Cooler's and monitor black

Hi guys, the problem arised some months ago. What is happing is when I play GW2 and only GW2 (I tryed other games like Conan Exiles, The Division 2 and others but the problem never happen for those games), somethimes the cooler's of my PC start to spin like crazy producing a high sound and the monitor turns black, not off. I tryed to change the thermal paste of my processor and the problem persist. The configuration of my PC is an I7 3.4 ghz (5° generation), 16 RAM, a NVIDIA 770 and the GW2 was installed in a SSD card (250 gb) and my operational system in other. I run in a Windows 8 operational system. Thy for anyone that can help me.

It's most likely the GPU fans that starts running at a higher speed due to rising temperatures. Your graphics card is probably overheating, hence the black screen. This can cause permanent damage to your hardware.

I suggest you install your GPU's manufacturer's software that should include options to adjust the GPU fans to automatically run at a higher speed at certain temperaturers. Also, download Speccy to see which hardware components are overheating, as it might not be only the GPU. It is possible that your computer case doesn't provide enough (or proper) cooling.

what display settings have you set your GW2 to?

since during LW3 there was more effects added to the game, and a lot more during PoF, there's a big ramp up to the GPU processing required

a 770 is unlikely to cope with high settings, my 780 OC on my old PC was running fine with mid high settings, after PoF came out i had to turn down the settings to mid low

install MSI Afterburner to monitor your GPU's performance, then you tweak your settings while checking afterburner to find the best thermal sweet point

also, if you are running Nvidia GeForce Experience, dont run optimize; the profile does not take into account of thermals, it just sets everything to highest possible base on your GPU.

I'm sad to say I have the same problems. I'm using a 1060 NVIDIA. You'd think that would be enough to play GW2 in high quality, but I can try to set it to lower quality with any hope that might help.

I'd also like to add that I got a new pc recently, about just a month ago. So far every game has been working perfectly fine on high graphic settings except for GW2 and I just cannot figure out why. Considering it can handle all the other games just fine and the fact that everything is brand new, you would say that the cooling shouldn't be a problem. My old PC honestly had a shit cooling system&everything in it was about 6 years old, but yet it had no problem running GW2.

Also, I've tried using a program to check if anything in my pc is overheating as suggested, but unfortunately I cannot check this because the monitor turns black as soon as the problem occurs. And before the crash happens, all the temperatures are fine.

Update:I've tried to use lower graphic settings in my game, I went from High/Ultra to medium settings, but this doesn't seem to change a thing. I also changed my framerate to go max 60 only. This doesn't seem to be the issue either.

I hope there is anyone out there who has any idea how to fix this, because atm I am scared to even play the game. I really don't want to damage the pc that I just bought just because I want to play GW2. But at the same time I just want to be able to play the game I just paid for..

@LittlePOOTIS.6208 said:Considering it can handle all the other games just fine and the fact that everything is brand new, you would say that the cooling shouldn't be a problem.

You can't be certain until you've checked the temperatures of your hardware while GW2 is running (best check after 30-60 mins, not right after launching the game). Edit: Sorry, missed the line where you mentioned that before the blackscreen temps are fine.

If you are running Windows 10, there could be a variety of reasons for graphical issues. Do you have DirectX 9 installed? Have you tried to run the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

Thank you soo much guys by your answer. I already used afterburn to check the GPU temperature and can't see it because of teh same problem that LittlePOOTIS.6208 described, the monitor turns black. In a first moment I supposed that my 770 was the problem, but the problem don't occurs only when I played 10-30 min, sometimes, they occurs just after I log in a map. I really scared to play the game and damage my PC. I'm playing The Division 2 since the launch and the GPU temperature don't go high. I'll try to check all the suggestions guys and when I have some new info, I'll post here. Really appreciated your answer, thanks.

Ohhh right.. Guild Wars still uses DirectX 9. Considering I am using DirectX 12 that could be the problem. Though I'd rather not go back to an older version just to play Guild Wars 2 because I'd probably get issues with other games then. And there must be a lot of people using DirectX 12 to play the game or else a lot more people should have issues you'd say. Though I've had problems with DirectX in the past too with certain games, so you never know. :/

Trying to run the game in compability mode is something I can still try, thanks for the suggestion.

For now, I'll test out some more games first to make sure it's not a hardware related issue.If I know more, I'll post it here. It sucks that the crash only happens every now&then, so it's pretty hard to properly test it without playing the game for hours.

@"JohnnieBe.6102" said:i have black screens and this crash report "failed to load coherent DLL : 0x7e

This is probably a dumb question, but where do you find the crash report? There is no such thing in my GW2 folder.Also that error makes it seem as if some file might be missing. Though I do have the CoherentUI64.dll in my bin64 folder.

I'm having a similar issue. I've got an i7 4770k and GTX 980. The game plays smooth as silk for a good minute or 2 then it'll go black, the game is still running, no error code and PC is still acting fine. When I say black screen, I mean my monitor loses the connection to the PC, says it's not giving the monitor a signal. I've checked the cables, I play Overwatch and Dead Island on it daily and it's perfect. GW2 is the only game it happens on. If I "reset" my PC using the reset button it doesn't start up properly and PC makes weird beeping noises. I've reset that PC 1000's of times from modding fallout and Skyrim and also never had these resetting issues. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen my PC do. Very hard to explain, I hope I explained it okay.

@"Hirdy.7836" said:If I "reset" my PC using the reset button it doesn't start up properly and PC makes weird beeping noises.

BIOS beep codes tell what went wrong while initializing hardware. It's like morse code, you can then look up which part has a problem. It's not guaranteed to be hardware related but most of the time is in some way. If it points to GFX card or RAM modules you can take them out, remove dust from them and the slots and reassemble.

As for the original post. Is it a gfx card with 2 fans? One fan going to very high speeds often indicate the other one failing. Either spinning too low or the rpm signal couldn't be read. So the card's fan control cranks up the rpm. I had that recently on a 970. I could replicate that behaviour pretty fast within the southeast brand area of thunderhead peaks or while standing near the forge.

As for the original post. Is it a gfx card with 2 fans? One fan going to very high speeds often indicate the other one failing. Either spinning too low or the rpm signal couldn't be read. So the card's fan control cranks up the rpm. I had that recently on a 970. I could replicate that behaviour pretty fast within the southeast brand area of thunderhead peaks or while standing near the forge.

I know that mine does have 2 fans. Although if it would be failing, it is strange for it to be able to run other games which (to me) seem more GPU/CPU intensive than Guild Wars 2 without issues on high graphics. Also, you'd think the temperature would be higher then while playing the game, but the highest it gets is about 55 ℃. It feels as if out of nowhere GW2 is asking way too much of my PC within a second.

I've tried out the Windows 7 compatibility mode, but unfortunately after 6 hours of playing the game the black screen happened again. :s

@"LittlePOOTIS.6208" said:

I know that mine does have 2 fans. Although if it would be failing, it is strange for it to be able to run other games which (to me) seem more GPU/CPU intensive than Guild Wars 2 without issues on high graphics. Also, you'd think the temperature would be higher then while playing the game, but the highest it gets is about 55 ℃. It feels as if out of nowhere GW2 is asking way too much of my PC within a second.

I had exactly the same though. The card still stays within temps since one fan spins super fast. But yeah, if it's only gw2 it would speak against that theory. You can try to take it apart, clean and reseat the card in the slot. Reinstall nvidia driver with checking "clean install" (or something like that) which will reset all settings in the driver to their defaults.

Also not all games tax the graphics card equally. gw2 might be doing something that causes the card to draw more power/get hotter than newer games. You can stress the cooling and check if it's adequate or if there are some power supply issues with for example 3Dmark (can get demo for free on steam) or furmark.

@"Kiza.5630" said:I had exactly the same though. The card still stays within temps since one fan spins super fast. But yeah, if it's only gw2 it would speak against that theory. You can try to take it apart, clean and reseat the card in the slot. Reinstall nvidia driver with checking "clean install" (or something like that) which will reset all settings in the driver to their defaults.

Despite it only being GW2, it seems that your theory adds up after all.Today after I put my pc out of sleep mode, the fans just started spinning very strangely. They weren't going fast this time, but it definitely sounded like something was broken/not spinning correctly. So I installed a GPU program (ASUS GPU Tweak) to put the fan speed up to a 100% and that definitely didn't sound good.

I guess it makes sense for GW2 to require more power than most games because it's rather old.I'll try and open my case up tomorrow&hopefully be able to see which one of my fans isn't working correctly. With any hope, the card is just not positioned properly or something like that.. tho I'm afraid it might just be broken. Just my luck to get a brand new GPU that's broken. :'(

Anyways, thanks for the help!

@LittlePOOTIS.6208 said:Ohhh right.. Guild Wars still uses DirectX 9. Considering I am using DirectX 12 that could be the problem. Though I'd rather not go back to an older version just to play Guild Wars 2 because I'd probably get issues with other games then. And there must be a lot of people using DirectX 12 to play the game or else a lot more people should have issues you'd say. Though I've had problems with DirectX in the past too with certain games, so you never know. :/

Trying to run the game in compability mode is something I can still try, thanks for the suggestion.

For now, I'll test out some more games first to make sure it's not a hardware related issue.If I know more, I'll post it here. It sucks that the crash only happens every now&then, so it's pretty hard to properly test it without playing the game for hours.

I don't realized that... I tested the fan speedy and the temperature and never goes higher than 80°C no even playing TD2 at max quality possible.Thank you guys... if the problem could be the compatibility, I can try it, but, how?

@Ney Matogrosso.5736 said:I don't realized that... I tested the fan speedy and the temperature and never goes higher than 80°C no even playing TD2 at max quality possible.Thank you guys... if the problem could be the compatibility, I can try it, but, how?

If you hit properties on the GW2.exe there is an option to run it in Windows 7 compability mode. (You can find the properties on right click)

Did you test the GPU fans at a 100%?Another thing you could test out is putting your PC to sleep mode and wake it up again. This was the first time I heard my fan acting up.

I’d definitely make sure your fans are all working properly first. In my case, it quickly went downhill from the black screens to a PC that doesn’t start up at all anymore.

@LittlePOOTIS.6208 said:Ohhh right.. Guild Wars still uses DirectX 9. Considering I am using DirectX 12 that could be the problem. Though I'd rather not go back to an older version

You won't. It installs in addition to your current DX files. :)

@Ney Matogrosso.5736 said:I tested the fan speedy and the temperature and never goes higher than 80°C

That is way too high for any GPU! :o 25-30 degrees less would be in the normal range.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ney Matogrosso.5736 said:I tested the fan speedy and the temperature and never goes higher than
80°C

That is
way too high
for any GPU! :o 25-30 degrees less would be in the normal range.

The temperature of 80°C was the maximum that reach in The Division 2 in a very bad scenario. In general the temperature (that I checked in the last weekend) was around 30-50°C at fans at 40-60%. I tryed the fan velocity at maximum (@LittlePOOTIS.6208 ), but I think the temperature was not the problem, one time the maximum of 80°C wasn't found playing GW2. A friend of mine suggested that I tested playing GW2 in the windowed fullscreen. I need to play a prolongued time to be sure if the windowed mode solve the problem of the Directx compatibility.Thank again guys.

I've read somewhere that playing in windowed mode might solve the problem yeah.

As for me, I got another brand new GPU and so far have been able to play GW2 just fine. Though I haven't played for many hours, because unfortunately my pc itself is not working properly yet. I'll keep you updated once I know more, since it might be related to the problem we have with GW2. Last week I send my pc back to where it came from and they tested it on literally everything without seeing any problems with it.. We're clearly dealing with a complicated issue to say in the least. :/

But this does mean that it doesn't have to be GPU related. Either that or it's just bad luck and my pc has had two components not working properly. Which is also possible given my luck with pc's. Just keep in mind that the problem could be.. well, anything it seems.

My fans speed up when i'm running multiple items on my computer. I'll be playing Guildwars2, doing a search, and have a window open for YouTube where i'm listening to music. After a bit of time, running so many programs, the fan will spin like crazy. Most of the time I think the machine is "overworked" and trying to keep things "cool". Are you running more than one program?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ney Matogrosso.5736 said:I tested the fan speedy and the temperature and never goes higher than
80°C

That is
way too high
for any GPU! :o 25-30 degrees less would be in the normal range.

It will depend on the card, but it's generally not too high. Some are set to temp target 70, but many nvidia cards I had were set to 80°C temp target. So the temperature under max load will avg out around that number. You can set the temp target lower with software (msi afterburner, zotac firestorm, I guess there are others), but the fan speed will be higher and/or performance will be lower as the card clocks lower to stay within the temp target.

Well guys, I tested today in windowed and the problem persists, I just log in the game and when the game was loaded, 5 sec latter and the problem showed again. No GPU over heat, no prolonged time, I just turned on my PC and logged in the game. GW2 is every day more far to be played again. I'll stay looking to solve the problem and hope that is not buy another GPU. Thank you again guys, I'll post news.