What’s Next for Guild Wars 2

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@Dami.5046 said:Well the people who wanted less new maps got their own way. Good for you.No cantha. Maybe is i shout loud enough i'll get
my
way.

I can’t speak for others, but the reasons I want less maps isn’t because I don’t like having more maps.

1) Too many maps result in players that are spread too thin across all maps.2) More resources spent on creating new maps takes away from resources that could be spent on other stuff, such as more armors, etc.

A new map every episode is, IMO, not the most beneficial approach.

How boring.

Just what I think about Cantha.

Been there, done that. Sick of nostalgia patches/xpacs.

Show me something new!

Oh well since this is about having no new maps, and we aren't getting cantha anyway, we are both out of luck.never mind.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping for some hinting at a possible expansion, but I guess they do not want to start any hype about that just yet, with another full LW season coming. So I am just going to assume that there is going to be one eventually, but that they will not talk about it before we are good and well into Season 5. :)

As to the "maybe expand an existing map rather then a new map", I am all for that when it comes to new LW episodes. However an expansion really should add new lands, and some great new feature off course, like we had in the previous ones.

I am exited about the Buildtemplates being worked on, Cooking/Food definately can use an upgrade and I am curious about the Legendary Runes and Sigils. Thanks for the update!

Transparency is always appreciated, especially after February. The new direction concerning map releases is an interesting choice. I don't know what "extending" means in that context but if we were to see fresh large-scale events breathing new life in existing maps, it would be a welcome change to me.

I really hope legendary runes and sigils function the same as weapons, that being QoL prefix changes. Having them add power, compared to exotic counterparts, would go against the current philosophy regarding gear progression after all.

I do have one pressing question. There is no mention of a team that has to do with instanced content (dungeons, fractals, raids etc) besides what we already knew it was being developed since last year. Does this mean that you are abandoning instance group content completely or is the work for these be integrated into the content teams?

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

I really hope legendary runes and sigils function the same as weapons, that being QoL prefix changes. Having them add power, compared to exotic counterparts, would go against the current philosophy regarding gear progression after all.

It is true that it is against their philosophy but you could argue that adding Ascended Gear was too: and that adding Legendary Runes that have a slight bump up in power, but cost a great deal more then exotic ones, is just something that was overdue. I think a Legendary Sigil with a drop down list of Effects that you can choose from would be nice too, but since you can freely swap out any sigil already with a Legendary, it is not really much of an upgrade; just some more convenience for not having extra Sigils take up bank/inventory space.

This is assuming that Legendary Sigils can only be slotted into Legendary Weapons.

Maybe I am a little dim, but you said " we’re excited to not only announce a release date" but didn't announce a release date......Maybe someone on the forum could help explain this too me.Also, disheartening there is no mention of the legendary ring, that appears to have have a longer release time than legendary armor took to get out of the door.

This is huge. Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out, Mike. Also, thanks for communicating with us as its felt like we've been left in the dark for quite some time. I hope things can start moving along at a more steady pace and that everyone has settled down now at Anet. I'm actually excited for the game again and I hope we can get more content throughout the entire game at a reasonable pace again. Please don't let this be the end of building hype and open communication with the community! Keep us updated as things progress!

Well, news is news, I Was hoping for a word regarding expansions at the very least, whether they were possible or not, probable or not. If the very best april fool's joke surrounding the game is anything to go by, I'm not the only one interested in an expansion development

MODERATOR EDIT: remove off-topic link

Thank you very much for the transparent communication!I think a open comminication with the playerbase is helpful for both sides. You have a way of giving a justified reason for things that does not work out for you, or simply point back to older statements. On the ohter side the base knows for what they can be exited for and maybe give helpful comments / ideas to improve the upcomming features even further.

@Tyncale.1629 said:

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

It is true that it is against their philosophy but you could argue that adding Ascended Gear was too: and that adding Legendary Runes that have a slight bump up in power, but cost a great deal more then exotic ones, is just something that was overdue. I think a Legendary Sigil with a drop down list of Effects that you can choose from would be nice too, but since you can freely swap out any sigil already with a Legendary, it is not really much of an upgrade; just some more convenience for not having extra Sigils take up bank/inventory space.

This is assuming that Legendary Sigils can only be slotted into Legendary Weapons.

Ascended gear was against it too and it received the appropriate reaction from the playerbase if I remember right. But it turned out to be a relatively accessible goal for most of the playerbase and that "mellowed" the initial reaction. Legendaries are not an accessible goal for most of the playerbase and to be fair they shouldn't be if they have to justify their name. And since you can either buy one directly (gen1) or buy most of what you need to make one (gen2) with real money, I'm sure you can see the concern if they ever decide to link extra power to them.

@Dami.5046 said:

@Dami.5046 said:Well the people who wanted less new maps got their own way. Good for you.No cantha. Maybe is i shout loud enough i'll get
my
way.

I can’t speak for others, but the reasons I want less maps isn’t because I don’t like having more maps.

1) Too many maps result in players that are spread too thin across all maps.2) More resources spent on creating new maps takes away from resources that could be spent on other stuff, such as more armors, etc.

How boring.The main problem actually is that new maps are tied to LS releases. Thus, they can't ever be anything more than shorttime content. It's not a content future releases can ever reference or build upon. Thus, smaller number of maps that are more long-lasting is way better for the game in the long run.

If there needs to be some paywall/lockout for maps, it's better if it's as a part of expac than through LS. Too bad the roadmap makes it pretty clear that expac is something we won't get.

@Turin.6921 said:I do have one pressing question. There is no mention of a team that has to do with instanced content (dungeons, fractals, raids etc) besides what we already new it was being developed since last year. Does this mean that you are abandoning instance group content completely or is the work for these be integrated into the content teams?My feel is that it's something that is getting dropped as well.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

Ascended gear was against it too and it received the appropriate reaction from the playerbase if I remember right. But it turned out to be a relatively accessible goal for most of the playerbase and that "mellowed" the initial reaction. Legendaries are
not
an accessible goal for most of the playerbase and to be fair they shouldn't be if they have to justify their name. And since you can either buy one directly (gen1) or buy most of what you need to make one (gen2) with real money, I'm sure you can see the concern if they ever decide to link extra power to them.

Yeah, I agree with that. They could add Ascended Sigils that you could slot into Ascended gear for a slight power up (still going against their philosophy) but if these could only be slotted into Leggies then that would rightfully cause a stir.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

my
way.

How boring.The main problem actually is that new maps are tied to LS releases. Thus, they can't ever be anything more than shorttime content. It's not a content future releases can ever reference or build upon. Thus, smaller number of maps that are more long-lasting is way better for the game in the long run.

If there needs to be some paywall/lockout for maps, it's better if it's as a part of expac than through LS. Too bad the roadmap makes it pretty clear that expac is something we
won't
get.

@Turin.6921 said:I do have one pressing question. There is no mention of a team that has to do with instanced content (dungeons, fractals, raids etc) besides what we already new it was being developed since last year. Does this mean that you are abandoning instance group content completely or is the work for these be integrated into the content teams?My feel is that it's something that is getting dropped as well.

I get the impression people are just getting too lazy to want to be bothered to have another map to explore, which is quite frankly selfish to people like myself who don't mind it or even enjoy it.And please don't try to change my mind.

Albeit a next expansion is not mentioned - which worries me, because I am not a fan of the current Living World story content philosophy -, I am thrilled about finally hearing about aspects and plans of the game's future. Thank you very much for starting to communicate with us properly. <3

@DragonFury.6243 said:

• Over the past few months, astute players have been noticing a trend of updates and improvements to how our skill-slotting system works and have accurately speculated that the long-requested feature of
    build templates
    is in the works.finally

I second that.

""We are taking the opportunity now to reorganize ourselves into four fully staffed content teams with additional teams dedicated to supporting the core game like Skills and Balance, Rewards, WvW, and sPvP." So... No teams for fractals/raids? That will sound pretty bad, for the group content part.

Thank you for the latest information!

I would like to clarify: what exactly does Michael mean by the phrase 'horizontal growth' in his post? Another 20 Live World maps with an endless grind? Players are seriously concerned that no new raids are coming out. Do not introduce new modes of PvP. There are neither new classes or new races. Large add-ons are not able to keep players from the moment they exit to the next major patch. I see how really good players leave the game, and more casual ones take their place. It is a pity that we never heard any specific dates: neither for the 5th season of the Living World, not for the new large-scale addition. I hope that in the next letter, ArenaNet will give us this honor.

We really believe in ArenaNet!You are the last ray of hope in this nightmarish world of free-to-play games!Games that you can really play can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Thank you for the communication. I have to say, nothing announced here will bring me back to the game.

The number one issue for me is optimizing the engine, or whatever you guys need to do to make this game run well on modern PCs. I shouldn't get 20 FPS on a high-end gaming rig.

After that, please release another expansion. New elite specs and new regions to explore are what makes this game fun.

Build templates should have been implemented since launch.

@"SidewayS.3789" said:""We are taking the opportunity now to reorganize ourselves into four fully staffed content teams with additional teams dedicated to supporting the core game like Skills and Balance, Rewards, WvW, and sPvP." So... No teams for fractals/raids? That will sound pretty bad, for the group content part.

I’m pretty sure those count as content and would be a part of one of the content teams.

Thanks for the communication.

What stands out for me:

• Living World is getting more resources.
  • Feature patches are being worked on to improve existing game's systems.
  • Content team can now take existing, old content and improve it.

My worries:

• No mention of a team dedicated to group-content, besides finishing the last raid. Is group content going to abandoned?
  • No mention of new elite specs and expansion-wide features. Maybe they're coming with s5?
  • No expansions. How is Anet planning to bring in old or new players? How is Anet planning to market GW2 forward and revitalize the game?