Engineer Inventions Trait line

Ghos.1326

Hello, I am writing this not as a rant, but as some constructive feedback regarding a traitline for the Engineer profession: Inventions.As the wiki lists, the Inventions trait line is a line focused on healing and defensive tactics, as well as improving turrets. While I appreciate the very very good synergy with Protection and the Anti-Corrosion Plating trait, it's....well really one of the only synergies in the entire trait line. Lets take a look at some examples.

The minor trait Energy Amplifier gives the player increase healing power while under the effects of Regeneration. IMO a pretty solid minor trait, the extra small healing can go a long way for self sustain. The problem is this: nowhere in the trait line do you actually receive Regeneration. It's like having the key to a safe that just doesn't exist.Currently for the turrets, there is not much in terms of enhancing them save one trait: Experimental turrets. While this looks good at first sight, the only really good use out of it is the Protection granted from having the Thumper turret active on the field (ironically the only turret with defense high enough to survive long enough to get use out of it as well). The rest are kind of meh, since, as stated just previously, the other turrets die pretty quickly.

While I see some great use in things like Automated Medical Response (that full recharge on heal when brought down to low health can save the leather on your rear) and Auto-Defense Bomb Dispenser (blinding field to prevent bursts and other damage on you after a successful CC against you), there are many traits, both minor and major, that need a bit more synergy with each other in general. I have a few ideas that I think would make this trait line really nice to take for defensive purposes. I will list them in a "patch notes" style writing to better reflect my thoughts, with some brief explanations as well.

Over Shield - CURRENTLY: Shield skills grant protection on use, and have decreased cooldown.NEW: Critical hits you receive grant Protection, and Protection gains increased damage reduction. Shield skills additionally have decreased cooldown.Protection gained on crit lasts 3 seconds, cooldown of either 10s or 15s, Shield skills CD can stay at 20% or increase to 30% to make up for the fact that they no longer give you Protection on use. I think this will, in general, provide more reliable sources of Protection, and can really help boost the defensive role of the trait line. Also, it won't be forcing you to take a Shield to use this skill or have viability with this skill, though taking the Shield would just make it that much better as well.EDIT: I did some testing with the current Over Shield, and I confirmed that the Protection gained from the trait on skill use happens right after the Shield skills are used. This invalidates the Protection gained in general, as the Protection lasts 3s, and the Shield 5 skill as an example lasts 2s. So you get 1s of Protection use after your are blocking with the Shield 5. IMO, it's pretty much a waste of a boon since you can't use it for 2/3 of its uptime.With this change, these nerds would need to occur for balance purposes.Hard Light Arena: This would need a nerf in its uptime, and its Protection uptime. The protection uptime would need to be lowered to 1 second per pulse, being active for 5 seconds. 2-3s of added uptime would occur while over 50% heat. This would need to happen so that the Engineer wouldn't have ridiculous amounts of Protection uptime while specced to the Holosmith elite specialization, and to tone down the condition removal aspect for the spec, as it already has access to high amounts of damage/CC naturally.

Bulwark Gyro: Yes, I said it. Bulwark Gyro would also need to be toned down if these changes were to occur. The combination of a high amount of barrier uptime with decent Protection uptime would make the Engineer using the Scrapper trait line really hard to kill, most likely harder than it is to kill now. initial pulse barrier for using the skill would need to be cut back to around 1.5-1.8k, and pulse barrier over the next 5 seconds would need to be cut back to around 500-700 per pulse.

Reconstruction Enclosure - CURRENTLY: Grant Protection to nearby allies when you use a healing skill.NEW: Grant Protection and Regeneration to nearby allies when using a healing skill.Regeneration can be granted that lasts for 10s or more. This would boost the self sustain through healing that this trait line is supposed to be all about, while also having the synergy with Amplified Energy for increased healing output while Regen is up. In the past, this trait granted Regeneration when using a healing skill, I am unsure why it was omitted to begin with.

Soothing Detonation - CURRENTLY: Blast finishers grant a little healing in an area.NEW: Soothing Finale - Performing combo finishers of any type in a field grant a little healing and Regeneration in an area.This would play a big part in a support role focusing on providing effects from combo finishers, as well as providing healing from activating those finishers. A good all-purpose trait for supportive roles.

Anti-Corrosion Plating - CURRENTLY: When you grant Protection to an ally, cleanse a condition from them.NEW: When you grant Protection to an ally, cleanse a condition from them. Initially deploying a turret now also grants Protection to allies in an area.Giving Protection to yourself and allies when initially deploying a turret would not only make taking turrets in general more meaningful to take, but also help in bringing back the (yep, you guessed it) turret Engineer. Would be good for maximizing the protection. The Protection could last 2s, no ICD as this would only proc upon activation of a turret, so the "cooldown" would be tied into the cooldowns of the turrets themselves.

Bunker Down - The only thing I would change about this trait, is one of two things: Either keep the ICD the same, but increase the healing by 200, or lower the ICD by 1 second, but keep the healing the same.

I think these suggestions would really bring the Inventions trait line into a more defensive role, as it's supposed to be according to the GW2 wiki. What do you guys/gals think?

EDIT: Something interesting I thought of for Cleansing Synergy.Cleansing Synergy - CURRENT: Trigger a cleansing pulse when you use a heal skill. The cleansing pulse cures 1 condition to 5 targets in a radius of 240.NEW: Trigger a rejuvenating pulse when curing a condition, curing an extra condition and providing healing.This pulse can cure, as stated, an extra condition, and heal 5 targets for around 1100, on a 10s ICD. This could work synergetically with Anticorrosion Plating, adding to the "defense" of the Engineer by providing a flat burst heal when removing conditions, or work in tandum with Bunker Down, with both heals proccing every so often. Either this, or it could provide a flat healing over time, much like Ranger's Rugged Growth trait, that heals for a small flat amount over time while they have Protection on them combined with other heals. This could last 3-5s, and heal for a small flat 200-220 per second.

@"Ghos.1326" said:Over Shield - CURRENTLY: Shield skills grant protection on use, and have decreased cooldown.NEW: Critical hits you receive grant Protection, and Protection gains increased damage reduction. Shield skills additionally have decreased cooldown.Protection gained on crit lasts 3 seconds, cooldown of either 10s or 15s, Shield skills CD can stay at 20% or increase to 30% to make up for the fact that they no longer give you Protection on use. I think this will, in general, provide more reliable sources of Protection, and can really help boost the defensive role of the trait line. Also, it won't be forcing you to take a Shield to use this skill or have viability with this skill, though taking the Shield would just make it that much more better as well.

While this isn't a bad idea, it could make the protection holosmith build even more powerful in PvP, to the point of hard countering condition professions entirely.

Reconstruction Enclosure - CURRENTLY: Grant Protection to nearby allies when you use a healing skill.NEW: Grant Protection and Regeneration to nearby allies when using a healing skill.Regeneration can be granted that lasts for 10s or more. This would boost the self sustain through healing that this trait line is supposed to be all about, while also having the synergy with Amplified Energy for increased healing output while Regen is up. In the past, this trait granted Regeneration when using a healing skill, I am unsure why it was omitted to begin with.

Agreed. I remember back when Heal Resonator existed before it got replaced with Reconstruction Enclosure. It was a solid trait that allowed engineer to stack near permanent regeneration especially when using the Healing Turret and especially the Med Kit's toolbelt skill Bandage Self. I say 8 seconds of regeneration would be enough for this This would greatly improve support engineer builds that rely on the regeneration boon in order to improve their healing.

Soothing Detonation - CURRENTLY: Blast finishers grant a little healing in an area.NEW: Soothing Finale - Performing combo finishers of any type in a field grant a little healing in an area.This would play a big part in a support role focusing on providing effects from combo finishers, as well as providing healing from activating those finishers. A good all-purpose trait for supportive roles.

Sure, why not? If Tempest gets to heal when they grant auras to allies from using the staff, why can't engineer just apply as many combo finishers in a water field as possible to heal them?

Anti-Corrosion Plating - CURRENTLY: When you grant Protection to an ally, cleanse a condition from them.NEW: When you grant Protection to an ally, cleanse a condition from them. Initially deploying a turret now also grants Protection to allies in an area.Giving Protection to yourself and allies when initially deploying a turret would not only make taking turrets in general more meaningful to take, but also help in bringing back the (yep, you guessed it) turret Engineer. Would be good for maximizing the protection. The Protection could last 2s, no ICD as this would only proc upon activation of a turret, so the "cooldown" would be tied into the cooldowns of the turrets themselves.

The thing is, Healing Turret can already apply protection due to the trait Cleansing Synergy. I understand that you want the turrets to be better or at least to have a purpose in some builds, but even the trait that "improves" the turrets isn't all that great. And once again, the more you increase the protection application, the more powerful you will make the protection holosmith build in PvP.

Bunker Down - The only thing I would change about this trait, is one of two things: Either keep the ICD the same, but increase the healing by 200, or lower the ICD by 1 second, but keep the healing the same.

Just increasing the healing would be fine. It's already a mediocre trait, so why not increase it?

I think these suggestions would really bring the Inventions trait line into a more defensive role, as it's supposed to be according to the GW2 wiki. What do you guys/gals think?

Solid suggestions, though I do find some of the suggestions that involve protection a bit worrisome. Inventions is only used by support builds and like I mentioned the protection holosmith build. What I would like to see improved is the Medical Dispersion Field trait. It's one of the most, if not the most inconsistent traits in the game. Just look it up on the wiki and you'll see what I mean. It would be nice if the turrets got improved and if there could be more traits that grant regeneration like Heal Resonator did before it was replaced, but for now it's fine as it is.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@"Ghos.1326" said:Over Shield - CURRENTLY: Shield skills grant protection on use, and have decreased cooldown.NEW: Critical hits you receive grant Protection, and Protection gains increased damage reduction. Shield skills additionally have decreased cooldown.Protection gained on crit lasts 3 seconds, cooldown of either 10s or 15s, Shield skills CD can stay at 20% or increase to 30% to make up for the fact that they no longer give you Protection on use. I think this will, in general, provide more reliable sources of Protection, and can really help boost the defensive role of the trait line. Also, it won't be forcing you to take a Shield to use this skill or have viability with this skill, though taking the Shield would just make it that much more better as well.

While this isn't a bad idea, it could make the protection holosmith build even more powerful in PvP, to the point of hard countering condition professions entirely.

Agreed. I remember back when Heal Resonator existed before it got replaced with Reconstruction Enclosure. It was a solid trait that allowed engineer to stack near permanent regeneration especially when using the Healing Turret and especially the Med Kit's toolbelt skill Bandage Self. I say 8 seconds of regeneration would be enough for this This would greatly improve support engineer builds that rely on the regeneration boon in order to improve their healing.

Soothing Detonation - CURRENTLY: Blast finishers grant a little healing in an area.NEW: Soothing Finale - Performing combo finishers of any type in a field grant a little healing in an area.This would play a big part in a support role focusing on providing effects from combo finishers, as well as providing healing from activating those finishers. A good all-purpose trait for supportive roles.

Sure, why not? If Tempest gets to heal when they grant auras to allies from using the staff, why can't engineer just apply as many combo finishers in a water field as possible to heal them?

The thing is, Healing Turret can already apply protection due to the trait Cleansing Synergy. I understand that you want the turrets to be better or at least to have a purpose in some builds, but even the trait that "improves" the turrets isn't all that great. And once again, the more you increase the protection application, the more powerful you will make the protection holosmith build in PvP.

Just increasing the healing would be fine. It's already a mediocre trait, so why not increase it?

Solid suggestions, though I do find some of the suggestions that involve protection a bit worrisome. Inventions is only used by support builds and like I mentioned the protection holosmith build. What I would like to see improved is the Medical Dispersion Field trait. It's one of the most, if not the most inconsistent traits in the game. Just look it up on the wiki and you'll see what I mean. It would be nice if the turrets got improved and if there could be more traits that grant regeneration like Heal Resonator did before it was replaced, but for now it's fine as it is.

I think the Hard Light Arena, if these changes were to occur, should see a nerf, reducing the protection pulses by reducing the amount of time it's up and active. as it is now, hard light arena is 8s uptime normal, increasing to 12 with a larger area when over 50% heat. it's super strong in itself. Thanks for the feedback! =)

Your ideas have a solid Basis, however, IMO many of them are overpowered the way you suggested them.

Over Shield - CURRENTLY: Shield skills grant protection on use, and have decreased cooldown.NEW: Critical hits you receive grant Protection, and Protection gains increased damage reduction. Shield skills additionally have decreased cooldown.Protection gained on crit lasts 3 seconds, cooldown of either 10s or 15s, Shield skills CD can stay at 20% or increase to 30% to make up for the fact that they no longer give you Protection on use. I think this will, in general, provide more reliable sources of Protection, and can really help boost the defensive role of the trait line. Also, it won't be forcing you to take a Shield to use this skill or have viability with this skill, though taking the Shield would just make it that much better as well.

If you make the CD 15s and NO reduced CD for shield, then I would agree that it is balanced. You gain basically 4s of protection for free every 15s (taken some boon Duration into account), while in the old Version you had to use up your shield skills to gain the protection.

I would say Maximum of 3-5s of Regeneration. Many of our healing skills including their toolbelts already provide Regeneration, if 10s or more is provided, the healing of all our healing skills should be reduced by a few %.

Sure, but the healing should only be a LITTLE as you said, maybe 150-200ish with low scaling on Healing Power, as the engi can provide maaaany Combos.

Bunker Down can already be very strong with the right attributes. Lowering the ICD to 1s would almost double its effectiveness. You also have to take into account that engineer is a lot about stacking Little effects to gain a lot out of them. I think changing the healing by this much would make the trait way too strong.

@Prinzsecond.4863 said:Your ideas have a solid Basis, however, IMO many of them are overpowered the way you suggested them.

Over Shield - CURRENTLY: Shield skills grant protection on use, and have decreased cooldown.NEW: Critical hits you receive grant Protection, and Protection gains increased damage reduction. Shield skills additionally have decreased cooldown.Protection gained on crit lasts 3 seconds, cooldown of either 10s or 15s, Shield skills CD can stay at 20% or increase to 30% to make up for the fact that they no longer give you Protection on use. I think this will, in general, provide more reliable sources of Protection, and can really help boost the defensive role of the trait line. Also, it won't be forcing you to take a Shield to use this skill or have viability with this skill, though taking the Shield would just make it that much better as well.

If you make the CD 15s and NO reduced CD for shield, then I would agree that it is balanced. You gain basically 4s of protection for free every 15s (taken some boon Duration into account), while in the old Version you had to use up your shield skills to gain the protection.

I would say Maximum of 3-5s of Regeneration. Many of our healing skills including their toolbelts already provide Regeneration, if 10s or more is provided, the healing of all our healing skills should be reduced by a few %.

Sure, but the healing should only be a LITTLE as you said, maybe 150-200ish with low scaling on Healing Power, as the engi can provide maaaany Combos.

Bunker Down can already be very strong with the right attributes. Lowering the ICD to 1s would almost double its effectiveness. You also have to take into account that engineer is a lot about stacking Little effects to gain a lot out of them. I think changing the healing by this much would make the trait way too strong.

Hey thanks for the feedback!

My suggestion for a 3s Protection proc on critical hit with Over Shield is because as it works now, when you use shield skills, you gain the protection. However, with Shield 5, that's almost useless considering the Shield's block is active for most, if not all, of that protection uptime (or does the Protection proc after the Shield's effect? I don't use it enough to know completely XD). Hence the suggestion to lower Shield CD by 20-30% remaining intact, but taking away Shield's ability to proc Protection in exchange for gaining it when being critically hit. This way, lets say if you time it properly, you can pop off a Shield 5 to block attacks, then take a critical and have that Protection to keep you alive a little longer, at least long enough to retaliate in any meaningful way, or take a critical and proc Protection, wait that out (if possible) and then Shield 5 to stall long enough to possibly get your heal off and sustain the fight for a bit longer.

For Bunker Down, I would want the cooldown lowered by 1s, for example it's currently 3s ICD in pvp, I'd want to see it lowered to 2s ICD but keep the heal the same, or keep the ICD the same and raise the healing on it (for a more defensive/offensive alternative for maybe a dueling spec).

When I think about it more, I agree with keeping the Regeneration a little lower in uptime. Maybe Cleansing Synergy could grant small Regen procs when you're afflicted with conditions, or tie it to a GM trait. My whole reasoning, however, for high uptime of Regen, is to combat, or even slightly mimic, Warrior's Healing Signet, which grants a large 344 per second heal passively to the warrior. While having the Regen would only grant around 160-180 health per second, it'll be at least something to mitigate damage taken, albeit to a small extreme, giving the Engi a chance to act as a duelist without the necessity of taking 2 defensive trait lines and 1 support/condi removal trait line.

Yeah for Soothing Finale, I was thinking of keeping the heal values the same as they are now. I don't want to tweak the healing values on that at all with the above changes considered, as it would just overpower the Engineer way over the top.

I should mention the nerfs I think would be crucial if these said changes were to occur.

Hard Light Arena: This would need a nerf in its uptime, and its Protection uptime. The protection uptime would need to be lowered to 1 second per pulse, being active for 5 seconds. 2-3s of added uptime would occur while over 50% heat. This would need to happen so that the Engineer wouldn't have ridiculous amounts of Protection uptime while specced to the Holosmith elite specialization, and to tone down the condition removal aspect for the spec, as it already has access to high amounts of damage/CC naturally.

Bulwark Gyro: Yes, I said it. Bulwark Gyro would also need to be toned down if these changes were to occur. The combination of a high amount of barrier uptime with decent Protection uptime would make the Engineer using the Scrapper trait line really hard to kill, most likely harder than it is to kill now. initial pulse barrier for using the skill would need to be cut back to around 1.5-1.8k, and pulse barrier over the next 5 seconds would need to be cut back to around 500-700 per pulse.

I'll be editing this particular post as I go through the trait lines and see what else would need to be nerfed for better balance purposes.

@Ghos.1326 said:When I think about it more, I agree with keeping the Regeneration a little lower in uptime. Maybe Cleansing Synergy could grant small Regen procs when you're afflicted with conditions, or tie it to a GM trait. My whole reasoning, however, for high uptime of Regen, is to combat, or even slightly mimic, Warrior's Healing Signet, which grants a large 344 per second heal passively to the warrior. While having the Regen would only grant around 160-180 health per second, it'll be at least something to mitigate damage taken, albeit to a small extreme, giving the Engi a chance to act as a duelist without the necessity of taking 2 defensive trait lines and 1 support/condi removal trait line.

Yes that reasoning is understandable :) however, please Keep in mind that the regen from healing signet should not be taken as a stand-alone. It is tied to the healing skill. Activating Healing signet heals for a fairly low amount and the regen is stopped after the signet is activated (if I am not mistaken?). The regen of 344 would lead to 6880 healing per 20s, which is not too far from what Healing Turret (5040 + 1320 from blast) or Medic Gyro provide. And activating the signet for the 2500ish heal stops the regen for at least 16s, leading to an overal loss in HP gained over time.

• 4 weeks later...

I think they need to buff the other major adepts. Automated medical response has way too long of a cd to be viable. Auto defense bomb generater drops a smoke bomb which has limited use in combat. This pretty much forces you to take this trait and shield if you go through inventions.

Making AMR a shorter cooldown, or change it so that it cuts the recharge of your heal by 33% if you activate it below 25% health.

As for auto defense bomb generator, place a regular bomb and grant aegis and resistance for 2 seconds. Cooldown of 30 seconds.

@Ghos.1326 said:EDIT: Something interesting I thought of for Cleansing Synergy.Cleansing Synergy - CURRENT: Trigger a cleansing pulse when you use a heal skill. The cleansing pulse cures 1 condition to 5 targets in a radius of 240.NEW: Trigger a rejuvenating pulse when curing a condition, curing an extra condition and providing healing.

Cleansing is already ridiculous with Antitoxin Rune, I'd rather see the trait do something more interesting.

@Samug.6512 said:

@Ghos.1326 said:EDIT: Something interesting I thought of for Cleansing Synergy.Cleansing Synergy - CURRENT: Trigger a cleansing pulse when you use a heal skill. The cleansing pulse cures 1 condition to 5 targets in a radius of 240.NEW: Trigger a rejuvenating pulse when curing a condition, curing an extra condition and providing healing.

Cleansing is already ridiculous with Antitoxin Rune, I'd rather see the trait do something more interesting.

Yeah combine it with alchemy and you've got an insane healer.

@Samug.6512 said:

@"Ghos.1326" said:EDIT: Something interesting I thought of for Cleansing Synergy.Cleansing Synergy - CURRENT: Trigger a cleansing pulse when you use a heal skill. The cleansing pulse cures 1 condition to 5 targets in a radius of 240.NEW: Trigger a rejuvenating pulse when curing a condition, curing an extra condition and providing healing.

I've included a 10s ICD in with the "notes" so that it doesn't become way too powerful. It would be extremely broken if there was no ICD at all, imagine curing each condition and having an extra condition cured right after with no cooldown to balance it out. That would be way too much.The healing that I would like to see in this would be to better fit the overall theme of the trait line, as according to the Wiki, it's supposed to be a trait line focused on defense and healing, so having some more passive healing (after certain criteria is met, of course)/defense would better thematically fit, and offer the right defense that Engineer should be getting when taking this trait line.

@archmagus.7249 said:

Yeah combine it with alchemy and you've got an insane healer.

I'm going through right now and seeing how to adjust Alchemy so the two trait lines don't offer too much in terms of healing. I'm looking mostly at backpack regenerator, and seeing how I could change it to better reflect the trait line's purpose, which is boon application and condition damage manipulation/mitigation.

Sure alchemy offers healing. You got a major trait which gives you a healing boost, another which gives regeneration on applying a boon, and a minor which gives healing for each boon applied, no cooldown. Not counting when you remove or convert a condition, it converts it to a boon. With e-gun and medkit you can easily sustain a zerg.