xxxxxxxxxx

Flandre.2870

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really want to see mesmer nerfed to the ground because "it's still meta cuz portal"? That's what happened in HoT and many people were predicting portal was either going to other classes too or get deleted from PVP. I think this way is healthier and mesmer becomes much more easy to balance (relatively speaking).

So no, please don't.

Agreed 100%. Mesmer's ability to think strategically about multiple places on the map is what makes mesmer, well, mesmer. Portal plays were always the single best part of conquest. Sadly I think this thread will fall on deaf ears as the community largely prefers metas where mesmers are less viable, with multiple frequent posters as well as some of the most influential people in terms of shaping public opinion in the PvP Community like Jawgeous outright saying the class should be competitively unviable and needs to be "Destroyed".

And it will doubly fall on deaf ears as Arenanet have almost never, never, never directly gone back on a nerf before. Like they are consistently more likely to nerf a meta skill or trait to the point of being universally unused. Rather than unnerf it completely or even slightly bit by bit, they'll completely rework it from the ground up. Frankly Arenanet is more likely to look at portal after about 2 years of it being unused in SPvP post nerf into something completely different like a trap that forces an enemy player through to the original location if they walk on it or are CC'd into it. This is not a suggestion, I just think based on how Anet operates something completely left field with the skill is way more likely than them directly unnerfing it.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:Can someone explain what the big deal is? When I watched streams before the nerf, a lot of mesmer used portal part 2 right away anyway. Why the fuss now?

By the time you move from one node to an adjacent one you'll have 10-15 seconds to decide to use portal. That's basically nothing. And if you don't it goes on a 42 second cooldown. At 60 seconds duration for Portal Weaving if you decided against using it there was only a 12 second cooldown before you can drop Portal Exeunt.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:Can someone explain what the big deal is? When I watched streams before the nerf, a lot of mesmer used portal part 2 right away anyway. Why the fuss now?

Before you could basically be in 2 places at once. Was kitten stuipd. I remember 1 game I was using my mes. Won node. Went mid,helped won node. An ele then runs to our home to decap because his team died. I just used portal to get to the node instsntly. He effectively burned all his mobility for nothing because I had 1 skill that trumped everything he had. Was pretty brain dead. All I needed then was to sit on node n lace him with Condi and he then died.

Thank God they nerfed that and axe. So this cheese doesn't exist.

@Odik.4587 said:

@"Megametzler.5729" said:Do you really want to see mesmer nerfed to the ground because "it's still meta cuz portal"?Its not nerfed enough? :joy:Probably for you will be never enough until mesmer becomes a clone.(...)

I am an ele main. Tell me more about nerfs, please, I would love to hear your stories.

Do you not remember condi chrono in HoT? Which was only meta due to portal and severly lacked fighting capabilities? Do we really want these times back?

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Megametzler.5729 said:Do you really want to see mesmer nerfed to the ground because "it's still meta cuz portal"?Its not nerfed enough? :joy:Probably for you will be never enough until mesmer becomes a clone.(...)

I am an ele main. Tell me more about nerfs, please, I would love to hear your stories.

Do you not remember condi chrono in HoT? Which was only meta due to portal and severly lacked fighting capabilities? Do we really want these times back?

What do you mean?

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Megametzler.5729 said:Do you really want to see mesmer nerfed to the ground because "it's still meta cuz portal"?Its not nerfed enough? :joy:Probably for you will be never enough until mesmer becomes a clone.(...)

That isnt true even . The only time chrono been 'trash' at fighting others its before pof release they nerfed it and just because pof was coming I believe.Also its pretty same situation for mirage now. Scepter is dumb-carry stick for everything mesmer plays and chaos traitline (you couldnt play without chaos because you were pretty easy to kill without protection/vigor but now its mandatory, wooo!) Take it away and we will see what is left

@Quadox.7834 said:

What do you mean?

Concerning what?

@Odik.4587 said:

That isnt true even . The only time chrono been 'trash' at fighting others its before pof release they nerfed it and just because pof was coming I believe.Also its pretty same situation for mirage now. Scepter is dumb-carry stick for everything mesmer plays and chaos traitline (you couldnt play without chaos because you were pretty easy to kill without protection/vigor but now its mandatory, wooo!) Take it away and we will see what is left

Maybe I overexaggerated a little. :wink:

But condi chrono was still meta right before PoF while kind of lacking in many other fields - mainly due to portal. It supplied superior mobility for teams and allowed huge map rotations, so to make it not completely OP, mesmer had to be nerfed to be not even in pure fighting capabilities (condi lacking in damage, power in survivability - again, relatively speaking).

The choice has been for a while: Either give portal to others, nerf portal or nerf mesmer all around, because it's single utility skill is just incredibly powerful. Choose one.

(And yes, again, I think the nerfs were harsh.)

I am absolutely with you on chaos/scepter changes. I think we agree on the condi mirage nerfs not addressing the right issues (even worse, often nerfs to power mesmer) and the need for an overhaul. I.e. make sword 2 great again instead of scepter 2.

If you were on the side making portal plays, it was great. You felt super smart and badass to show up and quickly decap/cap a point while wrecking some noobs.

If you weren't on the side making portal plays, it was really awful, because there is no counterplay to portal. You couldn't close entrances/exits, nor could you take the portal. For classes with less mobility, the only counterplay is literally sitting on the entrance and hoping that the enemy mesmer shows up by themselves. It allowed mesmers to functionally occupy two nodes at once. As somebody pointed out, this meant that balancing mesmer was a nightmare because you had to consider all of their abilities in the context of how powerful portal was, in much the same way that necro was defined by Epidemic in PvE.