Gw2 F2p trailer

@"Blaeys.3102" said:The 11 million strong ad works - it reflects your brand and shows how tightly the game is tied to its community. This is the direction you want to continue to take - emphasizing that GW2 really knows what the "massively multiplayer" in MMO should really mean.

Id try and do something akin to the ads Apex legends has been doing, showcasing its community and their game through them. U can have clips of community members (streamers, youtubers) doing their thing in gw2, showing all the fun that can be had, pvp, ow, raids, fractals, wvw.

Also, it might be beneficial for you Anet to look into twitch, twitch prime, and drop campaigns like a lot other games (mmos included) @"Mike Silbowitz.1827"

Id personally suggest looking at the campaigns warframe and eso are doing.

The Black Citadel tourism ad - not as much. It feels like it could be about any MMO - and quite frankly, the locations you "brag" about in the ad don't really add any enticing flavor or content to the game.

It feels like an ad u'd see of gw2 back in 2012, there are newer and better looking areas to explore and showcase. If this is aimed at completely new ppl id instead advertise expansion zones as these are newer, better, pretrier and more relevant.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:Ok. Lets' play it safe first. I'm showing you a tourism ad.

What do you think?

This one showcases nicely the rusty "bleakness" that those furries enjoy so much. I'm assuming there will be one of these for each racial HUB but I would include Tarir and Amnoon in the mix to show off the expansions. And LA of course.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Blaeys.3102" said:The 11 million strong ad works - it reflects your brand and shows how tightly the game is tied to its community. This is the direction you want to continue to take - emphasizing that GW2 really knows what the "massively multiplayer" in MMO should really mean.

The Black Citadel tourism ad - not as much. It feels like it could be about any MMO - and quite frankly, the locations you "brag" about in the ad don't really add any enticing flavor or content to the game.

Your brand differentiator - the thing that sets you apart from your competitors - is how well the game brings 100+ strangers together on a map to face down a foe. People can play hundreds of thousands of single player games. There are tons of coop games (and other MMOs that are more focused on group content) that bring together small groups (2-10 players) to face a challenge. GW2 shines in the large open world (in both PVE and WVW) where there are 100 or more other players - and I cant think of any other game (including other MMOs) that can rival you there.

Center your marketing around that message (which you do very well in the 11 million strong ad) and you have something worth the effort.

Thank you. A reward for your feedback:

• ArenaNet Staff

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:Hi everyone. I am so glad you found this. It is a brand new CG piece made for our marketing blitz for the next few months. There are quite a few new videos and ads that will be going live. I hope you all enjoy them or at least can appreciate the intention of growing the GW2 community.

Would you like to see the other videos?

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

I like the first video; but I may be biased, enjoying playing GW2 as I do. And, yes, I'd love to see the other videos.Edit: Not that fond of the 'Black Citadel' video. Hard to understand the audio, and it seems to be a joke? Not sure non-players will understand...

This page:
You might check the typo(s) before mass release. (Mega-battlesand)

A reward for your feedback:

• ArenaNet Staff

In all honesty, not if they are like that. This is not meant as disrespect to your work, but that trailer does not show GW2. It does not show what it is about, why people should play it or reflect pretty much anything about the game at all beyond over the top flashing coloured weapons. It's just a generic fantasy video with no meaning or context. If I saw that video as a non-player it wouldn't make me think I should investigate further.

By all means make more videos, but make them relevant to the game

While considerable portion of the gaming community dislikes CG trailers and are in favor of gameplay footage, I don't think it's the case for the more casual audience. CG grabs the eye of that "outside" audience more effectively which is why it is mainly used in mainstream media promos (like tv ads).

Personally, I'm fine with it (and this one specifically) as long as the campaign includes other promo material that has gameplay or in-engine scenes. Some of the most successful game trailers of all time have been purely CG after all.

You get it :-)

A reward for your brilliance:

• ArenaNet Staff

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Mike Silbowitz.1827" said:Hi everyone. I am so glad you found this. It is a brand new CG piece made for our marketing blitz for the next few months. There are quite a few new videos and ads that will be going live. I hope you all enjoy them or at least can appreciate the intention of growing the GW2 community.

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

In all honesty, not if they are like that. This is not meant as disrespect to your work, but that trailer does not show GW2. It does not show what it is about, why people should play it or reflect pretty much anything about the game at all beyond over the top flashing coloured weapons. It's just a generic fantasy video with no meaning or context. If I saw that video as a non-player it wouldn't make me think I should investigate further.

Ever seen a League of Legends ad or cinematic? This is pretty much industry standard. Just show off something cool related to the game, not the game itself necessarily.

Basically any mobile ad too lul

I've seen them and ignored them. My twitter feed often gets such things to show me. If I see something that shows me bland, generic cgi footage, I don't investigate further. To me it shows that a company isn't confident enough in its product to show off their actual game or they lack the imagination to make something really creative that does reflect their game.

I know Anet can produce better for this target audience because they made this;

Now I normally wouldn't go for a full CGI trailer, but if they insist on that route , this at least communicates a snapshot of story and clearly is trying to bring out some of the flavour of the game. It would at least warrant me looking into it further.

At the end of the day, if Anet want to put out basic, generic cgi trailers that are "industry standard", that's up them. I just think they're better than that

I love the standard you hold us to. We will release a plethora of assets to engage many different audiences. CG won't work on you and I am glad you are already a strong part of our community. Hopefully we engage some new players into our community.

@Mike Silbowitz.1827 said:

@Mike Silbowitz.1827 said:Hi everyone. I am so glad you found this. It is a brand new CG piece made for our marketing blitz for the next few months. There are quite a few new videos and ads that will be going live. I hope you all enjoy them or at least can appreciate the intention of growing the GW2 community.

AnetHoGM

CantStopWontStop

Ever seen a League of Legends ad or cinematic? This is pretty much industry standard. Just show off something cool related to the game, not the game itself necessarily.

Basically any mobile ad too lul

I've seen them and ignored them. My twitter feed often gets such things to show me. If I see something that shows me bland, generic cgi footage, I don't investigate further. To me it shows that a company isn't confident enough in its product to show off their actual game or they lack the imagination to make something really creative that does reflect their game.

I know Anet can produce better for this target audience because they made this;

Now I normally wouldn't go for a full CGI trailer, but if they insist on that route , this at least communicates a snapshot of story and clearly is trying to bring out some of the flavour of the game. It would at least warrant me looking into it further.

At the end of the day, if Anet want to put out basic, generic cgi trailers that are "industry standard", that's up them. I just think they're better than that

I love the standard you hold us to. We will release a plethora of assets to engage many different audiences. CG won't work on you and I am glad you are already a strong part of our community. Hopefully we engage some new players into our community.

I love how much you talk to us, giving each of us a little bit of a personalized message too. Great start? :) Definitely excited for whats to come. Maybe one of these will eventually get my friends on the fence back to playing the game with me

• ArenaNet Staff

I love how much you talk to us, giving each of us a little bit of a personalized message too. Great start? :) Definitely excited for whats to come. Maybe one of these will eventually get my friends on the fence back to playing the game with me

I talk to you guys because you're legitimately awesome. The excitement I feel from the community makes it so fun to share stuff early with all of you. :-)

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Ha! Evidently, I'm slow. It took all 3 'summon' videos before I understood the campaign.I didn't really like it, at first, but now I get it. I hope comedy is the hook that brings many players to Tyria.

Good luck.

Oh, and thank you very much for the reward! :star:

Edit: Oh! You fixed it already. Well done! :+1:

you're welcome :-)

@Mike Silbowitz.1827 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Ha! Evidently, I'm slow. It took all 3 'summon' videos before I understood the campaign.I didn't really like it, at first, but now I get it. I hope comedy is the hook that brings many players to Tyria.

Good luck.

Oh, and thank you very much for the reward! :star:

Edit: Oh! You fixed it already. Well done! :+1:

you're welcome :-)

You make us (well, me) feel special and that our feedback is appreciated. It's funny; I was just thinking we hadn't heard from you in a looong time, and was wondering if that first spate of interaction was just a fluke. Glad to see it wasn't. :cookie:

@Mike Silbowitz.1827Only thing i like about trailer is 11 milion part, but tbh, it doesnt show anything. we see some ppl with shiny weapons and a dragon. Personally when i want to find something about the game, im looking for a gameplay videos, and imo putting some more of a real action into a trailer could be beneficial.This trailer doesnt make gw2 any uniqe at the background of other mmos, imo. Even putting legendary weapons in trailer could be something. Cheers!

Oh wow, it's so nice to see Devs are putting lots of work to target audience. Love these short clips with slight humor.I'm not a hater on a first animated clip, it's done well and somewhat entertaining, but as many others said I prefer to keep original Gw2 style with CGI like Rytlock's HoT trailer, that one was awesome. Not a big fan of Fortnite style, way too many of them around atm.Can't wait to see what new stuff they are hiding from us! Keep on going!

Your brand differentiator - the thing that sets you apart from your competitors - is how well the game brings 100+ strangers together on a map to face down a foe. People can play hundreds of thousands of single player games. There are tons of coop games (and other MMOs that are more focused on group content) that bring together small groups (2-10 players) to face a challenge. GW2 shines in the large open world (in both PVE and WVW) where there are 100 or more other players - and I cant think of any other game (including other MMOs) that can rival you there.

Center your marketing around that message (which you do very well in the 11 million strong ad) and you have something worth the effort.

I agree. I'll add to that, along those same lines is the general sense of cooperation created by the game environment. It seems to me that GW2 was very trend setting in a philosophical approach that focused on cooperative play and rewarding altruistic game play. By that I mean things like open-tagging, individually instanced harvesting nodes, XP for rezzing players and NPCs alike, etc. I can remember other titles resisting such features, because they were afraid of overly exploitative behavior. But in my opinion, the 'pros' far out weigh the 'cons', and GW2 proved it. Now most other games follow GW2s example.

I can't really put my finger on it, but there is a general sense of 'positivity' that is unique to GW2. Its one of the reasons I always come back to the game, and definitely a selling point in comparison to competitors.

I'm not exactly sure how you pitch those features in a 30 second blurb, but I absolutely think that those characteristics unique to the GW2 environment, should be highlighted.

@"Randulf.7614" said:In all honesty, not if they are like that. This is not meant as disrespect to your work, but that trailer does not show GW2. It does not show what it is about, why people should play it or reflect pretty much anything about the game at all beyond over the top flashing coloured weapons. It's just a generic fantasy video with no meaning or context.

I agree. On Reddit, there's a theory that this was actually meant for one of the other projects ArenaNet had been working on and, since those projects were cancelled, the videos have been repurposed. The first video does feel like an add for a mobile game, doesn't it?

IMO, ArenaNet's art team is incredibly talented; I REALLY like the cinematic style that looks like animated concept art, such as seen here:

And here:

I hope one day we will have this kind of cinematic again. It feels very unique to Guild Wars 2.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:On Reddit, there's a theory that this was actually meant for one of the other projects ArenaNet had been working on and, since those projects were cancelled, the videos have been repurposed. The first video does feel like an add for a mobile game, doesn't it?

100 percent not accurate. All these videos were made specifically for GW2 with the specific intention of bringing new players into our vibrant community.

Anything new gw2 gets a thumbsup from me. Still slowly dragging swtor folks over. And soon, Anthem. I think I've already got my BDO people over.

One of the really huge things for me, after trying other mmo's, was the smoothness of play even with a full Tequatl map, etc. (Then again, I came from SWTOR where you couldn't get smooth play with a 16 man raid.) Perhaps showcase a few meta's flipping between boss(let's face it, some of them really are epic) and the mass amount of players? What I wouldn't give to see a quick flash of the usual Auric Basin PANIC chats. Or a Triple Trouble overview followed by shots of each boss toppling.

Definitely mention the oodles of things a ftp player can do, aside from story and leveling. Festivals, gen 1 legendaries, flashpoints, er, I mean, fractals. Then again you likely have it all laid out. Keep em coming.

I recommend reaching out to the community to submit the craziest and fun moments they have had as a guild or party. Or, try and contact some of the existing streamers content that is highly viewed on youtube and ask if you can use the content for a montage promoting the game. There has been a lot of crazy and zany moments caught on streaming for GW2. I recommend trying to promote that as it is the strongest aspect of GW2 - the things that happen in the community.

@Randulf.7614 said:By all means make more videos, but make them relevant to the game

I agree. They might give you a feel for the graphics engine (although not necessarily a realistic one, since upping downed players doesn't look as realisticly cool as in the first video, namely grabbing them and helping them back up on their feet, but rather like caressing a sleeping kitty), but it doesn't tell you anything of the uniqueness of the game. However, the aspect of humor is a nice hook. :+1:

On a side note, I am super happy to see ANet making efforts for real advertisement of the game. <3 It's about time! :)

The first video was good. I'd not have everyone with a glowing neon weapon though. I loved it showed the player helping other players up.Scrap the tourism videos. The VO is uninspiring, and the quality of footage is poor. GW2 is a gorgeous game in high graphic settings. Please show it off. Also, GW2 tourism kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouth since the whole Tyrian Taxi/Become a Tyrian Citizen campaign.I think the focus that 'You are the Hero. The Commander' really should be highlighted.