Which old maps would you like to see “expand” or update?

The future of GW2 blog post had a lot of exciting stuff. What caught my eye in particular was the notion we might revisit old maps with expanded boarders and/or content.

Is there a particular map you’d like to return to? What kind of updates or new content would you like to see?

The first notion that comes to mind is revisiting Gandara and revamping the meta event. I would love to see more inside the fort besides 1 hallway!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see Anet update all PoF maps (including LWS4) and reduce enemy aggro range from 900 to 600 like the rest of the game. This alone would make me actually play in PoF maps. Currently, the aggro range is so infuriatingly annoying I just don‘t do PoF stuff except when I have no choice (such as needing to upgrade mounts, which can only be done in PoF maps). Kill stuff and before I can mount, more enemies aggro from out of nowhere. Kill those and before I can mount, ANOTHER group of enemies aggro. Kill those and before I can mount... here comes ANOTHER kitten aggro! This kitten aggro range takes the fun out of exploring. I can't even look at the map or chat before something disrupts me, again.

For core Tyria maps, the old Ascalon maps are often the most barren from my experience. I’ve done several map completions without hardly ever seeing another player. Also, reducing the total number of hearts for all core Tyrian maps would be great for world completion.

Another thing I would like to see in core Tyria maps, is have some challenging events (in a corner of the map or something so that new or leveling players don't get frustrated) that are meant for veteran players. They don't have to be actually challenging, just at least be on par with HoT and PoF.

For HoT, I’d like to see Anet change all main day/outpost event chains for VB, AB, and TD into solo events. People rarely do these, so it’s hard to find groups to complete them. I tried soloing the group events, but due to mechanics, many of these events are just not worth the time to solo.

I'd probably like the ones that have the most invisible walls updated. I'm thinking there are some maps which when designed, did not envision anyone getting to the top of various hills, etc, and so those get blocked off.Going to the Silverwastes was actually refreshing, since I don't think there are any invisible walls there (except at the edge of the map). Likely because the jumping puzzle there took the characters to various parts of the map.More generally, I'd just like all no glide/no mount areas removed, except in cases where the JP is isolated (some are in caverns or otherwise areas one does not normally visit). Pretty annoying to be going around a map and get thrown off your mount because you are too close to some jumping puzzle.

I think any core Tyria map update would be good. They already did this in LS2 with fields of ruin, it has some really nontrivial events that scale up properly. For me, pretty much all of the core maps for levels below 70 need serious adjusting to their events and scaling, as I really avoid attempting a daily there due to how difficult it becomes to reach event credit.

There are other things I'd like, like updating the bitterfrost frontier dailies (most boring set of all LS maps), or just adding a heart or two to bloodstone fen.

I am not sure what OP means with "old"? Areas from GW1? Or original areas from GW2? I answer based on this last one.

There are two things I would love to see:

• An extension of the snowy areas (Far Shiverpeaks), up to reaching the Hall of Monument location.
  • An opening of the area in the north region of Kryta called Woodland Cascades. If you look at map, you can see a little 80 written, what tends to prove that this area is probably ready for use.

:)

New maps are my absolute favorite thing and what really keeps me here, so if we must revisit old maps, I’m assuming they will actually get bigger? Cover more space on the map. So I’d like to see gaps filled in, like between Jahai and vabbi, vabbi and desolation, all of the rest of heart of maguuma, etc

@BlueJin.4127 said:Before old maps, I would like to see Anet reduce enemy aggro range of all PoF maps (including LWS4) from 900 to 600 like the rest of the game. This alone would make me actually play in PoF maps. Currently, the aggro range is so infuriatingly annoying I just don‘t do PoF stuff except when I have no choice (such as needing to upgrade mounts, which can only be done in PoF maps).

Before THAT they should fix the bug where the mobs just randomly become invulnerable. -_-

I'd like to see any core maps being updated. I'm not sure if I readed it somewhere, but when Head of the Snake episode came out and White Mantle attacked, I thought it would be so exciting if destroying dam connecting Queensdale and Lake Doric would cause Queensdale to be flooded, completely changing whole map, adding new events, achievements. For me this would be much more exciting to have whole episode here instead of making Lake Doric map and I hope to see something like this in the future of Living World.

@"Svennis.3852" said:The future of GW2 blog post had a lot of exciting stuff. What caught my eye in particular was the notion we might revisit old maps with expanded boarders and/or content.

Is there a particular map you’d like to return to? What kind of updates or new content would you like to see?

The first notion that comes to mind is revisiting Gandara and revamping the meta event. I would love to see more inside the fort besides 1 hallway!

This suggestion I made some time ago. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/53716/suggestion-timberline-falls-update#latest

I would also like to see the open core non-Orr maps updated to remove the Zhaitan's risen and replaced with various other creatures. They would still show up on personal story instances of those maps but removing them from open PvE would make the maps more generic regarding which time frame they take place in. With Orr I'd like to see them index the dialog (on the same map instance) for characters, events, etc and graphic/sound assets based on if the player character is pre or post personal story completion. If pre they would see what's there now but if post the place could look more green with pocket raptors rather than risen chickens, live version of undead creatures , bandits and krait maybe with some vine-touched destroyers. It seems to me that Mordremoth would have had a heavy influence on the greening of the Orr maps after Zhaitan's demise.

I'd like to see the Durmand Priory instance become an open world area, where your character can store the books they acquired through their adventures. I love lore and everytime I complete a book I have to destroy it because I need the inventory space...I'd also like that, when we get in a low-level area, or damage is reduced even more, but crit chance isn't. As a Fresh Air weaver I really feel it when my character almost never crits...

@BlueJin.4127 said:Before old maps, I would like to see Anet reduce enemy aggro range of all PoF maps (including LWS4) from 900 to 600 like the rest of the game. This alone would make me actually play in PoF maps. Currently, the aggro range is so infuriatingly annoying I just don‘t do PoF stuff except when I have no choice (such as needing to upgrade mounts, which can only be done in PoF maps).

Personally I like it when I'm walking past an ennemy and they don't just stand there looking at me. The desert is huge, so it kind of makes sense to have an increased aggro range because you have so mutch more room to avoid them (and mounts that help you get past quicker).

For core Tyria maps, the old Ascalon maps are often the most barren from my experience. I’ve done several map completions without hardly ever seeing another player. Also, reducing the total number of hearts for all core Tyrian maps would be great for world completion.

I wouldn't like reducing the number of hearts, why would you remove content? However I'd like it if once you hit lvl 80, all hearts become repeatable. That would bring back a little bit of life in the core maps, and would make veterans players more keen to come and help lower level players.

For HoT, I’d like to see Anet change all main day/outpost event chains for VB, AB, and TD into solo events. People rarely do these, so it’s hard to find groups to complete them.

When the entire map is one single meta event it's pretty easy to find people if you get there soon enough. Now for Verdant Brink I agree that there are some events that are just never done (though you can bring some people if you have mentor/commander tag). I would like to see a mechanic that benefits everyone if all the events on the map are done.

@"Solvar.7953" said:More generally, I'd just like all no glide/no mount areas removed, except in cases where the JP is isolated (some are in caverns or otherwise areas one does not normally visit). Pretty annoying to be going around a map and get thrown off your mount because you are too close to some jumping puzzle.

This never happened to me. I don't see where you'd need to go through a jumping puzzle to get from point A to point B with a mount. Jumping puzzles are as mutch part of the game as anything else, removing them by allowing mounts to bypass them would be a terrible idea. And yes, I am also against mesmer portals. The puzzle in Lion's Arch was amazing, I'd like to see it come back.

What if puzzles had a specific "entry point" to their non-gliding/mounting areas? Going specificly through that point would disable mounts, gliding, and teleportations. Entering the puzzle by any other point would give you a debuff that wouldn't dismount you, but would teleport you away if you tried to get any of the rewards or if you tried to get through specific checkpoints placed throughout the puzzle. That way you can get past a puzzle with a mount or a glider, but if you try to do it from there, you'll be kicked out.

Kourna is what came first to my mind when I read that announcement. Actually getting into Gandara and having things (events, collections, whatever) happen in there would be great.

But most of all I'm hoping that ANet will choose the maps that make sense for their vision of the story, rather than trying to come up with something just because a certain area "needs" additions (according to whoever). ANet has proven time and time again that they're best when they follow their creative vision.

I would like the racial cities being changed and turned into open world combat maps (mostly). I think that urban combat makes the game feel more alive and real.To solve the issue for new players, make all the merchants and services flee to the portal where you exit town, and add an additional asura service to portal into instances. These area's are safe zones for the players to trade and do their bussiness. These maps are excellent for some awesome meta's, like battle for LA showed us as well.

Pretty much all of them.. I'd also like to see new map based on the ground where the Arah story mission takes place.

I guess my main desire would be to expand the starter maps, Queensdale for example I'd love to see expanded all the way North around to the back of Divinitys Reach.

All core Tyria maps (especially Orr) and POF maps could use a bit of replayability meta map-wide events with meaningful rewards that are on par with HoT maps. Give us map chests at the end that are tied to core Tyria rewards/ascended materials! Make the temple takeovers in Orr more rewarding and fun and add maybe some Orr exclusive map currencies.

Please update LWS2 and LWS3 maps with more meaningful rewards and events too so they stay relevant and motivating.(only reason to replay them is to grind for ascended HoT stat trinkets).