cant beat ranger in wvw roaming, need advice.

Ronnie Hu.1694

If you are a warrior, YOU CANNOT KILL these classes:

• Thief
  • Mesmer
  • Ranger
  • Guardian spamming boons
  • Kiting elementalist boon spammer
  • Stability and boon spamming engineer.

Sure, if you fight low skilled guys that have no idea how to play their class, then you are going to kill them, but if you are fighting against an above than average player, then you will never kill them with a warrior and the main reason is because they will kite your warrior forever and ever.

Kiting lowers the DPS of warrior to minimal value; and if you are not dealing damage, you will never win the fight! IT is that simple...You can choose rifle or longbow to land some blows, but doing so will make you slow and your opponents will escape easily from the fights if you are winning.With the PoF release many classes got lots of stunbreaks, dodges, evades,... and that is what renders a warrior useless because we relay on stuns and control skills to deal our damage.

You ask for advice to kill rangers, but the truth is you will never kill a good ranger because warrior just does not have the necessary skills to beat high mobility, stealth, stunbreaks, range attack and unblockable skills in one build.

The best advice I can give you is:

• dodge twice the initial snipe.
  • then block with your shield as you move towards the ranger.

Never block the initial snipe because most rangers are running unblockable skills and you will get hurt badly.

@babazhook.6805 said:

@babazhook.6805 said:I am testing shouts on a Berserker condition warrior with tempest Runes and Rousing resilience + Vigorous shouts. Stun breaks heal, shouts heal can toe to toe scourges and flush away conditions with ease (shake it off) and have multiple reveals for stealth counters (on my mark). For great justice easily loads max Might stacks for a heal boost and to peak up the Condition ticks which stacks on top the vuln add of On My mark. Toe to toe most melee classes are in trouble and tend to flee which exposes one downside , that being poor mobility and lack of chase down utility.

Against the LB/GS ranger in particular many Rangers will in time just leave the scene as you can outfight them at melee and use heals to outheal damage from range. (settlers runes gives ~ 2300 condition damage steady + the vuln when might factored in along with ~ 1000 in heals with toughness just under 4k).

I have been running this about a week now. It really shines in small scale as you can last forever while continously outputting heals to teamates in range via the shouts without any significant loss to damage out (s/t + LB)

Sorry for the threadmancy, but was curious how you are liking this build since its been a few months now?

I am STILL using the build. :) . It not great a taking opponents out quickly but has tremendous staying power.

in on point fights such as when flipping a Lord in a tower The healing of the shouts dispersed to the team have been enough to turn the tide of battle in our favor even when we outnumbered. (the heal of a shout around 2100+ per). I do not use healing signet as in such a build I found either mending (7600+ heal with 3 conditions cleansed every 15 seconds ) or To the limit for a 13000+ heal with 100 END added every 24 seconds much more effective. Adremal ticks are high and supplemented nicely by the shouts more then making up for the per tick heal of the healing signet. Breaking a stun also gives a fat heal via the combo of tempest and rousing. This nice against Holos that like to chain stuns. (Rousing Resilience stun break is a 3000 heal added to the tempest kickin )

@babazhook.6805 said:I am testing shouts on a Berserker condition warrior with tempest Runes and Rousing resilience + Vigorous shouts. Stun breaks heal, shouts heal can toe to toe scourges and flush away conditions with ease (shake it off) and have multiple reveals for stealth counters (on my mark). For great justice easily loads max Might stacks for a heal boost and to peak up the Condition ticks which stacks on top the vuln add of On My mark. Toe to toe most melee classes are in trouble and tend to flee which exposes one downside , that being poor mobility and lack of chase down utility.

Against the LB/GS ranger in particular many Rangers will in time just leave the scene as you can outfight them at melee and use heals to outheal damage from range. (settlers runes gives ~ 2300 condition damage steady + the vuln when might factored in along with ~ 1000 in heals with toughness just under 4k).

I have been running this about a week now. It really shines in small scale as you can last forever while continously outputting heals to teamates in range via the shouts without any significant loss to damage out (s/t + LB)

Sorry for the threadmancy, but was curious how you are liking this build since its been a few months now?

I am STILL using the build. :) . It not great a taking opponents out quickly but has tremendous staying power.

in on point fights such as when flipping a Lord in a tower The healing of the shouts dispersed to the team have been enough to turn the tide of battle in our favor even when we outnumbered. (the heal of a shout around 2100+ per). I do not use healing signet as in such a build I found either mending (7600+ heal with 3 conditions cleansed every 15 seconds ) or To the limit for a 13000+ heal with 100 END added every 24 seconds much more effective. Adremal ticks are high and supplemented nicely by the shouts more then making up for the per tick heal of the healing signet. Breaking a stun also gives a fat heal via the combo of tempest and rousing. This nice against Holos that like to chain stuns. (Rousing Resilience stun break is a 3000 heal added to the tempest kickin )

It sounds like it has amazing sustain. Definately on the tankier side to slowly dwindle away at someone’s health. Are you using tactics, defense, berserker?

@Rysdude.3824 said:

It sounds like it has amazing sustain. Definately on the tankier side to slowly dwindle away at someone’s health. Are you using tactics, defense, berserker?

Yes to the traitlines mentioned. As well I will use Mending when I have been facing Condition type builds, to the limit when it more Power opponents. That extra 3 condition cleanse in Mending is great against scourges and Condi Mirage when coupled with shake it off. The To the limit excellent against power spike such as DJ if you fail a dodge or the ranger RF generally alloing a close to full heal after damage taken. Sword/torch preffered weapon set as the sowrd burst is one of the easier bursts to land even at range and the torch up close keeps laying down fire fields which are very effective against thief which might try a backstab. Total vitality runs 20k but this fine given armor at 4000 and those heals can fill that health back to the top quite quickly. Contrary to the claims of some armor DOES make a difference. I also play more traditional power warriors with lower total armor and know the difference. The build certainly has weaknesses. A kill takes a while to pull off and it not very mobile. Once an enemy breaks to flee I very often do not bother chasedown but then that not the builds purpose :)

• 5 months later...

@babazhook.6805 said:I am STILL using the build. :) . It not great a taking opponents out quickly but has tremendous staying power.

What do you guys use for gear/stats? Very curious to try this off-meta build!

(I was the author of the original invinci-monk build in GW1 that I later evolved into the 55hp monk that everyone used... so I love clever build-crafting!)

@BlackTruth.6813 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:You blow them up in one shot with Gunflame. BYE

Actually yeah this makes sense, unblockable gunflame and kill them before their evade spam gets worse. But here's the catch, they can burst you just as hard and their lives are easier too LOL pet + soulbeast/ranger baiting dodges very high skill cap wow /sarcasm off.

You just gotta be faster and more aggressive, spam them with Volley first to bait out dodges and CDs. If they're pressuring you, no to fear, you have Rifle 4, Greatsword 3, hopefully Energy Sigil, and then two dodges. And Rampage. If needs be just CC the life out of them and tank everything they throw at you.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:You blow them up in one shot with Gunflame. BYE

Actually yeah this makes sense, unblockable gunflame and kill them before their evade spam gets worse. But here's the catch, they can burst you just as hard and their lives are easier too LOL pet + soulbeast/ranger baiting dodges very high skill cap wow /sarcasm off.

You just gotta be faster and more aggressive, spam them with Volley first to bait out dodges and CDs. If they're pressuring you, no to fear, you have Rifle 4, Greatsword 3, hopefully Energy Sigil, and then two dodges. And Rampage. If needs be just CC the life out of them and tank everything they throw at you.

yeah you have to be fast definitely

@jesterbot.6371 said:

@babazhook.6805 said:I am STILL using the build. :) . It not great a taking opponents out quickly but has tremendous staying power.

(I was the author of the original invinci-monk build in GW1 that I later evolved into the 55hp monk that everyone used... so I
love
clever build-crafting!)

As mentioned the build not about doing damage, albeit if a person sticks around toe to toe for too long a time they will not be able to outdamge your sustain. It predicated on burns and lots of them using Berserker , Defense Tactics. Condition build in Settlers this brinking armor to 3900 base. HP sits around 20k but you not worried about that as you have plenty of heals coming in.

Healing power is around 1050 base. You want the REGEN out of defense via the dogged march running along adrenal. Rousing resilience for the heal on stun . Out of arms you use shouts for group heal and to get might which also boosts base heals. Mending preferred heal if facing conditions and to the limit if not. Outgoing shouts heal around 2200 per and the stun break heal on rousing is over 3000. Tempest runes add their heal on stun break as well. (around `2200). Base heal on mennding is around 8000 every 15 seconds with a condition cleanse, to the limit is around 12500(including the shout portion) with endurance add every 24 for more dodges.

@babazhook.6805 said:

(I was the author of the original invinci-monk build in GW1 that I later evolved into the 55hp monk that everyone used... so I
love
clever build-crafting!)

As mentioned the build not about doing damage, albeit if a person sticks around toe to toe for too long a time they will not be able to outdamge your sustain. It predicated on burns and lots of them using Berserker , Defense Tactics. Condition build in Settlers this brinking armor to 3900 base. HP sits around 20k but you not worried about that as you have plenty of heals coming in.

Healing power is around 1050 base. You want the REGEN out of defense via the dogged march running along adrenal. Rousing resilience for the heal on stun . Out of arms you use shouts for group heal and to get might which also boosts base heals. Mending preferred heal if facing conditions and to the limit if not. Outgoing shouts heal around 2200 per and the stun break heal on rousing is over 3000. Tempest runes add their heal on stun break as well. (around `2200). Base heal on mennding is around 8000 every 15 seconds with a condition cleanse, to the limit is around 12500(including the shout portion) with endurance add every 24 for more dodges.

Keep in mind these heals do not necessarily show up in the log.