Gw2 F2p trailer

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Danikat.8537 said:Yes, that does appear to be a F2P trailer.

Are you just letting us know it exists, or did you have some thoughts on it as well?

Mostly know ppl it exists. It doesnt apear on theor channel when you search and it was posted 5 days ago.

If someone wants to make a point, on why this was posted, what it means etc they are free to do so.

Text displayed at the end of the video.

Join a legion 11 million strong.

From the YouTube description:

Guild Wars 2 is about your journey, they things you do, the people you meet, and the experiences you have ever day. Visit http://welcome.guildwars2.com/play-gu... to get started!

Interestingly, the video doesn't seem to appear at

The Free-to-play video from 3 years ago is:

You can now play Guild Wars 2 core game for free! To learn more, please visit: https://welcome.guildwars2.com/play-for-free

Could have been a trailer/ad for their now not published mobile game, and since it was finished they just used it for not wasting money? Esthetically, it looks like an add for "super fabtasybase builder 6" and not worthy for an AAA mmo. But well, it's something at least.

@"sigur.9453" said:Could have been a trailer/ad for their now not published mobile game, and since it was finished they just used it for not wasting money? Esthetically, it looks like an add for "super fabtasybase builder 6" and not worthy for an AAA mmo. But well, it's something at least.

Arenanet doesnt really do cgi (for gw2) they did a couple live action but most were stylised.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"sigur.9453" said:Could have been a trailer/ad for their now not published mobile game, and since it was finished they just used it for not wasting money? Esthetically, it looks like an add for "super fabtasybase builder 6" and not worthy for an AAA mmo. But well, it's something at least.

Arenanet doesnt really do cgi (for gw2) they did a couple live action but most were stylised.

Yeah I know, that's why I thought they might have used a trailer that might have been planned for another gw related game. As I said, although I like cgi trailers (looking at eso) this one does not fit esthetically (imo) and if I would look for a new mmo to play, I wouldn't be sold. Just my feedback to this trailer

Maybe it's just me but I've noticed Anet becoming more intense with their marketing campaign over the past month. This trailer might be part of it, alongside the "welcome back" thing, LS promotion, newsletter giveaway and aggressive social media tactics. We can speculate about the reasons for the change and its timing but I'm more interested in the results. This game could do with more "young blood", and if the promotion succeeds on that, it benefits everyone.

@Trise.2865 said:Oh, you made a trailer. Good for you.

Are you suggesting the OP made the trailer? Pretty mad skills if so!

@zealex.9410 said:Mostly know ppl it exists. It doesnt apear on theor channel when you search and it was posted 5 days ago.

Where was it posted? I don't see it on their twitter and as others have noted, it isn't on their YouTube channel. Though it is on YouTube itself and appears to have been uploaded by ANet.

@sigur.9453 said:

@sigur.9453 said:Could have been a trailer/ad for their now not published mobile game, and since it was finished they just used it for not wasting money? Esthetically, it looks like an add for "super fabtasybase builder 6" and not worthy for an AAA mmo. But well, it's something at least.

Yeah I know, that's why I thought they might have used a trailer that might have been planned for another gw related game. As I said, although I like cgi trailers (looking at eso) this one does not fit esthetically (imo) and if I would look for a new mmo to play, I wouldn't be sold. Just my feedback to this trailer

I don't trust trailers that don't use in-game graphics. It makes me wonder why they're avoiding showing me the thing they're supposed to be marketing. What do they have to hide? Do they have so little faith in their own game that they don't want me to see it? I won't refuse to play a game that does that, but it means I'll disregard that trailer as unreliable and potentially misleading information and I'm basically back at square one, knowing nothing more about the game than I did before.

Admittedly that's not usually such an issue these days, at least not with trailers. About 20 years ago when full motion video cut-scenes were all the rage but actual graphics were quite a way behind that it was common to advertise games entirely using footage from the cut scenes and try to avoid giving away that the game itself looked completely different. But I think, at least in the UK, advertising standards put a stop to that and now they have to include a disclaimer if the advert isn't in-game footage.

So now you just have to worry about online adverts where they've stolen screenshots from other games and are trying to pass it off as theirs. (There was a highly amusing one a while back showing a character levelling up - apparently your GW2 norn could level up into a WoW blood elf and then into something from Aion!)

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi everyone. I am so glad you found this. It is a brand new CG piece made for our marketing blitz for the next few months. There are quite a few new videos and ads that will be going live. I hope you all enjoy them or at least can appreciate the intention of growing the GW2 community.

Would you like to see the other videos?

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

@Mike Silbowitz.1827 said:Hi everyone. I am so glad you found this. It is a brand new CG piece made for our marketing blitz for the next few months. There are quite a few new videos and ads that will be going live. I hope you all enjoy them or at least can appreciate the intention of growing the GW2 community.

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

In all honesty, not if they are like that. This is not meant as disrespect to your work, but that trailer does not show GW2. It does not show what it is about, why people should play it or reflect pretty much anything about the game at all beyond over the top flashing coloured weapons. It's just a generic fantasy video with no meaning or context. If I saw that video as a non-player it wouldn't make me think I should investigate further.

By all means make more videos, but make them relevant to the game

• ArenaNet Staff

In all honesty, not if they are like that. This is not meant as disrespect to your work, but that trailer does not show GW2. It does not show what it is about, why people should play it or reflect pretty much anything about the game at all beyond over the top flashing coloured weapons. It's just a generic fantasy video with no meaning or context. If I saw that video as a non-player it wouldn't make me think I should investigate further.

I respect your POV. Hopefully the target audience, which is people who are not currently familiar with GW2 will find this enticing enough to give it a go. :-)

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Mike Silbowitz.1827 said:Hi everyone. I am so glad you found this. It is a brand new CG piece made for our marketing blitz for the next few months. There are quite a few new videos and ads that will be going live. I hope you all enjoy them or at least can appreciate the intention of growing the GW2 community.

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

Ever seen a League of Legends ad or cinematic? This is pretty much industry standard. Just show off something cool related to the game, not the game itself necessarily.

Basically any mobile ad too lul

@Blocki.4931 said:

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

Ever seen a League of Legends ad or cinematic? This is pretty much industry standard. Just show off something cool related to the game, not the game itself necessarily.

Basically any not ingame mmo trailer ever.Tho i guess they could've made this trailer more relevant to the story.

Then again trailers like that are for big content updates like expansions which is.. abit of a grey area rn lul

The 11 million strong ad works - it reflects your brand and shows how tightly the game is tied to its community. This is the direction you want to continue to take - emphasizing that GW2 really knows what the "massively multiplayer" in MMO should really mean.

The Black Citadel tourism ad - not as much. It feels like it could be about any MMO - and quite frankly, the locations you "brag" about in the ad don't really add any enticing flavor or content to the game.

Your brand differentiator - the thing that sets you apart from your competitors - is how well the game brings 100+ strangers together on a map to face down a foe. People can play hundreds of thousands of single player games. There are tons of coop games (and other MMOs that are more focused on group content) that bring together small groups (2-10 players) to face a challenge. GW2 shines in the large open world (in both PVE and WVW) where there are 100 or more other players - and I cant think of any other game (including other MMOs) that can rival you there.

Center your marketing around that message (which you do very well in the 11 million strong ad) and you have something worth the effort.

@"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:Hi everyone. I am so glad you found this. It is a brand new CG piece made for our marketing blitz for the next few months. There are quite a few new videos and ads that will be going live. I hope you all enjoy them or at least can appreciate the intention of growing the GW2 community.

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

I like the first video; but I may be biased, enjoying playing GW2 as I do. And, yes, I'd love to see the other videos.Edit: Not that fond of the 'Black Citadel' video. Hard to understand the audio, and it seems to be a joke? Not sure non-players will understand...

This page: https://welcome.guildwars2.com/en/play-guild-wars-2You might check the typo(s) before mass release. (Mega-battlesand)

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:Hi everyone. I am so glad you found this. It is a brand new CG piece made for our marketing blitz for the next few months. There are quite a few new videos and ads that will be going live. I hope you all enjoy them or at least can appreciate the intention of growing the GW2 community.

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

While considerable portion of the gaming community dislikes CG trailers and are in favor of gameplay footage, I don't think it's the case for the more casual audience. CG grabs the eye of that "outside" audience more effectively which is why it is mainly used in mainstream media promos (like tv ads).

Personally, I'm fine with it (and this one specifically) as long as the campaign includes other promo material that has gameplay or in-engine scenes. Some of the most successful game trailers of all time have been purely CG after all.

@Blocki.4931 said:

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

I've seen them and ignored them. My twitter feed often gets such things to show me. If I see something that shows me bland, generic cgi footage, I don't investigate further. To me it shows that a company isn't confident enough in its product to show off their actual game or they lack the imagination to make something really creative that does reflect their game.

I know Anet can produce better for this target audience because they made this;

Now I normally wouldn't go for a full CGI trailer, but if they insist on that route , this at least communicates a snapshot of story and clearly is trying to bring out some of the flavour of the game. It would at least warrant me looking into it further.

At the end of the day, if Anet want to put out basic, generic cgi trailers that are "industry standard", that's up them. I just think they're better than that