Gw2 F2p trailer

@"zealex.9410" said:

I really like the animation for this trailer it gives an almost claymation feel to it in the first half. My cuteness meter just busted the moment I saw the Asura character. I love in the end how his torch just comes on like a little flash light and he shouts. XD

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think its a bad CGI but i also doubt its a CGI that would bring in a whole lot of new players,no offense i do appreciate you trying something else to bring in more people and i think a proper CGI trailer is something we could definetely use. When a CGI is done right,it Can get me interested as ive had with ESO and many other games where it's done so well you just wanna play it yourself or as when watching the Death Stranding trailer,just to know wth is going on.

@"sigur.9453" said:Could have been a trailer/ad for their now not published mobile game, and since it was finished they just used it for not wasting money? Esthetically, it looks like an add for "super fabtasybase builder 6" and not worthy for an AAA mmo. But well, it's something at least.

Certainly gives me a mobile games vibe

@Mike Silbowitz.1827 said:

@"Blaeys.3102" said:The 11 million strong ad works - it reflects your brand and shows how tightly the game is tied to its community. This is the direction you want to continue to take - emphasizing that GW2 really knows what the "massively multiplayer" in MMO should really mean.

The Black Citadel tourism ad - not as much. It feels like it could be about any MMO - and quite frankly, the locations you "brag" about in the ad don't really add any enticing flavor or content to the game.

Your brand differentiator - the thing that sets you apart from your competitors - is how well the game brings 100+ strangers together on a map to face down a foe. People can play hundreds of thousands of single player games. There are tons of coop games (and other MMOs that are more focused on group content) that bring together small groups (2-10 players) to face a challenge. GW2 shines in the large open world (in both PVE and WVW) where there are 100 or more other players - and I cant think of any other game (including other MMOs) that can rival you there.

Center your marketing around that message (which you do very well in the 11 million strong ad) and you have something worth the effort.

Thank you. A reward for your feedback:

Please, please add "Luke" into the game with that voice line somewhere. I love him so much already! Brightened my DAY!

I think Blizzard stole GW 2 shtick with the artsy drawn animation and now they have several like this one

Also i have seen NCSOFT promote other games with sponsoring MMO Streamers and Youtubers, it will be a good idea to snatch some of them before Classic or 8.2 drop since most WoW people got really bored of the current expansion. If i remember correctly last year TheLazyPeon boosted the population with this
after the Bless online fail.

• ArenaNet Staff

@castlemanic.3198 said:I really like the ads. I've generally cringed at live action advertisements for video games, but those weren't trying to create a live action representation of the game and the end result is amazing for that. the tourism ads are an interesting take, but I feel like they may have been too fast paced to really get anything out of them, though I understand that the intention for them is probably youtube advertising which makes sense. the first ad from the OP is really well done, i'm glad we're getting more CG stuff. It does make me wish that the path of fire trailer was CG as well.

Overall, I approve of these advertisements, I think that there'll be a lot of good coming out of these ads and hopefully we'll see new people checking out the game soon.

Thank you :-)

• ArenaNet Staff

@Absconditus.6804 said:

@"Blaeys.3102" said:The 11 million strong ad works - it reflects your brand and shows how tightly the game is tied to its community. This is the direction you want to continue to take - emphasizing that GW2 really knows what the "massively multiplayer" in MMO should really mean.

The Black Citadel tourism ad - not as much. It feels like it could be about any MMO - and quite frankly, the locations you "brag" about in the ad don't really add any enticing flavor or content to the game.

Your brand differentiator - the thing that sets you apart from your competitors - is how well the game brings 100+ strangers together on a map to face down a foe. People can play hundreds of thousands of single player games. There are tons of coop games (and other MMOs that are more focused on group content) that bring together small groups (2-10 players) to face a challenge. GW2 shines in the large open world (in both PVE and WVW) where there are 100 or more other players - and I cant think of any other game (including other MMOs) that can rival you there.

Center your marketing around that message (which you do very well in the 11 million strong ad) and you have something worth the effort.

Thank you. A reward for your feedback:

Please, please add "Luke" into the game with that voice line somewhere. I love him so much already! Brightened my DAY!

Speaking with the Dev team now ;-P

@Cat Warrior.9240 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:and now i see a weapon not in the game or not displayed in-game correctly.....want it tho....

Are you referring to the golden sword the main character is wielding? If yes, then you get that (sword, greatsword? I can't tell exactly) from having a toon which is 5 years for their birthday gift.

It's this sword: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Luminous_Saber (for those who don't know what Cat Warrior is talking about).

however, she is using it two handed, but you can see it stored on her belt where a one handed sword normally would be, which is why it's slightly confusing

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:and now i see a weapon not in the game or not displayed in-game correctly.....want it tho....

Are you referring to the golden sword the main character is wielding? If yes, then you get that (sword, greatsword? I can't tell exactly) from having a toon which is 5 years for their birthday gift.

It's this sword:
(for those who don't know what Cat Warrior is talking about).

however, she is using it two handed, but you can see it stored on her belt where a one handed sword normally would be, which is why it's slightly confusing

oh, i see more than just a sword.lnYMQlF.png

@sorudo.9054 said:oh, i see more than just a sword.'image'

I was specifically talking about the sword that Cat Warrior was discussing, which is used by the central black woman in the trailer.

with regards to the weapons on screen there, there's the luminous arc (longbow) skin, what looks like overtly glowing glyphic and peacemaker weapon skins, the luminous ward (shield) skin held by one dude, what i'm guessing is the luminous repeater (shortbow) held by that person on the right with the other yellow glowing bow.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:and now i see a weapon not in the game or not displayed in-game correctly.....want it tho....

It's this sword:

oh, i see more than just a sword.
lnYMQlF.png

I see Yoda :lol:.

@"zealex.9410" said:

Zealex, thanks for posting this and kicking off the great discussion which ensued. Out of all the videos shown here, this first one is my personal favorite. Players helping players, a heroine standing up against the monster and then finding she has a legion at her side - those touched something in me and would have drawn me to check out GW2 if I wasn't already playing it. The "Everyone's Been Summoned" videos were funny and I liked them, especially how they echoed the theme of players coming together to fight the baddies. The big PVE and WvW zergs are one of the things I really enjoy about the game. The Tourism videos did not grab me as much. On their own they wouldn't have pulled me toward the game. If they are part of a larger campaign though, one that gives them some context, they might work well.

@"zealex.9410" said:

for some reason it reminds me of Guild Wars Prophecies intro cinematic ¯_(ツ)_/¯

and... oh jesus!!! so much effort into the main female toon and that dragonbut those additional models, they look plaster toys... should have just went with in-game graphics from the start, which looks better

and all those neon lighted weapons, should change all of them to the different legendary weapons instead

@"sorudo.9054" said:oh, i see more than just a sword.lnYMQlF.png

@"sorudo.9054" said:

This is a good review that I watched some months ago. Although when I want to introduce GW2 to someone I usually use the following one:

There are too many flashy effects for my tastes, but it shows a bit of the community and the dynamic gameplay, which are the best selling points for me. The other is ArenaNet itself, the best developer/publisher I found so far, by far. But unfortunately this cannot be shown with a short video.

It depends on the target: if they are ppl who already play MMOs, there's no need to show fake CG (although I know it's the trend. Take the trailers of Revelation Online: cool they are cool, like a movie. But the game is a completely different "movie"). I would show something different, because GW2 IS different. If I didn't know GW2, I don't think I would search for more videos on youtube after watching the very first video posted on this thread. It's quite generic, very colourful weapons, idk. Not bad, but common.

On the other hand, for very casual players, that maybe abandoned MMOs years ago, the short videos might be a good idea. But... they have no content. Why someone should be interested in GW2 after watching 5 seconds of Ascalon? They are good videos for us probably, but for completely strangers... idk.I would have probably used some very short dialogue/pun between NPCs. Take 2 random Asura NPCs (or Sylvari) and show a couple of lines. It would still be short (<15 seconds) and it would offer something that other boring MMOs heavily text-based don't have: humor, and a live world.

sorry Anet, but I certainly enjoyed this fan made one more, and more persuasive

should take this and replace some of the scenes with more impact onesi.e.

• a slowly zoomed out to aerial view of massive zerg fights in WvW
  • 5 men manned cannons firing at Zhaitan simultaneously
  • in player face Kalk roaring at the player party
  • aquatic ruins boss fight, or squad fight blowing up Rhendak
  • giant multi boss zerg fights like Serpent Ire

are just some of the updates that can make the video more impactful and up to date

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:and now i see a weapon not in the game or not displayed in-game correctly.....want it tho....

It's this sword:

oh, i see more than just a sword.
lnYMQlF.png

Man, it is like a Jedi Mardi Gras!

Not a good look for the game!

@crepuscular.9047 said:oh... we have to have the part 'getting owned by a bunny' somewhere in the trailer :lol:

Get the champion jackalope from jahai bluffs to make an appearance because dear god the huge shift from the curious bunny chase to getting my butt handed to me when it suddenly turned into a champion and literally kicked me off of the cliff. So we DO have the bunny of death actually in game.