What’s Next for Guild Wars 2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am gratefully surprised at the long-term map that's being communicated. It's exactly the sort of contact the players have been craving for years, including the tentative bits.

And there's a lot of standout items that drew my eye:

expanding the boundaries and content of an existing map if that would provide a better experience than creating a new one.Yes, please.

legendary runes and sigilsI can say my hopes for this are to have collections that unlock runes and sigils in something like the achievement panel, so they're infinite and account bound. But, I suspect it'll be more "removable, pick-a-rune" functionality.

build templatesPraise Joko Finallyyyyy~ I haven't personally been clamoring for it, (I need better character screen/alt management,) but this would be a big boon to the players.I'm hoping it will come with a gear locker as well, but it might be a bit much to ask.

max cooking level from 400 to 500. This crafting profession needs a refreshCrafting especially, yes, but a good number of the other crafting professions also need some help to deal with their inconsistencies.

Hopes and light critique aside, it's great to see this sort of long-term planning. Thanks, Z!

while i love new maps, i think that sometimes not releasing a new map with a new chapter would allow for a longer storyline in other already existing maps, or working on some other things too, like new fractals /dungeons (hopefully) or expanding on old system and give old maps more replayability. I'd love to visit vanilla maps with some new changes, both visually and mechanically.

@coso.9173 said:while i love new maps, i think that sometimes not releasing a new map with a new chapter would allow for a longer storyline in other already existing maps, or working on some other things too, like new fractals /dungeons (hopefully) or expanding on old system and give old maps more replayability. I'd love to visit vanilla maps with some new changes, both visually and mechanically.

Imagine if old maps were brought to current standards. Collections, achievements, map-specific currency with map-specific rewards, new events, new group content, interesting boss/ enemy design (for both new and existing encounters), new vertical areas for gliding/ mounts, LESSER renown hears, maybe lesser WPs as well to enhance the feeling of exploration, etc.

It would make those areas more replayable, while also giving a really good impression to new players. Gw2 core maps are so bland compared to newer content and one (but not the only) reason why it's hard to keep new players interested in the game. They all play the same: do a bunch of mindless heart quests, collect PoIs or Vistas, engage against bland enemy encounters, repeat until 100%, repeat for every map. Updating them to current standards, with less heart grinding and more interesting and unique achievements/ events/ encounters/ areas would be a huge boon to new player's perception about GW2's potential as a game.

Just don't do season 1's mistake of completely changing the mood/ ambience of existing maps. Kessex Hills was my favourite sunny place to explore before they made it grim-dark. Existing maps should be improved while keeping their essence, imo.

I honestly can't say I think legendary sigils is a good idea. Every other release of a higher tier, like ascended gear, has been awful. The 5% difference is a large advantage for WvW and if the sigils have better stats, it will favour the very very small number who raid as ascended only favoured fractal runners and those with a lot of gold/time. Which goes against the apparent ethos of the game.

Legendary armour is already locked behind the lowest populated game mode, adding more to it is one of the many reasons for dwindling numbers. Locking progress behind a game mode that in the last poll only aprox 5% of the population access. I would stop catering to lower pop game modes and focus on the high pop ones being open world PvE and WvW. Release legendary armour tracks like WvW pips in open PvE and WvW for what ascended is worth now, stop punishing the vast majority for not running raids.

@"DiogoSilva.7089" said:

@coso.9173 said:while i love new maps, i think that sometimes not releasing a new map with a new chapter would allow for a longer storyline in other already existing maps, or working on some other things too, like new fractals /dungeons (hopefully) or expanding on old system and give old maps more replayability. I'd love to visit vanilla maps with some new changes, both visually and mechanically.

Imagine if old maps were brought to current standards. Collections, achievements, map-specific currency with map-specific rewards, new events, new group content, interesting boss/ enemy design (for both new and existing encounters), new vertical areas for gliding/ mounts, LESSER renown hears, maybe lesser WPs as well to enhance the feeling of exploration, etc.

It would make those areas more replayable, while also giving a really good impression to new players. Gw2 core maps are so bland compared to newer content and one (but not the only) reason why it's hard to keep new players interested in the game. They all play the same: do a bunch of mindless heart quests, collect PoIs or Vistas, engage against bland enemy encounters, repeat until 100%, repeat for every map. Updating them to current standards, with less heart grinding and more interesting and unique achievements/ events/ encounters/ areas would be a huge boon to new player's perception about GW2's potential as a game.

Heck yes! But I doubt that they’ll do any kind of major revamp to older maps. More likely, they’ll just toss in a few story triggers that send you to your own personal story instance and add maybe a few new story related events. I wasn’t around for LWS2 release, but I’m guessing, they didn’t revamp older maps for LWS2 stories that took place there.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

@Dami.5046 said:Well the people who wanted less new maps got their own way. Good for you.No cantha. Maybe is i shout loud enough i'll get
my
way.

I can’t speak for others, but the reasons I want less maps isn’t because I don’t like having more maps.

1) Too many maps result in players that are spread too thin across all maps.2) More resources spent on creating new maps takes away from resources that could be spent on other stuff, such as more armors, etc.

Forcing a new map every episode is, IMO, not the most beneficial approach. As Anet said, it is best to look at each situation and decide whether a new map, or updating an existing map is better.

100% this! I even made a forum thread about improving the existing maps with map wide meta events, meaningful content, and meaningful rewards on par with HOT maps that has replayability and keeps the population from stretching further. Breath more life into the POF and core maps!

@Bish.8627 said:I honestly can't say I think legendary sigils is a good idea. Every other release of a higher tier, like ascended gear, has been awful. The 5% difference is a large advantage for WvW and if the sigils have better stats, it will favour the very very small number who raid as ascended only favoured fractal runners and those with a lot of gold/time. Which goes against the apparent ethos of the game.

Legendary gear hass never been stronger than the highest tier of vertical progression gear. Legendary gear only gives you: highly detailed skins and stat swapping. It's likely the same for legendary runes and sigils: the ability of swap to any existing rune/ sigil effect, and perhaps (or not) some (annoying) aura effect which I hope it can be toggled off.

@"BlueJin.4127" said:

Heck yes! But I doubt that they’ll do any kind of major revamp to older maps. More likely, they’ll just toss in a few story triggers that send you to your own personal story instance and add maybe a few new story related events. I wasn’t around for LWS2 release, but I’m guessing, they didn’t revamp older maps for LWS2 stories that took place there.

Keep in mind that the four content teams are "fully staffed", and, in the past, three fully staffed teams have been bringing us new LW episodes with entire new maps full of little things to do. Do you really think that a big team like that will only offer us a few story instances and 3-4 new random events each episode?

Thank you for the road map. Hopefully we can get more of these through the year - this is what we have asked for. Dont let this be a one off or let those calling you liars put you off!

A shame no info on expansions (seasons just arent working for me at all)or the visual noise plaguing the game so badly now, but the communication is welcome and the news of build templates, whilst long overdue, is great.

@Bish.8627 said:I honestly can't say I think legendary sigils is a good idea. Every other release of a higher tier, like ascended gear, has been awful. The 5% difference is a large advantage for WvW and if the sigils have better stats, it will favour the very very small number who raid as ascended only favoured fractal runners and those with a lot of gold/time. Which goes against the apparent ethos of the game.

Legendary armour is already locked behind the lowest populated game mode, adding more to it is one of the many reasons for dwindling numbers. Locking progress behind a game mode that in the last poll only aprox 5% of the population access. I would stop catering to lower pop game modes and focus on the high pop ones being open world PvE and WvW. Release legendary armour tracks like WvW pips in open PvE and WvW for what ascended is worth now, stop punishing the vast majority for not running raids.

I really doubt the the sigils and runes will be higher stat wise. Just merely the convenience of switching.

@Zaraki.5784 said:Not even a slight hint for a new expansion in the future projects?That's sad to (not) hear.

Basically, this roadmap is good news for people who are satisfied with Living World, as they're going to get MORE episodes/ additions (four content teams instead of three) AND quality of life/ feature improvements down the road as well. For them, GW2 is going to become even better.

But for players that love expansion content, expansion features or even classic mmo party-driven content, they're left with a HUGE question mark from this roadmap. Are new elite specs still coming or not? Are there still high-scope, game-changing mechanics planned (like mounts)? Will existing systems like guilds and guild halls be improved upon or expanded? Is party-driven combat still going to be a thing, or will be future of GW2's battle system be entirely reliant on solo or zerg pve content?

@Trise.2865 said:So what you're saying is: the makers of Guild Wars 2 are continuing to make Guild Wars 2. /sigh

As ashamed as I am to be part of a community that apparently needed that tautology explained to them, I appreciate the effort and your consideration.

No reason to be ashamed. Your white Armour makes us peasants run in fear and your higher morality gives us bad dreams at night and a dry mouth in the morning. Do not waste your pure thoughts on us, we are just gamers, my noble consumers.

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:We’re in the process of wrapping up Episode 6 now, and we’re excited to not only announce a release date, but also to play the finale alongside all of you. It won’t fall within the two-to-three-month window that we tried to target throughout Season 4 because of the adjustments we had to make in February, but stay tuned—more info is coming soon.

While it's good to hear what your plans are I have to say that this is particularly disappointing to me. You have failed to meet that two-to-three month window throughout Season 4. The average time between episode releases in Season 4 has been 110 days. That's three-to-four months. Closer to four months than three. I hope this delay won't worsen the average time between releases.

Also I have to say that the idea of Legendary Runes and Sigils makes me a little wary.

What about expanding the skill and balance team with a raid and instanced PvE skill balancing staff?

I'd like for my power revenant and reaper to be a competitive PvE DPS option in a time frame shorter than the next 3 years because apparently all skill balancing is done with not wanting to split damage % numbers across the board because of PvP balancing reasons.

It's NOT okay for power reaper and herald to have a 30%++ performance delta to the other DPS specs, this is absurd and issues like this should be addressed in a timely manner.

I like the priority list. It's way past time GW2 got back to what sets it apart from other MMOs. They need more energy into open world maps and gameplay that brings large groups together - which can definitely include expanding upon and adding events to existing maps. Focus on giving groups reasons to stay on maps and play together.

Open world and WvW are the two core elements of GW2. Focus on making those as fun and entertaining as possible and this game will have a bright and long future. Everything else is secondary imo.

While this is appreciated and does solidify the fact that the game is not going to disappear anytime soon, but it fell short in many critical areas in my view. When you speak of long term I'm expecting plans for growth like expansions and key additions like elite skills, classes, races, new mounts, new weapons, new armor types and so on. There are some positives listed and it's in short a good 5,000 foot view but i'm more of the 30,000 foot view type of person and want to know that there is enough in the works and being committed to by Anet and NCSoft to secure GW2 future for another 7 years. Nothing boosts hype and growth like expansions, which increases financial stability and in turn longevity, history tells us this has been the reason for great success with the long term franchises out there and that to me is what is lacking.

Definitely gotta give Anet props for listening to player feedback and adjusting their communication style accordingly. The recent status updates, not only concerning the game but regarding the company as a whole, is such a breath of fresh air!!! Looking forward to continuing the Guild Wars 2 journey with you guys for many years to come!!!