Future in GW 2

Hi everyone, i'm a gamer like all of you, i play a lot of games, i played World of warcraft for 14 years, Aion, Lineage 1 and 2, etc etc, the sheer amount of hours i dedicate to games is already past my own comprehension of why i do it, but i enjoy it, and like so i would like to keep at it.

I am a player in GW 2, as well, i got my fair share of hours, with some breaks in between, in those breaks i always come back to check how much of a future is present in GW 2, for me the game has an unmeasured amount of potential, but this is what i see, usually you can measure potential of a game like an mmo by the sheer number of players playing it, and GW 2 compared to other mmos have never been on top, i know a lot of you do not like to hear it, but unfortunately it is a fact, compared to WoW, and some other titles it always lacked, but still some players stick to it, like me, well most of the time. I'm making this post mostly to look for a reassuring opinions, or just to see the reason behind why you play GW2, i myself keep losing interest in these games, but due to my out of control imagination, i keep imagining ways on how the story present in gw 2 could end, what else could they improve, and unlike WoW, which i lost total interest, gw 2 has a weird charm to it that makes me come back, maybe it is the story telling, maybe i like the fashion behind it, the combat, the wvw or the pvp, i do not know for sure, but it is something in between, i wanted to come back to gw 2, but i am not sure i want to give the game a chance, i enjoy it sure, but i start to see issues like the ones present in activision, EA and other few companies that seem to detoriate their games more and their communities, more then actually help them or please them with their products.

So as said, why do you guys keep playing the game, do you see a future behind the game, for me it has been feeling like arena net is just trying to drag the game to profitise as much as possible, not judging them for doing so, business is business, but is the exchange fair, are you guys having the fun you always expected for the money you spent, if you actually spent any i guess, do you see a future in gw 2, would it be smart to reinvest in the game again, right now how many of you feel like the game is sort of broken (for example like they cannot fix some of the old content because of the outdated code on dungeons for example), i am looking for well opinions, nothing to agressive but be honest if you can, ty vm everyone xd!

Personally i dont see a strong future for the game outside of maybe keeping the norm with lw updates.

I dont really play the game anymore but i cant say i didnt get enjoyment out of it. Deff got way more enjoyment than the money i've spend on it over the years.

If i was to suggest to someone which mmo to pick i sadly wouldnt suggest gw2 unless they wanted a short/medium term engagement and had very limited playtime.

Theres just nothing noteworthy or exciting in the horizon for gw2 and i feel like other mmos are doing a better job of staying relevant and exciting their existing and potentially new players.

It's expectations, imo. People expect MMO to entertain for long period. It's simply not possible, they can't do that. What GW2 can is bring new episodes. Couple of group content, quests etc. They can't produce complete new adventure every 3-4 mounts that will keep one entertained for 200-300 play hours. What I do in GW2 is setup long term goal. My last one was dropped spark and it's not like I run dagger main profession but over 5-6 mounts I got all the mats just simply playing the game. Now I have almost got everything for upcoming GS. Do the LWs (not a AP hunter) run my daily fractals, after so many years I still find them fun. That is about it. Used to pvp here not anymore.

I am hoping for a new expansion one day, they will have my support there. My real hope is for a GW3, even though GW2 still holds up visually, I am sure with today's modern coding and visuals we could have something even more astounding to see and more game play features. GW3 would be an instant pre-purchase for me, I think I'd like start a new adventure in Guild Wars and working my way back up again.

Ex wow player here too, i mainly got into the game as it had a free trial and the start experience was very good (straight into the action).I enjoyed the personal story.

I think the game does have a future- anet seems more focussed since the lay offs. And the living world maps seem well populated?

I have a few gripes, there seem to be a few bugs on what is now old content that was never fixed-- and the difficulty level for non raid stuff in some areas is much harder than wow ( the mordremeth and confessors end fight drove me insane). I almost rage quit when i was disconnected after winning the fight!!. But thats probably more about me being too old and slow reacting i guess.

Hopefully we will get an xpac.

@"Hugedeal.5426" said:Hi everyone, i'm a gamer like all of you, i play a lot of games, i played World of warcraft for 14 years, Aion, Lineage 1 and 2, etc etc, the sheer amount of hours i dedicate to games is already past my own comprehension of why i do it, but i enjoy it, and like so i would like to keep at it.

I am a player in GW 2, as well, i got my fair share of hours, with some breaks in between, in those breaks i always come back to check how much of a future is present in GW 2, for me the game has an unmeasured amount of potential, but this is what i see, usually you can measure potential of a game like an mmo by the sheer number of players playing it, and GW 2 compared to other mmos have never been on top, i know a lot of you do not like to hear it, but unfortunately it is a fact, compared to WoW, and some other titles it always lacked, but still some players stick to it, like me, well most of the time. I'm making this post mostly to look for a reassuring opinions, or just to see the reason behind why you play GW2, i myself keep losing interest in these games, but due to my out of control imagination, i keep imagining ways on how the story present in gw 2 could end, what else could they improve, and unlike WoW, which i lost total interest, gw 2 has a weird charm to it that makes me come back, maybe it is the story telling, maybe i like the fashion behind it, the combat, the wvw or the pvp, i do not know for sure, but it is something in between, i wanted to come back to gw 2, but i am not sure i want to give the game a chance, i enjoy it sure, but i start to see issues like the ones present in activision, EA and other few companies that seem to detoriate their games more and their communities, more then actually help them or please them with their products.

So as said, why do you guys keep playing the game, do you see a future behind the game, for me it has been feeling like arena net is just trying to drag the game to profitise as much as possible, not judging them for doing so, business is business, but is the exchange fair, are you guys having the fun you always expected for the money you spent, if you actually spent any i guess, do you see a future in gw 2, would it be smart to reinvest in the game again, right now how many of you feel like the game is sort of broken (for example like they cannot fix some of the old content because of the outdated code on dungeons for example), i am looking for well opinions, nothing to agressive but be honest if you can, ty vm everyone xd!

To be honest, I'm sort of struggling myself, and I don't really have an answer to your question. While Guild Wars 2 combat system is amazing, and that the game possibilities seems uncountable, Anet doesn't appear to utilise those possibilities. At first I thought they couldn't see it, but I've come to think they do not do it as fear that it will push the game into one direction too much. However all is not lost Communities are very strong in GW2 and it seems that Anet is somewhat responding to what they say. The only issue is that how much effort does it take from the players to voice out those opinions through a community. Forums surely doesn't seem to be much help.

I'm myself very tempted to stop GW2 to go play FFonline as I'm loosing interest in the game as nothing seem to deliver. It feels like a never ending promess. Also, since micro-transaction which most games are exploiting I don't think it is justifiable anymore to say that "it's a f2p game therefore it releases less content".

So I'm strongly starting to question what GW2 is doing. There are so many features which other games have, which GW2 could have but do not have. Also I created a post about it some time ago, but GW2 doesn't seem to bring it's player together to play the game, apart from PvP and WvW maybe... which sort of makes it relevant to party up with people. PvE doesn't provide that (and I'm seriously questioning why); no matter how I look at it, it doesn't make sense.

Also I don't think I'm wrong in saying that, but every single community of players seems to think that the content is lacking, whereas they are 'Casual PvE players', 'Hardcore PvE players', 'WvW players' etc... I guess new players wouldn't feel that, as they have so much to explore and do. But anyone who's played the game for more than a year straight seems to have reached the point that you are just doing content or farming stuff without any true motivation behind it, other than "I'm playing this MMORPG, and I already unlocked so much utility things in this game, which I won't find in other game" and the "combat system is nice" however I'm not sure the combat system is enough to keep players playing a game. That's why I'd say that a lot of people seems to go and come back to GW2, but at some points, I'm guessing they will be fed up and stop.

Given your past of Lineage, WoW and Aion, there is a very good chance GW2 is not for you. Especially if you want to sink in 8 hours per day consistently.

GW2 is a more casual approach to MMOs and relies heavily on playing with others. The main benefit it brings is being very open about achieving goals. Everything you acquire will retain its value. That's also its biggest weakness for many players. Not having a constant gear grind really throws many people off who are in constant pursuit of that next shiny.

@tim.4596 said:

@"Hugedeal.5426" said:Hi everyone, i'm a gamer like all of you, i play a lot of games, i played World of warcraft for 14 years, Aion, Lineage 1 and 2, etc etc, the sheer amount of hours i dedicate to games is already past my own comprehension of why i do it, but i enjoy it, and like so i would like to keep at it.

To be honest, I'm sort of struggling myself, and I don't really have an answer to your question. While Guild Wars 2 combat system is amazing, and that the game possibilities seems uncountable, Anet doesn't appear to utilise those possibilities. At first I thought they couldn't see it, but I've come to think they do not do it as fear that it will push the game into one direction too much. However all is not lost Communities are very strong in GW2 and it seems that Anet is somewhat responding to what they say. The only issue is that how much effort does it take from the players to voice out those opinions through a community. Forums surely doesn't seem to be much help.

I'm myself very tempted to stop GW2 to go play FFonline as I'm loosing interest in the game as nothing seem to deliver. It feels like a never ending promess. Also, since micro-transaction which most games are exploiting I don't think it is justifiable anymore to say that "it's a f2p game therefore it releases less content".

So I'm strongly starting to question what GW2 is doing. There are so many features which other games have, which GW2 could have but do not have. Also I created a post about it some time ago, but GW2 doesn't seem to bring it's player together to play the game, apart from PvP and WvW maybe... which sort of makes it relevant to party up with people. PvE doesn't provide that (and I'm seriously questioning why); no matter how I look at it, it doesn't make sense.

Also I don't think I'm wrong in saying that, but every single community of players seems to think that the content is lacking, whereas they are 'Casual PvE players', 'Hardcore PvE players', 'WvW players' etc... I guess new players wouldn't feel that, as they have so much to explore and do. But anyone who's played the game for more than a year straight seems to have reached the point that you are just doing content or farming stuff without any true motivation behind it, other than "I'm playing this MMORPG, and I already unlocked so much utility things in this game, which I won't find in other game" and the "combat system is nice" however I'm not sure the combat system is enough to keep players playing a game. That's why I'd say that a lot of people seems to go and come back to GW2, but at some points, I'm guessing they will be fed up and stop.

With respect to running out of things to do, i suspect one of the big attractions of GW2 is also a downfall of it?

I am talking about the gear grind.Ive come from wow...which is in many ways inferior- but i always had options in game to improve my gear no matter how long i had been playing. Or i could simply work on reputation for factions etc.

It is hard to get people to do stuff without rewards - even if it should be for fun.

Im new here (6 weeks in) so lots to do still, but once i am full ascended? It will be harder to motivate myself logging in.

@Hugedeal.5426 said:usually you can measure potential of a game like an mmo by the sheer number of players playing it, and GW 2 compared to other mmos have never been on top, i know a lot of you do not like to hear it, but unfortunately it is a fact, compared to WoW, and some other titles it always lacked, but still some players stick to it, like me, well most of the time. I'm making this post mostly to look for a reassuring opinions, or just to see the reason behind why you play GW2, i myself keep losing interest in these games, but due to my out of control imagination, i keep imagining ways on how the story present in gw 2 could end, what else could they improve, and unlike WoW, which i lost total interest, gw 2 has a weird charm to it that makes me come back, maybe it is the story telling, maybe i like the fashion behind it, the combat, the wvw or the pvp, i do not know for sure, but it is something in between, i wanted to come back to gw 2, but i am not sure i want to give the game a chance, i enjoy it sure, but i start to see issues like the ones present in activision, EA and other few companies that seem to detoriate their games more and their communities, more then actually help them or please them with their products.

Sorry but all these issues are self inflicted and completely arbitrary as conclusions. Besides making the safe assumption that WoW is the most populated, based on the number they used to publish years ago (which is becoming a less safe assumption as of late with the state of WoW) there is absolutely NO way to know what the population of the other popular games are. There are no numbers and the only thing the companies publish are the created accounts which can only tell that a game is generally popular but at no way give you an exact feeling of which one is more popular than the other. The game populations fluctuate too much for any kind of assumption to make sense. Only the companies know their player base. All of us may have an opinion of what is more popular or not but in the end of the day all these assumptions are meaningless and inaccurate. Its a very bad idea to make gaming decisions based on sth like this.

I do not understand if your issues is the monetization, the value for money, the gameplay, the future after the layoffs?. I literally cannot follow what are your doubts since you are mixing different things together that should be taken into account mostly independently. Cash shop monetization is one thing, the value that the boxed purchases offer is another, the quality of the older content a third, the uncertain future due to recent events is a separate thing as well.

And when you say invest do you mean time or money? The game is b2p. After the initial investment that you probably already done thats it. You mean investing money on the cash shop? Its fully optional so why does that affect your willingness to play? what is the particular things that make you think Anet is monetizing this game more aggressively than before?

In the end of the day other ppl's opinions do not matter. Do not over-analyze stuff. If you enjoy the game now, play now until you do not enjoy it anymore. Simple as that. Anet will do what is best for their company for best or worse for the game. None knows if that would be put the game on maintenance mode or actually focus on it. Too early to tell. You are searching for an answer that does not exist yet and its meaningless to assume about. Just play the game as long as you enjoy it. End of story.

My personal theory is that all the staff fired at Arenanet were working on new development projects. You know, creating new games or new big non-GW2 projects. Arenanet realized that financially it wasn't working and that the MMO market isn't really very hot right now (the craze is basically over). So they scaled back.

Recent roadmap announcements however seem to indicate that all the remaining staff were dedicated back to making GW2 better. So Anet is basically able to focus on GW2 harcore for the short term. As such, I see GW2 as having a relatively bright future actually.

@trev.1045 said:

@tim.4596 said:

With respect to running out of things to do, i suspect one of the big attractions of GW2 is also a downfall of it?

I am talking about the gear grind.Ive come from wow...which is in many ways inferior- but i always had options in game to improve my gear no matter how long i had been playing. Or i could simply work on reputation for factions etc.

It is hard to get people to do stuff without rewards - even if it should be for fun.

Im new here (6 weeks in) so lots to do still, but once i am full ascended? It will be harder to motivate myself logging in.

I have guildies that came from other MMOs, that sued to do 10 daily quests for reps, make gear and wait for new update that will get them back to gear grind.I played my fair share of other MMOs, including one that didn't have open world, just hubs and dungeons with open pvp area between hubs.May I point you to collections in GW2? We don't have quests here we have collections.If you missed grinding for gear, have you look at legendary weapons? If you aren't big fun of shinies, maybe grinding fractals for 5/9 infusions will work for you?

@phs.6089 said:

@tim.4596 said:

I have guildies that came from other MMOs, that sued to do 10 daily quests for reps, make gear and wait for new update that will get them back to gear grind.I played my fair share of other MMOs, including one that didn't have open world, just hubs and dungeons with open pvp area between hubs.May I point you to collections in GW2? We don't have quests here we have collections.If you missed grinding for gear, have you look at legendary weapons? If you aren't big fun of shinies, maybe grinding fractals for 5/9 infusions will work for you?

Im not missing the grind at all right now :) i am working my way through the story still (just finished head of the snake).

I just suspect that for established players any content drought is felt more keenly since they cant work on incremental gains...im not saying the lack of gear treadmil is a bad thing- Just that it can be a double edged sword.

Wow - wastes all content from previous xpacs as it becomes irrelevant in the next xpac - to be honest i dont think GW2 has the budget to do that! so i do think the gearing system and scaling etc make sense for GW2. It is interesting to see the totally different approaches they have

But nope, definitely having fun right now (although some of the living world end bosses are frustrating for me)

@trev.1045 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@tim.4596 said:

Im not missing the grind at all right now :) i am working my way through the story still (just finished head of the snake).

I just suspect that for established players any content drought is felt more keenly since they cant work on incremental gains...im not saying the lack of gear treadmil is a bad thing- Just that it can be a double edged sword.

Wow - wastes all content from previous xpacs as it becomes irrelevant in the next xpac - to be honest i dont think GW2 has the budget to do that! so i do think the gearing system and scaling etc make sense for GW2. It is interesting to see the totally different approaches they have

But nope, definitely having fun right now (although some of the living world end bosses are frustrating for me)

In a way after getting your first ascended gear may be seen that is end of things but it's just the first step to full freedom in game, freedom to go do whatever you want.given that 80% of game doesn't event need to be done in ascended.GW2 just doesn't hold your hand and points you to things, takes a bit of time to get used to.

@Hugedeal.5426 said:So as said, why do you guys keep playing the game, do you see a future behind the game, for me it has been feeling like arena net is just trying to drag the game to profitise as much as possible, not judging them for doing so, business is business, but is the exchange fair, are you guys having the fun you always expected for the money you spent, if you actually spent any i guess, do you see a future in gw 2, would it be smart to reinvest in the game again, right now how many of you feel like the game is sort of broken (for example like they cannot fix some of the old content because of the outdated code on dungeons for example), i am looking for well opinions, nothing to agressive but be honest if you can, ty vm everyone xd!

Honestly, it's not clear to me at all. As Anet still keep to themselves about their future plan. They issued sort of plan recently, but it's rather general directions, no specifics. For me, for example, the indicator of their true care about game's future would be re-work of all core professions to make them on par with elites, fixing issues with certain professions and certain weapons for those professions under-performing (Elementalist and its dagger/dagger weapon setup etc), adding more engaging, challenging content to OpenWorld, to keep players interested, not just pleasing casuals wishing to farm everything by hitting one button, their future DLC plans - and they haven't addressed any of those in their announcements so far.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@Hugedeal.5426 said:So as said, why do you guys keep playing the game, do you see a future behind the game, for me it has been feeling like arena net is just trying to drag the game to profitise as much as possible, not judging them for doing so, business is business, but is the exchange fair, are you guys having the fun you always expected for the money you spent, if you actually spent any i guess, do you see a future in gw 2, would it be smart to reinvest in the game again, right now how many of you feel like the game is sort of broken (for example like they cannot fix some of the old content because of the outdated code on dungeons for example), i am looking for well opinions, nothing to agressive but be honest if you can, ty vm everyone xd!

Honestly, it's not clear to me at all. As Anet still keep to themselves about their future plan. They issued sort of plan recently, but it's rather general directions, no specifics. For me, for example, the indicator of their true care about game's future would be re-work of all core professions to make them on par with elites, fixing issues with certain professions and certain weapons for those professions under-performing (Elementalist and its dagger/dagger weapon setup etc), adding more engaging, challenging content to OpenWorld, to keep players interested, not just pleasing casuals wishing to farm everything by hitting one button, their future DLC plans - and they haven't addressed any of those in their announcements so far.

So if all cores are on par with elite specs making em elite worthy and wer only allowed one elite would you be happy with 1 line per character?

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Hugedeal.5426" said:So as said, why do you guys keep playing the game, do you see a future behind the game, for me it has been feeling like arena net is just trying to drag the game to profitise as much as possible, not judging them for doing so, business is business, but is the exchange fair, are you guys having the fun you always expected for the money you spent, if you actually spent any i guess, do you see a future in gw 2, would it be smart to reinvest in the game again, right now how many of you feel like the game is sort of broken (for example like they cannot fix some of the old content because of the outdated code on dungeons for example), i am looking for well opinions, nothing to agressive but be honest if you can, ty vm everyone xd!

So if all cores are on par with elite specs making em elite worthy and wer only allowed one elite would you be happy with 1 line per character?

Could you elaborate? As I honestly don't see your point. But just in case, I meant to make them viable option, comparing to their current state of hopeless underdogs used almost exclusively for fun in OpenWorld after reaching lv 80. They need not to be exactly equal, they could be, like, 5-10% behind the elits in terms of raw DPS output. Thus the main purpose of elites would be to provide a different way to play, not the only way to play. Thus drastically increasing diversity of builds you can effectively use, and achieving what people keeps asking again and again - new ways to play. Currently, 50-80% of game mechanics tied to core professions are not used after you've reached 80lv. They are just dead weight, despite all the hours invested in developing them. By reworking them and refactoring into something that is comparable to elites in its efficiency, you can add 9 "new" professions for people to use, without actually adding anything.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:

@"Hugedeal.5426" said:So as said, why do you guys keep playing the game, do you see a future behind the game, for me it has been feeling like arena net is just trying to drag the game to profitise as much as possible, not judging them for doing so, business is business, but is the exchange fair, are you guys having the fun you always expected for the money you spent, if you actually spent any i guess, do you see a future in gw 2, would it be smart to reinvest in the game again, right now how many of you feel like the game is sort of broken (for example like they cannot fix some of the old content because of the outdated code on dungeons for example), i am looking for well opinions, nothing to agressive but be honest if you can, ty vm everyone xd!

Could you elaborate? As I honestly don't see your point. But just in case, I meant to make them
viable option
, comparing to their current state of hopeless underdogs used almost exclusively for fun in OpenWorld after reaching lv 80. They need not to be exactly equal, they could be, like, 5-10% behind the elits in terms of raw DPS output. Thus the main purpose of elites would be to provide a
different
way to play, not
the only way to play
. Thus drastically increasing diversity of builds you can effectively use, and achieving what people keeps asking again and again - new ways to play. Currently, 50-80% of game mechanics tied to core professions are not used after you've reached 80lv. They are just dead weight, despite all the hours invested in developing them. By reworking them and refactoring into something that is comparable to elites in its efficiency, you can add 9 "new" professions for people to use, without actually adding anything.

Actualy agree with that, aint that what they said would be the case back in the day?