enabling stereoscopic rendering for vr headset

You turn on 3D support on your video card settings first. If it isn't enabled on your card it won't be available in-game. That being said, after the 10-17-17 patch all 3D support went away and the game will crash as soon as the game starts, or shortly thereafter. As on now (10-21-17) GW2 has not patched this problem, so, even if yo set your video card up to render 3D the game will crash. We have to keep the pressure up on ArenaNet to fix this problem. There are a lot of people that need and want this 3D support. Speak up. Make a ticket. Start a thread in Forums. GW2 let a third party into the graphics system (look in your root directory; read and weep).

@Dane Claibourne.1379 said:You turn on 3D support on your video card settings first. If it isn't enabled on your card it won't be available in-game. That being said, after the 10-17-17 patch all 3D support went away and the game will crash as soon as the game starts, or shortly thereafter. As on now (10-21-17) GW2 has not patched this problem, so, even if yo set your video card up to render 3D the game will crash. We have to keep the pressure up on ArenaNet to fix this problem. There are a lot of people that need and want this 3D support. Speak up. Make a ticket. Start a thread in Forums. GW2 let a third party into the graphics system (look in your root directory; read and weep).

oh, that's too bad. can you tell me which setting on my nvidia control panel i should turn on for this to work? i've never had to do this before for any game.

To GW2 I say the following: If your team decides to remove Stereoscopic support (after giving it to us for since GW2 start!) we need to know. I, for one, will play much less in 2D and do not play using VR at all; most of us do not. I will stop spending money to do expensive things and won't buy in your store. GW2 will become one of many back-burner games for me. It was literally the 3D that kept me hooked and playing for hours. The 3D effects on the Legionaries was also amazing. If you pull 3D support in favor of higher VR resolution without giving us a 3D choice, then in my book you are criminals for causing all of us that paid for the Stereoscopic in your "Options" panel. I will stop trusting ArenaNet and flame you in as many places as possible on customer service.

@"Dane Claibourne.1379" said:To GW2 I say the following: If your team decides to remove Stereoscopic support (after giving it to us for since GW2 start!) we need to know. I, for one, will play much less in 2D and do not play using VR at all; most of us do not. I will stop spending money to do expensive things and won't buy in your store. GW2 will become one of many back-burner games for me. It was literally the 3D that kept me hooked and playing for hours. The 3D effects on the Legionaries was also amazing. If you pull 3D support in favor of higher VR resolution without giving us a 3D choice, then in my book you are criminals for causing all of us that paid for the Stereoscopic in your "Options" panel. I will stop trusting ArenaNet and flame you in as many places as possible on customer service.

When did anyone even hint at the possibility of removing support for Stereoscopic 3D? My brain hurts.

OK, to turn on 3D on your NVidia card go to the NVidia control panel you can access by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting it in the resulting drop-down menu. Once you select it you will see selections in a left pane panel. Choose the 3D rendering choice. If you choose 3D management you will only get the choices to tweak settings. Go further down in the selections; I believe it is the forth choice from the bottom. I always go into the other selections at the bottom and select NVidia for the other options, as well. When you select the (I'm not on my computer right now, so I can't see it) the correct 3D rendering link it will take you to a page where you have to click a button to enable 3D. It will then guild you through the process by opening a series of test screens. When I set mine up after thinking I had a 3D monitor I was saddened by NVidia telling me during this setup that my monitor was not in fact an NVidia approved monitor. I was determined to see GW2 in 3D, so, I tracked down NVidia's approved list and bought one (another reason this sudden lack of support for 3D is bothering me...I spent a lot on money on it).

Your second question: GW2 has had 3D support available in their "Options" panel since GW2 started. Many of us were excited by that and a small majority of us took GW2 up on that option by paying through the nose with time, effort, and money. Since the 10-17 update for Halloween 3D stopped working and will crash. The option remains in the Option panel, but doesn't work. When GW2 tech is asked about it they dodge the question and blame it on a third part (see the root directory of your GW2 game to find the readme file on this) that wasn't part of GW2 until the 10-17 patch. And, GW2 is not even doing us the courtesy of saying they are sorry for the inconvenience, but they are working on correcting the problem. If you, or anyone else, has seen them do this in another thread I would like to know where it is.

@"Dane Claibourne.1379" said:OK, to turn on 3D on your NVidia card go to the NVidia control panel you can access by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting it in the resulting drop-down menu. Once you select it you will see selections in a left pane panel. Choose the 3D rendering choice. If you choose 3D management you will only get the choices to tweak settings. Go further down in the selections; I believe it is the forth choice from the bottom. I always go into the other selections at the bottom and select NVidia for the other options, as well. When you select the (I'm not on my computer right now, so I can't see it) the correct 3D rendering link it will take you to a page where you have to click a button to enable 3D. It will then guild you through the process by opening a series of test screens. When I set mine up after thinking I had a 3D monitor I was saddened by NVidia telling me during this setup that my monitor was not in fact an NVidia approved monitor. I was determined to see GW2 in 3D, so, I tracked down NVidia's approved list and bought one (another reason this sudden lack of support for 3D is bothering me...I spent a lot on money on it).

Your second question: GW2 has had 3D support available in their "Options" panel since GW2 started. Many of us were excited by that and a small majority of us took GW2 up on that option by paying through the nose with time, effort, and money. Since the 10-17 update for Halloween 3D stopped working and will crash. The option remains in the Option panel, but doesn't work. When GW2 tech is asked about it they dodge the question and blame it on a third part (see the root directory of your GW2 game to find the readme file on this) that wasn't part of GW2 until the 10-17 patch. And, GW2 is not even doing us the courtesy of saying they are sorry for the inconvenience, but they are working on correcting the problem. If you, or anyone else, has seen them do this in another thread I would like to know where it is.

thanks. i didn't have that option on my nvidia control panel so i tried reinstalling video drivers and it turned out that i didn't have 3d vision drivers installed. i see it now.

is that so? for some reason, i've never noticed it till path of fire which is odd because i've tinkered a lot with client settings in the past. mine was probably bugged. oh well.

You can get VR in Guild Wars 2 on a HTC Vive, if you use something like TriDef VR. Or TriDef 3D with Steam's Virtual Desktop. I would suggest also installing OSVR advanced settings, so you can move in closer to the screen to make it a first person experience, instead of a TV.

You will need a powerful desktop computer to drive VR and HTC Vive at the same time. I can only pull it off with GTX 1080 SLI enabled.

You may also want to look into FPS Scenery Mode, which allows for zoom out combat view in battles, then zooms in when not in battle, so you can first person view and enjoy the scenery. It works together with FPS mode in the game's settings. Also would suggest setting the field of view to the max, slider all the way to the right.https://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7118

Good luck and enjoy VR HTC Vive. :)

@"Loli Ruri.8307" said:You can get VR in Guild Wars 2 on a HTC Vive, if you use something like TriDef VR. Or TriDef 3D with Steam's Virtual Desktop. I would suggest also installing OSVR advanced settings, so you can move in closer to the screen to make it a first person experience, instead of a TV.

You will need a powerful desktop computer to drive VR and HTC Vive at the same time. I can only pull it off with GTX 1080 SLI enabled.

You may also want to look into FPS Scenery Mode, which allows for zoom out combat view in battles, then zooms in when not in battle, so you can first person view and enjoy the scenery. It works together with FPS mode in the game's settings. Also would suggest setting the field of view to the max, slider all the way to the right.https://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7118

Good luck and enjoy VR HTC Vive. :)

hey. i've actually tried tridef before and i also have vorpx which has the z-buffer 3d working for this game. they're decent experiences but it's more like simulated 3d, which is completely different to me. true 3d would be something like vorpx's geometry 3d mode but it doesn't have that support for gw2. that's why i was hoping that if i could somehow get gw2 to natively do stereoscopic rendering, i could just use virtual desktop to play it and have true 3d. but yeah, 3d vision uses a different 3d implementation that isn't compatible with my headset. thanks for that though.

• 1 year later...

Tridef.com appears to be a dead site now. Any other options to get this working? I have an Alienware R7 with GTX 1080 Ti and the Vive VR Headset Kit. FYI, I have the Vive VR Headset working fine in the Vive Viveport as well as on the Steam VR. Looks and works great so the hardware is set. The issue is that I cannot enable the 3D Stereoscopic setting in the Nvidia Control Panel as it seems to only work with Nvidia products as shown below.

nvidia-3d-setup.jpg

So when I am in Guild Wars 2, the 3D Stereoscopic is not functional meaning I can't click in the checkbox and I am in full screen mode.

If I could get the 3D stereoscopic enabled, then my next issue is how to get the game to come up on the headset. Too bad someone hasn't created a step 1-2-3- tutorial on how to integrate all this VR crap together!!!

Technology is great...when it works! :)

@"Dane Claibourne.1379" said:To GW2 I say the following: If your team decides to remove Stereoscopic support (after giving it to us for since GW2 start!) we need to know. I, for one, will play much less in 2D and do not play using VR at all; most of us do not. I will stop spending money to do expensive things and won't buy in your store. GW2 will become one of many back-burner games for me. It was literally the 3D that kept me hooked and playing for hours. The 3D effects on the Legionaries was also amazing. If you pull 3D support in favor of higher VR resolution without giving us a 3D choice, then in my book you are criminals for causing all of us that paid for the Stereoscopic in your "Options" panel. I will stop trusting ArenaNet and flame you in as many places as possible on customer service.

Lol.. hilarious story full of so many assumptionsWhere did you even arrive at those conclusions honestly.. ooh and you will flame ANET in as many places as possible.. dang your good, you even made me bite a nail in fear..