What’s Next for Guild Wars 2

Personally, I just want what's best for Guild Wars 2.

Whether it takes 1 more year or 2 years to make the next expansion, I just want it to happen and bring new energy to the game.

I would be cheering for joy if it arrived in the new year for 2020. However, I do feel the community would be happy if they knew for sure that an expansion was being worked on, even if it takes an additional 2 years to happen.

Of course, people would still whine that 2 years would not be fast enough. However, it would provide gamer's some security and confidence that their favorite game isn't going anywhere. I know that gem sales would definitely increase if consumers know that another expansion is planned at some point.

In the next 2 years, can we please have ANET implement 5vs5 Guild vs Guild competitive ladder (similar to the original Guild Wars 1 ladder system).

Here's the link in the PvP forum. Thanks!

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/68492/would-your-guild-participate-in-5vs5-guild-ladder#latest

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Content teams will have more flexibility to decide what makes sense for a given release—for example, we could focus on expanding the boundaries and content of an existing map if that would provide a better experience than creating a new one. Ultimately, this will mean a relatively steady release of new content that will allow us to continue telling the story of Tyria in exciting new ways.

Not getting a new map with each living world concerns me... especially with no new expansions mentioned.

The reason I love living world is the new maps with each episode. I look forward to seeing and learning about more areas in Tyria. I'm going to keep an open mind about expanding existing maps(especially if it's in core Tyria)(I loved S3E4 map). But if expanding means adding a small castle instance to the corner of an old map, I'm going to rethink sticking around Guild Wars 2, and I've been here since launch.

So... If your going expand a map do it right or don't do it at all. Please don't forget about vertical expansion of maps! Sewers' and crypts under Divinity's Reach!

Anet I love your content! Keep up the good work and keep me in Tyria as long as possible and ill keep giving you money for Gems each month! lol

Maybe, just maybe, we could actually get the ability to save and load builds???

And maybe give us a reason to replay content, by adding vanquishing from GW1 or some other benefit to entice parts of the game to be played more than once???

@ButterPeanut.9746 said:This is exactly what we were looking for. The players understand that we can't have timelines for everything, but a high level road map is critical. In the last few weeks the communication has drastically improved. Please keep this up! Great job!

I agree ^^This announcement got me really excited which is far better than the aimless waiting week by week for patch notes to drop hoping that something might get hinted at.Even if things get shelved or changed it won't diminish the excitement I feel now about what might be coming.. might leave me a little disappointed if something I wanted ended up being taken off the table but i'd rather deal with that than the tight lipped Anet we've had for years lol

I thinks it's hilariously delusional and incredibly naive to think a game can grow without expansions. An MMO can survive without them but it certainly won't grow without the hype, marketing and excitement an expansion can bring. Name one franchise out there who grew without adding expansions and please don't bring up those that have barely survived. Every major developer in the gaming world that has enjoyed success has done so by putting out that next carrot on a string and reaping the benefits it brings, and without vertical progression this game needs it more than most. Sure the game can go on without it and they can keep adding LW 5 and so on but that's a death knoll and is only dragging out the inevitable. Perhaps that's the point of it all but i think the more players voice their concerns about not seeing another expansion the better shot we have at GW2 staying around as long as WoW.

Clearly the ball was dropped with all these new and likely not sanctioned projects that took away the necessary resources to allow them to create another expansion, that doesn't mean it was the right decision, in my mind HoT bore that out. Also to all those who keep regurgitating the Mike Z quote about not having an expansion any time soon please remember those words were spoken based on their development schedule at that time and not on where they sit today. Today is a new day and if we don't hear anything about another expansion it will only mean the game will go through season 5 then go on life support while the studio pumps out whatever mobile garbage NCSoft deems necessary to keep the eastern whales dropping money. No expansion, no further growth it's an industry wide proven cycle for MMO's, so fool yourselves if you like but I'm a realist. I love this game and i want it to grow so I'm ticked they haven't committed to an expansion because it is tantamount to waving a white flag!Meant to add....I miss Gayle and all the casualties that came from poor management decisions!

Thanks for the info.As for me: I really don't care very much about living world, except that is gives new maps. A new expansion or a GW3 anouncement would make me much more happy! It's good to finally finish crafting levels to 500. However I'm quite sure it won't make legendary's more powerful. So in gameplay nothing much seems to change. Templates sounds nice but again: after so many years we all know what to wear and when. We really need something new!

thinning player base is not a valid excuse because i for one rather have a thinning player base than none at all and thats what will happen people are gonna get bored of the same maps and straight up gonna leave so moan all you want about thinning playerbase lol.

@Tiny Doom.4380 said:After nearly seven years I'm afraid this just isn't sufficiently interesting to hold my attention any more. It's been a good run and the nature of GW2's easy drop-in design means no big decisions about staying or going, but the fact is I only really log in to do dailies these days and some days I forget to do that. Instead, I've returned to a couple of older MMOs that I played extensively before GW2 released. They don't get anything like the publicity GW2 does but they've had far more content added in the lifetime of GW2 than GW2 has and a good deal more regularly and consistently. Also, to my taste, of considerably higher quality.

I was hanging on for an expansion, which is pretty much the only time we get anything remotely close to the amount of content I've been used to in other MMOs over the last two decades (including in GW1). I loved HoT but I didn't enjoy PoF so even that was a bit of a gamble, but it would at least have been something solid to look forward to. I haven't really enjoyed the Living Story since the end of Season One (which I loved). Instanced content doesn't do it for me. The new maps were nice at first but they've become formulaic.

With no expansion in prospect I'm likely to drop in and out only when there's something new. I do like the stuff the Side Stories team puts out - it's far superior to anything we see in the main Living Story - so I'll be around for that. Also, if the Alliance system ever arrives I'll be there for some revamped WvW - assuming we're not all playing Camelot Unchained by then...

All that said, it does look like a better approach and a sounder base for maintaining the game. It's just too late. This is what should have happened after Heart of Thorns. Still, better late than never I guess. And maybe we'll get an expansion eventually. They do make more money than anything else an aging MMO can expect, after all.

I feel exactly the same but without playing any online game at all. I just play 1-2 hours a day some single player games (at the moment Sekiro) which challenge me greatly and give me satisfying closure after I finished it.

I played with the new patch in WVW where the walls and gates have been weakened. this is very hard for smaller servers to defend with out numbers that run around maps set up a cat and knock hole in wall and cap in 2 minutes. Not sure why this was done but I`m not very happy with the change. I play defense in WVW 95% of time, this has made it almost impossible to defend any targets. Hope you reconsider the change, if not my days are numbered. I have playing this game since day 1, this is big to me, many feel the same way.

@Gandis De Mas.8567 said:I played with the new patch in WVW where the walls and gates have been weakened. this is very hard for smaller servers to defend with out numbers that run around maps set up a cat and knock hole in wall and cap in 2 minutes. Not sure why this was done but I`m not very happy with the change. I play defense in WVW 95% of time, this has made it almost impossible to defend any targets. Hope you reconsider the change, if not my days are numbered. I have playing this game since day 1, this is big to me, many feel the same way.

You'd be better off making a thread about this is the WvW section than adding it to this about the update post, even if it does mention that singular change. I think it would get more traction there than here.