What does Arcane magic?

Kulvar.1239

@Kulvar.1239 said:Elementalists can use Fire, Air, Water, and Earth and they're easy to figure out.But what does Arcane magic? Is it raw energy?Is it a link with Mesmer magic as both share similar colour?

Arcane is generally described as the essence of magic. It's the bones, ligaments and nerves of what is magic, when the elements are the muscles doing the work.When you throw a fireball, you only really see the fire in it. But Arcane is what makes it a fireBALL instead of just fire. Arcane is the control system of elemental magic that makes the raw, primal elements bend to the elementalists will. Without Arcane, there is no magic.

@Kulvar.1239 said:Elementalists can use Fire, Air, Water, and Earth and they're easy to figure out.But what does Arcane magic? Is it raw energy?Is it a link with Mesmer magic as both share similar colour?

Fire, Air, Water, and Earth comes from nature while Arcane comes from the Elementalist mind, basically mental magic. I suspect that the color is similar to Mesmer's magic because they share the same source, the mind.

In GW1, Lyssa is the patron goddess who bestowed Energy Storage technique to the Elementalist who is also the patron goddess of the Mesmer. GW1's Energy Storage technique was renamed to be Arcane magic in GW2, for instance both Arcane and Energy Storage has the ability of Elemental Attunement.

• 3 weeks later...

The Arcanist NPCs you're thinking about are Priory scholars. Arcanist is a specific rank in the Durmand Priory, similar to Magister and Explorer. Arcanist being the "combat explorer" rank who get sent as bodyguards for the more bookwormy Explorers (or sent alone / with only other archivists) for the more dangerous expeditions.

@Yannir.4132 said:Without Arcane, there is no magic.Sure there is. Just not very precise magic. I mean you could technically toss an oily rat at the enemy and set it on fire midair for a sort of basic fireball that doesnt require arcane magic to keep the fire together. Any elementalist thats McGuyvered magic before should know this.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Yannir.4132" said:Without Arcane, there is no magic.Sure there is. Just not very precise magic. I mean you could technically toss an oily rat at the enemy and set it on fire midair for a sort of basic fireball that doesnt require arcane magic to keep the fire together. Any elementalist thats McGuyvered magic before should know this.

Not sure if you meant to say oily rag but that visual is hilarious in a sort of mean way. "Burning Rats" sounds like a level 5 D&D spell.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:Without Arcane, there is no magic.Sure there is. Just not very precise magic. I mean you could technically toss an oily rat at the enemy and set it on fire midair for a sort of basic fireball that doesnt require arcane magic to keep the fire together. Any elementalist thats McGuyvered magic before should know this.

Not sure if you meant to say oily rag but that visual is hilarious in a sort of mean way. "Burning Rats" sounds like a level 5 D&D spell.Rags have poor aerodynamics and larger things such as bookahs or dolyaks require a catapult system. For handheld capabilities you're quite limited, so I picked a reasonable replacement to a fireball in terms of size, weight, shape and flammability with some incendiary assistance.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Not sure if you meant to say oily rag but that visual is hilarious in a sort of mean way. "Burning Rats" sounds like a level 5 D&D spell.Rags have poor aerodynamics and larger things such as bookahs or dolyaks require a catapult system. For handheld capabilities you're quite limited, so I picked a reasonable replacement to a fireball in terms of size, weight, shape and flammability with some incendiary assistance.

Spoken like a true asura. ?