Can we have an official statement regarding DirectX 12 mod for gw2?

Its called d912pxy and it could be found herehttps://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ak0mqs/d912pxy_directx12_for_guild_wars_2/What it does is basically changing some setting to make GW2 to play in DirectX 12 affecting performance of the game, making it use multithread mode for CPU and significantly improves the game performance, it seems like a really good thing to actually have and it helps a lot of players improving their experience, its not a cheat, it is not a bot or any of this. Im not trying to be too technical here i dont understand how exactly it works, i wish to use it but i am afraid of getting ban for that.No one could answer me to that question, so i am here asking it so everyone sees it.

Dear ArenaNet, what is your official statement regarding d912pxy mod? Do you allow players to use it and make the game run smoother and if you do will you promise you will not ban them for using it?

Thank you.

@"KelyNeli.4516" said:Dear ArenaNet, what is your official statement regarding d912pxy mod?

We have an official statement:It's not approved.

We know this because all mods are unapproved, except in the rare case that ANet decides to work with the relevant 3rd party developer.

Do you allow players to use itIt's unapproved; it's "use at your own risk," like any other mod.

and make the game run smoother andThe reasons do not matter directly in approving or disapproving, except that some mods are unequivocally a problem, because some mods break the game's rules expicitly.

if you do will you promise you will not ban them for using itThey aren't going to make a "promise."

However, common sense still applies:

• The mod doesn't allow people to gain rewards that others cannot
  • It doesn't allow people to see things that other players aren't allowed to see.
  • It doesn't enable or make easier anything that is otherwise explicitly against the rules.

PS the thread is likely to be removed; the mods generally hide any conversation about mods or modding the game, to avoid giving anyone the wrong idea.

It seems to run the same type of injection as Reshade or any type of cosmetic enhancement (the use a d3d9.dll), so based off that, I'm going to assume it is safe to use as Anet have already stated that Reshade/SweetFX are fine to use already. As it offers no advantage and is just a performance boost, I see no reason as to why you would be banned for using it. If that were the case, all of us using Reshade/SweetFX would of been banned already.

This is not 100% though and I don't speak for Anet, just giving you my insight as a Reshade user. I've been here since headstart, and have never been banned for using Reshade/SweetFX. Started using this recently myself as well, and so far all is good.

@KelyNeli.4516 said:What it does is basically changing some setting to make GW2 to play in DirectX 12 affecting performance of the game, making it usemultithread mode for CPU and significantly improves the game performance . . .

I've been glancing at Reddit page. I hear 'faster' but haven't seen any speed improvement tallies.

I agree with other comments, it seems to work much like Reshade or SweetFX by not attaching or altering gw2.exe but by taking advantage of windows poor DLL management to allow itself to run in between gw2.exe and the OS support services.

@"Genuinetheo.6591" said:If it modifies any game files, then it is likely already in violation of the EULA

And that means any game files, not just the executable launcher...

But does it modify them to give you an unfair advantage, surely this "mod" is just forcing the software (launcher ) to run in another piece of software (dx12 file ) to improve the gameplay, unless it does other things aswell, ( havent played around with it )

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:

@"Genuinetheo.6591" said:If it modifies any game files, then it is likely already in violation of the EULA

But does it modify them to give you an unfair advantage, surely this "mod" is just forcing the software (launcher ) to run in another piece of software (dx12 file ) to improve the gameplay, unless it does other things aswell, ( havent played around with it )

I'm fairly certain that it's a blanket clause that simply says you are not allowed to modify any game files for any reason, and then it specifies a number of examples that people might commonly edit game files for

Took me all of 10 seconds to find a clause for you

Use, or provide others with, any software related to the Game, including any automation software (a.k.a. “bot”) or software designed to change or modify operation of the Game;

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/

@Genuinetheo.6591 said:

@Genuinetheo.6591 said:If it modifies any game files, then it is likely already in violation of the EULA

I'm fairly certain that it's a blanket clause that simply says you are not allowed to modify any game files for any reason, and then it specifies a number of examples that people might commonly edit game files for

Use, or provide others with, any software related to the Game, including any automation software (a.k.a. “bot”) or software designed to change or modify operation of the Game;

True, but then arcdps is a violation as well (it modifies the exact same file) and Anet dont mind that last I checked.

Anyway regarding this mod... I just hope it kicks up enough fuss to get Anet to do it officially instead.

I second - or third at this point - that if it works like Reshade, it should be fine. Using that for years now.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:They don't approve mods but you do know they disprove it if they start banning the mods' authors.

If the mods' authors are not banned, you know it is allowed. They will never ban the end users unless it is obvious cheat.

Not banned does not equal to being allowed. Lack of a negative statement is still zero communication. We don't their stance on the matter, maybe they don't even have one. Edit: I mean, regarding this particular mod.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Genuinetheo.6591 said:If it modifies any game files, then it is likely already in violation of the EULA

True, but then arcdps is a violation as well (it modifies the exact same file) and Anet dont mind that last I checked.

Anyway regarding this mod... I just hope it kicks up enough fuss to get Anet to do it officially instead.

And that's why it's a blanket clause: catches anything and everything that could fit the criteria. So usually these things fall under a severity rule where, if deemed serious enough, they could take action against it (like warning the user, or banning them for 3rd party use).

I don't think they will ever truly accept the use of third parties. They have to be extremely careful because of the nature of their business, and not whimsically accept every third party software that comes into the market.

That and I doubt they're going to staff anyone who's only job is to investigate third parties, when they could be doing many more things elsewhere in game development and the like.

So "use at your own risk" is probably still the answer everyone is looking for.

@SpyderArachnid.5619 said:It seems to run the same type of injection as Reshade or any type of cosmetic enhancement (the use a d3d9.dll), so based off that, I'm going to assume it is safe to use as Anet have already stated that Reshade/SweetFX are fine to use already. As it offers no advantage and is just a performance boost, I see no reason as to why you would be banned for using it. If that were the case, all of us using Reshade/SweetFX would of been banned already.

This is not 100% though and I don't speak for Anet, just giving you my insight as a Reshade user. I've been here since headstart, and have never been banned for using Reshade/SweetFX. Started using this recently myself as well, and so far all is good.

Just a quick question: Can you use Reshade with this mod? And if yes, how? I didn't search extensively, granted, but didn't find anything that would tell me the 2 things are even compatible.

@MikeG.6389 said:I second - or third at this point - that if it works like Reshade, it should be fine. Using that for years now.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:They don't approve mods but you do know they disprove it if they start banning the mods' authors.

If the mods' authors are not banned, you know it is allowed. They will never ban the end users unless it is obvious cheat.

Not banned does not equal to being allowed. Lack of a negative statement is still zero communication. We don't their stance on the matter, maybe they don't even have one. Edit: I mean, regarding this particular mod.

Historically, if they don't allow a certain public mod because of certain features or whatsoever, they will contact the author. If the author refuse to comply, they then do a temp ban as a warning and if still refuse, they do a perma ban. This is shown when they deal with bgdm.

The logic is quite simple, if the author stop working on it then the mod will eventually become outdated and useless.

If you think about it there is a lot of 3rd party software that will enhance the games playability but is completely allowed.eg I buy myself a much higher end video card for my computer, load some 3rd party software, in this the driver for my new card and I get double the FPS in the game.I now have much better playability AND I now have a greater advantage that a person playing the game on an old clapped out laptop.

@MikeG.6389 said:

@SpyderArachnid.5619 said:It seems to run the same type of injection as Reshade or any type of cosmetic enhancement (the use a d3d9.dll), so based off that, I'm going to assume it is safe to use as Anet have already stated that Reshade/SweetFX are fine to use already. As it offers no advantage and is just a performance boost, I see no reason as to why you would be banned for using it. If that were the case, all of us using Reshade/SweetFX would of been banned already.

Just a quick question: Can you use Reshade with this mod? And if yes, how? I didn't search extensively, granted, but didn't find anything that would tell me the 2 things are even compatible.

Sadly you can't as far as I know, since they both use the same method. They would overwrite each other. So one or the other, though I think there might be a way, I didn't read too much into that part. I think there is a work-around on the download page that explains it. I just uninstalled my Reshade to test this mod out with the base game to see how well it performed.

And:

With that said, we are aware that some utilities help players without affecting others; that is, they do not give one player an advantage over another. While, in general, we will not take action on an account for the use of such a utility program or modification, action is subject to ArenaNet's discretion. You use any third-party program at your own risk.

As well as:

Here are a few best practices to keep in mind if you are considering the use of a third-party tool:

Customer Support cannot offer support if a third-party modification breaks, interferes with, or prevents you from playing Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2. If a third-party program has any impact on your game or your computer, it is solely your responsibility to troubleshoot and resolve the problem.If you choose to use what you believe to be a "benign" program—one that does not give an advantage to the user—be sure to get it from a legitimate source to protect yourself from the possible addition of cheats or key-loggers.ArenaNet reserves the right to action an account for using any third-party modification, as is outlined by the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement, the Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct, and the Conduct Breaches and Outcomes policies.

Note: ArenaNet does not review, approve, or endorse any third-party program. Each use of such a program is made by an account holder at their own risk.

Edit: Copy/paste from within the forum sometimes gives weird results.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread might currently be old but I finally got to try this tool out but sadly it seems incompatible with Reshade even with the dxgi.dll. Every time I try to start the game with this tool and Reshade it just crashes upon start. Anyone knows how to fix it since I simply hate to not play the game with the preset for making it less vibrant and easier on my eyes. Might it be because I start Reshade from Sweet FX? Aren't they the same?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it fixed by creating a different dll with it which wouldn't work before for some reason. Every time I tried to install it as option 3 it showed me an error so I installed it as the chainload one instead which seemed to work first but crashed my game as soon as I reinstalled the Reshade stuff. What I did then was cleaning bin 64 and all the Reshade files, installing d912xpy as d912xpy.dll which surprisingly seemed to work this time and then reinstalling all the Reshade stuff from SweetFX again. But yet again I notice no actual change in performance other than it increasing it whenever the "hiccups" [sudden and frequent/rythmic drop from 60+ to 23 (19 without d912xpy)] occur that were brought with the release patch of War Eternal. It's kinda like the issue with the two event maps from the Festival of the Four Winds from last year which seemed to have the same frequent "hiccups" (but only in these two maps) as well and many other players reporting the same issue like I had. Don't know if anyone else is having problems since War Eternal too but I heard from map chat that it's happening to a few others as well.

I think d912pxy is overhyped at the moment. The performance is almost the same in every scenario, often it's even worse, and the amount of bugs you get is insane. Textures take years to load, or the details look on high as on low, just for example.

Please don't get me wrong, the idea is pretty good, but the goal seems far away. And as a developer myself I'm not even sure if it will ever work as planned. Taking advantage of DX12 is complex and you simply can't redirect DX9 commands to run them natively with DX12 at the same level as DX12-optimized games. It has its reasons why many games that support DX12 run worse than with DX11. There are many improvements to the entire game engine required to take advantage of it.

@Sileeent.5861 said:I think d912pxy is overhyped at the moment. The performance is almost the same in every scenario, often it's even worse, and the amount of bugs you get is insane. Textures take years to load, or the details look on high as on low, just for example.

Please don't get me wrong, the idea is pretty good, but the goal seems far away. And as a developer myself I'm not even sure if it will ever work as planned. Taking advantage of DX12 is complex and you simply can't redirect DX9 commands to run them natively with DX12 at the same level as DX12-optimized games. It has its reasons why many games that support DX12 run worse than with DX11. There are many improvements to the entire game engine required to take advantage of it.

The only reason why you are not getting extra performance out of d912pxy is because your GPU has become the bottleneck.

While it is true that gw2 is cpu heavy, it doesn't mean you don't need a good gpu.

Before I upgraded my pc, my old pc had a huge amount of fps gain.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Before I upgraded my pc, my old pc had a huge amount of fps gain.The advantages of DX12 should always be higher with bad CPUs. But the question is whether this modification brings significant improvements. If the graphics suddenly look bad and the FPS have improved a bit, then I would wonder if this isn't a consequence of the reduced details instead of DX12. For me it was that many textures were loaded very late and the longer I was on a map, the more normal the FPS was.