Do you enjoy map completion? Why or why not?

I enjoy completing mounts with no hearts, so I said sometimes. I generally enjoy LS 3 and 4 map completion more than core map completion. I prefer HoT map completion to almost all the others, because of the lack of hearts. Hearts are soul crushing after you've completed the world 14 times. lol

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do enjoy some of the maps that have something special to it. There are those which feel like filler maps and that what demotivates me the most.

I don't enjoy most of Hearts. They are very unengaging and at the beginnign I thought that this was GW2's way out of "bring me 10x of these", "kill 30x of these". But that's basically the same thing, you just fill up the quest bar.

ESO has a very nice quest system that GW2 should learn from. Just in my opinion.

Always finding something new I haven't seen before essentially in core maps.Asuran maps are the best, you can feel the lore: Metrica province or even brisban wildlands....Some rare hearts are annoying ah and take a serious time to complete...

I loathe most hearts though some of them can be fun.

However, rest of it I am completely fine with. And not just core tyria maps - any maps! I love exploring and finding new ways to do things. I give myself little challenges like trying to get all vistas (that dont kick you off the mount) on a jackal or a skimmer or a roller beetle - silly stuff like that. I find the highest points on griffon and grab all the waypoints while airborne, or try to grab them on the beetle as smoothly as possible. Sometimes I do it super optimally, other times go all over the place.

It depends how interesting the zone is and whether it can tell anything about the lore of the region. There are zones I fell in love in when I got to complete them 1st time and there are also generic boring ones. For example Metrica province is still my #1 favourite map, it is just flooded with Asuran lore, technology, characters. Every heart is some other Krewe working on their thing. On the other hand I can hardly recall most of the human low level zones stuff. Some of it felt for me "yeeah, we are fantasy Humans, bandits are here, help the peasants, oh and don't forget about centaurs". On the other hand I loved how Ebonhawke and Fields of ruin was telling the story of Human-Charr cease-fire and diplomatic talks.

I'm always initially put off by it as my ocd hates having the world map fogged over/part fogged while I do completion again (still wish there was an option that allowed you to choose 'display unfogged world map' for new chars as long as you'd done it previously).

But once I've finished a couple of zones I start to get back into it and enjoy rediscovering little areas of maps which I'd forgotten about. Then of course there are the perks like black lion keys (don't know what the chances are, but I seem to average at least 1 every 4-5 maps, had a good run once of 6 from 7 maps), plus all the mats gained too. It's also nice occasionally coming across an event which you've not done in a while, or even never have before.

Of course now mounts and the prototype position rewinder make things a lot easier these days, hop up to a mountain/tall structure, use the rewinder, dive with the griffon and cruise over some POIs, then rewind back to the mountain and do the same from another direction. Hearts overall I don't mind as most go reasonably quickly, especially if an event happens to overlap, but some I do find very tedious.

The main parts I hate redoing completion on are the PoF maps because I find them really uninteresting maps, and I find the hearts there some of the most unenjoyable in the game. And I don't really enjoy doing the cities, because although they're easy and don't really take long, they just feel like a lot of unnecessary running around for no real reason (and not even a chance at a key).

No. I hate the hearts.

I love exploring and collecting mats for that sweet gold. Hate the stupid hearts. Those need to be account wide finished so it can be promote characters to actually focus on the POIs and Vistas and actually exploring instead of recovering from the annoying mechanics of certain hearts.

I tend to groan when it comes to doing hearts... but, Imho, map completion can be fun when riding a roller beetle or full speed griffin. It really changes how you have to approach a map.

Core orr maps tend to be my favourite to explore on repeat playthroughs. It just feels faster.