Fishing in GW2/Relaxing in game — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Fishing in GW2/Relaxing in game

Hello!
I really think this game is missing a fishing profession! I really love to do fishing in all other games and find it relaxing.
Perhaps they could add it one day?:)
Give it some special achievements or rewards! A fishy weapon!
What do you guys think? Or what do you do in this game to relax in general?:)

<1

Comments

• @Naflie.3491 said:
    Hello!
    I really think this game is missing a fishing profession! I really love to do fishing in all other games and find it relaxing.

I'm really not a fan of fishing in games, mostly because i don't like to stand idle and wait for a bobber to bounce. I'm not against it though. It would be cool if they could make a better fishing system than most other games, but fishing is fishing.

To relax in game I like to wander the oceans killing sharks and carving helmets from their stomachs and wearing them. O what fun times lol.

• MikeG.6389MikeG.6389 Member ✭✭✭

@yoni.7015 said:
    Why open a new thread and not posting in the existing one about this topic? If you want to go fishing you should go outside and to a lake near you.

I just posted a response to a post like OP's in the 'Things I want that will never happen' thread. It's a perfect place for that, imo,

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

@yoni.7015 said:
    Why open a new thread and not posting in the existing one about this topic? If you want to go fishing you should go outside and to a lake near you.

Agree, there are many threads discussing this option. No need for another one.

• Durzlla.6295Durzlla.6295 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Naflie.3491 said:
    Hello!

I would love to get fishing in game, as well as some more non combat related activities to do. The combat is great and all but fighting for like 98% of gameplay gets a little old.

"But my children sing to me. Listen. They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family. As their mother, I have to grant them their wish."

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I’d welcome fishing

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭

Game went to much towards a static themepark adventure.

Gw2 lacks sandboxing, besides siegebplacement I don’t see anything else that fits sandbox mechanics, mayyyyybe the home nodes??

edited March 29, 2019

@Biff.5312 said:
    I've never found fishing in an MMO anything but a nuisance. As for relaxing - people do it all the time. Hang out in a city, engage in fashion wars, etc.

It can be done, but fishing mechanics need to have a reason besides serving for recipes, new mats could be farmed with diving places, like Pearls, fishing contest on LA harbour, lots of sandbox elements can be introduced on a themepark game.

It all deppends on how gets designed.... if it happens I fear that anet would make it a node to shove it with a fishing rod skin bought on the tp.... cause in design and implementing solutions Anet is not that good...

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

We already have spear fishing. Jump in and stab them fish!

Not like we do anything with fish anyway. Cooking's never going to hit 500. /shrug

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

Go further than that.

I want there to be achievements, titles, and stupid silly skins for fishing. Who cares if people don't want it. Then don't do it. Sometimes people just wanna hang out or take a break and talk to people in guild chat instead of just afking around the visual clutter that are people nowaday. Better yea, Anet give me armor that I can make from fishing materials :]

Or a stupid cape like in Runescape.

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

With Underwater combat mechanics already in the game, why are we not using that as the basis for fishing? Doing them one by one with a fishing rod will never satiate the blood lust and murder hoboing we're accustomed to. No..... if we're gonna do this, the Genocide has to be efficient, and the loots abundant.

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    With Underwater combat mechanics already in the game, why are we not using that as the basis for fishing? Doing them one by one with a fishing rod will never satiate the blood lust and murder hoboing we're accustomed to. No..... if we're gonna do this, the Genocide has to be efficient, and the loots abundant.

Fishing rods are obsolete when we have Engineers with an infinite supply of explosives!

Many alts! Handle it!

-Eloc Freidon.5692

• zityz.6089zityz.6089 Member ✭✭

Only add in fishing if its over the top like in Yakuza 6.

• Naflie.3491Naflie.3491 Member ✭✭

@Lilyanna.9361 said:
    Go further than that.

I want there to be achievements, titles, and stupid silly skins for fishing. Who cares if people don't want it. Then don't do it. Sometimes people just wanna hang out or take a break and talk to people in guild chat instead of just afking around the visual clutter that are people nowaday. Better yea, Anet give me armor that I can make from fishing materials :]

Oh my god finally someone who understands me haha! Me wants fishhhh!

• I've seen fishing executed very well. IMO not having vibration feedback from a controller ruins the experience so something else would do.

Final Fantasy 12 had an interesting fishing system where to catch a fish you had to input certain commands such as left, r2, triangle, triangle as well as many other combinations. It speeds up as you progress and the inputs become more complex the further you go.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2019

I would like little trips around tyria, like the boat trips. It would stop at all the scenic points for a moment or two, with relaxing music then carry on.
    Don't know about fishing.

• Ameepa.6793Ameepa.6793 Member ✭✭✭

Yes for fishing!

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2019

Yes, fishing AND housing!

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

@Lilyanna.9361 said:
    Go further than that.

What a waste of resources ---

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

I'm all for any new systems being implemented into the game.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@coso.9173 said:
    I'm all for any new systems being implemented into the game.

I'm all for fixing existing systems in the game

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• SexyMofo.8923SexyMofo.8923 Member ✭✭✭

I hope they make it realistic and Fishes only bite once per hour and there’s a limit of 3.

@zityz.6089 said:
    Only add in fishing if its over the top like in Yakuza 6.

I always cite FFXV as the best fishing-game experience I've seen so far. It was a better fishing simulator than JPRG, at least.

If it's just the "cast line, wait for bobber" thing, hard pass. It's boring and unnecessary.

Though now I might have to check out Yakuza 6. :P

Many alts! Handle it!

-Eloc Freidon.5692

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Naflie.3491 said:
    Hello!

Rather have the devs work on important things.

Enforcing useless content/mechanics is Anet moto....

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

If we are doing 'what other games have' I'd like some solo dungeons and proper quest dudes that I can get a skinful of quests and spent a nice evening doing them.

• Deimos.4263Deimos.4263 Member ✭✭✭

Put fishing in the guild halls. People need more reasons to go into the guild halls. :)

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Deimos.4263 said:
    Put fishing in the guild halls. People need more reasons to go into the guild halls. :)

I am not really for implementing fishing in this game (there are other games for it, imo), but if it were to be so, I support this idea.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Zephyra.4709Zephyra.4709 Member ✭✭✭

I liked the fishing in runescape + ESO. Social aspect of it but also being productive. I think Gw2 could benefit from such an activity; tie it into a wishful 500 Chef maybe we can get more unique food choices (no power creep though plz).

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rauderi.8706 said:

Not like we do anything with fish anyway. Cooking's never going to hit 500. /shrug

In fact cooking 500 is apparently on its way.

• Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭

If you just wanna chill do something else.

• Riku.4821Riku.4821 Member ✭✭

If they add fishing I just really hope it isn't like Black Desert's Fishing system. And more like Runescape (back in the 200x time).

@Biff.5312 said:

@Rauderi.8706 said:

Not holding my breath for it, but maybe we'll get sushi recipes. :)
    And Cantha and Tengu to go with it

Many alts! Handle it!

-Eloc Freidon.5692

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭

I mean, I did enjoy the social aspect of fishing in Runescape... but, why would anyone want to fish in Gw2? It's not like we need food, and if you really wanted to afk fish while watching netflix, you could probably roleplay it for the same result by afk'ing near any body of water...

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@Biff.5312 said:

@Rauderi.8706 said:

Not holding my breath for it, but maybe we'll get sushi recipes. :)
    And Cantha and Tengu to go with it

Canthan recipes :}

• Hi. Don't know much about fishing in other games, but missed it here in some situations too.

At the Festival of the 4 winds i found the boattrip a wonderfull relaxing thing - and it would have been genius, if we could have done fishing there. Maybe this year? If we can't take a pole in our hands while sitting on that boat-chairs, let us rent one, thats fixed at the ships rail (or gunwale? not sure if thats the right term, have to translate it).
    2 different please, one small for small fishys (and asuran hands) and one big for big ones (and real Norn).

Another example is sun's Refuge, where i try to get a full stack of elonian red trouts (spawn sometimes instead of the salmons, if a quest is unlocked). Would be nice, if i could simply hang out a fishing line there, -but- then a connection to the Jahai-Mapchat should be available. Like for the homeinstances to the citys they're in, that would be fine, too. Fishing in a private instance, totally cut off from any communication is not the burner, i guess.
    (Oh, and by the way... on Helloween i missed the 7-bony Jokoranha spawning every 10th red trout or so... prepared for it, but didn't happen)

So, yes - chill to catch some fishys, different ones in different regions and/or different times - great!
    And then anet can sell me a fishing-chair. Complete with a charcoal grill, lighter cube, apron and barbeque tongs.
    Maybe that chair will give a bufffood extension... the time, u sit on it will be added to the food u eat there (or ate before). At least, when u eat the fish - or got cooking at 500? Hope (little bit off topic, but...) they don't forget to implement that chair (as well as the night watch stool) into wvw. Want to scout on top of the rampart a little bit more - comfortably.

• PlagueParade.7942PlagueParade.7942 Member ✭✭✭

I think people will just afk waiting to catch something. Not a fan.

• sitarskee.5738sitarskee.5738 Member ✭✭✭

Maybe I am a weirdo but I relax doing RIBA.

• trev.1045trev.1045 Member ✭✭✭

Its not something i would do but hey if it doesnt take much to implement why not?

I would love to see crafting expanded personally.

• Mortifera.6138Mortifera.6138 Member ✭✭✭

As long as no real animals are harmed in the making.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

I will certainly have use of some relaxing in-game activity after SAB's Tribulation Mode. :# Just finished World 1, World 2 is up tonight or tomorrow. Seriously, my poor, mangled ranger will probably go for a relaxing swim when he's done. ;)

• Gimli.9461Gimli.9461 Member ✭✭

Yes! I will wait for fishing in GW2 forever. Only reason I'm still around is I'm waiting for:

• Fishing
    • Player housing

Either of those will get me extremely hyped.
    Thing is, stuff like Raiding and similar long-time group based commitments die out as you age/get that new job/just don't have time. I raided intensively for a year and a half, quit the game for a year because of burn out/real life lack of time.

Things like Fishing/Player Housing that can be progressed on at my own pace year after year - this is what'll keep me in GW2 for years to come. Assuming they get added. I have faith. :D

Love this game <3

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

I don't want to fish in game and I don't want anyone else to be able to fish in game! /s I would love fishing in game.

• I'd like in game fishing, I'm surprised GW hasn't implemented it. It would suit perfectly with their love of time consuming achievement farming.

Big Fish, Small Fish, Shiny Fish, Lucky Fish - Fish that bite you, Fish that buff you; Fish scale skins.

Yeah.. fish.

• dodgerrule.8739dodgerrule.8739 Member ✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019

Fishing would go great with cooking expansion coming up soon. It would be good if you use a skimmer to go fish in ocean

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

to be honest I'd love to have fishing ingame too, it would add some more activities :)

• Gopaka.7839Gopaka.7839 Member ✭✭✭

NOT A DATA MINE...it's fake, I made it.

Imgur

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.