Easiest class to play? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Easiest class to play?

Hey, I'm just curious as to what you guys feel is the easiest class to play? If I'm looking for the most face-roll class that I can play when I don't really want to pay attention, what would that class be?

I'm looking to do world content. Assume I don't have (and won't for a while) elite specs. I want something that's good at AoE clearing, and super good at survivability so I won't be punished for not paying attention.

Melee, ranged, whatever. Doesn't matter.

Ps. What weapons would you suggest for the class you're suggesting?

Comments

• Okami Amaterasu.9237Okami Amaterasu.9237 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019

. . . .

• Okami Amaterasu.9237Okami Amaterasu.9237 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019

. . . .

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Okami Amaterasu.9237 said:

@Lily.1935 said:
    FOr reaper greatsword and Axe+warhorn.

Not enough Dagger/Dagger love? :s

Nah Axe/Warhorn works okay too, but you'll want Banshee's Wail if you're using WH and that means giving up Vampiric Presence. You do still Life Steal a little from just the "Vampiric" Minor Trait in BM, but I guess it's up to whichever weapons people prefer to use. :)

I use d/wh and d/f on mine, lol. All melee reaper minion master power/heals. Reaches ~15 minions in good conditions, the more enemies you fight the better. Anything below 5+ veterans and 20+ normals at once is boring.

• Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2019

With no specific order: necro, ranger, warrior and thief. Just to note, easiest doesn't necessary mean best, if there's one.

@Eramonster.2718 said:
    Just to note, easiest doesn't necessary mean best, if there's one.

Its fairly relative as the "worse" it gets for some people, the better it allow others to perform. Say in a group of 5 very average open world peeps, a minion master reaper can facetank bosses, allowing 4 zerkers to work their deeps. With 5 very average zerkers, the boss would probably smash them to bits at 80% hp and then no one has the sustain to res, ha.

I did the inquest boss room yesterday on random (hey I was there for a vendor and saw the portal) and in the final sequence where you kill both of them, I think I ressed people 30-40 times. Note that we where only about 20 peeps in there, lol. If I had been the "best" spec I probably wouldnt have helped that much with dps because people would have dropped like flies anyway.

• Tataienstein.7581Tataienstein.7581 Member ✭✭
    edited March 4, 2019

Necro is easy but 2 of my friends that got into the game think its too much ability (because of shroud).
    Thief, daredevil especially ls really straight foward and have amazing dps

Other one is warrior since you don’t have elite spec. If you want to do group content just use banner and you have 4 skill to NOT think about

• Personally i prefer the elementalist with a staff. Yes, it could be a little bit difficult, because you need to swap between 4 different elemental stances, but its also rewarding. Its quite hard to get killed as an ele in world pve content, as you have many ways to move away from enemies, prevent to get damage, heal yourself, let a pet tank or simply do massive AoE.

• BlaqueFyre.5678BlaqueFyre.5678 Member ✭✭✭✭

Easiest class to play? Warrior, it has enough passive defenses that you don’t have to worry about much PvE wise, PvP wise it’s extremely easy to pickup you will have to learn it to be really good at it(like most classes) but it can carry people learning the game well enough.

• Seems like 90% of responders missed the part where OP said he doesn't have elite specs and wants open-world AOE capability.

Warrior axe/axe or greatsword
    Necro staff + minions + epidemic
    Guardian greatsword
    Ranger axe/axe
    Mesmer staff

• Easiest to pick up and play has got to be Axe/axe signet warrior. Close 2nd is revenant sword/x shiro/Janis; just activate impossible odds, auto attack till out of energy, f1, vengeful hammers, auto attack till out of power, f1, repeat.

• Remixex.2089Remixex.2089 Member ✭✭

Throwing efficiency out of the room and just focus on face roll play a power minion necro with axe. Press 2 and let your minions loose

• Revolution.5409Revolution.5409 Member ✭✭✭

The warrior is the class corresponds to what you are looking for.

• InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ranger. Period.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Saimeren.4952 said:
    Hey, I'm just curious as to what you guys feel is the easiest class to play? If I'm looking for the most face-roll class that I can play when I don't really want to pay attention, what would that class be?

Sounds like Minion based Necromancer is what you're after then..
    It's one of the easiest playstyles to play when your not giving the game your full attention.. and you can easily make a soldier stat power tank build that is absurdly tanky in PvE while also being able to dish out ok damage to get by.

• Edge.8724Edge.8724 Member ✭✭✭

Easiest class would be a minion based Necromancer.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

as a rule of thumb ranged is easier then melee. having ai that can tank for you, using cc (chill and cripple included), or having good mobility are all ways to cheese your way thru content.

The horror...…….the horror...…….the horror...…….

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Saimeren.4952 said:

I'm looking to do world content. Assume I don't have (and won't for a while) elite specs. I want something that's good at AoE clearing, and super good at survivability so I won't be punished for not paying attention.

Melee, ranged, whatever. Doesn't matter.

Ps. What weapons would you suggest for the class you're suggesting?

Ranger, especially with long bow. Long range and pet to tank for you.

• Loading.4503Loading.4503 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019

Go play a dire staff ele and just burn everything with aoes, i main warrior and i use this for when i wanna just tag stuff in open world

• axe/axe warrior with signets across the utility bar because of the speed and the skill 5 (whirlwind axe) is pretty easy to play and provides decent AoE in close quarters combat. Staff main Necro with dagger/dagger on the 2nd weaponset(for those up n close moments, with minions across the board except elite skill(take lich form and spam skill 4, especially useful if you take the "death nova" trait) for added toughness(especially if you take a few death magic and blood magic traits), constant healing, and minions will do the killing for you while you strike from a distance. and Ranger using two different styles. style one: grab a longbow and get a bear as a pet. this is an old school ranger style of play nicknamed(obviously) bearbow ranger. the bear has a high health pool, can easily tank while you are spamming skill 5(barrage) and if any mob gets to close, you can knock them back. Style 2: acquire 2 seperate shortbows, using sigils of geomancy and corruption on each one and weaponswap often, using skills 1 and 4(both skills apply bleed stacks). acquire an eagle and either a raven or hawk and be able to pet swap on the fly. for utilities, take sharpened edges, signet of the hunt, entangle, spike trap, and "we heal as one". this style of ranger is called a bleedbow ranger, as the utilities+pets+shortbow skills can VERY quickly stack up massive amounts of bleeding condi damage from a distance and is extremely easy to learn which skills to hit and when.
    when all of these professions don't suit your fancy, run staff fire elementalist with runes of balthazar. the burning,AoE, and distance of attacks along with movement skills on staff are pretty intense, and when you need a decent group heal or group speed boost, switching into water or air is as simple as pressing a button and using a skill.

• i also do NOT recommend you take thief. while thief using pistol/pistol and shortbow is a great mobile assault profession that's fast and very easy to pick up, you must make every shot count, as thief is pretty squishy and, contrary to popular belief, is not the easiest profession to learn to play properly.

• Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hammer symbole guardian's build, from my point of view it's probably the most face roll build of the vanilla game.

• Gulbasaur.1865Gulbasaur.1865 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019

I've actually found mesmer very easy, but I know it runs some people the wrong way. You can summon a small army, including a skill that taunts away from you and clones who draw aggro from you, as well as blocks, evades and invulnerability. You've got respectable DPS and a few cleave and AoE options.

I've also found guardian quite easy because of how robust they are. Aegis on tap, lots of blocks, reasonable damage output? All good. You might get there slower, but you'll get there intact.

• @Eramonster.2718 said:
    With no specific order: necro, ranger, warrior and thief. Just to note, easiest doesn't necessary mean best, if there's one.

Yeeeaaah... No. I would never recommend Thief as easy outside of the realm Of PvE

• nosleepdemon.1368nosleepdemon.1368 Member ✭✭✭

Clearly it's the Revenant, specifically condition Renegade. Change my mind.

• Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭

Mesmer. Just lay your nose on the F1 in your keyboard, roll your face towards the right and see the things dying all around. Rinse & repeat.

• in pve warrior
    in pvp not warrior :)
    in wvw necro / ranger

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭

Ranger, Necro with minions, Warrior

• Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭

Necro/Ranger

• Saimeren.4952Saimeren.4952 Member ✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019

What is a better defensive stat? Vitality, or Toughness?

I know that Vitality is straight up extra health. Which is great because it means you can take more hits, and larger hits before going down. Toughness is armor, but in this game it doesn't actually give you a value for your armor. If I have a toughness value, my armor number goes up. What does that number represent? It's not a percentage number to determine how much damage reduction I'm taking.

It's also not the amount of damage being mitigated by each attack. Does armor reduce damage from ALL attacks, or is it just melee?

Edit: How does Healing power work? Is it 1 for 1 as far as extra healing goes? If I have 100 healing power, do my heals literally heal for 100 extra healing? I was looking it up on the Wiki and saw that there are source specific scaling factors. The example they gave was for the regeneration boon. When you get it, you multiply your healing power by 0.125, and then add that number to your heal. (Total healing = source-specific base healing + Healing Power * source-specific scaling factor)

Is that the same with class abilities? For example I'm messing around with the guardian right now. If I have abilities that heal for 100 health (using 100 as an example because it's easy to use.) and I have 100 healing power, will my healing ability now heal me for 200? Or will it heal me for 112.5? (using the regeneration scaling) (100 + 100 x 0.125)

If it's only going to heal me for 12 extra points of healing when I have thousands of health, I hardly see it as a stat worth taking. Is there a way to find out which ability has specific scaling requirements, and if so what they are so I can do the math myself?

• Druitt.7629Druitt.7629 Member ✭✭

@Saimeren.4952 said:
    What is a better defensive stat? Vitality, or Toughness?

I've seen threads that suggest a balance of both; that if you go too far in either, there are diminishing returns. It's tempting to say "Vitality" (health), since Toughness (armor) only protects against physical damage (not just melee), and since some mechanics (Life Force for Necros) scale with Vitality, but I'm pretty sure that the advice has been to mostly balance them. (Again, a Scourge benefits from lots of Vitality since bonuses to Life Force are based on max health, while expenditures are fixed amounts, so you can use Scourge skills more -- offensive and defensive -- with more Vitality.)

• Agreed with above last statement. Also understand that Toughness relates to how much damage you are able to absorb. As you increase your toughness, although it makes you a bit more tanky with each uptick, it also makes that target on your back a little bit bigger, signalling to nearby mobs that a juicy morsel is nearby that is worth paying attention to.
    when it comes to healing power, IIRC, healing power refers to overall output of how much you can heal both yourself AND others. generally speaking, if you are going for more of a support-based, healing profession such as water-staff elementalist, a high end level of healing power is never a bad thing. if however you are seeing yourself as someone that wants to dish out damage and, rather than helping others, you prefer being healed by others, then healing power doesn't matter as much.
    TLDR version: in solo open world play the "standard pecking order" of stats usually goes like this: Power>precision>ferocity>Condition damage>Toughness>vitality>expertise>concentration>healing power. It's Not necessarily going to be the way everyone goes, because builds and preferences are varied. also i am not saying in any way you should follow the above list verbatim. Mix it up and see what is most comfortable for YOU.

• Solori.6025Solori.6025 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Buran.3796 said:
    Mesmer. Just lay your nose on the F1 in your keyboard, roll your face towards the right and see the things dying all around. Rinse & repeat.

You obviously didn't read the OP.

Tingle my stingleberry

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

The OP said to ignore elite specs and players keep telling him about the best elite specs....

My vote would be either Power Necro w/ minons, running Axe/Focus + Staff, or Power Warrior running Greatsword + Axe/Axe. Necro is more faceroll since your minons keep you safe for the most part.

• Buran.3796Buran.3796 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Solori.6025 said:

@Buran.3796 said:

I did. You don't need the specs, Mesmer alone is enough; you just restart the face rolling after F4 instead of F5.

• Solori.6025Solori.6025 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Buran.3796 said:

@Solori.6025 said:

@Buran.3796 said:

I did. You don't need the specs, Mesmer alone is enough; you just restart the face rolling after F4 instead of F5.

Yup .. Mhmmm..and that's exactly why mesmer is the most recommend in this thread right?

Ignoring this troll.

@OP
    Necro, warrior, ranger

Are your best bets for an easy class.
    All 3 have viable base builds that are easy to play and don't have a steep learning curve.

Tingle my stingleberry

• Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much any AI-assist / pet-build from the professions that have them and a lot have them, now.

• I want something that's good at AoE clearing, and super good at survivability so I won't be punished for not paying attention.

Axe/Axe Warrior with Brusier-type gear (Maruder or a mix of Zerker/Soldier stats). Second weapon doesn't really matter, but I use rifle, because it makes some events much easier to do. I use my own version of this build: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Warrior_-_Axe/Axe_Arms

Funny thing is that Core Warrior is in many ways on par with the other two elite specializations and when it comes to all-in-one performance (survivability, AoE clear, DPS) it's much better.

• Power minion necro, definitely. Each minion out adds to toughness if you're spec'ed correctly, so you don't even need toughness as a stat on armor. The minions can be sent in to draw aggro. If you start taking too much damage, can escape into shroud. Then if/ when you do decide to go for an elite spec, power minion Reaper is even more powerful. With "Rise", you have a party of your own. I've soloed most story dungeons (barring honor) and killed champs solo in this build. Core necro and reaper are all about AoE as well.

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Buran.3796 said:

@Solori.6025 said:

@Buran.3796 said:

Someone's been hurt by Mesmers in PvP hasn't he?

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thread is 1 month old, I'm pretty sure that OP has either maxed the class they chose or just quit the game and people are still fighting over what's easy lol

• @steki.1478 said:
    Thread is 1 month old, I'm pretty sure that OP has either maxed the class they chose or just quit the game and people are still fighting over what's easy lol

Still a good read for the rest of us who level slow or are indecisive! Haha

I have a 36 Guardian, 35 Thief, 34 Warrior. I think my warrior is my favorite... but I am toying around with ele, rev and mesmer in my head as well. Good to get a lot of different points of view!

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:
    Power minion necro, definitely. Each minion out adds to toughness if you're spec'ed correctly, so you don't even need toughness as a stat on armor. The minions can be sent in to draw aggro. If you start taking too much damage, can escape into shroud. Then if/ when you do decide to go for an elite spec, power minion Reaper is even more powerful. With "Rise", you have a party of your own. I've soloed most story dungeons (barring honor) and killed champs solo in this build. Core necro and reaper are all about AoE as well.

Dont forget your golemancer runes. Thats pretty much a full champ breakbar every 30s or whatever the cd on the spin is. You can solo explorables as well (the bosses are actually the most boring fights, you need to fight 10-15 elites at once to keep pumping out minions).

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.