[Feature request] Disabling minipets in Settings

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:The game does already hide mini pets when a map is close to full, as a way of improving performance. But I'm not sure how effective hiding them just on your screen would be, since it would have to be done client side it's another process for your computer to run - less demand on the graphics card maybe but another thing for the processor to do, and the end result of those two might be little/no improvement.

I certainly wouldn't object to Anet adding the option, but I wouldn't count on it as a fix for low-end machines.

@Gop.8713 said:There are a lot of cosmetic 'features' I'd like to disable on other players but unfortunately those cosmetics drive gems sales and the ppl who buy them buy them so other players can see them. And since that lets me play the game for free after initial purchase, I'll live with it . . .

That's a pretty broad assumption to make. I've bought a lot of cosmetic items from the gem store (especially mini pets) but I couldn't care less if anyone else sees them. I buy them for me to enjoy, not for other people.

But what you do isn't relevant, you're just one person. What matters is that anet makes money off ppl who buy cosmetics from the gemstore and fewer cosmetics would be sold if the ppl buying them knew other players had the option to avoid seeing them . . .

If there weren't ANY players who cared about whether other players could see their cosmetics you would have a point, but there are . . .

Late reply, but I wonder if you'd have said the same if I had agreed with you? You are also just one person and in no better position to speak for everyone who buys mini pets than I am. And yet you're willing to set yourself up to speak for everyone
except me
and tell us what their reasons are for buying them.

Er, no . . .

My point is exactly that whatever one particular person comes on and says about their minipet preferences is irrelevant. As long as there are some ppl who would decide not to buy cosmetics based on the ease of them being turned off, my point stands. Your point is only effective if no such ppl exist. Now if you want to say the fact that I can't prove those ppl exist means that they don't exist that's fine, but I'd say you have your head in the sand . . .

@"Gop.8713" said:My point is exactly that whatever one particular person comes on and says about their minipet preferences is irrelevant. As long as there are some ppl who would decide not to buy cosmetics based on the ease of them being turned off, my point stands. Your point is only effective if no such ppl exist. Now if you want to say the fact that I can't prove those ppl exist means that they don't exist that's fine, but I'd say you have your head in the sand . . .

Though, what (at least I am) trying to say that people that would turn off minipets are the ones that do not care about minipets at all and they are most likely not the crowd of those people that are buying minipets to impress others since they are not impressed by minipets whether they see them on hide them.

I personally, who would definitely turn off minipets display (since am the one asking for this feature) would not care at all of someone starts bragging to me how they have spent 500g or 5000g or xyz hours to unlock minipet that just walks behind them.That is why I think number of sold minipets would not drop if they include this feature, especially since other people would not know if I can see minipets or not so even if someone is bragging to me about their minipets I could just say "awesome, congrats!" as I have seen them since my reaction would not be any different if I really seen them...

The only potential issue could be if someone wanted to switch on and off that feature in game, but it could be solved by enabling or disabling a feature required game restart and logging in again just so it renders or not renders all minipets again.

@banJelacic.4201 said:

@Gop.8713 said:My point is exactly that whatever one particular person comes on and says about their minipet preferences is irrelevant. As long as there are some ppl who would decide not to buy cosmetics based on the ease of them being turned off, my point stands. Your point is only effective if no such ppl exist. Now if you want to say the fact that I can't prove those ppl exist means that they don't exist that's fine, but I'd say you have your head in the sand . . .

Though, what (at least I am) trying to say that people that would turn off minipets are the ones that do not care about minipets at all and they are most likely not the crowd of those people that are buying minipets to impress others since they are not impressed by minipets whether they see them on hide them.What I am saying is that ppl exist who buy cosmetics for other ppl to see, and those ppl would be less likely to buy them if they thought other ppl would not see them . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:My point is exactly that whatever one particular person comes on and says about their minipet preferences is irrelevant. As long as there are some ppl who would decide not to buy cosmetics based on the ease of them being turned off, my point stands. Your point is only effective if no such ppl exist. Now if you want to say the fact that I can't prove those ppl exist means that they don't exist that's fine, but I'd say you have your head in the sand . . .

Though, what (at least I am) trying to say that people that would turn off minipets are the ones that do not care about minipets at all and they are most likely not the crowd of those people that are buying minipets to impress others since they are not impressed by minipets whether they see them on hide them.What I am saying is that ppl exist who buy cosmetics for other ppl to see, and those ppl would be less likely to buy them if they thought other ppl would not see them . . .

I don't think anyone's disagreeing that those people exist, just questioning how many of them there actually are and whether their desires should over-rule everyone else's.

You seem to be saying that their desire to have other people see their mini pet takes precedence over anyone else's desire to not see it. Is that correct? And if so why? Do you think there's so many people who buy minis for other people to see that losing those sales would have a significant effect on Anet's profits? Do you think they're more important and Anet should prioritise listening to what they want over other people?

I'm sure you could find people who like and dislike every single change that's been made to this game, and any other. It's impossible to please everyone, so the fact that someone, somewhere might not like a change doesn't seem like a good reason not to do it.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

I don't think anyone's disagreeing that those people exist, just questioning how many of them there actually are and whether their desires should over-rule everyone else's.

The reason they are more important is that they make money for anet. Giving ppl an option to turn minis off does not make money for anet. It's exactly what I said in my original post . . .@Gop.8713 said:There are a lot of cosmetic 'features' I'd like to disable on other players but unfortunately those cosmetics drive gems sales and the ppl who buy them buy them so other players can see them. And since that lets me play the game for free after initial purchase, I'll live with it . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

The reason they are more important is that they make money for anet. Giving ppl an option to turn minis off does not make money for anet. It's exactly what I said in my original post . . .@Gop.8713 said:There are a lot of cosmetic 'features' I'd like to disable on other players but unfortunately those cosmetics drive gems sales and the ppl who buy them buy them so other players can see them. And since that lets me play the game for free after initial purchase, I'll live with it . . .

True, that turning minipets off will not make any money for Anet directly, but will make a lot of current player happier while playing their game so they might spend more time playing it so they will either recommend the game to others even more or will buy something else that they might not if they are spending less time in game.You can look at it in sense of if disabling minipets in game would boost mine or elses game performance - some people wouldnt need to save money for new graphic card so would be able to spend more money in gem store.

@banJelacic.4201 said:

@Nogothanc.5014 said:As far as I remember in the beginning of GW2 Arenanet was into developing minipet arenas where minipets could battle each other.... unfortuantely that has been dropped. So minis are just fluff cosmetic...

Understandable since cockfighting is now illegal...

Yeah and Pokemon games are legal. Your point is?

• 4 years later...

Yes please

Either hide mini's or volume slider for mini's in  settings please

In my search in dealing with these annoying mini sound effects I searched if it was possible to hide mini's somehow, I landed on this thread, but seems not

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1