and stability. That's cute.

Also "doesn't play 1shot build but is squishy" to "I'm running full zerk" even more cute. Sure you're not, just like you're definitely not running Signet of Stone plus the passive? Or definitely not using Strength of the Pack, right? Which if you're not then maybe thats why Warrior seems "unkillable" to you.

As someone who enjoys the mount, I agree the stomp should be removed. Anet, you are trying to appease your casual/zergling playerbase by keeping the mount stomp. While at the same time you're trying to appease to your roamer playerbase by developing multiple dismount skills/traps. Two wrongs do not make a right, you are going about it wrong.

Simply change the mount skill 1 so it does not stomp players, but dismount players instead. That's all you need to do to fix this situation for multiple groups of players. We don't need dismount traps or separate dismount skills. We don't need/want the mounts to stomp players creating unfair combat situations. Please change your course and do the right thing, thanks.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

This is why they should remove downed state but adjust res skills like Battle Standard, Spirit of Nature, and probably change/add something to Guardian that allows to res from full dead so that you can still get the clutch res moments but not have it rely on rally as a mechanic.

People getting carried by rally has certainly
not
disappeared, it is still very much there. I've been in several situations where I could have won a 1v3 or 1v4 if not for downed state and rally. I would prefer these players not getting carried by this mechanic that forces you to cleave a downed enemy, who rightfully should just be dead because they were playing horribly, which puts you into a vulnerable position where you either cleave the downed to
maybe
finish them or you are forced to disengage and that enemy will almost assuredly get ressed.

@"Mil.3562" said:No. This mount stomp is liked a milder and fun version of no down state, which many here has been asking for ever since ANet started it in an event. Enough fun and useful skills on the mount have been removed already. Please ANet.

No. The only ones asking for no down state are players of low skill level who either outnumber fights to win (warclaw stomp) or run some instagib build. There is nothing positive for the game to be gained when having a nice fight with downs on each side and having to use your brain to win the fight but having some plebian come along and press 1 on his mount to instakill.

Down state adds another element to combat in which you can tell the difference between bad players and good players. Good players will use the down as bait to create opposing downs and then the fight really heats up. Know the guard is going to MI? Launch the down. Etc. But no - lets's just let some random pleb come along and quickness-on-steroids-stomp AKA warbanner on auto attack completely disrupt the fight to the point of no return. Yeah, that'll be good for the game /s

My friends and I always fight against more players then we have, so what happens 99% of the time now since they have more players? We lose if
one
of our players
ever
goes down. That's how you kill a game mode. Better believe it - players will leave GW2 the day something better comes along. Too many hits to roaming (marked, mount stomp now).

(Inb4 fighting against a dozen lesser skilled players with a few skilled players does not equal skill and that only 1v1 equates to skill)

I agree but you also on the other hand have the braindead unkillable warriors with stab and EP as passives basically press F for nearly guaranteed res unless you have so much cleave that you out dmg his res power. Or guardians. Or ranger pet ressing with aid from another player. Maybe it would be fair if you didn't insta res from another person dying .. but as someone who only roams.. doesn't play 1shot build but is squishy.. I feel like downed state tends to work against me. Yea, you can use downed as bait that's true. I do it too if I down a player and others try to res. But that only works half the time. And even tho I'm running full zerk I still can't always cleave enough to prevent a res.

There's some mind game to it, but for solo players regardless of 1shot or not I think it's kinda bad for the game. It rewards sloppy play, dying but getting rewarded for pressing F for a few seconds.

Its honestly really amusing that someone with the Soulbeast icon as their forum avatar is complaining about Warrior invulns and stability. That's cute.

Also "doesn't play 1shot build but is squishy" to "I'm running full zerk" even more cute. Sure you're not, just like you're definitely not running Signet of Stone plus the passive? Or definitely not using Strength of the Pack, right? Which if you're not then maybe thats why Warrior seems "unkillable" to you.

That's an interesting first point you made - about implementing no down state and then changing rez skills - maybe for 5 seconds after getting killed, you have a temporary buff where you have a small window for a rez from a skill like MI or IoL. Because I agree it would be nice to maintain clutch rez.

And just to add in what you said about Warrior, Warrior has really great "tank burst" but after it's 15 seconds of not taking any damage are done, it has very long cooldowns and it's pretty much only limited to dodges/Counter.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

not
disappeared, it is still very much there. I've been in several situations where I could have won a 1v3 or 1v4 if not for downed state and rally. I would prefer these players not getting carried by this mechanic that forces you to cleave a downed enemy, who rightfully should just be dead because they were playing horribly, which puts you into a vulnerable position where you either cleave the downed to
maybe
finish them or you are forced to disengage and that enemy will almost assuredly get ressed.

one
of our players
ever

Stop the projection. I am not using MM, I'm not calling warrior OP, infact I don't have any trouble with them at all unless I'm fighting people from top of the spvp leaderboard. Also I'm not using SoS, I repeatedly in my post say that skill is pretty bad. So stop the stupid projection. I'm not saying warrior is OP, again.

But in the specific scenario where warrior comes into an ongoing fight with all passives ready, you basically cannot prevent the warrior from getting a guaranteed rez unless you have 2 players to cleave the downed player at the same time.

Only thing I see that needs to change is getting it to put a player in combat.

Though I'd rather they change how mounting the warclaw works, make it mountable in combat and put a 3 minute cooldown after dismounting before mounting again. Good focusing from a disciplined group results in dead bodies early on in a fight, forces zergs to travel on foot or (risk falling apart due to different cooldowns on mounts) which lets reinforcements/enemies catch up, prevents a person from locking down another in combat while a bigger group travels over on mount to kill.

@bigo.9037 said:

not
maybe

one
of our players
ever

Stop the projection. I am not using MM, I'm not calling warrior OP, infact I don't have any trouble with them at all unless I'm fighting people from top of the spvp leaderboard. Also I'm not using SoS, I repeatedly in my post say that skill is pretty bad. So stop the stupid projection. I'm not saying warrior is OP, again.

But in the specific scenario where warrior comes into an ongoing fight with all passives ready, you basically cannot prevent the warrior from getting a guaranteed rez unless you have 2 players to cleave the downed player at the same time.

My point in implying hypocrisy from you is that other classes, especially Soulbeast, have similar skills or passives to do just that. It was just odd to single out Warrior and I was being a dick for the sake of being a dick about it when I called it out.

However that does just reinforce my dislike of downed state and rally, because these things exist and it can lead to a possible 1v3 that you could win but might ultimately lose all simply because of people getting rubbed to life by their friends. It doesn't punish people playing like derpadoos enough. During the No Downed State week that WvW had I was able to pull off a 1v5, only time I was able to do that, and it was because these players were playing like hot garbo. It just reinforced to me "Well people really do get carried by downed state and rally. I no longer like this as a mechanic."

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

not
maybe

one
of our players
ever

That's an interesting first point you made - about implementing no down state and then changing rez skills - maybe for 5 seconds after getting killed, you have a temporary buff where you have a small window for a rez from a skill like MI or IoL. Because I agree it would be nice to maintain clutch rez.

And just to add in what you said about Warrior, Warrior has really great "tank burst" but after it's 15 seconds of not taking any damage are done, it has very long cooldowns and it's pretty much only limited to dodges/Counter.

As do I, in fact that was part of what made GvG fun in GW1. You had limited resses or resses on cooldown and you needed to be smart about it, especially smart about not letting your teammates die and thus force you to use a res to bring them back into the fight. There is no such risk like that in GW2 with the downed state because its not gated behind a cooldown or a restriction other than "They have less health the more they go down" which yeah sure that plays a counter balance role but with the way healing is now in GW2 the moment that person gets back up they are probably back to full in seconds because of a FB, Scrapper or Tempest and your fight goes right back to square one and they didn't really sacrifice anything for it even if they get cleaved while getting the res, if there is a healer present...the res happens.

@Krypto.2069 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:hell NO, either have no down state or mount stomp

tired of seeing a bunch of downed enemies suddenly all coming back up just because they killed one of our guys during zerg fights

You do realize it’s one for one right? So... they just were better at killing you?

one for one??? what do you mean?

It’s one rally for one death.

Crepuscular,Yes, as Strider said it's one for one. Anet changed the rallying mechanic some time ago in WvW. (The "rally-bot" from times of old doesn't exist anymore.)

From the Wiki:"In World vs World, the defeat of a player will only rally one other player... "

Oh, and Mount Stomping to
STAY
gets my VOTE! :+1:ROAR, ROAR, ROAR!!! Too dang FUNNY and FUN!!! :lol:

CHeers :)

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

not
maybe

one
of our players
ever

My point in implying hypocrisy from you is that other classes, especially Soulbeast, have similar skills or passives to do just that. It was just odd to single out Warrior and I was being a kitten for the sake of being a kitten about it when I called it out.

However that does just reinforce my dislike of downed state and rally, because these things exist and it can lead to a possible 1v3 that you could win but might ultimately lose all simply because of people getting rubbed to life by their friends. It doesn't punish people playing like derpadoos enough. During the No Downed State week that WvW had I was able to pull off a 1v5, only time I was able to do that, and it was because these players were playing like hot garbo. It just reinforced to me "Well people really do get carried by downed state and rally. I no longer like this as a mechanic."

not
maybe

one
of our players
ever

As do I, in fact that was part of what made GvG fun in GW1. You had limited resses or resses on cooldown and you needed to be smart about it, especially smart about not letting your teammates die and thus force you to use a res to bring them back into the fight. There is no such risk like that in GW2 with the downed state because its not gated behind a cooldown or a restriction other than "They have less health the more they go down" which yeah sure that plays a counter balance role but with the way healing is now in GW2 the moment that person gets back up they are probably back to full in seconds because of a FB, Scrapper or Tempest and your fight goes right back to square one and they didn't really sacrifice anything for it even if they get cleaved while getting the res, if there is a healer present...the res happens.

Haha so we already agree lol. Yea perhaps there are rangers out there that COULD run that and DO, but pretty much all warriors do it because it's part of the build. A ranger running MM and SoS is usually incredibly weak/vulnerable once the passive and SoS run out. Whereas warrior has lots of other things to keep itself alive afterwards.But yes, we do agree. No downed state showed us all what we kinda already knew: downed state carries all the really bad players wayy more than it should.

Please don't remove that. Being able to thin out an enemy zerg with your own small group of defenders in an outnumbered settings by removing downstate is good. When you're fighting a 40-man zerg with your group of maybe 5-8 people with not much hope of getting through that fight alive to the other zerg ALL running scourges or longbow rangers in a blob, having that chance to at least get the end tail of the zerg and kill maybe 2 or 3 of them gives us hope to continue

@Karnasis.6892 said:Can we just leave the mount as is? I get the mount has been pretty powerful, but when is it enough? We've only had nerfs since the launch of this thing (and potentially some to come)

No thanks, I'm good with the stomp.

I completely agree. The people who never wanted mounts are the ones that keep calling for all the nerfs and won't be happy until the mount is nerfed so much that it will basically be like not even having the mount anymore. It's ridiculous.

Honestly if you were downed due to mount stomp, you were going to go down anyway. It just makes the fights go a little faster which is good.Thats really not true at all where downed state can actually turn fights. For 50+ zerging I agree, downed would die regardless but smallscale is a whole other fight where downed state actually have a considerable impact on the fight. The main problem is the type of griefing it introduces. Let me pose another scenario to you:

2 reds fight 2 blues. They are evenly matched. A red goes down, but the blues trying to stomp are knocked back and the red is successfully ressed by some facetanking. The fight continues. A green comes in and... just sits there. On a mount. Watching. As both sides wear each other down, a blue goes down. The surviving one got stealth and stab ready, goes in for the res... and the green of course leaps in to stomp. Blue lost in an instant.

Is this the type of fights we want?

Really?

With the stomp in place, there is no way to stop this. Its not like either side can attack the mounted, he'll just stay out of range. Being on a mount should instead lead to only being able to fight a mount (via dismount), not other players.

If you can pose a realistic scenario where you need the mount stomp to win a fight and how it is good for the gameplay I'm all ears. Also why smallscale is worth being sacrified for that.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Honestly if you were downed due to mount stomp, you were going to go down anyway. It just makes the fights go a little faster which is good.Thats really not true at all where downed state can actually turn fights. For 50+ zerging I agree, downed would die regardless but smallscale is a whole other fight where downed state
actually have a considerable impact on the fight
. The main problem is the type of griefing it introduces. Let me pose another scenario to you:

2 reds fight 2 blues. They are evenly matched. A red goes down, but the blues trying to stomp are knocked back and the red is successfully ressed by some facetanking. The fight continues. A green comes in and... just sits there. On a mount. Watching. As both sides wear each other down, a blue goes down. The surviving one got stealth and stab ready, goes in for the res... and the green of course leaps in to stomp. Blue lost in an instant.

Is this the type of fights we want?

Really?

With the stomp in place, there is no way to stop this. Its not like either side can attack the mounted, he'll just stay out of range. Being on a mount should instead lead to only being able to fight a mount (via dismount), not other players.

If you can pose a realistic scenario where you
need
the mount stomp to win a fight and how it is
good for the gameplay
I'm all ears. Also why smallscale is worth being sacrified for that.

There's no point reasoning with the zerging mass bro...WvW isn't WvW anymore.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

If you can pose a realistic scenario where you
need
the mount stomp to win a fight and how it is
good for the gameplay
I'm all ears. Also why smallscale is worth being sacrified for that.

When you're in a group of 5 going against a zerg of 40 trying desperately to defend a keep or tower, and best you can do is gank a few stragglers and instakill them just to be an annoyance. I play in a server and a link that's half as populated as the rest, this situation is a regular occurrence. I'm happy when we got that instakill skill, because us, the smaller group, can actually do something instead of just watching helplessly as the zerg mow down everything!

It's good to at least keep morale up in bleak times like that, by having more options for fights. Can't go face to face? Then gank and kill the few left behind. Or maybe even just the driver to kill the zerg's momentum. I feel sad that I see a few new faces all bewildered as to why there's not many people to defend, and they ended up not staying at all or just transferring to another more populated server for ease.

I'm already sad that it seems like your movement speed on a mount in an enemy area feels similar to your movement speed on foot, weapon stowed, with quickness boon. This, and the fact you can;t stealth on mounts anymore, means that you might as well just run on foot in enemy areas. I'm already seeing talks to make the second Sniff skill cost supply, even though it has a 60 seconds cooldown, a significant period. And that it only shows the dots to you, in which the dead still shows up in that, and me not knowing for sure whether it shows stealthed enemies as well.

Take all of these away, and that mount might as well be a lapcat, an accessory.

@Ruufio.1496 said:It's like warbanner on auto attack. Just remove it.

An example of how dumb mount stomp is: duo roaming with a friend, we get a downed and my friend goes down, I'm going to stealth him so that I can res hi---- AAAAAAAAAND PLAYER 4 ENTERS THE ARENA AND MOUNT STOMPS HIM OHHHHHHHHHHH! SICK PLAY!!!!!!

Yeah... remove the stomp from mount. Just make it do damage and dismount.

Wait, so if player 4 enters the arena it means that before that there were 3 players , you were duo roaming with a friend then it means you were doing 2v1, almost lost it and yet you come to forum Q_Qing about mount state? Omegalul.Imo no, if you want to delete mount stomp you can also delete mount, idc. Skill 1 is balanced, if there should be sth to be fixed/added then it is a dismount (both players) on skill 1 if you hit enemy that is mounted. Also some kind of trap that dismount players would be appreciated

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Svarty.8019 said:TL;DRDon't change our mount!Yeah, dont change... our... mount... that everyone say no one wanted... but now is
our
... mount... wat?

Not everyone said the didn't want the mount, the vocal minority said it. The same folks who have been constantly pushing the mount to be nerfed with a passion because it hurts whatever particular play style they have... supposedly.

I was in favor of the mount since they announced it. I'm primarily a roamer and loved the idea. Most of the players in my guild liked the idea or at least waited till it was put in the game before hating on it (for the record only really one or two of my guildies out and out hates the thing). I still love it even now, I'm just sick of how many changes have been done since it was put in the game.

Honestly after implementing the dismounts skill, I want them to leave it alone. That's the final change needed imo. People can argue against me on it, but I think the dismount ability if implemented right can solve a lot of the hate towards the mount. I'm looking forward to when it gets implemented and people find out 1200 range on the thing is a bit much.