New PvP Titles - Season 17 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New PvP Titles - Season 17

edited April 9, 2019 in PVP

Hey folks!

After the recent vote we had, and looking through the suggestions, we've decided to go with the nobility theme, but replace "of PvP" with "of the Arena."

1st: God/Goddess of the Arena
2nd: Demigod/Demigoddess of the Arena
3rd: King/Queen of the Arena
4th-10th: Prince/Princess of the Arena
11th–25th: Duke/Duchess of the Arena
26th-100th: Baron/Baroness of the Arena
101st–250th: Knight/Dame of the Arena

The current plan is to have this in place for season 17.

If you earned the current titles, they will not go away.

Thanks!

Ben Phongluangtham
Game Designer
Reddit: ANET_BenP
Twitch: AnetBenP

Tagged:

Comments

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    cool deal man

    The horror...…….the horror...…….the horror...…….

  • I'm guessing the titles will stay for later seasons or are there any plans for minor changes along the way?

  • @phoenixXx.9105 said:
    I'm guessing the titles will stay for later seasons or are there any plans for minor changes along the way?

    No current plans to change them again for later seasons, but it's always possible.

    Ben Phongluangtham
    Game Designer
    Reddit: ANET_BenP
    Twitch: AnetBenP

  • Meteor.3720Meteor.3720 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 Will there be any incentive to get a title more than once? Or at least will such an incentive be introduced in the future? I like the new titles but a pre-existing issue is that once you've achieved a certain rank and got the associated title there isn't any particular reason to push for that rank again.

  • sarkysek.1085sarkysek.1085 Member ✭✭✭

    Thanks for the heads-up, Ben! New titles sound pretty cool, will definitely try to get at least top 100 next season!

  • mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm glad you went with "Nobility of the Arena'. That was my favorite option.

    The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

  • Sampson.2403Sampson.2403 Member ✭✭✭

    So now no one is going to think im cool because of my ruthless legend title? (Dude no one ever thought that you were cool)

    ...harsh

  • @Meteor.3720 said:
    @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 Will there be any incentive to get a title more than once? Or at least will such an incentive be introduced in the future? I like the new titles but a pre-existing issue is that once you've achieved a certain rank and got the associated title there isn't any particular reason to push for that rank again.

    It's something we talk about from time to time. 1st place has a good motivator to try to get it again as you can prevent others from getting it. Which has some value to some types of players.

    We have some ideas of other things we can do. However, I think it's going to be quite a while before we have time to put more thought into it.

    Ben Phongluangtham
    Game Designer
    Reddit: ANET_BenP
    Twitch: AnetBenP

  • Doctor.1905Doctor.1905 Member ✭✭

    I wanna be a princess!

  • Chilli.2976Chilli.2976 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Can we include Pepega of the Arena?

  • Ziggityzog.7389Ziggityzog.7389 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Eh not into something that will just be hard to get due to duo wintrading. Wintrade wars season 13 wont be worth much again. Least when it was team if I went in solo (most of the time) I didnt have to worry about someone on my team throwing the game.

  • Sampson.2403Sampson.2403 Member ✭✭✭

    @Doctor.1905 said:
    I wanna be a princess!

    I like playing dress up too

  • yanniell.1236yanniell.1236 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019

    If you duo queued and got in the title range, all the titles (1 to 250) should be Couple of the Arena for both the players.

  • Balsa.3951Balsa.3951 Member ✭✭✭

    Ahh not sure they sound not like fighter more like the people who watch the fights and sipping their tea

    God and demigod is strong

    The rest is Like the British Yellow Pages

  • Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zexanima.7851 said:
    Need to add the title of "Serf of the Arena" for the absolute lowest ranked person, that way I get a title.

    they probably won't because people would try to be lowest ranked. also, try to get less than 50 rating. that is the real challenge (without decay)

  • mrauls.6519mrauls.6519 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

    @Meteor.3720 said:
    @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 Will there be any incentive to get a title more than once? Or at least will such an incentive be introduced in the future? I like the new titles but a pre-existing issue is that once you've achieved a certain rank and got the associated title there isn't any particular reason to push for that rank again.

    It's something we talk about from time to time. 1st place has a good motivator to try to get it again as you can prevent others from getting it. Which has some value to some types of players.

    We have some ideas of other things we can do. However, I think it's going to be quite a while before we have time to put more thought into it.

    Make it work like exponents... if you have gotten top 250 twice... x2 next to title

    Twitch | YouTube

    Dragonhunter main | Aspiring Herald

  • mrauls.6519mrauls.6519 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2019

    Both happy & sad about new titles. Happy, because I like the theme. Sad, because now I have to grind for top titles again.

    Hopefully I can escape the MMR demons!

    Twitch | YouTube

    Dragonhunter main | Aspiring Herald

  • meowmeow.9125meowmeow.9125 Member ✭✭
    edited April 10, 2019

    What are these miserable supplements "... of the Arena"?
    Okay, leave the medieval titles aside, it's smth already, but there are easy ways to make titles not just distinctive for just PvP but at the same time make them enjoyable and so being kind of worthy for the efforts. I think most of players in top-250 are for quite a while playing in the same leagues and wont improve or regress much so just after one season with your system these new titles will become out of dated. Not telling they are just dull and not worthing it now.

    Even such easy thing as just adding its own unique epithet for each individual number in the top 250 can improve the situation.
    The Gloomy princess for number 7, the Stinking baron for the 66th, the Azure king for 3, the Dame of slaughter for 150, and etc. and etc.
    And this will be funny, this will be more interactive. Not that it will take you a symposium of creators, one part-time student with a drop of humor for just one night could be enough.

    I just hope that the last point of your "Own philosophy" - "strive for the fun", - was not just another piece of kitten. As many things you do and say, dear anet, seems to be out-of-stream.

  • Ithilwen.1529Ithilwen.1529 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Sweet Titles... well chosen. Unfortunately, I'll probably not be able to earn one.

    Mesmerizing Girl

  • OutOfOrder.3719OutOfOrder.3719 Member ✭✭✭

    I sure hope the match making system is updated for less volatile placements for fairer matches to go alongside these new PvP titles.

  • Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Perhaps get rid of the leaderboard and assign those titles to those who reach a certain rating instead

  • Rodzynald.5897Rodzynald.5897 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2019

    As long as there are so many cases of wintrading, and all those weird unpunished shenanigans between players like "afk after losing mid" then those titles are not too appealing to me.

    EDIT:
    Actually, wouldn't it be better to give such titles in 2v2 setting instead for DUO or SOLO play in a FIVE VERSUS FIVE setting? Keep it consistent.

    Casual friendly and quality pvp - these two do not work well together.

  • If you already have the old Top 25 title will you unlock the new one automatically or do you need to earn it again in the new seasons?

  • witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Keksmuffin.1450 said:
    If you already have the old Top 25 title will you unlock the new one automatically or do you need to earn it again in the new seasons?

    Obviously you'll have to earn it again.

  • Ziggityzog.7389Ziggityzog.7389 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Let the massive relentless wintrading wars begin next season! When a shiny object is flashed in front of basement trolls then they tend to ramp up the "afks" and "random fighting" while on alt accounts.

    Yawwwnnnn. Can we get gw3 with no circlequest since gw2 is ruined by bad operation choices? Or hell gw1 remastered.

  • maxwelgm.4315maxwelgm.4315 Member ✭✭✭

    I don't want to hijack the thread talking about how we could use different combat modes instead, so just gonna say it's nice to have more titles to look forward to (at least the ones past ranking X - X being the amount of "fixed" places that season).

  • Marxx.5021Marxx.5021 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:
    Hey folks!

    After the recent vote we had, and looking through the suggestions, we've decided to go with the nobility theme, but replace "of PvP" with "of the Arena."

    1st: God/Goddess of the Arena
    2nd: Demigod/Demigoddess of the Arena
    3rd: King/Queen of the Arena
    4th-10th: Prince/Princess of the Arena
    11th–25th: Duke/Duchess of the Arena
    26th-100th: Baron/Baroness of the Arena
    101st–250th: Knight/Dame of the Arena

    The current plan is to have this in place for season 17.

    If you earned the current titles, they will not go away.

    Thanks!

    Strange humor. PvP is dying slow and painful but thanks for new titles ...

  • kodesh.2851kodesh.2851 Member ✭✭

    Not a fan of the new titles, but I only play for the sake of the gameplay anyway so whatever.

  • Reirli.3817Reirli.3817 Member ✭✭

    @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

    @Meteor.3720 said:
    @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 Will there be any incentive to get a title more than once? Or at least will such an incentive be introduced in the future? I like the new titles but a pre-existing issue is that once you've achieved a certain rank and got the associated title there isn't any particular reason to push for that rank again.

    It's something we talk about from time to time. 1st place has a good motivator to try to get it again as you can prevent others from getting it. Which has some value to some types of players.

    We have some ideas of other things we can do. However, I think it's going to be quite a while before we have time to put more thought into it.

    it's about time to implement some "colored titles" maybe based on the amount of times we've obtained that title, our title changes color : v

  • Reirli.3817Reirli.3817 Member ✭✭

    it would also be nice to see anet implement armor skins for the top leaderboard, just another incentive for players to battle for the titles

  • Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Keksmuffin.1450 said:
    If you already have the old Top 25 title will you unlock the new one automatically or do you need to earn it again in the new seasons?

    Ofc not. That's exactly why they are changing the titles. People that have a title already have nothing to go for anymore.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.