How would a Charr end up travelling with an Asura?

Hawkray.9105

Could this happen in say, random adventures? Both the Asura and Charr are very particular folk, but could a travelling Asura help out a wounded Charr and the two become adventuring buddies?Asura seem to REALLY care about their brilliance and how others see them, so it's like "go to uni and make something or you're dumb."Meanwhile Charr have a whole society based around warbands, or you're a gladium. I haven't heard about many "adventuring/lone wolf" Charr, or even Asura really.I expect these "fateful encounter" type of thing to be more normal for a Norn, since their whole thing is to craft your "legend" and do whatever you think will make you awesome. Same with humans and sylvari who are very free spirited.But yeah, do we have cases like these in game?

Thanks!

well, according to Ghosts of Ascalon, charr hire mercenaries. And as we can see in the game AND the books, not all asura are geniuses inventing in their labs. In fact, most asura 'think' they are a genius... but there it stops.

So it makes sense that some asura realized that s/he will never be a great inventor but is looking for making money will offer services to anyone with a big enough wallet. These asura know that there is nothing to brag about and probably be a lot nicer to have around.

So from that POV. A/C working together fits. Now would an asura help a wounded charr or the other way around? Well, the world is filled with dangers. Most dangers are a bit less dangerous if you are not alone. Charr and asura are smart enough to figure that one out. The rest depends on the characters. A Phlunt will have a hard time making any friends. An Efut on the other hand will probably have no trouble befriending some charrs. An iron legion engineer will probably have enough things to talk about that an asura might find interesting. So it works in both ways.

Awesome input!I just had this shower thought... could the Asura perform body augmentations?Looking at Asuran tech, and what Scarlet Briar showed, we can imagine that Holosmiths' Photon Forge is a suit of hardlight armor of sorts. Could they create a sustained hardlight augmented body part? Such as an arm, for example.

I just wondered what a hardlight-augmented fighter would look like. Maybe on a Charr since we're on topic. I'm 100% sure there are some Charr who would be down for some augmentations if it meant more power.The Inquest already showed us they can move minds into golems and they vivisected Sylvari to understand their body at one point, if I remember correctly. We know about small body tweaks, like an eye (at least that's what I think some of those one eyed scientists are), but yeah, would be cool to see some of that photon forge tech put into a more sustainable use that doesn't implode the "host". (If we're talking bodypart replacement)

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@Fenom.9457 said:Are you referring to the Ghosts of Ascalon book? Destiny's Edge? I'm lost. But of course its possible

all three books show asura that are not THAT smart. Also the game has non-genius asura everywhere.

Yeah, they vary just like any other race. Just their average IQ is much higher.

The closest I could think of on short notice is the pair of the asura Jeek and the sylvari Ailionora in Snowden Drifts. Given the reason Jeek gives for why he tolerates the sylvari's cheerful presence, I could see other asura using a similar reason for keeping a ferocious charr around as a bodyguard/adventuring partner. :)

Jeek: Ah, Snowden Drifts. A land teeming with resources and test subjects to be exploited for the greater good. Such a wonderful place.
Player: Does your companion share your attitudes about this area?
Jeek: Ailionora? Let's just say you can take the sylvari out of the tree, but you can't take the tree out of the sylvari. Her feelings about using these animals for the greater good is downright naïve.
Player: If you don't like her views, why do you travel with her?
Jeek: Are you snowblind? There are dangers around every corner in Snowden Drifts! Having a towering giant of a woman like her around is worth putting up with her annoying attitude.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:I am not sure. They just love big words.

Actually brain size relative to body in real world species has been linked to intelligence. So it's likely that Asura do have a higher base intelligence. There's also the fact that their knowledge of the inner workings of magic is shown to be better than any other species on Tyria save maybe the dwarves who seem to mainly know so much because of how old they are. Might actually be a good explanation for why Asura doctors are fairly common in the pact, being a physician requires quite a lot of knowledge and Asura seem to have the best education system we've seen.

Edit: The Asura education system is probably another reason for their superior technology and knowledge of magic. I say technology because their approach to magic means it is basically technology.

@"Fenom.9457" said:Are you referring to the Ghosts of Ascalon book? Destiny's Edge? I'm lost. But of course its possible

all three books show asura that are not THAT smart. Also the game has non-genius asura everywhere.

From the top of my head, one is with pirates on ship in Lornar's Pass, try to speak to a pirate asura there.

found the guy on wiki )https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crewmaster_Dreggs

This kind of stuff can happen all over the place in common roleplays. But the first asura-charr duo that comes to mind that is presented ingame are Fero and Barron who work together via the Durmand Priory, researching dredge sonic weaponry. They are one of the optional recruits for Priory members to retake Claw Island.

But as for how common this can be... quite common. Some charr are born and raised outside the Legion and the warband system, most notably in Lion's Arch, and now it's been revealed that Olmakhans are a thing, so a wandering Olmakhan has no warband ties either. Asuras too have the chance to be not associated with a College or a Krewe. A mentor-apprentice relationship like Zojja is to Taimi or how Snaff was to Zojja is a fair substitute to the entire College structure, and if some unfortunate asura was drafted into the Inquest at a young age by one of those recruiters, and grew up in the MetaKrewe, they would technically not be associated with either college despite how proficient they are in science. (But they would likely be Inquest defectors at that point, not a healthy stress-free origin)

They can partner up for absolutely whatever reason that makes sense to both characters. The asura would probably see the charr as a body-guard or muscle to keep around if nothing else, and the charr could simply be looking for someone to latch onto, since they are probably very much biologically wired to be part of a pack, however small. Any random favor from the asura can garner enough positive response that a lonely charr would hang out with them for a prolonged time, and a friendship can be formed.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@Hawkray.9105 said:How would a Charr end up travelling with an Asura?

One possible scenario is a Charr and an Asura would argue which tech is better and they will end up traveling together trying to prove the other wrong. It would be like a Scrapper vs Holosmith debate.

Or for another motive, they could be working on trying to develop an Asura/Charr technology fusion weapon, if your Charr is an inventor or engineer.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@Hawkray.9105 said:How would a Charr end up travelling with an Asura?

One possible scenario is a Charr and an Asura would argue which tech is better and they will end up traveling together trying to prove the other wrong. It would be like a Scrapper vs Holosmith debate.

Or for another motive, they could be working on trying to develop an Asura/Charr technology fusion weapon, if your Charr is an inventor or engineer.

And the Asura is trying to take over the world.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Actually brain size relative to body in real world species has been linked to intelligence. So it's likely that Asura do have a higher base intelligence. There's also the fact that their knowledge of the inner workings of magic is shown to be better than any other species on Tyria save maybe the dwarves who seem to mainly know so much because of how old they are. Might actually be a good explanation for why Asura doctors are fairly common in the pact, being a physician requires quite a lot of knowledge and Asura seem to have the best education system we've seen.

Edit: The Asura education system is probably another reason for their superior technology and knowledge of magic. I say technology because their approach to magic means it is basically technology.

well, dolphins have huge brains and for a long time people thought 'they must be really smart'. Turns out, most of it is fat and dolphins aren't smarter than average dogs.

So it wouldn't be far fetched to imagine asura brains being pretty low on actual neurons and filled with fat and glia to make them more robust in case of sudden rock-to-head events that aren't that uncommon if you are living in holes in the earth. Also living down in holes in the earth is usually a certain way to be energy starved. Energy starvation results in low metabolism and even slower brains. Koalas and Sloth, living on a very low every diet, are very dumb for a reason...

well, dolphins have huge brains and for a long time people thought 'they must be really smart'. Turns out, most of it is fat and dolphins aren't smarter than average dogs.

So it wouldn't be far fetched to imagine asura brains being pretty low on actual neurons and filled with fat and glia to make them more robust in case of sudden rock-to-head events that aren't that uncommon if you are living in holes in the earth. Also living down in holes in the earth is usually a certain way to be energy starved. Energy starvation results in low metabolism and even slower brains. Koalas and Sloth, living on a very low every diet, are very dumb for a reason...

No, dolphins are very smart based on observed behaviour. The scientific consensus hasn't really changed, not like that matters anyway. Asura are very smart based on observed behaviour as well.The low energy underground bit also doesn't really work because of how Tyria works, remember they setup a city near a huge nexus of magic, which is a form of energy. All evidence is just to the contrary of your claims. You've just got a clear and obvious bias.

Edit: Also the supposed 'not smart' Asura can be seen as an outlier and not the norm. The ones we see as pirates or any manner of more menial things could be college dropouts, which even then has more possible causes than just not being smart. Maybe they're lazy and didn't apply it properly, maybe they had an accident and were scared off, any number of things can happen. The higher intelligence thing is likely to deal more in averages regardless.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:

No, dolphins are very smart based on observed behaviour. The scientific consensus hasn't really changed, not like that matters anyway. Asura are very smart based on observed behaviour as well.The low energy underground bit also doesn't really work because of how Tyria works, remember they setup a city near a huge nexus of magic, which is a form of energy. All evidence is just to the contrary of your claims. You've just got a clear and obvious bias.

Edit: Also the supposed 'not smart' Asura can be seen as an outlier and not the norm. The ones we see as pirates or any manner of more menial things could be college dropouts, which even then has more possible causes than just not being smart. Maybe they're lazy and didn't apply it properly, maybe they had an accident and were scared off, any number of things can happen. The higher intelligence thing is likely to deal more in averages regardless.

or they just choose to live their lives that way despite their intelligence or are to arrogant too admit mistakes.

@derd.6413 said:

or they just choose to live their lives that way despite their intelligence or are to arrogant too admit mistakes.

Certainly another possibility, I can't include every reason an Asura might choose to take non scholarly pursuits, honestly they're pretty diverse.