Which old maps would you like to see “expand” or update?

@wetwillyhip.7254 said:so they stay relevant and motivating.(only reason to replay them is to grind for ascended HoT stat trinkets).

Er...that IS how they stay relevant and motivating? Try gearing up your character with full ascended trinkets with non-core stat combos without using LS S3. Depending on what stat combinations you want to use, that feat ranges from difficult to impossible.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@wetwillyhip.7254 said:so they stay relevant and motivating.(only reason to replay them is to grind for ascended HoT stat trinkets).

Er...that IS how they stay relevant and motivating? Try gearing up your character with full ascended trinkets with non-core stat combos without using LS S3. Depending on what stat combinations you want to use, that feat ranges from difficult to impossible.

Oh I have many times, with VIPER gear. Thats the main reason why I return to them. I know that's how they stay relevant but that's the ONLY reason.

Sorry I think I didn't explain specifically what I was looking for... here you go..I think it would be nice to get an update to some of the less played farmed maps that feel dry and no fun to grind like Draonic Mons, Siren's Landing, and Ember Bay. They are fun the first time and all but they're not as fun to return to farm currencies like Bitterfrost Frontier. BF is a prime example of what I'd like to see in the others; you have many great rewards in the iced chests, winterberries are easy and quick to acquire, and the map-wide storm META with all the bosses is fun and unique!

However, I am glad they recently boosted the drop rate of blood rubies in Bloodstone Fen! Thank god!

3 Areas for me:-Right of mount maelstrom, the coast, sea and southern mountain chains

-Left/Under Rata Sum, coast and the ruins/forest between hot maps and Rata sum even that massive cube we only saw partially on tangled depths map. More novan ruins? Rata novus is in fact under rata novus not the whole city at all.

-North of lake doric/harathi hinterlands, possibly giant stone walls and centaur strongholds. (Cf harathi hinterland loading screen)

@"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:I am not sure what OP means with "old"? Areas from GW1? Or original areas from GW2? I answer based on this last one.

There are two things I would love to see:

• An extension of the snowy areas (Far Shiverpeaks), up to reaching the Hall of Monument location.
  • An opening of the area in the north region of Kryta called Woodland Cascades. If you look at map, you can see a little 80 written, what tends to prove that this area is probably ready for use.

:)

That 80 you see there is the location of the raid, Bastion of the Penitent. Wing 4 in game-terms. It's not an Open World map.

I'm quite skeptical about the idea of adding new content to old maps, since in the past I think the result of that has often been negative (I'm thinking particularly of Kessex Hills, the Iron Marches, and Lion's Arch). I like the idea of geographically expanding some maps though - mostly because maps like Fields of Ruin and the PoF maps feel too square/rectangular, and a little expansion could make them feel more natural.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@BlueJin.4127 said:Before old maps, I would like to see Anet reduce enemy aggro range of all PoF maps (including LWS4) from 900 to 600 like the rest of the game. This alone would make me actually play in PoF maps. Currently, the aggro range is so infuriatingly annoying I just don‘t do PoF stuff except when I have no choice (such as needing to upgrade mounts, which can only be done in PoF maps).

Personally I like it when I'm walking past an ennemy and they don't just stand there looking at me. The desert is huge, so it kind of makes sense to have an increased aggro range because you have so mutch more room to avoid them (and mounts that help you get past quicker).

I agree - the longer aggro range is clearly a deliberate piece of design, and I think the PoF maps are much better off that way. I don't think it's just to account for mounts and the extra space, as well. Part of the gameplay in PoF maps is avoiding being overrun by enemies (or alternatively, fighting to survive when you do get overwhelmed), and the longer aggro range - along with the enemy patrols and the fact that some enemies will kite you/move around a lot - is there to ensure that that isn't too easy.

I want the core Path of Fire maps to receive Heart of Thorns style metas. Metas that are monetarily rewarding and carefully crafted to split the entire map's population up across multiple parts of the map. Like how Verdant Brink not only has tons of outposts but there are 5 Boss Fights across the canopy. Or how AB has 4 different sections of the Octovine that all have unique mechanics. Same with Tangled Depths. And how Dragon's Stand is three lanes, and even the one final boss everyone converges on takes place in a huuuuuuge arena that requires spreading out heavily across 8 platforms.

They're fun. Well designed. And they're built in a way that makes each individual feel like they are contributing something valuable and not just a big nonsense zerg of people throwing attacks at a boss. Serpent's Ire final boss encounter is the worst of these. Death Branded Shatterer and Thunderhead Keep are huge blobs as well.

It sounds like they won't be 100% always adding a new map each Living World update anymore, and might simply add content or expand on old maps. I hope these maps get this kind of attention because I feel like I've barely spent any time in Core Path of Fire and I don't think I can ever look at these maps and the time spent there the way I can with the HoT maps.

@BlueJin.4127 said:Before old maps, I would like to see Anet reduce enemy aggro range of all PoF maps (including LWS4) from 900 to 600 like the rest of the game. This alone would make me actually play in PoF maps. Currently, the aggro range is so infuriatingly annoying I just don‘t do PoF stuff except when I have no choice (such as needing to upgrade mounts, which can only be done in PoF maps).

the Vet Karkas at Southsun is worse, i often get chased across like a third of the map

with PoF maps getting so big, I would like to see Anet doing map merges to increase the immersion of the maps

like a single massive map for Ascalon zones, with Black citedal integrated into itand slowly work towards like othe MMOs where there is no clear boundaries (loading screen) that seperate the zone, you can run all the way from Divinity's Reach to Orr

the only exceptions would be where travelling across sea like from Kryta to Elona

Some of the living story season 3 maps are a little small and are located in an area with potential around them. The only issue is that they are locked behind those episodes.Possible ways they could try and do it with bitterfrost as as exampleThey could tie the episodes together, so when you unlock EpisodeX that also uses bitterfrost you also get A Crack in the Ice. But this would mean they lose out on a bunch of potential LS3 sales.They could have the new episode allow you access to the area but lock you out of A Crack in the Ice content in some way by not allowing you to do the hearts, achievements, use the vendors, or collect winterberries unless you have the older episode unlocked. Which might encourage people to buy the episode but might also make people angry at seeing things they can't complete.

For core Tyria maps, the old Ascalon maps are often the most barren from my experience. I’ve done several map completions without hardly ever seeing another player. Also, reducing the total number of hearts for all core Tyrian maps would be great for world completion.

For HoT, I’d like to see Anet change all main day/outpost event chains for VB, AB, and TD into solo events. People rarely do these, so it’s hard to find groups to complete them.

I'd recommend to cut the first half of and start a new thread (or look for an existing one). You're going quite of topic there. I'll only just say i strongly disagree, given how weak everything in PoF is.

I'd personally like to see bigger event chains added to old maps. Give so be maps a back and forth mechanic between allies and enemies.With meaningful rewards for taking and defending sites.

For example, charr and ascalonian ghosts competing over control in old ascalon.Whoever controls the areas, has access to certain areas, additional events, and gathering resources/vendors

Revisiting existing maps and updating them with new content is tricky in this game. Every area is set up to represent the time you first visit it when you follow the story journal. It's as if they are frozen in a time capsule, if you will. That's why, for example, there are no Risen in Queensdale even after you reach Orr in your story.

As pointed out earlier, Living World Season 1 did just that, anyway, as practically all the content happened in the already existing maps. Current events have been doing the same for a while now. If you happen to be a new player and you don't pay attention to the achievement tab you can get really confused trying to differentiate between your intended content for your character's progression and something that relates to the story from well beyond and expansion or two. Granted, these events are few and sufficiently far between, but if you do a whole episode of Living World Season 5 in, say, Kessex Hills, the map will change in a major way and might end up not serving the purpose of the original story any more.

Anyone remembers the beautiful lake in the aforementioned map from before that ugly tower ruined the area in Season 1? Or old Lion's Arch, that you only see in the early story instances now, and if you are new, you might be confused as hell wondering why it looks so different now?

So, I'm hesitant to say that setting up new living world stories in existing maps is a good idea.

All that being said:

• I think Claw Island can be updated quite easily, and in a major way too. You only visit it twice and it's instanced so maybe they can set up a persistent map there.
  • Southsun Cove was Anet's first foray into the Living World. I'm still holding a little hope to see Season 1 return in some form, but if not, I think that island is ripe for a good smack in the face. As far as I'm concerned, right now it's only good for Karka farming and that one boss event...
  • Fields of Ruin. It's remote, you barely see it. I don't even remember if you visit it during the story. Might be nice to get an actual incentive to go there, other than map completion. (The rift stabilizer thingy started there years ago... whatever happened with that?)
  • You can always go underground and out of bounds of any map without disrupting the flow of the original content.

@"MikeG.6389" said:Revisiting existing maps and updating them with new content is tricky in this game. Every area is set up to represent the time you first visit it when you follow the story journal. It's as if they are frozen in a time capsule, if you will. That's why, for example, there are no Risen in Queensdale even after you reach Orr in your story.

As pointed out earlier, Living World Season 1 did just that, anyway, as practically all the content happened in the already existing maps. Current events have been doing the same for a while now. If you happen to be a new player and you don't pay attention to the achievement tab you can get really confused trying to differentiate between your intended content for your character's progression and something that relates to the story from well beyond and expansion or two. Granted, these events are few and sufficiently far between, but if you do a whole episode of Living World Season 5 in, say, Kessex Hills, the map will change in a major way and might end up not serving the purpose of the original story any more.

Anyone remembers the beautiful lake in the aforementioned map from before that ugly tower ruined the area in Season 1? Or old Lion's Arch, that you only see in the early story instances now, and if you are new, you might be confused as hell wondering why it looks so different now?

So, I'm hesitant to say that setting up new living world stories in existing maps is a good idea.

All that being said:

• I think Claw Island can be updated quite easily, and in a major way too. You only visit it twice and it's instanced so maybe they can set up a persistent map there.
  • Southsun Cove was Anet's first foray into the Living World. I'm still holding a little hope to see Season 1 return in some form, but if not, I think that island is ripe for a good smack in the face. As far as I'm concerned, right now it's only good for Karka farming and that one boss event...
  • Fields of Ruin. It's remote, you barely see it. I don't even remember if you visit it during the story. Might be nice to get an actual incentive to go there, other than map completion. (The rift stabilizer thingy started there years ago... whatever happened with that?)
  • You can always go underground and out of bounds of any map without disrupting the flow of the original content.

Ooo claw island would be a decent one. Honestly it would be a decent place for a guild hall or "player house"

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:Ooo claw island would be a decent one. Honestly it would be a decent place for a guild hall or "player house"

I didn't think of it as a guild hall, but by the Gods, that's a great idea! If Anet ever wants to put guild halls back on their agenda, this should be one of the ideas they consider. And, while we are at it - although kinda off topic at this point - how about racially themed guild halls in core Tyria?

@Urud.4925 said:Just the area around Claw Island, that remains blurred even if after the personal story. There's no way to fully discover it :/Everything else is fine for me :)

I've been asking for Claw Island and the surrounding islands to become an open map for awhile. They could do events around pirate attacks, a wrecked Inquest ship spilling animals they were trying to weaponize like pocket raptors, karka, choya, etc. As a front line area for LA they could make it a hub of sorts for current events.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:I'd recommend to cut the first half of and start a new thread (or look for an existing one). You're going quite of topic there. I'll only just say i strongly disagree, given how weak everything in PoF is.

It is not off-topic, at all. There is more to updating existing maps than just adding new stuff. Editing existing things is a part of that and it happens all the time in games. A minor tweak here and there can make a world of difference even without anything new added.

LWS1 maps - An increasing number of players never experienced LWS1 and thus have no clue what a lot of the map features or enemies are or why we should care about them. I remember seeing Toxic Alliance enemies and events in the middle of maps and having no idea what they were or why they were randomly in random areas of random maps. I would remove the enemies but keep landmarks like the Tower of Nightmares and Twisted Marionette.

LWS2 Areas - Why are Forts Salma and Concordia completely destroyed in the open map? First time I went to Concordia for the core Pact mission I was completely confused what was going on - "We're building and protecting a fort that is completely destroyed already and then after we defend and "build" it in the story, it's already back to destroyed by mysterious vines out of nowhere?!?!?" was my first thought seeing the fort. Same for Fort Salma when I went into Kessex Hills for the first time. These just fit very awkwardly into the environment to me and I would just make these destroyed in the instances they're in and OK in the open world.

@"Poormany.4507" said:LWS1 maps - An increasing number of players never experienced LWS1 and thus have no clue what a lot of the map features or enemies are or why we should care about them. I remember seeing Toxic Alliance enemies and events in the middle of maps and having no idea what they were or why they were randomly in random areas of random maps. I would remove the enemies but keep landmarks like the Tower of Nightmares and Twisted Marionette.

LWS2 Areas - Why are Forts Salma and Concordia completely destroyed in the open map? First time I went to Concordia for the core Pact mission I was completely confused what was going on - "We're building and protecting a fort that is completely destroyed already and then after we defend and "build" it in the story, it's already back to destroyed by mysterious vines out of nowhere?!?!?" was my first thought seeing the fort. Same for Fort Salma when I went into Kessex Hills for the first time. These just fit very awkwardly into the environment to me and I would just make these destroyed in the instances they're in and OK in the open world.

My guess is that they were trying things that makes the game more like an RPG than an MMO, in that in an offline RPG you can, and most likely will, encounter permanent changes to the game world. Season 1, having all been temporary content, makes me think they had radical ideas in this direction. If this was, indeed, the intent, I commend them for trying, but it doesn't really work on the persistent maps of an MMO where players with highly varied degree of story completion can gather and new players will most likely feel alienated because they missed out on content that now they have no chance of catching up on. I'm glad that they moved to replayable episodes with season 2 and, ultimately, moved away from placing content in existing maps.Maps like Dry Top and The Silverwastes, which they revealed incrementally over several releases in Season 2, are a good idea, I think.