Humming Bird Skimmer MountFit Discussion

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro: Absolutely beautiful, dye channels are perfect, bright colors are plausible but not required, fun animations, real sense of personality in those beady eyes, is not an aquatic beast (hmm, this may be a hint that if we get an underwater mount it won't be a new skimmer skill b/c underwater hummingbird just would be ... wrong ... :) ), looks fantastic from almost any angle.

Con: Looks funky from the angle the owner will see most of the time, behind and above. The shape is just weird from that vantage. And the wings give me motion sickness. Mild so far, but I won't be parking on my skimmer bird, I can feel my tummy tilting towards nausea when I do. A full blur like a RL hummingbird would likely be less of a problem for me but then you'd never see the wings at all and it would look really odd.

This skin is not only adorable but gorgeous. I'd pay twice the amount if it also over-layed the Raptor skin and I don't think that's much of a stretch. After all, the Raptor's big move is to jump far and wouldn't you expect a flying bird to "jump far"? ;)

@Randulf.7614 said:(...) It hovers above the ground higher than the skimmer (...)

Not really... one key functionality of the Skimmer is to be able to go over obstacles on endurance so the base hovering height has to be fixed or the system breaks, whatever the skin - this one just has the half front upstanding but the tail is the fixed reference for that constant base height.

It's a beautiful skin and I like the way it changes the look of a mount so completely. Still, even if I got it from a BLC drop I'm not sure I'd use it. The skimmer is my second most used mount and I jump on it whenever crossing water, extensive swampland or quicksand in the desert. To me, a hummingbird doesn't fit those uses as well as a regular skimmer does. Even if this particular one doesn't work for me though, I still like this kind of experimentation with different looks and am looking forward to seeing more skins for the other mounts.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Humming Bird Skimmer Skin2k gems. Also an uncommon drop from new BL chests.

Image on Dulfy here and here.

I think it's maybe the funnest MountFit they've released so far. (Doesn't even look like a skimmer!)Well done.

It's a fine mount. Not for me but I like it. I just hate that by existing it almost confirms we're never getting skimmers that can go underwater. :pensive:

Very happy to have such an interesting and exciting and...less clammy skimmer skin! There is just something about a manta ray beast that is not warm and cuddly (including the pup minis which, sorry to say, immediately put me in mind of live fishbait) so it's good to see something more huggable in the Skimmer lineup.

I've been hoarding most of my keyfarming keys for months now in hope of something like this, and was lucky enough to get it on the seventh key, so I still have a hoard for the next cool chest update.

@"MokahTGS.7850" said:I like the mount EXCEPT, where the player is sitting on it. It looks odd to be so far back, weirdly on the tail of a bird. It's just not where a saddle would be if you were to ride a large humming bird.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/08/6e/67/086e6710a448932f5f51acc5d7a4090b--cartoon-movies-movie-characters.jpg

Sitting that high on the bird would interfere with its vision... and require a completely different rig, because it's still a Skimmer.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:
Humming Bird Skimmer Skin
2k gems. Also an uncommon drop from new BL chests.

Image on Dulfy
and

I think it's maybe the funnest MountFit they've released so far. (Doesn't even look like a skimmer!)Well done.

It's a fine mount. Not for me but I like it. I just hate that by existing it almost confirms we're never getting skimmers that can go underwater. :pensive:

They're more likely to just introduce a new mount for that.