Constant 'Exception: c0000005' crashing :(

Game is almost unplayable now.. i know countless other people are having this problem but i can't find the thread...

--> Crash <--Exception: c0000005
Memory at address ffffffff`ffffffff could not be readApp: Gw2-64.exePid: 6696BaseAddr: 00007FF662BA0000ProgramId: 101Build: 95607When: 2019-03-16T21:00:11ZUptime: 0 days 0:18:45Flags: 0

--> System <--

• 3 weeks later...

If you have GW2 Hook installed, get rid of it. Clean windows registry and reboot your computer.Happened to me yesterday, constant crashing for about 1 hours or more. No issue at all after I removed GW2 Hook.

Some people have also reported that running the game in Windowed Fullscreen mode might resolve the issue. Worth a try.If nothing works...well good luck, I've scrolled through tons of posts yesterday and no one has ever been sure of where the issue is coming from.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Sunyavadin.7962 said:Started happening to me this morning. Now it happens any time I try to load a character.Currently running a game repair, to see if a new patch broke anything, since nothing else installed on my system has updated in over a week.

FYI, there's been no recent GW2 patches (last one March 29th).

Doesn't seem to be tie to a patch...for me, it started to happen 2 days ago right after buying the expansions. This issue just seem to pop up randomly for some people...for whatever reason. The fix never seem to be the same twice.

Yep, running the repair so far seems to have fixed it. It was happening on every single zone transition, but it's not happened once since running the repair. I can't think of anything but a bad download of an update having caused it. I know the launcher downloaded one the first time I fired it up when the problems began, so I'm guessing that was the culprit.

@Sunyavadin.7962 said:Yep, running the repair so far seems to have fixed it. It was happening on every single zone transition, but it's not happened once since running the repair. I can't think of anything but a bad download of an update having caused it. I know the launcher downloaded one the first time I fired it up when the problems began, so I'm guessing that was the culprit.

Yeah, seems like it...errors started after buying the expansions for me. Fixed it by removing GW2 Hook and cleaning everything.It worked for 3 days straight and then, build update. Issue is back.The repair fixed it as well. I don't know what's happening but it as been hell since I've updated to the expansions. Never got a single issue, freeze or crash before that and now those crashes. And also an issue where models and textures take forever to show up...yesterday, I've been hitting invisible walls and walking on invisible grounds for a good 5 minutes before the game finally load everything (in Lion's Arch)...same again, expansions...I'd love to say that the issue is from something else, but that's the only thing I've changed.

It's really getting annoying.

Have to be honest some strange things have been popping up these past 2 days.. the logout repair archive loop I and a few others have had being one, then today exception crashes when swapping instance or characters.. as for patching, I thought there was a few smaller patches over last few days following the rift event, according to the patch notes... maybe connected who knows.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Are you using GW2-64? Have a 64-bit OS? The expansions' minimum requirements are much higher than the Core game.

Yes, to everything. AMD Ryzen 51600 OC, GTX 1060 6GB OC, 16GB RamI know it's a CPU intensive game so I don't expect my CPU to carry the game to 60+ fps in really big fights (usually around 45~50). But it doesn't explain the crashes and other issues that have happened since a few days.It's pretty far beyond the minimum requirements.

And seeing the different reports, this problem seems to happen on all kind of configurations.

The game still runs perfectly stable (if with a pretty poor framerate in expansion maps) on my old laptop which sits in a corner of my bedroom acting as a media server since I upgraded to this one. And that's an old AMD A8-6410 APU with 16gb of 1333 RAM. These kinds of crashes are definitely not a matter of minimum requirements, so don't worry there. In my case it was definitely a bad download of an update. My guess is the textures it kept saying were missing were corrupted during the install. But there are probably a few potential causes of these errors.

@Sunyavadin.7962 said:The game still runs perfectly stable (if with a pretty poor framerate in expansion maps) on my old laptop which sits in a corner of my bedroom acting as a media server since I upgraded to this one. And that's an old AMD A8-6410 APU with 16gb of 1333 RAM. These kinds of crashes are definitely not a matter of minimum requirements, so don't worry there. In my case it was definitely a bad download of an update. My guess is the textures it kept saying were missing were corrupted during the install. But there are probably a few potential causes of these errors.

Yeah I'm not really worry about that. I play with a friend running it on a macbook from 2012 =)

• 2 months later...

do you have any hooks or injectors maybe on your setup? An example of this is d3d9.dll which commonly used to inject functionalities by 3rd party applications. If yes, you can try disabling them. You can even go as far as getting rid of d3d9.dll. Idk, Just rename it into d3d9.dll.bak.something.etc.haha. just so it won't go off.

I remember lavasoft's antivirus being the cause of this some time ago. It was 2 or 3ish years since that was reported in the forums though. I guess you could uninstall your antivirus temporarily too just to rule it out.

What i'm trying to say is...that error has been known to be triggered some things not directly related to the game ...so you can try to disable a bunch of things.

@godofcows.2451 said:I remember lavasoft's antivirus being the cause of this some time ago. It was 2 or 3ish years since that was reported in the forums though. I guess you could uninstall your antivirus temporarily too just to rule it out.

You could simply add the GW2 installation folder (or at least the Gw2-64.exe) to the list of exceptions for your antivirus' behavior shield.

I have reinstalled the game and cleaned drivers/reinstalled, without addons and i don't use anti virus software (apart from windows defender). I feel like i have tried everything.. diagnosed memory which is fine etc etc.

I'm at the point of wanting to simply build a new PC or reinstall the OS from scratch.

However I noticed the pattern of the crashes (which usually seem random) since the latest update:

1. Entering mistlock sanctuary (with graphics settings on high) results in a crash within seconds/minutes.. much longer with low graphics settings.

2. Dragonfall meta: (bosss/chest farm at the end) I would crash as soon as i reached the boss/zerg regardless of gfx settings..

Not sure if significant as i will still randomly crash on low settings in general, but i'm thinking it's a memory issue...

c0000005 is not typically a game issue. It is a failure in windows files or device drivers. Faulty data in the games dat file can cause these files to encounter an error when processing things and indirectly cause this error. But when repairing the client didnt help, it is wise to look into the device drivers first. The best way is to re-install the device drivers. I would start with the GPU, but if that doesnt help, also try the sound if it is anything special.

If the problem persist, look at the OS files by reinstalling the OS.