Can we talk about Guardian and Superior Rune of the Flame Legion? <3

Wubbbi.8172

Hello :)

I am a Guardian main and I love the buildcraft behind GuildWars2. Now let me be clear first: This is not about Meta-Builds!

I play as a precious Asura Guardian, mostly as Dragonhunter. I mostly play PvE content, sometimes WvW and Raids too.

As the balance patch came out yesterday, I took my hands out of my pocket and started to change my Dragonhunter a little bit. I also would like to use something else than the Scholar Rune, because it is pretty boring. As I said, I would love to use unique and special build.

So, what came to my mind, especially since the changes to Amplified Wrath, is the use of Superior Rune of the Flame Legion as a guadian (Dragonhunter in this case)

Now see, here is my basic idea: Because of the Virtue of Justice, every 3 attacks (Which I can apply very quick with GS or traps!!), I inflict burning. With "Amplified Wrath" this burning dmg is increased by 15% and the burning duration is increased by 20%.Now there is another Trait called Inner Fire that gives you furry when you hit an enemy with at least 3 stacks of burn.In addition there is a minor trait called Radiant Power that increases your crit chance against burning targest by 10%.

Now do keep in mind, I do not want to create a condi build here. I want to use the condition burning to increase my overall dmg output! Especially since the burning condition itself deals the highest dmg compared to other conditions without any additional condi-dmg stats.

And here comes the rune: It gives you 175 power, which is good for a power build. It increases your burn duration by 50% (!!!) and you deal 7% more dmg to burning targest.

To sum this up: (Rune and Traits)

• We have every 3 attacks 1 stack of burning (Which is easy to do!)
  • This burning dmg is increased by 15%
  • The duration of the burning is increased by 70% (50% + 20%)
  • Our crit chance against burning targets is increased by 10%
  • We deal 7% more dmg to targest and gain furry for tragest that suffer from burning.

So wouldn't that mean that our traget is constantly under 3+ stack effects of burning (because of the long duration), we deal 7% more dmg + the dmg burning inflicts by its own (+15% from trait) and we get furry and we crit for 10% more?!

This gets even more interesting if we look at the Zeal traits! You get another +7% dmg against burning targest and your symbols have another high chance to inflict burning!

To me, this sounds awesome! Even if we are not a condi build, this sounds like a very good source of dmg! We deal high burning dmg (as a power build) and we have many buffs to our outgoing dmg. Remember the idea: We use the burning to buff ourself! (Which sounds so cool!)

Now my question to the people here: What do you think? I don't want to say that this is by any mean some big new meta whatever stuff. But I like the idea! I hope I get some inspiration from you guys too :)

P.s. Please keep in mind that the goal of this is to use and discuss a non-meta build! It will not help me if you just say "Use meta builds, they are better". I would like to discuss this with you <3

for open world the biggest thing for this build is lack of quickness. I have been using firework runes and power quickbrand for open world and it’s amazing. You have 25might easyliy with permanent quickness and a bunch of other boons depends on what utility you bring. So I think I cannot go back to a build without quickness in open world anymore.For raid or fractal it might be an interesting build. Kind of hybrid damage. Will try it and to see what happens

This is really interesting to me more so for Firebrand, especially considering the meta build for power quickbrand already calls for those runes. I don't doubt that this will be meta for Firebrand, and could even possibly be a compelling reason to just use the same set of runes between that build and DH. I think Inner Fire is definitely more useful while alone / out in open-world, but in group content you should have external sources of fury.

For a Power DPS build Scholar Runes / Ogre Runes will always be top dog because of Power/Ferocity stats. Guardian is easy to crit cap, so added Ferocity is a raw damage increase. The 5% damage above 90% health is really icing on the cake as it's hard to keep up in open world (for which Ogre runes might be better for the doggo).

The only reason to not use Scholar / Ogre Runes would be their exorbitant cost (TY Anet), so just below those I would agree with @PandaJimmy.7563 and go with Fireworks runes.

@PandaJimmy.7563 said:I have been using firework runes and power quickbrand for open world and it’s amazing.

Superior Rune of Fireworks is one of the better rune sets they added to the game, and is imo a game changer.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" Sorry but this is not why I opened up this thread. I wanted to discuss the "build" or let's say "idea" I have with this combination.This is not about scholar at all, as I stated in my inital post. I personaly don't like Scholar and that is why I wanted to come up with a new idea.

Greetings

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running Flame Legion runes (open world) because they were cheap and as you point out have dual synergy: they increase fire damage/uptime and also you can get multiple sources of additional damage to burning foes. I'm in the middle of switching armor away from my training-wheels armor with lots of Vitality and don't feel like I totally have things down, but I like it.

Virtues' Permeating Wrath also causes Virtue of Justice's fire to have a 240 radius around your target.

@Andred.1087 said:This is really interesting to me more so for Firebrand, especially considering the meta build for power quickbrand already calls for those runes. I don't doubt that this will be meta for Firebrand, and could even possibly be a compelling reason to just use the same set of runes between that build and DH. I think Inner Fire is definitely more useful while alone / out in open-world, but in group content you should have external sources of fury.

You are correct, raid power quickness firebrand uses this rune

Have you looked at Superior Rune of Baelfire as an alternative , you lose the 7% increase in damage to burning but you gain 7% of Power converted to Expertise plus one of 10% modifiers is to all Condition Durations so you could very easily cap out at 100% on burning duration and at the same time you can have a higher Condition Duration with any of your other Conditions(my personal choice is Vulnerability which I have gotten to 80% using this Rune set plus the Sigil of Peril) and they are also cheaper than Flame Legion. I would consider this a better choice overall

• 4 weeks later...

You are bordering in on what I have been running for quite some time. I have tried flame legion runes but find that balthazar runes are far superior due to that 10% increase in health buff it got a while back. Of course, I'm running pure hybrid (in most fights I sit at 2900 power, 2960 condi thanks to the 25 might stacks from zeal line) with virtually no sustain but am constantly at the top for dps in wvw engagements. Like eles and necros, I just rely heavily on the support around me or play kind of like a thief in small group/roaming action (dodges, leaps, burst, get in and out quick kind of thing) or like the old ritualist bomber from back in gw1. For more of this kind of play style, feel free to watch some of my game play montages on youtube. Just search for Figrin Bomb and you'll find them easily.

@Nordic Natedog.4360 said:You are bordering in on what I have been running for quite some time. I have tried flame legion runes but find that balthazar runes are far superior due to that 10% increase in health buff it got a while back. Of course, I'm running pure hybrid (in most fights I sit at 2900 power, 2960 condi thanks to the 25 might stacks from zeal line) with virtually no sustain but am constantly at the top for dps in wvw engagements. Like eles and necros, I just rely heavily on the support around me or play kind of like a thief in small group/roaming action (dodges, leaps, burst, get in and out quick kind of thing) or like the old ritualist bomber from back in gw1. For more of this kind of play style, feel free to watch some of my game play montages on youtube. Just search for Figrin Bomb and you'll find them easily.

Only issue with running burn guard/dh/fb right now is scrapper's purity of purpose. all that sweet burning gets turned into aegis and makes any group running scrappers immortal =/

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@Nordic Natedog.4360 said:You are bordering in on what I have been running for quite some time. I have tried flame legion runes but find that balthazar runes are far superior due to that 10% increase in health buff it got a while back. Of course, I'm running pure hybrid (in most fights I sit at 2900 power, 2960 condi thanks to the 25 might stacks from zeal line) with virtually no sustain but am constantly at the top for dps in wvw engagements. Like eles and necros, I just rely heavily on the support around me or play kind of like a thief in small group/roaming action (dodges, leaps, burst, get in and out quick kind of thing) or like the old ritualist bomber from back in gw1. For more of this kind of play style, feel free to watch some of my game play montages on youtube. Just search for Figrin Bomb and you'll find them easily.

Only issue with running burn guard/dh/fb right now is scrapper's purity of purpose. all that sweet burning gets turned into aegis and makes any group running scrappers immortal =/

Yes, they can cleanse (turning burns to blocks) but they can't do it indefinitely. And that is the beauty of running hybrid since you can still hit hard with my direct damage.